Midwest Fly-In: KAMW

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Where: KAMW - Ames, IA
When: October 28th
What: Lunch...BBQ....Fly airplanes..You know the usual.

Tony Condon has arranged for us to use a heated hangar at the FBO there. Which will provide a nice spot to watch everyone land / crash / etc. I will probably stay in Ames overnight and head back on Sunday. We haven't established an exact time yet for the fly-in but I will get those details shortly.

I expect to see everyone from the following mid western states attend. I will probably harrass you over pm:
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
Missouri
Illinois
Wisconsin
Michigan
Mississippi

jangell said:
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
Missouri
Illinois
Wisconsin
Michigan
Mississippi

This seems like one of those "which of these does not belong" games.

Ill plan on attending. Maybe I can fly chris's RV to Boone so he can fly back to Ames, so we can say we flew in! :):):)

Unfortunantly, I am unable that weekend, will be in CID. I may be able to stop in for a bit though.

Weather permitting, I can be there in the morning.
ApacheBob

Linda, I think Jesse added Mississippi to try to shame Steve into coming. You are definitely invited!

Unfortunately, I'm saving up for my trip to Palm Springs right now, so I doubt I'll be able to swing this one. :(

If the WX is good and I can keep the clients away I will try to be there.

Jon

dogman said:
If the WX is good and I can keep the clients away I will try to be there.

Jon

Just don't return their calls. :D

Dean, I suppose that is a good excuse :)
Will you be able to make it Jason?

Weather permitting I'll try and make it.

Grant, if you can get to DPA that morning I'll give you a ride.

tonycondon said:
Dean, I suppose that is a good excuse :)
Will you be able to make it Jason?
I'm pretty sure that I will. I'll let you know once I've put all the pieces together.

awesome barry and jason, hope that grant can make it! I confirmed the hangar today and we are set.

bstratt said:
Weather permitting I'll try and make it.

Grant, if you can get to DPA that morning I'll give you a ride.
I may take you up on that! Would Leslie be welcome too, or would W&B issues preclude that?

gprellwitz said:
I may take you up on that! Would Leslie be welcome too, or would W&B issues preclude that?

Isn't that kind of a loaded question? Right up there with, "Honey, do these jeans make me look fat?".

FlyNE said:
Isn't that kind of a loaded question? Right up there with, "Honey, do these jeans make me look fat?".
Not with a pilot wife!:no: Besides, it's my weight that might be an issue!:rofl:

I'll try to make it, should be OK if I'm in town.

Do we have a time that we're going to try to get there? Looks like about 1:40 in the 182, plus wind.

Is there anything going on besides lunch? Who's staying, and for how long?

Kent,

no specific time. I would say 10 am or so. come earlier if you like, i will be around all day. as far as other stuff going on, what do you want to do? ill look and see what all is happening that day around town.

jesse is planning on overnighting, staying with me i presume. We will be going to matt michaels halloween party that evening, i dont want to invite you all to his party without asking him first, but i doubt it will be an issue. maybe he will pipe in ;). matt will likely be spending the day cleaning up his house for said party and isnt sure he will be able to make it out to the airport.

Last edited:
gprellwitz said:

Without getting into specifics, I would have about 430 pounds of Usefull load available for the two of you.

It would only be lunch for me. Probably leaving between 8:00 and 9:00. Would have to be back by 3:00/3:30pm.

I just checked out AirNav for KAMW and saw that 100LL is over 4 bucks a gallon. :hairraise: Has it gone down any or is it still that high? Also the FBO has some pretty bad comments left by other pilots, have things changed?

Oh man- I can't make it that day. I'll look forward to the next one!

Dean said:
I just checked out AirNav for KAMW and saw that 100LL is over 4 bucks a gallon. :hairraise: Has it gone down any or is it still that high? Also the FBO has some pretty bad comments left by other pilots, have things changed?

Dean, that is the "other" FBO. My FBO does not sell fuel, just provides charter, maintenance, and flight training. I would recommend to all pilots flying to not buy gas at Ames unless you have to, due to high prices. It is much cheaper at almost any other nearby airports. I know Hampton is in the mid to high 3 dollar range and I have heard webster city is in the low to mid 3 dollar range. AFAIK, the main FBO at ames is still well over 4 dollars.

Sigh. Can't come. My Daughter's going to be post op day #1 from a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament repair....

Bruce -

The Seneca is a perfect hypobaric chamber!!

bummer bruce, was hoping you could make it. next time.

tonycondon said:
no specific time. I would say 10 am or so.

Ack!!! I would say Noon or so. :D

So what are people going to dress up as? (Besides GA pilots :p)

as far as other stuff going on, what do you want to do? ill look and see what all is happening that day around town.

Ah, pretty much just deciding whether to stay overnight or not. I kinda like the idea of going to your dad's place for pizza that evening. :yes:

jesse is planning on overnighting, staying with me i presume. We will be going to matt michaels halloween party that evening, i dont want to invite you all to his party without asking him first, but i doubt it will be an issue.

That? That's not a Halloween party...

20790.jpg

THAT's a Halloween party. :D

I've got the 182 reserved from 9 AM Saturday to 6 PM Sunday, so if there's continuing festivities I'm all set. :)

cool kent. as far as going to my dads saturday night, itll depend on what time matts party starts. I plan on attending, but if we got out of ames early enough that we could be back, id go along, it would be a blast.

My plan is to stay the night in Ames. It'd be great if some/all of you were willing to do this. We'll have to touch bases with Matt and see if he minds POA folk crashing his party.

I'm sure we can come up with something to do throughout the day.. Maybe do a formation flight somewhere (for those that are comfortable. I have flown formation with a few members from POA).

We'll have to look into the times a bit. It would be kind of cool to meet up in Ames for an early lunch. Hangout there for awhile..Then to Estherville for dinner. (We could fly with eachother. Maybe take two or three planes and keep costs down). I could take on about two people maybe three depending on W&B. If Kent is willing he could take on three in the 182... Back to Ames for the Halloween party and that should finish off the night.

Right now I need to figure out how many people are coming. If you are coming please post. If you are interested in making this an all day event please say so. We can adjust/completey change the above plan to suit everyones needs.

Last edited:
jangell said:
We'll have to look into the times a bit. It would be kind of cool to meet up in Ames for an early lunch. Hangout there for awhile..Then to Estherville for dinner. (We could fly with eachother. Maybe take two or three planes and keep costs down). I could take on about two people maybe three depending on W&B. If Kent is willing he could take on three in the 182...

I'm in.

I do have a max landing weight on the 182, it's an old bird. I should burn 20 gallons going to AMW and about 10 more going to EST. So, I can take about 400 pounds of people if I actually leave MSN with full fuel.

Or, we'll have to do some other activities to burn off some more fuel. :yes: :D

I'm in as of right now. Not sure I can get the plan overnight. Where/how can I contribute some money to buy the meat and chips for lunch?

I'm in, but Leslie isn't. I'll be riding with someone (Barry?) and will go with whatever plans they have as to times, overnights, etc. I don't have a costume, but could bring one of the aviation-themed Monopoly games with.

Excellent idea Kent/Jesse. Ill let Dad know that I will be dragging up some pilot friends for pizza early in the evening.

Jason - I think we will pretty much just put a pot out for people to throw money in, give as you please.

Need a little help.

I was looking at the calendar, I need to have my plane to Spencer by the end of the month for my annual. Would anyone be willing to fly me from Spencer to LeMars after we are done in Esterville?

James Dean

James_Dean said:
I was looking at the calendar, I need to have my plane to Spencer by the end of the month for my annual. Would anyone be willing to fly me from Spencer to LeMars after we are done in Esterville?

James,

Where are ya exactly? AirNav shows 98 nm northeast from Ames to Estherville, 25nm southwest from Estherville to Spencer, 49nm southwest from Spencer to Le Mars (leaving us, theoretically, at about 24nm northeast of Ames) but then it says 123nm ESE from Le Mars to Ames. :dunno: Something does not compute.

Anyway, if nobody's heading that way afterwards, I can help ya out. As long as someone can still give me a ride to the party... :goofy:

NW to EST not NE - and out of my way.

Back