Midwest Fly-In: KAMW

well bummer bob, i was really hoping to meet you! Next time...

tonycondon said:
alright and barry and grant are scheduled offf at 715. jesse and i are headed out to the airport. cant wait to see yall!
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N3904X

Can you say headwind?

07:31AM 41.92 -88.28 64 2000
07:32AM 41.92 -88.30 71 2700
arrow_up.gif

07:33AM 41.90 -88.33 92 3400
arrow_up.gif

07:34AM 41.88 -88.35 93 4000
arrow_up.gif

07:35AM 41.87 -88.38 116 4100
arrow_up.gif

07:36AM 41.85 -88.43 118 4100
07:40AM 41.82 -88.60 122 4000
arrow_down.gif

07:44AM 41.83 -88.75 110 4000
07:48AM 41.83 -88.92 113 4000
07:52AM 41.83 -89.07 110 4000
07:56AM 41.85 -89.23 111 4000
08:00AM 41.85 -89.37 101 4000
08:04AM 41.85 -89.53 107 4000
08:08AM 41.87 -89.68 103 3900
arrow_down.gif

08:10AM 41.87 -89.77 113 4000
arrow_up.gif

08:14AM 41.88 -89.92 118 4000
08:19AM 41.88 -90.12 111 4000
08:23AM 41.90 -90.27 104 390

James Dean

bkreager said:
Off to the airport, ETA 10:45

Boy, that's a long drive to the airport. :D

The promised 17G26 has so far failed to materialize here. I'm headed out to the airport in 1/2 hour or so, wheels up at 10:20 or thereabouts, ETA to KAMW a few minutes after noon. See you there.

PS I got a whopping three hours' sleep. :eek:

Last edited:
After a busy time in Chicago last weekend and a hectic time at work this past week, I opted for a lazy morning so far. I'm likely to be departing FCM around 10:30-11 AM arriving at AMW before noon.

James_Dean said:
Can you say headwind?
But the tailwind home was sweat. 3 hours to Ames and 2 hours home. Broke a land speed record for my Cherokee too as seen in the attached pic of the GPS.

It was great getting to see everyone, good food, good brats, good company. We gotta keep doing this! Thanks Tony et al for hosting.

Last edited:
I had a blast, Greg was nice enough to let me log the time on the way up, but I decided not to partake on the flying on the way back.

Nice meeting all ya guys, and thanks to the hosts for having us.

Jesse: cool flying with ya, but you owe me a proper base and final leg, although that power-off-semi-split S that you pulled after downwing was rather entertaining!

It would be very nice to do this again, perhaps pre-Christmas?

For those who took pics please most them! specially if anyone got a shot of the hot chick that stopped by with the skyhawk :D

Later all!

Sorry, guys, after more than the usual trauma trying to get airborne I decided I wasn't in the mood to bounce around for 3 hours. A pilot who had landed said they had to disengage the autopilot because it couldn't keep up. I wasn't in the mood for a trip in the paint shaker. Besides I would have barely made it there by sunset. THEN there's RAIN in the forecast!

It takes way too long to go that 50+ miles to the airport. This time there were only three road closures. I don't know how I ever put with that to get my PPL. I guess I had a goal then, and besides I was younger.

James_Dean said:
Can you say headwind?

James Dean
Yeah, but can you say TAILWIND?
FlightAware shows a top ground speed coming back of 186KT.
I admit, I saw 170 on the GPS, but I sure don't remember 186!

Thanks again to Barry for letting me deadhead out and back. Kent, sorry we missed you.

Here is Greg and Xavier (sp? Tomahawk674) taxiing up. Unfortunately the group shot I took didn't turn out at all.

Attachments

• DSCF0070.JPG
    DSCF0070.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Nice pic, and it's Javier, with a J hehe.

Hope some more pics are posted, so I can post them on my facebook...

mikea said:
Sorry, guys, after more than the usual trauma trying to get airborne I decided I wasn't in the mood to bounce around for 3 hours. A pilot who had landed said they had to disengage the autopilot because it couldn't keep up. I wasn't in the mood for a trip in the paint shaker. Besides I would have barely made it there by sunset. THEN there's RAIN in the forecast!

It takes way too long to go that 50+ miles to the airport. This time there were only three road closures. I don't know how I ever put with that to get my PPL. I guess I had a goal then, and besides I was younger.
Mik eit was smooth as ice on the way to Ames. The ride back was ok. A couple of times I had moderate turbulance only once did I have occasional heavy but that only lasted for a minute. Really I was been in much worse. The headwinds were a little strong. I had winds out of the NW at 55kts which gave me a 30 knot headwind but you can see I more than made up for that on the return. It was 3 hours there and 2 hours back.

I decided not to go when it was going to be 4:30 on the way out, and planned ground speed of about 84 kts.

Tomahawk674 said:
Nice pic, and it's Javier, with a J hehe.

Hope some more pics are posted, so I can post them on my facebook...
That's how I had spelled it originally, then I changed it. Of course. :redface: It was great meeting you!

mikea said:

You drive 50+ Miles to the Airport? That is dedication Mike:hairraise: :hairraise:

Woof. I came back from DC today commercially. The entire ride from DCA to Kansas City was a really rough ride (and we were treated to the seat belt sign on most of the way) and an exceptional headwind. We were 20+ minutes late, and FlightAware showed groundspeeds at least 60 knots above the "filed" or normal speed. The connection from Kansas City to San Antonio ran on time.

All I could think was how uncomfortable it would have been flying the Commander....

It was good to see all you folks. I got to fly a beautiful Cessna 140 based at AMW that belongs to Tony's friend Matt (the other Matt) as well as a ride along in Chip's A36 with James Dean flying (nice landing James. I suspect you'll probably be checking TAP listings tonight). After the day was nearly over, Kent, Jesse, Chris, Tony, and I flew up to Tony's hometown (Estherville, IA) and had some great pizza at Tony's father's restaurant. Along the way Jesse had a little trouble with his GPS so Kent and Chris had to lead him into KEST. BTW Tony, you left your hat in my plane, I see about returning it unless it fits me.

How about for our next get-together, we go through the museum at Anoka. My friend and hangar partner is one of their directors and can probably get us in most anytime on the weekend if he's around.

lancefisher said:
BTW Tony, you left your hat in my plane, I see about returning it unless it fits me.

yea i realized that. i dont care if you have the hat but i gotta get the pins that are in it back. i will hold your flashlight ransom. you going to be at fairbault next weekend for end of the year glider party on saturday night?

kent jesse, i and chris made it back to ames fine. 35-50 kt tailwinds helped a lot on the trip back. had a great time, cant wait to see all the videos and pictures from everyone!

and btw lance, it was great to get some stick time in the baron. even made a passable landing! Had a great time with EVERYONE who came out for lunch and/or supper and party. The whole thing turned out to be way better than I expected or ever planned for.

Kent, Jason (FlyNE) and Chip all got glider rides. All flew like they were seasoned pros (ask Matt). Kent, Jesse, and Chip also got to experience aero towing from the towpilots end. Fun was had by all.

smigaldi said:
But the tailwind home was sweat. 3 hours to Ames and 2 hours home. Broke a land speed record for my Cherokee too as seen in the attached pic of the GPS.

It was great getting to see everyone, good food, good brats, good company. We gotta keep doing this! Thanks Tony et al for hosting.
Meh. I once got 165 knots ground speed.

From that pic I can tell that it's smooooooth, too. ;)

AdamZ said:
You drive 50+ Miles to the Airport? That is dedication Mike:hairraise: :hairraise:
I have to sneak far away. Mayor Daley doesn't want our kind in town.

The first thing I did when I got home was to look at real estate out there.

Anybody know what kind of town Lindenhurst is? From there I could move the plane to Waukegan if they turn mine into another piece of Lake County Forest Preserve.

I figure if I got to Lake County I can avoid Daley and the Cook County crooks. Wisconsin gets me free of Springfield crooks, too. I guess there are crooks everywhere, though.

Oh well, could not make the trip, extended annual (A&P flu) and hellatious weather in Ohio.

See you all at the next one.

Gary Gembala
N398SA

tonycondon said:
yea i realized that. i dont care if you have the hat but i gotta get the pins that are in it back.

Too late, I already have the SSA pins listed on Ebay.

gprellwitz said:
Yeah, but can you say TAILWIND?
FlightAware shows a top ground speed coming back of 186KT.
I admit, I saw 170 on the GPS, but I sure don't remember 186!

Thanks again to Barry for letting me deadhead out and back. Kent, sorry we missed you.

Yeah, that must have been one of our "unscheduled" descents!

Great meeting you Grant. Anytime!

Thanks to all the organizers. It was great meeting old friends again (Greg, Lance) as well as new ones (Scott, Tony, Jesse, Chris, et al).

Sounds like you guys all had a GREAT time! Now, where are the pictures?????

Sorry I couldn't make it. With those headwinds, it would have taken all day in the Citabria just to get up there.

I moped around cause I couldn't come to the fly-in (hmmmmmm, Chip flew right by the farm on the way up....somebody please give him some grief about not offering me a ride up to Iowa. :D), and then decided to have some fun. Sooooo, I invited my family doctor to go flying with me. He's a very cool guy. I took him for his first acro ride yesterday, and am making him a little movie with the video that Tom took of us. It was a good day after all. :)

Great day all-around at AMW yesterday.

It was great to finally put faces to the names -- it's funny watching people introduce themselves to each other, everybody's face kind of lights up as to say "Wow, you really exist as a real person!" haha..

It was great to get to sit around and hangar fly with everyone while grubbing on burnt brats - I will be better practiced up for next year I PROMISE!

Great flight up to Estherville and back with Kent last night -- I'll sit right seat for ya' anytime! :D Can't wait to see how pics & vids turned out. Maybe this thing will grow into the "Gastons-North". ;)

-Chris

CJones said:
Great day all-around at AMW yesterday.

It was great to finally put faces to the names -- it's funny watching people introduce themselves to each other, everybody's face kind of lights up as to say "Wow, you really exist as a real person!" haha..

It was great to get to sit around and hangar fly with everyone while grubbing on burnt brats - I will be better practiced up for next year I PROMISE!

Great flight up to Estherville and back with Kent last night -- I'll sit right seat for ya' anytime! :D Can't wait to see how pics & vids turned out. Maybe this thing will grow into the "Gastons-North". ;)

-Chris
I'm up for Gaston's North.:yes: Between it and Gaston's South, we'll have a very reasonable average temperature! :goofy:

One of the things I like about this board is that so many of us have actually met off-line, despite the vast distances that separate many of us.

Scott, I don't know how you had only occasional turbulence coming back. We were pretty much constant moderate chop after we got to the border. There was a Caravan behind us who went up to 8 because of the chop at 5.

Wow, what a blast. As has already been said, it was so nice to finally put some faces to the names.

OK, ok, I'll post some pictures. Not sure why I have so many pictures of planes, and not enough of the people. :dunno:

1) My view on the way up. I had a hell of a tailwind. Ground speeds in the 140 kt range all the way there. Smooth sailing the entire way.

2) My welcoming party (Jesse) as I was taxiing to the ramp. I came in just behind Lance and he was kind enough to relay "13J be advised that you're on video" just as I was turning final.

3) Scott Migaldi taxiing out to leave. Scott, it was a pleasure to meet you. Next time I hope to have more time to talk.

4) Barry and Grant taking off. Guys, once again, it was nice to finally get the chance to meet you. Ditto the next time stuff.

5) Jesse in the back of James' Saratoga. James was nice enough to take us for a ride and I got right seat thanks to my unequaled Rock, Paper, Scissors skills. (Sorry, Jesse).

6) Tony getting ready to tow the glider.

7) Kent trying the Blanik on for size. (Left to right - Chris, Jesse, Kent, Matt, Lance).

8) It fits like a glove (literally).

9) Chip's turn in the glider.

10) Another of Chip and Matt as the rope was coming tight. Lance is supervising. If you look very closely you can probably make out Lance's sweet wheels parked next to Tony's car.

11) Here's Tony and Kent towing Chip and Matt as they passed back over the field.

12) My view on the way home (ground speeds weren't quite as good). :(

I had a fantastic time. I'm so glad that it all worked out.

Tony and Matt, thanks for making the glider rides possible. Matt, you were a fantastic instructor. You even helped to make my landing passable. Even if I did make Tony work his butt off to get us up there (sorry Tony). :)

I can't wait to get together with all of you again sometime soon.

Attachments

• CIMG0599.JPG
    CIMG0599.JPG
    484.2 KB · Views: 16
  • CIMG0605.JPG
    CIMG0605.JPG
    469.6 KB · Views: 20
  • CIMG0606.JPG
    CIMG0606.JPG
    501.1 KB · Views: 20
  • CIMG0607.JPG
    CIMG0607.JPG
    445.8 KB · Views: 20
  • CIMG0615.JPG
    CIMG0615.JPG
    546.3 KB · Views: 28
  • CIMG0618.JPG
    CIMG0618.JPG
    595.1 KB · Views: 23
  • CIMG0622.JPG
    CIMG0622.JPG
    582.1 KB · Views: 32
  • CIMG0625.JPG
    CIMG0625.JPG
    628.4 KB · Views: 158
  • CIMG0630.JPG
    CIMG0630.JPG
    629.9 KB · Views: 30
  • CIMG0632.JPG
    CIMG0632.JPG
    575.1 KB · Views: 24
  • CIMG0634.JPG
    CIMG0634.JPG
    430.3 KB · Views: 24
  • CIMG0640.JPG
    CIMG0640.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 22
FlyNE said:
Tony and Matt, thanks for making the glider rides possible. Matt, you were a fantastic instructor. You even helped to make my landing passable. Even if I did make Tony work his butt off to get us up there (sorry Tony). :)

We were glad to expose some of you guys to real flying :) Matt is a great instructor, he taught me! And the tow wasnt that bad, i never even had to go to a full control deflection! :rofl:

Jason, you've got some great pictures there! I love the sunset! It was great meeting you.

Thanks everyone - I had a great time seeing old friends and meeting new ones. It's always fun to fly with folks who take it seriously and are good at it. James flew the A36 like he was born in it, Tony flew the Super Cub tow plane perfectly and really ****ed me off with his landing, and Matt kept me from killing us both in the glider while making sure I had a great time. Sorry I missed the pizza.

Chip

gibbons said:
Thanks everyone - I had a great time seeing old friends and meeting new ones. It's always fun to fly with folks who take it seriously and are good at it. James flew the A36 like he was born in it, Tony flew the Super Cub tow plane perfectly and really ****ed me off with his landing, and Matt kept me from killing us both in the glider while making sure I had a great time. Sorry I missed the pizza.

Chip

Chip,
I really shouldve let you land, sorry about that. From what I hear, Matts method of not getting killed in the glider was to let you fly the entire flight. Great tow by the way! I was turning fairly tight with you just to see if you could hold position. you never left the spot in my mirror! Good work! Next time you come up we will have pizza. It was great seeing and flying with you again.

Chip, how dare you!

What were you thinking? For shame, you didn't stop to get Diana.

(How's that, Diana?)

gprellwitz said:
ional turbulence coming back. We were pretty much constant moderate chop after we got to the border. There was a Caravan behind us who went up to 8 because of the chop at 5.

I was up at 7500 myself where the ride was smother. 5500 MSL where I started get pretty rough and constant.

smigaldi said:
I was up at 7500 myself where the ride was smother. 5500 MSL where I started get pretty rough and constant.
We started at 7000', but hit a cloud almost immediately at -4*. We opted to descend to 5'000. Sounds like we should have requested back to 7,000' after we got past that one. Ah well! We only hit our heads once! :goofy:

gprellwitz said:
We started at 7000', but hit a cloud almost immediately at -4*. We opted to descend to 5'000. Sounds like we should have requested back to 7,000' after we got past that one. Ah well! We only hit our heads once! :goofy:

I heard you guys up there in the precip starting with the temps less than zero. I had snow and virga where I was at behind you and to the north. I was waiting for the controller to get you lower where it was nicer. I stayed at 5500 MSL until I landed at Vinton for fuel. Then when I left there I climbed up to 7500 MSL, it was SKC by then so I could do it VFR. I just did not want to bother with an IFR flight on Saturday, I had too much fun looking out the window :goofy::D

Re: Chip, how dare you!

Richard said:
What were you thinking? For shame, you didn't stop to get Diana.

(How's that, Diana?)
That was VERY good Richard! :D

(The check is in the mail!) :cheerswine:

Chip, I really think that you should have picked up Diana and brought her along. Her absense was sorely noted. As I commented, we had too much testosterone and not enough estrogen there (Chris' wife notwithstanding). I'm sure that as appeasement you'll volunteer to take over from her as coordinator of at least one of the meals at Gaston's South.

(Diana, do I get a check too?) :)

gprellwitz said:
Chip, I really think that you should have picked up Diana and brought her along. Her absence was sorely noted. As I commented, we had too much testosterone and not enough estrogen there (Chris' wife notwithstanding). I'm sure that as appeasement you'll volunteer to take over from her as coordinator of at least one of the meals at Gaston's South.
You guys are doing this SO much better than I could have! :yes: :rofl:

gprellwitz said:
(Diana, do I get a check too?) :)
Absolutely! Plus an acro ride at Gaston's! Wow, you guys could hire yourselves out, you're so good!

Back