Marshaling Signals

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
I be flying into a new airport in a couple of weeks (KPVU). I called up the FBO and they have line workers marshall airplanes into position. I've never done this before so I am a little unclear how this will work. After I exit the runway, I'll contact ground and tell them I want to taxi to the FBO.

How does the FBO know I am coming?

Am I supposed to contact them on a different frequency?

How do the line workers know I am coming? Do they just see an airplane taxing in and start marshaling me in?

The FBO has radios, too. Usually, they will hear Ground and will be ready for you. If you need any services aside from parking, you should call ahead and reserve them, with your tail number and an expected time. Even if all you need is parking, if there is any chance it might be tight.

When in doubt, call them and ask.

Many (if not all) monitor ground so when you say you're holding short of XX at Y, going to FBO Yourfavoritenamehere they know you're coming and will meet you at the entrance to their ramp with some flagging. If it's dead quiet you can pull right up and park yourself. (had that two weeks ago at Spirit in St Louis)

You can talk to the fbo (freq in the AF/d) usually. It isn't necessary. The line guys will see you and assume ya wanna park instead of driving around the ramp.

They will see you taxi onto the ramp. Usually meeting you with a golf cart that's says "follow me" . Follow them. Or taxi towards the worker standing there with there arms up. Usually you'll park facing the same direction as the other aircraft. Dont worry about it. I've had big airplanes park in the wrong spot while I was trying to marshal them in. They'll just move you anyway.

-tony.

I be flying into a new airport in a couple of weeks (KPVU). I called up the FBO and they have line workers marshall airplanes into position. I've never done this before so I am a little unclear how this will work. After I exit the runway, I'll contact ground and tell them I want to taxi to the FBO.

How do the line workers know I am coming? Do they just see an airplane taxing in and start marshaling me in?
Just taxi in, and look for the guy with wands. They may meet you in a golf cart or it may just be somebody standing at the parking spot pointing. It is usually pretty obvious. I'm not sure how they know that you're coming maybe the FBO monitors ground frequency, not sure. I usually call ahead (by phone)and just give a rough estimate of when I'll be there.

I just taxi in and aim for a parking spot. Sometimes a line guy will sprint out to meet me because he wants to put me somewhere else, sometimes someone is already waiting, sometimes they leave me alone. I've never been met with a Follow Me cart.

Thanks everyone for your answers. Maybe I am just making this more difficult than it needs to be.

Everything as mentioned above. From past experiences, I've never had to specifically call the FBO on their unicom. Line men are typically already outside and will be waiting to marshall you in.

Only once have I arrived somewhere and it was not clear where to park and no one was in sight at the FBO...

"Ground, this is Skylane 12345...do you have the Jet Center Unicom frequency available?"...and called them up

If you called ahead and provide your tail # and ETA they will usually keep and eye and ear out for ya.

It gets more interesting when there are competing FBOs, each with their own Follow Me cart.
Had that happen going into San Angelo... Forgot the name of the FBO I was supposed to go to and one of the "fishing" Follow Me carts tried to lure me in.

Thanks everyone for your answers. Maybe I am just making this more difficult than it needs to be.
If you use ForeFlight, the FBO phone numbers and frequencies are contained on the airport page, FBO tab.

when ground asks for parking I name the FBO and ask for progressive taxi if needed my experience has been the FBO monitors ground and a lineman has always been waiting for me at the ramp, usually with wands.

Last edited:
do you know where the FBO is located on the field? I just looked up the diagram for KPVU and while there is usually some indication as to which building is the FBO, this diagram doesn't show anything. it does, however show specific run-up areas, which out here in the sticks you don't usually see so that would also be a good thing to know prior to arrival. well, I guess prior to departure but u know what I'm saying. anyways, actually knowing where the building is located might help you spot the line guys. linepeople.

As Eman so eloquently tried to say... Marking up the airport diagram with where you're parking should be part of your pre-flight planning.

As Eman so eloquently tried to say... Marking up the airport diagram with where you're parking should be part of your pre-flight planning.
my experience has been that airport diagrams are available only for controlled airfields (I prefer using AirNav). is there a source for diagrams for uncontrolled fields with FBOs?

my experience has been that airport diagrams are available only for controlled airfields (I prefer using AirNav). is there a source for diagrams for uncontrolled fields with FBOs?

ForeFlight on iPad has enhanced many of their airfield diagrams... just make sure you're using the setting that uses their diagram versus the government ones.

I guess I never thought of that. no I don't think there's a different source. for me, I'm almost always checking the airport diagram and most definitely google earthing where I'm going, so I have a pretty good idea where to go. it's 'usually' just not all that hard.

knew about that source but same result. KDKB, KSQI are two examples of uncontrolled airfields but no diagram is available at the above link or on AirNav. maybe it's hit or miss? granted, these smaller airports are usually not that complicated or difficult to maneuver around and there is usually just one FBO but it's nice to have the diagram in any case.

Foreflight, fltplan.com, FlyQ, and probably every other app/website out there have diagrams for everything, not just the "official" airports.

tumblr_nmmqd5Mu451r75i3co1_250.gif

Its not rocket surgery.

Ask the ground controller for progressive if you are not sure where the FBO is.

Seems like every place I go the lineman make up their own marshalling signals. Just pull into the parking spot they are facing, or follow the golf cart. Turn off landing lights before blinding them, then stop when they make some kind of signal that may mean stop. Shut down the engine(s).

Don't run for the bathrooms unless it is really, really necessary.

Plenty of uncontrolled fields have published diagrams. Plenty don't, though. For the ones without, check out the state DOT site. Texas, for example, has diagrams of most every public use airport in the state otherwise documented: http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/division/aviation/airport-directory-list.html

They're broken down to standard aspect ratio for 1pp or book style. I kinda like them better than FAA charts in some cases. Here's the one for my home airport: https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/avn/airport_directory/iws.pdf

I find it easiest to visit AOPA Airports, type in the code or city name. You'll find most of the same information as in airnav.com, plus a button at the top that says "kneeboard format." This shows everything on a single page, landscape format, and has a diagram of almost every airport I have flown to (excepting mostly small grass fields).

When printed and folded in half, this is a perfect fit on my kneeboard. Then I can highlight appropriate frequencies & elevations, mark locations and phone numbers, even right down nearby fields' weather and CRAF freqs.

Definitely review some material on marshalling signals before you go. Glad you asked. No shame in that.

As mentioned, the important piece is that when you see a line guy with a red/orange/amber/whatever wand raised above his head, he wants you parked facing him. Sometimes he also extends his other arm horizontally fwd to point to the parking spot. Again, you are supposed to park facing him. So let's say you see him from an angle from behind, taxi around (give him a wide berth) and turn around to park facing him. He will provide more guidance by pointing which way you need to turn. If not, he will just keep waving you in. Until it it time to stop. Then he will put his arms down and slowly raise them in a circular motion to above his head and then cross them. That is the "slowdown" and "stop" sign.

Again, just review some nice material, preferably with images or even animated images. The gestures are pretty self-explanatory and easy once you get used to them.

Most importantly: HAVE FUN on your trip!

I haven't been marshalled to a parking spot since my initial solo. That was a long time ago. I must fly out of smaller airports. :)

Almost no one uses ICAO marshalling signals so just use creative interpretation as to what you should be doing.

I try and teach line guys the right way but they've been indoctrinated into bad habits.

Almost no one uses ICAO marshalling signals so just use creative interpretation as to what you should be doing.

I try and teach line guys the right way but they've been indoctrinated into bad habits.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I only dance when the King Air pilots take 20 minutes between start up and taxi and I'm standing there in the cold waiting to marshall them.

Then all bets are off and my co-workers laugh at me.

Back