Maintenance shop customer service

ArrowFlyer86

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
The Little Arrow That Could
Honest question: have aircraft maintenance shops always had questionable customer service, or is that a new, Post-COVID, A&P shortage development?

B/c I've found dealing with these shops to be the least enjoyable aspect of ownership over the last 3 years. Not because they're the bearers of bad news when things need fixing, but because I have yet to find a shop that is able and willing to give updates or to set a deadline and then even attempt to hit it. It seems like setting a target of X days, and then taking 3x as much time is the norm (or more). No apologies, no updates, just a shrug and "oh well". It seems like keeping customers appraised of progress is such an easy (and free) thing to do, yet I find myself constantly having to twist their arm for anything.

I can't imagine the industry always worked like this? Or maybe I just have exceptionally bad luck at choosing mx shops...

Incidentally... if anyone knows of a good shop within 300nm of Chicago, please let me know. I'm all ears and totally open to trying a new place.

raw

I deal with Flightstar here at CMI. I have the head mechanic's cell phone number, and he answers it. Even outside of business hours when I've had problems away from home. The only time I've had issues with things taking longer than estimated was when waiting on outside parts/ services.

So there are good shops, but this comes with a price... the price. They aren't cheap. My annual was $3500 for the inspection and servicing. I'm not sure what the shop rate actually is, but it seems to be >$100/hr. Worth it in my book.

I'd encourage you to give them a try. Their main business is maintaining the 141 school's fleet of archers, arrows, and Seminoles, so they have a deep stock of piper parts. If you wind up bringing your plane down here, I'd be happy to give you a ride home. @NealRomeoGolf is bringing his lance over for annual next month, so he can give you an unbiased review in about 6 weeks.

I can't imagine the industry always worked like this? Or maybe I just have exceptionally bad luck at choosing mx shops...
For the most part certain mechanics (not shops per se) have always been like this. I find the same outside aviation as well. As to choosing shops do you discuss these expectations prior to bringing your aircraft to these shops? Or is this something you automatically assume will take place? When I needed to send an aircraft to a shop I worked out a service agreement upfront with what I expected: updates, changes to the work schedule, etc. But I needed it to make sure their problems didn't interfere with my workflow. I did the same for my clients. I had a day job so once I was on schedule no phone calls or texts. Emails were good but don't expect an immediate reply. In my experience, being up front with your shop usually takes care of these issues or shows its not your bad luck when picking a shop.

I deal with Flightstar here at CMI. I have the head mechanic's cell phone number, and he answers it. Even outside of business hours when I've had problems away from home. The only time I've had issues with things taking longer than estimated was when waiting on outside parts/ services.

So there are good shops, but this comes with a price... the price. They aren't cheap. My annual was $3500 for the inspection and servicing. I'm not sure what the shop rate actually is, but it seems to be >$100/hr. Worth it in my book.

I'd encourage you to give them a try. Their main business is maintaining the 141 school's fleet of archers, arrows, and Seminoles, so they have a deep stock of piper parts. If you wind up bringing your plane down here, I'd be happy to give you a ride home. @NealRomeoGolf is bringing his lance over for annual next month, so he can give you an unbiased review in about 6 weeks.
I appreciate the recommendation and the invitation! I'll very likely use their service for my next annual based on that review. $3500 is not bad if it means they actually pick up the phone and respond with updates! This shop charges $2800 base price and that's for non-existent communication.

The problem I've had the last couple years, and am having again this year (new shop) is we can easily go 1, 2, 3 weeks in a row with no updates. Unless I call, sometimes more than once, I just won't get a response on updates/next steps/etc. And at least half the time I get a response of something like "we'll have a summary/recap for you tomorrow by the latest" (and then they fail to send it for a week(s) ). I was on the schedule with this shop 3 months in advance with a promise that a tech was available to start looking right away when I dropped it off. When I called 14 days into the annual after hearing nothing they told me they haven't even moved the plane into the maintenance hangar because of "bad weather" :mad: (it was stored in an adjacent hangar and would have taken 5 minutes to move). I'm often left wondering how some of these places have any business at all.

For the most part certain mechanics (not shops per se) have always been like this. I find the same outside aviation as well. As to choosing shops do you discuss these expectations prior to bringing your aircraft to these shops? Or is this something you automatically assume will take place? When I needed to send an aircraft to a shop I worked out a service agreement upfront with what I expected: updates, changes to the work schedule, etc. But I needed it to make sure their problems didn't interfere with my workflow. I did the same for my clients. I had a day job so once I was on schedule no phone calls or texts. Emails were good but don't expect an immediate reply. In my experience, being up front with your shop usually takes care of these issues or shows its not your bad luck when picking a shop.
This is good feedback.
Admittedly I have not come up with any service level agreements in advance for any of these shops. The extent that I've done is called to see if they have space on the schedule for an annual and get some assurances that a mechanic will actually be available. It sounds like I might need to do something a little more formal, or make my expectations more explicit so they know when I'm going to be beating down their door if I don't hear from them.

One issues shops are running into is getting parts or things serviced that they need to send out.

Nothing your local shop can do if they have to send something out to be serviced and that takes, with shipping, 4 weeks.

I use two shops. One at my home field, and one not too far away that is more Mooney specific. Both do very good work. And have good communications, but both missed the quoted deadlines by a couple of weeks. Mostly out of their hands.

@Arrow Flyer I've had pretty descent luck with Plane Safe at KUES (Waukesha, WI) and Wisconsin Aviation KRYV (Watertown, WI). Flat rate annual at WISAV on my Grumman AA1 was $1,500 and my T210 $3200 @ a shop rate of $99. Communication was good, updates timely, and work was through and of good quality.

Plane safe recently did some adhoc maintenance on my 210 and reasonable and timely with good phone comms and progressive updates. They even took my airplane from my hangar did the work and put it back without me having to be there, which was nice. (I'm based at KUES.)

They are both booked out until Late April but when the appointed time came they got me in and out in the expected timeframe.

Last edited:
I also have recent experience with Plane Safe. They did....fine. PM me if you want more.

Stuff happens that can delay getting a job done. We had a Mustang come in for a small repair and to troubleshoot a problem. Airplane ended up being in the shop for several months due to cascading problems and the owner’s travel schedule keeping him out of contact.

I have two shops for my work. I have a good relationship with both IAs that run the shop. Both shops keep me advised on the progress of any work being done. My phone calls never go unanswered.

They just slipped on another deadline today without an update despite my very direct phone conversation with them yesterday where I voiced my disappointment and concern and we established expectations. I was promised today by the latest they'd have an update. Alas nothing. But I can't say I'm even a little surprised they **** the bed again b/c it's just a total ******* clown show.

Though I do appreciate everyone's feedback here. From the more positive experiences you all are describing -- it's pretty clear I just need to switch shops to one of yours.

I think Covid policies did a lot of damage. Some older guys retired during the lockdowns. Some shops simply went bust, like a lot of other small businesses.

It seems like keeping customers appraised of progress is such an easy (and free) thing to do, yet I find myself constantly having to twist their arm for anything.
Not that I don't empathize with you, but keeping customers appraised is not free. It takes time and time is money, or rather it is time they could be spending making money. Perhaps they should have a line item charge for time spent appraising customers of progress, which would include not only the time spent calling and leaving a message, but also including the time to get down out of an airplane, make note of what they were doing and at what point they are at, wipe their hands and go answer your return call. I'd say each update would probably eat up at least a half hour and a half dozen updates at $100/hour would tack on an extra $300. And then there is the PITA add-on charge.

@JOhnH
Yeah, you are correct it's not exactly free to give updates. But when I say "updates" I literally mean even 1 liner would be helpful. Like "looking at aircraft, expect to be done by Friday", or "Sorry, Friday deadline isn't going to happen, aiming for Tuesday".... Instead it's routinely crickets. Total radio silence. I would call only to find out no progress had been made - and then laden with apologies. It starts to give you the distinct feeling that absolutely nothing will get done unless you're peering over their shoulder pushing them to keep going. Even tiny updates devoid of detailed write-ups are helpful.

That said... You know what they say, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it? They surprised me today by sending in my list after hours.

And let me just say -- the rest of my evening will be dedicated to:
(1) Having an ice cold beer;
(2) Popping a pill to handle acid reflux from reading this bill and drinking said beer;
(3) Figuring out which items they're being a little too creative on in order to juice the bill higher... it's a doozy.

I think it is as simple as supply and demand. There is more demand for aircraft maintenance then there is supply of mechanics and shops. The shops don't care if they loose some clients due to poor customer service because there are more clients lined up to take their place. When demand starts to drop, the shops will do more to keep their existing customers happy.

I think it is as simple as supply and demand.
Maybe. But even when there were "plentiful" maintenance providers there were a number of mechanics/shops that operated in the same manner. What I think has happened is the numbers of "good" mechanics/shops has started to decline in certain areas that you now see and hear of the difference. In the areas I travel, most still run a good business and keep things up front with a similar discussion going on in the TCM AD thread, where some owners can't get help and some can. Are there shops that play the numbers? Sure. But until you start to see the numbers of APIAs increase, it will only get worse as the good guys reach retirement age. The demand is on the mechanics side and unfortunately not on the owners side which is on the slippery slope end.

Last edited:
Beer ingested, acid reflux contained, onto step 3. Working through the list of entries to find ones that seem unreasonable...

Sorry don't mean to rant but I just can't help myself after aforementioned beers!

My GTX335 transponder AND Garmin G5 -- both installed improperly? Both units were installed by (different) professional avionics shops and work great... I guess it's possible both shops were incompetent enough to do it wrong, but highly doubtful. And they're labeling them both as mandatory airworthiness issues???
And what is a "Garmin GA35 Antenna - Annual" inspection that takes 0.5 labor hours to complete? Just like look at it on the roof and see the antenna? No text or anything to accompany it, just 'annual'. Never seen someone try to bill me for that before.
Bruhs also are complaining that my aerotrim isn't installed correctly despite having a conformity check and a 337 filed a year ago with a shop that hunted down the (now quite old) aerotrim guys to get the documentation behind it, along with a thorough log entry (and the work completed by a very reputable shop).

upload_2023-3-2_21-5-37.png

I mean... Does that G5 and transponder look like it's messed up? Because let me tell you, if the slanted install of that transponder is worrying and needing $649 of "reinstallation" then holy ****, I can't imagine what they'd say about 95% of the other planes flying out there.
upload_2023-3-2_21-21-56.png

This is just a tiny sample of it, about 4% of the bill. I'm going to have to figure out a way to debate some of these things. It seems like they're just doing whatever they can to juice up the maximum labor hours possible (and virtually 0$ in parts on these suspect jobs). Seems like a great way to max out their margins without physically doing anything.

Beer ingested, acid reflux contained, onto step 3. Working through the list of entries to find ones that seem unreasonable...

Sorry don't mean to rant but I just can't help myself after aforementioned beers!

My GTX335 transponder AND Garmin G5 -- both installed improperly? Both units were installed by (different) professional avionics shops and work great... I guess it's possible both shops were incompetent enough to do it wrong, but highly doubtful. And they're labeling them both as mandatory airworthiness issues???
And what is a "Garmin GA35 Antenna - Annual" inspection that takes 0.5 labor hours to complete? Just like look at it on the roof and see the antenna? No text or anything to accompany it, just 'annual'. Never seen someone try to bill me for that before.
Bruhs also are complaining that my aerotrim isn't installed correctly despite having a conformity check and a 337 filed a year ago with a shop that hunted down the (now quite old) aerotrim guys to get the documentation behind it, along with a thorough log entry (and the work completed by a very reputable shop).

View attachment 115437

I mean... Does that G5 and transponder look like it's messed up? Because let me tell you, if the slanted install of that transponder is worrying and needing $649 of "reinstallation" then holy ****, I can't imagine what they'd say about 95% of the other planes flying out there.
View attachment 115438

This is just a tiny sample of it, about 4% of the bill. I'm going to have to figure out a way to debate some of these things. It seems like they're just doing whatever they can to juice up the maximum labor hours possible (and virtually 0$ in parts on these suspect jobs). Seems like a great way to max out their margins without physically doing anything.
Oh boy. You may have to pull the "sign it of with discrepancies" card and find another mechanic to sign off some of that stuff. This is starting to read like one of those Mike Busch horror stories...

The norm and with little competition in most markets there is little incentive to improve especially when they are weeks backed up.

Just cuz someone is good a wrenching on a plane does not mean they are good a running a businness or customer service so sometimes we as the customer suffer.

And what is a "Garmin GA35 Antenna - Annual" inspection that takes 0.5 labor hours to complete?
FYI: most antennas have an inspection requirement that is more than a simple glance at it. Some even require a regular bonding check. That said making it a discrepancy line-item is a bit much. However without the shop here to offer their reasoning cant offer much more.
I'm going to have to figure out a way to debate some of these things
There's no debate. You are the owner. This is your show. Start by requesting what guide or checklist the shop uses for their annuals. Its required under Part 43. Then request the specific reference used to make the "unairworthy" determination on the equipment installs. But remember what is airworthy is subjective to the person making the determination. Maybe tell them you plan to contact the shops who installed them to pay for this repair. That might induce more discussion? Regardless as mentioned the shop is not here to give their side and there is always two sides.

I read that as the G5 is airworthy but he’d like to do the work to improve the G5 mount. Did he actually do this work for you already?

The G5 EFIS ICA is in section 4 of the maintenance mamual.

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01112-11_03.pdf

The installation manual covers vertical and lateral limitations in 4.1.2.

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01112-10_29.pdf#page34

For that particular line item, I’d be asking some real pointed questions and I’d certainly be curious how the shop is going to fix it without opening up the pitot-static system.

You can probably find the same info on the transponder page.

Thanks @Bell206 , @TCABM .

I appreciate the reminder that this is my show! I'm not a fussy penny pincher when it comes to maintaining this plane. In the past I've approved every airworthiness item and almost every recommended item. But when I get a proposed work-list for $18k, most of which is listed as airworthiness items, and with many items seeming cosmetic at best (e.g., a 1/2mm slant in a GTX335) I start to freak out a bit and feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

I read that as the G5 is airworthy but he’d like to do the work to improve the G5 mount. Did he actually do this work for you already?
They only have 2 categories on the list: "Airworthy" and "Recommended". When I see it labeled as "airworthy" and then use words like "will need to be reinstalled" it makes it sound... not optional.
And no, I haven't approved anything except for the base inspection, so hopefully they didn't do the work already...

I'm headed to the shop today to sit down with the mech. I'm planning to take video/photo snapshots of what's wrong and their description of the fix. And as per @Bell206 suggestion I'm going to get a hold of the checklist that they're using along with descriptions of how they make an airworthiness judgment.

Thanks for the references on the Garmin and tips for things to ask about :cool:

I'm headed to the shop today to sit down with the mech. I'm planning to take video/photo snapshots of what's wrong and their description of the fix. And as per Bell206 suggestion I'm going to get a hold of the checklist that they're using along with descriptions of how they make an airworthiness judgment.

I've read plenty of circumstances that needed intervention/explanation from the shop. I haven't yet heard of a shop cheeky enough to bill for that time, which I think would actually be legitimate. :D

I hope that it goes well and they back down or come up with a face-saving "alternate path to airworthiness" for you.

I spent 4 hours with the A&P yesterday walking through every item on the list. To his credit he walked me through every single item until after working hours to get me the answers I needed.

Takeaways:
(1) The person who prepared the invoice (an office manager not an A&P) seemingly randomly labeled items as airworthy or recommended, despite his more detailed write up more accurately denoting which ones were airworthiness items (a much smaller list);
(2) The invoice preparation double counted a lot of options, so the totals they were providing were absurd;
(3) I went in with the intention of getting their checklist (the one @Bell206 mentions is required under part 43 -- along with determinations of discrepancies). However, once we started working through the specific items and showing them to me I forgot to ask about this. Going to try and get it on Monday.
(4) I totally underestimated how much I would enjoy seeing the Arrow taken apart and getting educated on a lot of the nuts+bolts of it. It's my first time seeing it stripped down during inspection. Granted, I wish it wasn't while I was having a heart attack over the proposed annual price tag, but it was a fun, valuable educational experience none the less. Could have easily spent a full day doing that for fun.

Garmin G5
@TCABM Thank you for sending the G5 installation manual link. This was actually about the first thing he asked if I could provide since he said he has minimal time working with them. Here's his concern with the G5: the people who installed it have a washer they cut or bent right above it (see photo below). He suspects the washer is wedging the G5 in place, sort of ghetto rigged (I don't think it's wedging it in place, it's far too secure for that washer to hold it in place). He also doesn't like that one side doesn't look as flush with the panel as the other (see bottom pic). Separately, I challenged them on the "slight angle" of the G5 they cited; we used an electronic protractor and got between 0-1 degrees of tilt (and that's assuming the jacks are perfectly level). Any tilt is imperceptible to me.
upload_2023-3-4_18-52-8.png

This side isn't as flush with the panel as the other side. But it seems so minor to me as to be inconsequential. In the installation manual it just says "The G5 is installed by inserting the alignment pin located at the top of the unit into the mating hole in the mounting ring, pushing the unit flush with the instrument panel...". But I don't see any tolerance given for what constitutes "flush" (Also the red markings are my own digital markup to show the small gap btw G5 back and panel).
upload_2023-3-4_18-52-37.png

GTX335 Transponder
The transponder isn't mounted as securely as it should be. Getting underneath the panel I had a chance to poke it. With +/-G's I suppose it could move just a little. Personally I was surprised this counts as an airworthiness item -- I'd be interested in getting community feedback. They also said they'll only bill me for time taken, but I'm still a little reluctant to approve 2 full shop hours for it b/c jobs approved for X hours usually have a way of taking all X hours. Feedback appreciated.

Here's a short video to show the give that it has (I took this while I gave it a slight push up from underneath the panel).

Aero-Trim:
The single biggest thing to come out of yesterday's discussion was their claim that the Aero-Trim was installed improperly. For background, it was installed back before the last owner bought it in 1988, but was never documented properly. I paid my main maintenance shop, which usually does high quality work (I think), to do a conformity check on the installation when I first bought the airplane. That was nearly 1k$ alone for that check. The log book entry is pictured below. This current shop doing the annual got a copy of the STC and we walked through it and from what I can tell the measurements are actually indeed wrong (i.e., it's not installed properly). It's installed too far aft on the aileron by about 3", and laterally off by a lesser amount. I've asked the previous shop to provide a picture of the installation drawing they used and I'm hoping it will help.

W/o that drawing showing it's done right I don't know what recourse I could have, if any, to avoid doing a very involved job on the aileron. The proposed job is pretty much getting a new aileron or having it reskinned, painted, balanced at a shop. It's... not cheap.

Installation verification log entry
upload_2023-3-4_19-26-0.png

Propeller Backplate rubbing lower cowl due to motor mounts:
They're suggesting my rubber motor mounts were installed improperly which is now leading to a slight sag, thus resulting in the lower cowl rubbing against the prop backplate. They deemed this an airworthiness item in their view as it should not be rubbing. I have no intelligent opinion on whether the motor mounts would cause that, and whether or not that wear is new? The motor mounts are not new... And because I'm a dumb-dumb I'm still having trouble understanding how we can guarantee that reseating/reinstalling the motor mounts will prevent this? Any thoughts on this?

The wear they're pointing to on the plate:
upload_2023-3-4_19-36-27.png

Corresponding wear in the lower cowl:
upload_2023-3-4_19-37-7.png

They pointed out the things in the motor mount that concerned them about their installation - but I didn't get photos.

Last edited:
Glad you're making some progress. I'm kind of floored he said he didn't have experience with g5's... they're pretty ubiquitous. Seems like a pretty easy test to take the screw out and see if it's solid. If it needs fixing and you want someone else to do it, an ai isn't required for vfr flight.

I don't know anything about the aerotrim system. What does it even do? Can it be removed, or is that a similar expense to fixing it?

I'd definitely change the motor mounts. They don't cost much, should fix that rubbing, and you might get less vibration. Should be less than a grand to get that done. I would call the spinny bits touching the stationary bits an airworthiness issue. Reference @SixPapaCharlie 's recent thread about getting his motor mounts changed and his spinner moving up a good 1/2" in the cowl. Motor mounts do get tired. It's possible your cowl is somehow otherwise screwed up, but my money would be on motor mounts.

Sorry I should have explained, it's just aileron trim. AeroTrim is the brand... I don't think the Aerotrim can be removed without also reskinning, painting, balancing the aileron. That's not super cheap, it'd be an external job and I'd probably be physically driving the aileron to Indiana for the work (else they have to build a crate to ship it lol)... I haven't used the trim once while flying except to test and make sure it works after buying the plane. Idk why the guy even installed it decades back. Big headache for me!

Re: his familiarity with the G5... All I can say is that every other piston single in the hangars were Cirrus, so perhaps they're usually more into Avidyne or Garmin G1000s?

Re: prop backplate... I'm inclined to believe the same (that it's a real enough issue to require fixing). He thinks we can skip getting new mounts and just reseat/reinstall the existing ones *properly*. That's good because motor mounts have to be the most expensive pieces of rubber I've ever seen.

They're suggesting my rubber motor mounts were installed improperly
Trying to picture this comment. How do they plan to install them correctly? New mounts would seem to be in order based on my experience. The avionics write ups seem to be a bit excessive, but that is my opinion. Is this a big shop? A repair station by any chance? Is his main work Cirrus type aircraft? Would interested to see their annual checklist if you get it.
I'm kind of floored he said he didn't have experience with g5'
Not really. There are still plenty of aircraft out there without "glass" installed.

Lord motor mounts have a particular orientation required depending on whether they're the top mounts or bottom. The top aft are in compression, as are the bottom fronts, so they're made of stiffer stuff. Getting them switched with their softer, opposing mates results in instant sag.

That fiberglass could easily ruin the spinner backplate, that is NOT cheap.

There are still plenty of aircraft out there without "glass" installed.
Well there's no disputing that, but I'd guess that of the piston singles I've been close to, more than half have at least one g5. Probably a quarter have a dynon, g3x, g500, gi275, etc.

Unfortunately PoA didn't alert me to comments on this thread so I'm getting back to it a bit late.
The good news is that it sounds like I should expect to get the Arrow back this Friday. Just in time for terrible weather that will likely prevent me from making it to Sun N Fun...

Trying to picture this comment. How do they plan to install them correctly? New mounts would seem to be in order based on my experience. The avionics write ups seem to be a bit excessive, but that is my opinion. Is this a big shop? A repair station by any chance? Is his main work Cirrus type aircraft? Would interested to see their annual checklist if you get it.
The normal shop I take it to is a Class IV Part 145 repair station and they do solid work. It's not the cheapest place but they can explain everything they want to do in detail and boil it down so simpletons like me understand. However, this shop is a regular maintenance shop so far as I can tell and also a Cirrus Service Center (I knew I did something wrong when I went in there and *literally* every single plane in the hangar was an SR22...).

Lord motor mounts have a particular orientation required depending on whether they're the top mounts or bottom. The top aft are in compression, as are the bottom fronts, so they're made of stiffer stuff. Getting them switched with their softer, opposing mates results in instant sag.
That's essentially what they said was wrong with it, that one of them was installed backwards b/c it was mixed with another one. I have no knowledge of motor mounts so aside from looking at them and smiling and nodding, I had no idea how to identify if something was wrong. With their reinstalling of the mounts they're saying there is no longer any contact between the propeller backplate and the lower cowl. They said new mounts would have been better, but this still works OK.

The G5 EFIS ICA is in section 4 of the maintenance manual. The installation manual covers vertical and lateral limitations in 4.1.2.
For that particular line item, I’d be asking some real pointed questions and I’d certainly be curious how the shop is going to fix it without opening up the pitot-static system..

Well you nailed this one on the head. It sounds like during the course of opening it up a static line that was not installed well came off its fitting (they said the G5 installer used too small of a rubber line to connect it to the fitting, causing it to crack). The short story is that now I have to pay not only for the G5 being reseated but also close to $500 for a new 91.411 IFR check (mine USED to be good until August '24). A nice, last minute surprise for me.

Well you nailed this one on the head. It sounds like during the course of opening it up a static line that was not installed well came off its fitting (they said the G5 installer used too small of a rubber line to connect it to the fitting, causing it to crack). The short story is that now I have to pay not only for the G5 being reseated but also close to $500 for a new 91.411 IFR check (mine USED to be good until August '24). A nice, last minute surprise for me.

I may be off-base here but my understanding is that you don't need to do a full cert, but rather just a leak test. Maybe it is splitting hairs, but ask the shop if just a leak test would do. I'd post a link, but I'm too new. So...the following was posted on the "askacfi" site, post # 33914. Maybe it applies here.

Q: "If an A&P does a static leak check and finds & fixes one (allowed per 91.411) during the 24mo validity period (for IFR) does a licensed shop then need to complete a full new 91.411 test?"
A: "Short answer no. The operative regulations are copied below.

91.411 (a)(2) Except for the use of system drain and alternate static pressure valves, following any opening and closing of the static pressure system, that system has been tested and inspected and found to comply with paragraph (a), appendix E, of part 43 of this chapter

Part 43, Appendix E:
(a) Static pressure system:
(1) Ensure freedom from entrapped moisture and restrictions.
(2) Perform a proof test to demonstrate the integrity of the static pressure system in a manner acceptable to the Administrator. For airplanes certificated under part 25 of this chapter, determine that leakage is within the tolerances established by §25.1325."

Thanks @RVJohnK for the info!
Would you interpret that as only a leak check would need to be done if the hose connecting the G5 to static line is replaced entirely? It sounds like the whole thing had to be replaced because it cracked since it was attached to a fitting that was too big.

My interpretation would be that replacing the static line falls into "any opening and closing of the static pressure system." It can't hurt to ask the shop if a leak test would suffice.

The full cert includes checking transponder reporting at different altitudes along with testing the pitot-static system. Other stuff too, I'm sure.

but my understanding is that you don't need to do a full cert, but rather just a leak test.
f the hose connecting the G5 to static line is replaced entirely? It
FYI: this type maintenance normally defaults to the requirement found in 91.411(a)(3) especially in an CRS environment. And given it takes the same equipment to check the system, its usually money ahead to get a fresh 2 year signed off at the same time.

FYI: this type maintenance normally defaults to the requirement found in 91.411(a)(3) especially in an CRS environment. And given it takes the same equipment to check the system, its usually money ahead to get a fresh 2 year signed off at the same time.

I'm sure your experience exceeds mine, and I was indeed off base. Apologies if I provided a bum steer or false hope.

While they were doing that new 91.411 check they discovered that my altitude encoder had a "terrible leak". The only solution is a new altitude encoder or replace with a used one (I went with a used one). I've gotten 2 IFR checks in the last 2 years and had no issue so this was a surprise.
... Anyways.. what started as simply readjusting the G5 b/c they didn't like the washer on top turned into quite a bit more than that :eek:...

My biggest complaint over the years has been over communication. I work on all kinds of mechanical things myself and I fully understand that you often run into issues that can’t be predicted until you’re in the thick of it. I’m very patient with people as long as they’re making an honest effort, but for the love of god tell me what’s going on. Send a quick text or email at the end of the day, even every other day. Just update me.

Especially if my airplane is at a remote field where it may take some coordination and planning on my end to go get it.

Not long ago I had my plane in an avionics shop for some work- they ran into an issue and what was estimated to be a week turned into a few months. They didn’t communicate what was going on until maybe a month in. I asked about it on POA and got info that would have saved them days of frustration if they’d only talked to me. My god, if I’m paying you thousands of $ you can take the minute to send a brief email or text. That’s just ridiculous. In fairness to them they stuck to the original quote for labor so they only cost themselves time/money I only had aggravation to deal with.

I’ve also in previous years needed work done by the(then) mechanics on field. I always had to call repeatedly to find out if they’d started the work or not and if it had been completed. On a couple of occasions they completed the work, put my plane back in the hangar, and never notified me it was done.

It’s not just aviation maintenance where I see this kind of thing but it’s definitely one of the worst offenders.

Back