Medical Wait Time!

Logan54

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Logan
Hey all,

Hope this finds all of you folks well. Anyhow, I’m sort of curious about the backlog of the FAA. Frankly I’ve heard it all (10 weeks - 200 days) as far as the ranges go for review. But foremost I should provide some detail, I’m following SSRI pathway 1 due to some situational anxiety (3 lost family members and a work accident involving my father). My HIMS AME says I’ll likely get my unrestricted medical, as my general practitioner did a great job with documentation! In essence I’m wondering if anyone knows how long until I hear back, my medical has been in review for over two months now. I just feel as though this situation is tricky due to the highly subjective nature of medical cases.

Thank you all!

Logan as of December, the work queue stood at 210 days for GA pilots with such matters. But It's a good bet it's longer yet currently.

Most of the things I’ve heard have trended toward 2-4 months for a response from the FAA. That’s what I’m hoping for.

Logan, good to hear that things are looking promising regarding your case! I am currently following the exact same pathway and submitted my packet on December 7th, 2023, which was submitted electronically to avoid any mailing delays. I called the surgeon's office about something unrelated to the delays but missed their call, and in their call back they said because of their backlog it would be about August until the review rolled over the desk, and small period of time to review. This call was in late January, so just a short time after December.

@bbchien I've got a great AME now, but wish I had seen your services earlier, I found you about two months ago!

Logan, good to hear that things are looking promising regarding your case! I am currently following the exact same pathway and submitted my packet on December 7th, 2023, which was submitted electronically to avoid any mailing delays. I called the surgeon's office about something unrelated to the delays but missed their call, and in their call back they said because of their backlog it would be about August until the review rolled over the desk, and small period of time to review. This call was in late January, so just a short time after December.

@bbchien I've got a great AME now, but wish I had seen your services earlier, I found you about two months ago!
I’m actually in final review and it shouldn’t be long passed the analyst review. Also, they never mention the backlog… ever and I really think everyone is just far from the same page so info (such as hearing back in August) may be a bit drastic. I’m sure you’ll hear back sooner than that.

Definitely hoping to, regarding this whole process I live with a prepare for the worst hope for the best mindset. You'll have to let us know what they say!

7 months for my SI for sleep apnea.

Since any physician can approve Basic Med for a patient with sleep apnea (assuming the pilot had a medical once upon a time), why on earth shouldn’t sleep apnea be on the CACI list? Why must it be deferred to OKC?

This stuff has more to do with power-tripping bureaucrats clinging to power than it does with aviation safety.

Since any physician can approve Basic Med for a patient with sleep apnea (assuming the pilot had a medical once upon a time), why on earth shouldn’t sleep apnea be on the CACI list? Why must it be deferred to OKC?

This stuff has more to do with power-tripping bureaucrats clinging to power than it does with aviation safety.
Yup. exactly.

Also, is there any theory other than power tripping bureaucrats to explain why, even with 80,000 basic med pilots and increasing budgets, that backlogs are increasing? Doing less with more.

Also, is there any theory other than power tripping bureaucrats to explain why, even with 80,000 basic med pilots and increasing budgets, that backlogs are increasing?

Well, strictly as a theory, you understand, it's a common tactic when a bureacracy is trying to argue that it needs more, more, more, MORE money. Create busy work, ask for unneeded documents, slow-roll everything, then try to expand the empire.

Anyone who has spent time in a large organization has probably seen it play out.

Well, strictly as a theory, you understand, it's a common tactic when a bureacracy is trying to argue that it needs more, more, more, MORE money. Create busy work, ask for unneeded documents, slow-roll everything, then try to expand the empire.

Anyone who has spent time in a large organization has probably seen it play out.

Yup again. Parkinson's Law.

He's got three months left. Time to get on the treadmill again.
If he does, he INSANE. He needs a BASIC.

Three months. Yeah, that figures.

Yep, Basic Med is the way, and if he doesn’t take it he should be required to get a psych eval to renew his third.

It really is time to drop the one-time medical requirement for Basic. It’s pointless and unnecessarily burdensome.

is Bruce pretty smart or what? He’s making so much money off the advertising he’s getting on this forum. Hype it up or help us out? Not sure but lately I’m getting confused.

is Bruce pretty smart or what? He’s making so much money off the advertising he’s getting on this forum. Hype it up or help us out? Not sure but lately I’m getting confused.

If you think Bruce is making money then you’ve never met him. He’d make more if he just set out a “Tips” jar.

Unfortunately, that would literally take an act of Congress. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Jon
Hammer your representatives with this demand, especially when the reauth bill comes around. Doing nothing about it will guarantee nothing is done about it.

I’m actually in final review and it shouldn’t be long passed the analyst review. Also, they never mention the backlog… ever and I really think everyone is just far from the same page so info (such as hearing back in August) may be a bit drastic. I’m sure you’ll hear back sooner than that.
You made it to Final Review in just 2 months? That's pretty fast, all considered.

I'm going on 5 months "In Review" for what should have been an AME-issued ADHD Fast Track case.

Back