Midwest Fly-In: KAMW

I'm a strong maybe and IFRable. The only thing that would hold me back with the current forecast is the "strong winds" predicted Sunday.

Its not the IMC - its that IMC usually = moisture which this time of year often = icing! I'm not known icing. So if its cold and IFR I probably won't chance it but it will be a "day of" call.

bstratt said:
Its not the IMC - its that IMC usually = moisture which this time of year often = icing! I'm not known icing. So if its cold and IFR I probably won't chance it but it will be a "day of" call.
I support you on that! The only ice I want is in my :drink: And no, I won't drive to Ames as a backup!:no::rofl:

I was going to IM you my phone number so we could coordinate things next weekend, but since it's posted on my website I might as well post it here: eight one fife tree fife fife zero zero niner six. Anyone who can't understand that is not welcome to call!:rofl::rofl:

of course understand the ice concerns, just wanted a feel for how many we would get even if weather wasnt decent VFR

I'm in if it's VFR or flyable IFR (ie no ice forecast at or near my planned altitudes). I can also make the 11th if that's what we decide.

Well, here's the deal. My CFI ride (which will ONLY consist of short field take off, 8's on pylons, and a landing) is Thursday. My dad's plane will also be delivered next week. If the Wx is good, there is no way I am going to be allowed to go with as long as he's been looking for a plane, and waiting on it.

tonycondon said:
OK people this is what i have for a list so far, let me know if ive got something wrong.

YES:
Me
Kent
Jesse
Grant
FlyNE (Jason)
James Dean
Barry Stratt
Gary Gembala
Mike Andrews

MAYBE:
bkreager
ApacheBob
Scott Migaldi
Dogman
Tomahawk674
Lance Fisher?
Rudy?
Ed Fred?

fingers are crossed for good weather.
question is: if it is IFRable, how many people will still come? Otherwise do we want to forget about it all together or have a rain date on november 11?

Anyone else going to make it? going to be a good party!

I'm looking pretty likely although I may have trouble coming up with a costume.

I'm VFR only...and there isn't anybody coming from my direction that I could hitch with if it's IR.

Ed -Ok next time though!
Lance - Excellent!
Jason - Understandable. Latest forecast on the news tonight took rain out of saturday so fingers are still crossed

I am IFR and the mighty Apache has a fresh pitot-static check.
ApacheBob

N2212R said:
Well, here's the deal. My CFI ride (which will ONLY consist of short field take off, 8's on pylons, and a landing) is Thursday. My dad's plane will also be delivered next week. If the Wx is good, there is no way I am going to be allowed to go with as long as he's been looking for a plane, and waiting on it.

Bring him along! Sounds like an excellent opportunity for a dual cross country! :yes: :D Besides, he knows me and Jesse at least, maybe others.

lancefisher said:
I'm looking pretty likely although I may have trouble coming up with a costume.

You and me both. Suggestions are quite welcome!!! What's everyone else going as?

tonycondon said:
Im thinking glider pilot

Gee.. I was gonna go as an escapee from the looney bin, but I guess you already beat me to it. :D :D :D :rofl:

-Chris

har har har. i would recommend saving the glider insults until after your CFII has signed you off for the IR! :)

tonycondon said:
har har har. i would recommend saving the glider insults until after your CFII has signed you off for the IR! :)

DOH!! You're right.. What I meant to say was -- I was hoping to go as a super cool aviator with great skills only dreamed about by powered pilots, but you already beat me to it! :D

Looks like I might not have the RV for this weekend. :( Dad is saying that he and mom are thinking about going somewhere this weekend, and I can't really justify saying "well, we're talking about having a flyin up here this weekend" since I've already kept the darn plane for over a month now! We'll just have to see how the weather works out this week if I get a chance to transport it to Muscatine. :(

-Chris

CJones said:
DOH!! You're right.. What I meant to say was -- I was hoping to go as a super cool aviator with great skills only dreamed about by powered pilots, but you already beat me to it! :D

Looks like I might not have the RV for this weekend. :( Dad is saying that he and mom are thinking about going somewhere this weekend, and I can't really justify saying "well, we're talking about having a flyin up here this weekend" since I've already kept the darn plane for over a month now! We'll just have to see how the weather works out this week if I get a chance to transport it to Muscatine. :(

-Chris

No worries. There will be room with someone if the weather cooperates and we goto Estherville.

gprellwitz said:
I support you on that! The only ice I want is in my :drink: And no, I won't drive to Ames as a backup!:no::rofl:

I was going to IM you my phone number so we could coordinate things next weekend, but since it's posted on my website I might as well post it here: eight one fife tree fife fife zero zero niner six. Anyone who can't understand that is not welcome to call!:rofl::rofl:

OK Grant - I'll give you a call later in the week when the weather firms up - maybe Thursday night.

I'm off to Indy EARLY tomorrow morning.

flyingcheesehead said:
Besides, he knows me and Jesse at least, maybe others.
I've met Fred's dad as well, on a flight from California to Minneapolis no less. He seems like a much nicer guy than Ed too! (jk Ed). Definitely bring him along.

lancefisher said:
I've met Fred's dad as well, on a flight from California to Minneapolis no less. He seems like a much nicer guy than Ed too! (jk Ed). Definitely bring him along.
I've met him too, and he is nice. Bring your mom, too! She's even nicer!:yes::rofl:

Weather.com is calling for a 30% chance of a few snow showers, whatever that is supposed to mean.
wunderground and the NWS both just say partly cloudy, high in high 40's. hopefully everything pans out :fcross:

AOPA is looking promising...

Last edited:
I think.. this is going to work out :)

promising for you at least jason! :) we'll have to see for the wisconsin, illinois and ohio guys.

I think Jesse and Tony are just trying to out post the Gaston's thread....

Steve said:
I think Jesse and Tony are just trying to out post the Gaston's thread....

This..will make Gastons look like Troy Martin's flight school.

Steve...You can't miss this.

Talk about throwing down the gauntlet! B)

Ok, on the 0.5% chance the commie plane needed a parking spot, what time and where on the ramp would it be most likely to get invited to the festivities? And can you get thru security at 6am on a Sunday?

jangell said:
This..will make Gastons look like Troy Martin's flight school.

Steve...You can't miss this.

steve, any time after 10 am or so on Saturday in front of Hap's Air Service in Ames, Iowa. We should be able to get you a hangar. I have keys to the FBO so you can leave whatever time you like. we will be most accomodating!

Steve said:
Talk about throwing down the gauntlet! B)

Ok, on the 0.5% chance the commie plane needed a parking spot, what time and where on the ramp would it be most likely to get invited to the festivities? And can you get thru security at 6am on a Sunday?
KAMW - Hap's Air Service....I'll be there Saturday morning. Most people are showing up around 10am.. I'll be there until sometime on Sunday.

There is no security there. Get in your plane and fly away..

If you can get the commie plane there.. I'll find it a hangar :)

FYI. Might be a good idea to keep up to date on this one.

James Dean

-------------------------------------------------------------------
AOPA ePilot Special Airspace Bulletin October 24, 2006

A special notice to pilots in the central Iowa area

==> ATTENTION PILOTS <==

FAA TO ESTABLISH TFR OVER DES MOINES ON THURSDAY AOPA is sending this message to advise pilots in and near Des Moines, Iowa, that the FAA is expected to issue a notam restricting flight in the area during President Bush's planned visit on Thursday, October 26.

Based on information from the FAA, the president is scheduled to be in the Des Moines area sometime on Thursday. AOPA anticipates that the notam will establish a large temporary flight restriction (TFR) limiting general aviation flight. Typically, these presidential travel-related TFRs are 60 nautical miles in diameter (30-nm radius) and contain one or more smaller general aviation no-fly zones. AOPA will post the notam on AOPA Online ( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html ) as soon as possible after it is issued. A graphical depiction will also be available.

Because TFR airspace frequently changes, AOPA strongly encourages pilots to obtain a briefing and CHECK NOTAMS before every flight.
TFR violators will be intercepted and forced to land.

James_Dean said:
FYI. Might be a good idea to keep up to date on this one.

James Dean

AOPA ePilot Special Airspace Bulletin October 24, 2006

A special notice to pilots in the central Iowa area

==> ATTENTION PILOTS <==

FAA TO ESTABLISH TFR OVER DES MOINES ON THURSDAY AOPA is sending this message to advise pilots in and near Des Moines, Iowa, that the FAA is expected to issue a notam restricting flight in the area during President Bush's planned visit on Thursday, October 26.

He should be gone by Saturday. He is far too busy campaigning to stay in one spot for several days. But a good idea to keep a watch out.

effin great, ames is 27.5 nm from des moines airport. its supposed to rain anyway.

Chicago area pilots going to Ames.

I was planing the flight. I can file /G but I usually throw in a fix or two to break things up. Also if I need a clearence from ATC I kinda know where they are going to want me to fly.

Anyways....

this was my plan as an FYI.

KRENA direct DBQ direct KAMW

Should we also listen in on 122.75 for air to air comms??

No one in their right mind would stay in Des Moines, IA from Thursday to Saturday. I'm sure we'll be fine.

I'll be on 122.75.

Back