Looking to change careers to A&P, any advice?

drummer4468

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
drummer4468
Hey all,

Thinking out loud here(as usual). So I'm exploring a career change in the near future, and starting to put out feelers in aircraft maintenance land.

A bit of my background: I'm currently a satellite communications technician with over 10 years' experience between Army active duty and DoD contractor jobs. In this time I've operated and maintained many types of ground terminals ranging from 40-60' dishes (the kind that take 50+ gallon gearbox oil changes) to smaller mobile tactical terminals, and all of the sytems and subsystems that drive them. So I have a very solid background in mechanical, electrical, electronic, and RF work, and all of the paperwork/record keeping that goes along with it. In my personal life, I've been a gearhead since I could hold a wrench, and have quite a lot of non-professional experience working on engines, drivetrains, and everything else that makes cars go. Additionally I'm a private pilot with instrument rating, and almost finished with commercial training but have no interest in pipelining to the airlines. I'm also about 75-80% done with a Bachelors degree in Aviation.

I'm approaching an unexpected crossroads in this current field, so I got to thinking about how much I'd love to transfer these skills to the aviation world. I am very interested in apprenticing toward an A&P certification, eventually IA and avionics as well.

As I sit down and seriously contemplate the brass-tacks reality of this transition, the biggest concern I have is trying to figure out where I'd land on the pay scale. Even given my strong background, I have a feeling that not having the A&P cert will understandably be a huge blow to the salary. I wish I had time to apprentice part-time before pulling the trigger, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards right now. Downside of govt contract work, it can be super stable until it's not. If push comes to shove, I'd much rather make this transition now than relocate for another SatCom job. Normally I'd be okay with taking a pay cut to do work I'm passionate about, but the budget's pretty tight right now and a guy's still gotta afford to live. These flight training loans ain't paying themselves off, lol.

Has anyone here been in a similar position, and could you maybe cast some light as to what I can expect? Maybe a guesstimate of realistic salary expectations? Any input is appreciated

You want to work for yourself or commercial?

In the commercial world, look around. You can find jobs starting at $30/hr, also some at $20. Might top out around 50 after years of work, but those number will go up a little over time.

You didn't mention what area you are in now, but but it really doesn't matter. There are opportunities nearly everywhere if you are willing to work and show up on time. At my home airport there are 2 established maintenance companies and both are good places to look. It likely the same near you. Good luck.

Q: how is your GI Bill situation?

I am very interested in apprenticing toward an A&P certification, eventually IA and avionics as well.
I have a feeling that not having the A&P cert will understandably be a huge blow to the salary
Career change definitely possible. Unfortunately, without having your A&P ticket in hand you'll take a large pay cut. There is no true national A&P apprenticeship program. Recently there have been a number of companies starting their own programs due to A&P demand but these are basically glorified helper positions with assistance toward obtaining an A&P. However all is not lost.

One option is to remain in the satcom field for the next 2 years but tweak it to include a location and time to attend an A&P school. Maybe your military benefits will pay it? Also check into whether your current aviation degree credits can be applied to your A&P experience requirements. Some colleges allow this which can reduce the Part 147 requirement by 6 months leaving only 18 months left to attend school.

If your satcom experience does have a direct link to aircraft avionics then you could find yourself in a unique position. A crack avionics tech with an A&P is the golden ticket. There could be other options for you to pursue also but would need more info from your side to figure out. I would definitely look into all options before giving up if you really want to go this direction.

You would have to get a lot of experience on aircraft maintenance. They don’t care about what you know about satellite dishes.

No matter what you decide....it's gonna take two years before you get your ticket.

Q: how is your GI Bill situation?

Already using the GI Bill for flight training

Career change definitely possible. Unfortunately, without having your A&P ticket in hand you'll take a large pay cut. There is no true national A&P apprenticeship program. Recently there have been a number of companies starting their own programs due to A&P demand but these are basically glorified helper positions with assistance toward obtaining an A&P. However all is not lost.

One option is to remain in the satcom field for the next 2 years but tweak it to include a location and time to attend an A&P school.

Yeah, that’s about what I figured. And I use the “apprentice” term loosely, referring to simply working under supervision to build the hours. I feel like I’d do much better getting spun up while on the job and getting paid, rather than diverting more free time to attending another school. I’ve ever worked with avionics specifically, but have done plenty of component-level repairs, wiring, making cables, etc. Honestly, I’ve gone as high as I really want to go in the satcom world. I like being a hands-on tech rather than the desk-bound admin type.

You would have to get a lot of experience on aircraft maintenance. They don’t care about what you know about satellite dishes.

Oh of course. I’m not deluded into thinking I can slide right in as a lead mechanic or anything. Just hoping to set myself above others coming in without such a background, doing my best to highlight my experience doing advanced work efficiently with attention to detail, and logging everything accurately.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I’ve started emailing a few shops around me here in Maine to see where I might stand and get a better picture of how to move forward. Hopefully I’ll have more wiggle room once I finish CPL and can get paid to fly on the side. Lots of scenic and charter operations around here.

…Thanks for the comments, everyone.
A couple of thoughts…
1. Choose one path or the other unless there’s a compelling need or advantage to both. The pro pilot career likely will be more lucrative in the long run if you’re willing to do what it takes in the early years.

2. Having the A&P and using it are two different things in my book. My state has a real good veteran’s education benefit that will allow me to do a community college A&P program tuition free. Doing that and then the work to get and maintain the IA is my entry ticket for sole ownership (partners currently with one also A&P/IA), otherwise I’ll just build an RV-10 and do my own condition inspections.

How old you are and what you plan long term for your future has a lot to do with this decision. Expect to put more than 2 yrs into just getting started. Then more years of poor pay and working conditions. It's just what it takes to "pay your dues" for a job with lots of liability and probably less pay and benefits than others of your expertise. You don't work in aviation because you want to work and get ahead in life. You have to be willing to do whatever it takes to scratch your itch. The pinicle of reliable income and high income is very steep and many never get there.
If you ever take a flying job, or want one, many people will want you to wear both hats. A&P as well as pilot, but only pay you for the cheaper of the two, but totally expect you to put in double hours doing both. At one point I quit putting my A&P/IA on applications for pilot jobs, and quit putting my pilot qualifications on A&P apps. It can work and can be a great way to go. Often you have to take a few steps backward to start making forward progress. Nothing wrong with that. Just look out 10 or 20 yrs to where you want to be.
With your years of experience behind you, can you envision a govt retirement that might be marginal, and then hobby work your passion. Lots of freedom in having a govt nest egg, even if its only part of what you need to live on.

Where are you located now, and are you wanting to stay there?

I'm not an A&P, but I've been around aviation and aerospace, on both the civilian and DoD sides. Understood about wanting to stay hands-on in whatever you do, and the sometimes unstable nature of DoD contracts. Based on your background, it seems like you'd be "starting over" as an A&P. Some random thoughts:

- Ever thought about opening your own company? It's tough to get started, but there is always a lot of money sloshing around on the DoD side. If you can figure out how to get it as your own company (rather than pulling a W-2 wage from someone else), it can be lucrative. Easier said than done, I know.

- Viasat and GoGo are two satcom-related companies that come to mind (I'm sure there are more). There seems to be a lot of movement in the In Flight Entertainment (IFE) space for commercial aviation (airlines, biz jets, etc). You sound like a natural fit for a field service position, or something involved in service delivery, where you're able to avoid being stuck behind a desk.

- Speaking of being stuck behind a desk, and working with your hands, keep in mind that a large portion of the workforce has moved to Work From Home over the past couple years. Lots of companies are pulling people back, but many aren't. It's a crapshoot, but even if you have something that's desk-bound, you may be able to work from home, which makes the desk work a little more palatable.

Spend some time studying and get your GROL, as you will need it for certain avionics work.

I am on the "equipment supplier" side of SatComm(I'm the "RF guy" so amps, frequency converters, BUCs, LNA/Bs etc. are my babies). One of the bigger growth markets for us relates to SatComm terminals to go on the plane for IFE(and other) data links.

So look to people like ViaSat, GoGo(now owned by Intelsat) etc. as a possible way to leverage your knowledge.

Apologies for going MIA for a few days, I really appreciate your responses.

A couple of thoughts…
1. Choose one path or the other unless there’s a compelling need or advantage to both. The pro pilot career likely will be more lucrative in the long run if you’re willing to do what it takes in the early years.

2. Having the A&P and using it are two different things in my book. My state has a real good veteran’s education benefit that will allow me to do a community college A&P program tuition free. Doing that and then the work to get and maintain the IA is my entry ticket for sole ownership (partners currently with one also A&P/IA), otherwise I’ll just build an RV-10 and do my own condition inspections.

I'm definitely on board with everything you said. I'll start sniffing around for an A&P course. I've been told about the VA's vocational training programs so I'll have to research how/if I can use them being that my GI bill is already tied up in my flight training.

My love for both flying and maintaining are in close competition. I've always had a passion for turning wrenches(often considered going into automotive work), but not so much for making a living fixing peoples' run-down broken vehicles day in and day out. Yeah, aviation has its share of dirty work, but I strongly feel it'd be much more rewarding dealing with a problem plane rather than keeping rotted-out, neglected '03 Trailblazers on borrowed time.

Ideally, I suppose I'd love to start an A&P career to get at least baseline experience for a few years while I build my flying resume, and see where that lands me. Keeps my horizon wide while still being immersed in aviation, and lends the possibility of finding good side-work when flying hours are down. Not to mention, being legally allowed to work on my own plane will be a huge help when it comes to eventual ownership.

Where are you located now, and are you wanting to stay there?

I'm not an A&P, but I've been around aviation and aerospace, on both the civilian and DoD sides. Understood about wanting to stay hands-on in whatever you do, and the sometimes unstable nature of DoD contracts. Based on your background, it seems like you'd be "starting over" as an A&P. Some random thoughts:

- Ever thought about opening your own company? It's tough to get started, but there is always a lot of money sloshing around on the DoD side. If you can figure out how to get it as your own company (rather than pulling a W-2 wage from someone else), it can be lucrative. Easier said than done, I know.

- Viasat and GoGo are two satcom-related companies that come to mind (I'm sure there are more). There seems to be a lot of movement in the In Flight Entertainment (IFE) space for commercial aviation (airlines, biz jets, etc). You sound like a natural fit for a field service position, or something involved in service delivery, where you're able to avoid being stuck behind a desk.

- Speaking of being stuck behind a desk, and working with your hands, keep in mind that a large portion of the workforce has moved to Work From Home over the past couple years. Lots of companies are pulling people back, but many aren't. It's a crapshoot, but even if you have something that's desk-bound, you may be able to work from home, which makes the desk work a little more palatable.

Currently in Maine. Would be willing to consider moving for a really good opportunity, but barring that I'd prefer to stay here for a little while longer for personal reasons.

Opening my own company is something that's on the "maybe, eventually" list. Once I get some solid professional aviation experience, I'm open to the idea, but not something I'm actively working toward at the moment. I'm well aware I'd still be starting over, just trying to get as much of a running start as I can.

I'm glad that WFH works for a lot of people, but I'm not a huge fan of it myself. Especially for office work, I prefer clear boundaries between work life and home life. But that's just me.

IFE is another strong contender I haven't given enough thought to before. I'll certainly look into that as well.

I am on the "equipment supplier" side of SatComm(I'm the "RF guy" so amps, frequency converters, BUCs, LNA/Bs etc. are my babies). One of the bigger growth markets for us relates to SatComm terminals to go on the plane for IFE(and other) data links.

So look to people like ViaSat, GoGo(now owned by Intelsat) etc. as a possible way to leverage your knowledge.

Yep, that's me. I've always thrived better while elbow-deep in an HPA than I ever have behind a desk preparing ops briefs, powerpoints, etc. I'll take a spec anny and o-scope over MS Office and network admin anyday, lol. Like I said above, I'll start sniffing around in that field as well.

I started that career transition and went from A&P technician training through Avionics line maintenance certificate.
Before I started my training, I did some informational interviewing. For the most part, the shops don't want to hire anyone without an A&P license. I also found what the best school in the area was (the Hollister campus of Gavilan College in San Martin, CA). The closest had been the San Jose Airport campus of San Jose St. University, but I missed the beginning of the last class before they planned to shut the school down.

After I graduated from A&P school and got my certificates, I worked a couple months at a local FBO and studied for, and passed, my GROL test in preparation for attending Embrey-Riddle's Avionics Line Maintenance Certificate course. ERAU has A&P courses at both their Daytona, FL, and Prescott, AZ campuses, but only the Daytona campus has the Avionics course, which is about 3-1/2 months.

I ended up networking my way into an engineering job at Cessna, in Wichita, on my way back home after I got my avionics certificate, so I never did any avionics line maintenance.

When I worked at the FBO, in 2006, I made $15 an hour, and the IA made $25 an hour, in a toxic work environment. I'm sure pay has gone up since.

Back