Man Parks Plane in Driveway

HOAs, never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

I forget who said that.

Especially so because the vast majority of people who seek positions of (pseudo)-authority on HOA boards are incurable control freaks who derive an almost orgasmic rush from dominating and controlling others.

I actually non-renewed two HOAs on Long Island that otherwise were reasonably-decent accounts, because they also were unbearable control freaks. The extent to which they tried to control and micro-manage every aspect of every service call just got to be too much. Everything a tech did and every part they used was scrutinized. They also insisted that the entire board discuss and approve every invoice, and if they decided not to meet for a few months, we were supposed to wait to get paid.

Screw 'em. I fired both of them when their contracts ran out. They were more trouble than they were worth. One of them revoked our "approved contractor" status in retaliation, but then tried to persuade us to take them back when the competing bids were all at least double what I'd been charging them. But I didn't want them back at any price. They just weren't worth the aggravation.

Rich

It's like so many other aspects of life in the modern age, people with little that could be described as accomplishments in their lives, aching to seem, feel, pretend, or just have something to lie about, as far as self importance, ruin every thing they touch.

It's like so many other aspects of life in the modern age, people with little that could be described as accomplishments in their lives, aching to seem, feel, pretend, or just have something to lie about, as far as self importance, ruin every thing they touch.

More finger spasming? :lol:

Biggest load of nonsense I've read in a while and not particularly poetic if you were trying to be. Friday afternoon happy hour perhaps? There has GOT to be an explanation!

Especially so because the vast majority of people who seek positions of (pseudo)-authority on HOA boards are incurable control freaks who derive an almost orgasmic rush from dominating and controlling others.

And when they get into public office they're called DEMOCRATS!*

*Bad pilot -- twenty lashes and back to the Spin Zone with you...

:lol:

Sure we need electricity, oil refineries, sewage plants. I just choose to not live next to them.

In your case, your antenna is fine. I was just yanking your chain a little. Looking at the pictures there is a lot of space between the houses. If I were your neighbor I wouldn't have a problem either. We're not really comparing apples with apples though. In a neighborhood with houses close together you cannot have someone putting up an antenna like that. You surely realize that? If that antenna were in my neighbor's yard it would dominate my view and for sure would diminish my resale value. But then I live on a postage sized property. :lol: If I were a land baron like you with acres of space around, then of course it wouldn't matter. ;)

Actually there are ways to lessen their impact on sight lines and frankly, most people never even look up anyway. How many time have you spotted an airplane flying over while non-pilot friends have no clue?

In my old neighborhood in town, a neighbor had a very nice crank up. (Well, he had added an electric winch to it for remote "cranking"...) When down, his antenna stack nestled into his back yard up against the house and nobody ever noticed it. He popped it up on contest weekends to 80'. Wasn't cheap.

It was only a generation or so ago that almost every house had a TV antenna on the roof. Just because folks want 500 channels of uselessness via cable or dish, those have waned, and then have made a minor comeback as people realized they don't need to spend over $1200 a year to have propaganda and advertisements piped into their TV sets. During that time, Internet video streaming also took off. But a TV antenna on a house, to me, is a small sign that the owner is probably not much of a group-think kinda person these days. Hard to keep up with all the useless "pundits" without paying for them to be delivered to you.

There's a word for this. Sociopaths.

Biggest load of nonsense I've read in a while and not particularly poetic if you were trying to be. Friday afternoon happy hour perhaps? There has GOT to be an explanation!

It's actually somewhat accurate. The highly successful folk I've known that live in fancy gated communities with overbearing HOAs, aren't the ones on the Board. They're often traveling and away much of the time anyway, or running their businesses and working long hours.

In the neighborhood that was so bad that it got called out for it in the local lefty-newspaper here for outrageous behavior, the instigator was a bored housewife of a Doctor, without children, or somesuch. And that pattern is quite common. Doesn't really matter the gender, she just wanted to feel as important as her never-home, busy, Cardiologist spouse. So she went looking for a way to be that important. Some go into politics, but I suspect she didn't have control of the checkbook and he wasn't going to pay for any campaigning. So she started small where 500 or so people had signed a contract to abide by the HOA rules and if she could just get on the Board, they'd have to listen to her because they had no legal choice. The bylaws were so screwed up from the start that it took six years to eradicate that sociopath. Problems with quorum. Problems with needing a 2/3 majority. Problems even convincing the absentee owners who were renting that there was a problem child running things.

It really only came to a head when she got it so fouled up that they had to hire a management company with lawyers to straighten it out. Then it triggered a big jump in dues and the busy/successful people started taking notice and tossed her ass to the curb.

It's like the same problem in companies. Sure the person may be "nice", but they have no credentials and no skills in leadership nor even basic management skills. Eventually someone notices and tosses them out. But it takes forever and you lose staff over it because they don't want to live through waiting on that process while answering to a nincompoop.

What sort of douchebag, ignorant POS, racist cracker would be carrying one around in the first place? Oh, never mind, I answered the question. I wouldn't call the cops on the douche but I would have a good laugh at the a-hole.

Your pathetic, hate filled rant, must have made you proud...

11836714_898386753565767_5937476622050296705_n.jpg

Your pathetic, hate filled rant, must have made you proud...

Yes it is historic. Be our guest. If you want to wave around a flag that represents failure, the side that lost, the side that supported slavery and ignorance, go right ahead. We and the rest of the world just laugh at you but I personally support your right to make a complete fool of yourself.

It must pain you to be so thoroughly owned by a metrosexual such as myself.

:rofl:

That flag's been waved around for decades, more than a century. It was only recently that the anus of the left got enough pus filled up to spew their venom in that direction.

My God. Look at that house on the left's property value fall!!!

ba06575a73885c059197cdf7d3a65cc7.jpg

(Photo copied shamelessly from a FB group where someone posted it today saying their tower project is done. I didn't even bother looking up who or where because... I thought it would be educational for folks to see a modest installation that isn't bothering anyone... Which has been banned in 99% of all new housing developments in my entire State since over two decades ago. Full. Retard. And you never... go full retard.)

I think the colorful plastic crap for his spawn to play with in the yard, looks worse than the tower.

March the ankle-biters out there and show em how to build a toy box out of some MDF and get them some quality time with power tools and daddy. Bonus points if an ER trip is involved. ;)

Something tells me you spend your life hating people you don't know, for saying things, you don't understand.

It must pain you to be so thoroughly owned by a metrosexual such as myself.

You have a serious problem with projecting your weaknesses, failures, fears, and problems onto others. Maybe a little therapy would help, but I suspect psychotropic drugs will be necessary to curb your out of control hatred.

My God. Look at that house on the left's property value fall!!!

Well you're a smart guy so lets work through this together, shall we ;)

Will that antenna have raised, neutral or lowered the value of the house next door? Even you won't claim it raised the value. Okay good. So you're probably going to claim it is neutral? WRONG! There are plenty of people who when they look at the house next door will walk away. I am one of those. Talk to any realtor about this. When I'm looking at houses, I instruct my realtor to not show me any houses where I can see power lines, water towers, infrastructure, etc. And there are plenty like me. So that home owner on the left has just lost me and others like me as a potential customer. Will this affect that particular home's value? On average, yes it will because you have reduced the number of potential customers. This can only have a downward pressure on the possible sales price.

People like that can be incredibly selfish and can't see this. Maybe if you had someone erect a large pulsating statue of a penis looming over your backyard you might suddenly have a change of heart because that is not YOUR particular hobby and not YOUR desire to have around.

You have a serious problem with projecting your weaknesses, failures, fears, and problems onto others. Maybe a little therapy would help, but I suspect psychotropic drugs will be necessary to curb your out of control hatred.

I will take your concerns and suggestions to heart.

Will that antenna have raised, neutral or lowered the value of the house next door? Even you won't claim it raised the value. Okay good. So you're probably going to claim it is neutral? WRONG! There are plenty of people who when they look at the house next door will walk away. I am one of those. Talk to any realtor about this. When I'm looking at houses, I instruct my realtor to not show me any houses where I can see power lines, water towers, infrastructure, etc. And there are plenty like me. So that home owner on the left has just lost me and others like me as a potential customer. Will this affect that particular home's value? On average, yes it will because you have reduced the number of potential customers. This can only have a downward pressure on the possible sales price.

People like that can be incredibly selfish and can't see this. Maybe if you had someone erect a large pulsating statue of a penis looming over your backyard you might suddenly have a change of heart because that is not YOUR particular hobby and not YOUR desire to have around.

So your point is that you're a fussy whiner? Plenty of other people aren't and don't care.

As far as the penis statute goes, Denver City and County government already paid half a million for one of those and called it "art". Most folks that see it think it resembles a giant penis made out of rubbers filled with water, backlit from the inside with red lights.

I'm definitely sure I don't care other than what they spent for it. If someone put it in their backyard we'd have fun making fun of it. Might sneak over and put a trash bag over it with a sign that says "safe sex" or similar.

You defend the fussy minority controlling everyone else because you're fussy. Way more people don't care than do. Try not to be so surprised that the majority have tried the whole HOA thing and have found it quite lacking, even though they look good on paper.

I don't think you telling a story about how fussy you are really makes much of a point other than that your house searches are probably more difficult than most. Haha.

That's commonly known as an over inflated sense of self worth.

several here like that.

You defend the fussy minority controlling everyone else because you're fussy. Way more people don't care than do. Try not to be so surprised that the majority have tried the whole HOA thing and have found it quite lacking, even though they look good on paper.

:rofl: What planet are you living on? If the majority didn't want HOA's, we wouldn't have HOA's.

If fussy means I don't want to look at your junk then yes I'm fussy. And I'm in the majority... You can try to deny that but the fact remains: The huge majority of people think your antenna is fugly and don't want to be looking at it. No point in arguing any further because you cannot see that. You think your ugly baby is the most beautiful creation on earth. The rest of us see something ugly and misshapen.

The huge majority of houses for sale are in locations where your antenna is not allowed. This is the fact. So you can whine and try to argue why we are all wrong but the fact remains.

I will retire now to my HOA neighborhood without your fugly antenna.

:lol:

Typical. A whiner whining about whether some else is whining about them....

:rofl: What planet are you living on? If the majority didn't want HOA's, we wouldn't have HOA's.

Wrong. The majority are MEH on HOAs but sign the paperwork anyway, in a misguided thought that "it won't be that bad."

A few get lucky and it's not. Others get a bored Doctor's trophy wife that they have a contractual obligation to obey and take six years of their life to get rid of her.

Just because the "standard legal packet" the lawyers of the builders wrote as boilerplate includes them, and they're not optional to sign, isn't really an indication that they're wanted nor appreciated years later when they're a disaster for most involved.

Most people (non-readers, mostly) just sign the 30 or so documents put before them at the closing table without legal counsel nor reading them, themselves.

It's similar to the idiots that sign the sales bill for a new car on a day when their bank is closed and then don't get approved for the loan and wonder why they're going to have to pay $5/mile for their weekend out in that new car.

A buddy was one of those who just signed the thing and didn't care, until he wanted a solar system. He said never again. It takes a specific event to realize you've signed a binding contract to have the ditzy homecoming queen limit your rights with your real estate.

Funny, I just opened this thread again and see the antenna talk and it's amusing me right now.

Some time after I'd committed to buying we were at the house and across the ditch though the trees something I'd never seen before caught my eye. There's a big old C-band dish out there! Big one... probably 10' or more. My first thought seeing it was... "whoa cool, does that thing still work?". Indeed after getting a receiver and reconnecting the old coax lines indeed it does. My friend and I were having a great time last night scanning the sky to see what we bring in.

For me, satellite dishes and antenna towers and such are pluses if anything. They are something I can use and get some value out of. Maybe ham radio, maybe FTA satellite TV, or whatever. See, I'm a technical sort of guy. I like seeing the covers off electrical boxes, hoods off cars, wires, gears... all of it. I like seeing the technological achievements of mankind and understanding how it works. Little projects like the C-band dish or rebuilding an old car or putting up a ham radio tower or whatever are a big part of my life. Oh and btw so are things like dragstrips and airports.

Seriously, I've been having cropdusters and military jets I haven't yet identified flying low right over my house. It's awesome, I run out with the camera.

Yet I read story after story... airports shut down cause someone doesn't like the noise. Ham radio guys forced to give up their hobby cause some nosy neighbor can't stand the sight of an antenna. Car guy forced to hide his project somewhere or sell it because god forbid it's visible somewhere.... and so on and so forth.

I don't know what you pro HOA people are getting out of this... I really don't. Do you just sit outside all day looking at the neighborhood? Is that what life is to you... what things look like? You might be making your neighborhoods better for people who like your particular aesthetic but you're making it a miserable place to live for those of us who like doing things besides just sleeping and eating at our homes.

I'm fortunate- I don't have to live in a major metro to make a living. A lot of people just don't have the option. I feel sorry for people stuck in that situation and while I'm not... I do share in the communal sense of outrage

I don't know what you pro HOA people are getting out of this... I really don't. Do you just sit outside all day looking at the neighborhood? Is that what life is to you... what things look like?

OK, last HOA story, I swear. I got a great job offer, and moved to CO. We didn't want to be in the city, so we rented for 6 mo in Castle Rock. I looked for a place in the country, but my wife and kids loved this damn house on Wildflowers way. It was in an HOA. So I get all the papers, sign up, move in and oh-spit, my neighbor 6 houses down is one of my bosses at work. This is not going to go well.

His wife doesn't work, stay at home mom with one kid who is kind of a brat. We moved in late Aug. Come Halloween time her house is tastefully decorated with all the proper stuff in the proper spot. Very, very nicely done. I put up ONE jack-o-lantern, with an internal light hung from the soffit of the garage. Next morning I have a printed notice on my front door telling me to take it down or face 'sanctions'. So, I go out, look around and what do I see, binoculars in the front window of my bosses house looking right at me! Busted! I made his life living hell for the next 4 months, just screwed up everything he was in charge of repeatedly. When I left, I mentioned that I didn't appreciate his wife spying on us and her ****y behavior last Oct. Buh-bye.:D

Here is MY last HOA story. This cracker from florida came to live next door and he thought it would be okay to dig a hole in the front yard then erect an outhouse with a prominent confederate flag on it. Luckily for me there was an HOA and we were able to get it removed. To this day I don't understand why he did this, I mean there was a perfectly functional crapper inside. Perhaps he wanted a suitable monument for his flag? I don't know.

Anyway that is my HOA story and I swear it is true.

Here is MY last HOA story. This cracker from florida came to live next door and he thought it would be okay to dig a hole in the front yard then erect an outhouse with a prominent confederate flag on it. Luckily for me there was an HOA and we were able to get it removed. To this day I don't understand why he did this, I mean there was a perfectly functional crapper inside. Perhaps he wanted a suitable monument for his flag? I don't know.

Is hanging a jack-o-lantern out as egregious an offense as digging an outhouse in the front yard?

Of course not.

:idea:

Maybe neither happened?

Google Wildflowers way in Castle Rock, then look up their HOA docs.

It would appear one of us is full of spit, and the other is being forthright. I will leave it to the collective to decide which is witch. Oops, I misspelled there. :wink2:

Do your own research. I haven't been there for 15 years.

Nice dodge. There is none. I called you on it and you are unable to produce. And I looked for it.

Just a fabrication like so much else here to "prove" your point.

Nice dodge. There is none. I called you on it and you are unable to produce. And I looked for it.

Just a fabrication like so much else here to "prove" your point.

You can't find <> it doesn't exist.

I'm beginning to fathom the whiny commentary above. If it makes you feel better about yourself you may consider it a fabrication. Just for you though.;)

<edit; It is kind of interesting that they promo the main website for the development and home sales heavily -- but, they bury the info on the HOA. There are, surprise - no links to the required HOA of the community. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.>

Last edited:

I think you are seriously psychotic.... and not in a funny ha ha way.

I couldn't care less if my neighbors erected a pulsating penis, illuminated it with hot pink neon light for effect, and danced naked around it during the full moon while chanting to the Earth Mother. It doesn't affect me in the least.

But then again, I'm not a control freak. Neither do I (nor would I) belong to an HOA. I understand that freedom means allowing for things that may not be my cup of tea.

Rich

Castle Rock was a bedroom community quite a way out of town when I was growing up here. It's a veritable hive of Californians-come-lately after the many years of mass development in Douglas County.

Douglas County is the place where Nick got to go to their pretty and expensive new "Justice Center" for his crazy speeding ticket, for those who recall that thread and are playing along with the home game. You know, the one where Clark and I told him he'd pay more fighting it than paying it, even if it wasn't him.

It's overrun with PC weenies.

Douglas County is also where we saw the nice lady in the Cadillac SUV slam a deer and then the Sheriff's Deputy stand around waiting for Animal Control for over an hour while an animal with at least two broken legs and countless internal injuries enough for it to pass away in pain, screaming in the middle of the road, instead of just shooting it. He'd be fried by the political crap and animal "rights" groups and his own district's policy if he drew his sidearm and put the deer down.

In contrast, bothered by having watched that lovely bit of animal brutality (and him dragging the carcass to the median almost two hours later with no sign of DougCo Animal Control), I talked to two Sheriffs separately in Elbert County, 15 minutes East and where we live. (In real Colorado, frankly...)

Both said the same thing. Shoot it yourself and don't make it suffer, then call it in. If you feel like taking it home and dressing it yourself we have to just get some paperwork, so call it in. If you don't want it, we'll find someone who does.

It is zero surprise Doc had his experience in Castle Rock, from this local.

Might be worth adding that Castle Rock is the only southern Californicated suburb of Denver that has ZERO water rights to ground water and is pumping water from the non-replenishable Arapahoe aquifer at high rates. They'll finish off Arapahoe in about 100 years, or less with continued expansion.

And, the Californication project known as Douglas County, will be complete.

All that was in DougCo when I was a kid were widely scattered horse properties and a few ranches. Nobody even noticed it on the drive from Denver to Colorado Springs. Pilots knew about Castle Rock since CASSE is on top of the mountain there.

Here's hoping Hess Reservoir can service the couple of million that moved there. But so far, none of that water has been bought or is owned by Castle Rock. A decade of development and new houses... And some really insanely stupid city planners.

Let's all hop in the mini van and head to the Outlet Mall, honey! I hear they have a Baby Gap.

LOL.

Back