Logging High Performance/Complex Time without an endorsement

You don't need endorsement to act as safety pilot, you need endorsements to act as PIC. You can be safety pilot without acting or logging PIC. My dad acts as safety pilot for me often and he doesn't have a complex or high performance endorsement, and so he doesn't log any PIC time.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

You know there was a flowchart that made all this easy, but since it was demonstrated that people had the inability to process something as simple as yes/no answers, I didn't see the point of keeping it linked.

It is a great flow chart, Ed. But with all due respect, if people don't know where to look for it . . .

In other words, you had to know to look in EdFred's signature line to find it. It's not like it was easy to find.

It is a great flow chart, Ed. But with all due respect, if people don't know where to look for it . . .

In other words, you had to know to look in EdFred's signature line to find it. It's not like it was easy to find.

Maybe if the MC made it a sticky...

It too bad the FAA made it so confusing. It seems like we have to have a thread on this every three months.

It's not confusing. Just read the regulations, and don't try and read anything into them. It is all called out quite explicitly. The problem is when people add words to the regulations that aren't there, or try and add their own spin on it. If you follow the regs words by word, and don't add anything else to them, it's pretty blatant.

It's not confusing. Just read the regulations, and don't try and read anything into them. It is all called out quite explicitly. The problem is when people add words to the regulations that aren't there, or try and add their own spin on it. If you follow the regs words by word, and don't add anything else to them, it's pretty blatant.

Absolutely.

maybe he should post more often....? :yikes::goofy: :lol::rofl::rofl:

I agree. So many people say that the regs are difficult to understand. To me they are not. It is just when you try to shoehorn a personal circumstance into the reg of your choice rather than accept the limitations of the appropriate reg does it become difficult.

OK, you've convinced me: there's no need for your flowchart.

It too bad the FAA made it so confusing. It seems like we have to have a thread on this every three months.
Confusion is often in the mind of the confused.

I completely understand that it takes a bit of thought and acceptance that "acting as" PIC (duly, authority, responsibility) is a completely different concept from "logging PIC flight time" (writing down while sitting at a desk with a beer after a flight). But once one manages to accept the FAA's choice to use the same word for two different concepts, it really shouldn't be that big a deal.

Aside from that, is it really a difficult concept that in order to act as PIC one must meet the qualifications for acting as PIC? And that, just like any other flight with two pilots, the pilots can decide whether the safety pilot or the flying pilot can be PIC (assuming both are qualified)?

Confusion is often in the mind of the confused.

I completely understand that it takes a bit of thought and acceptance that "acting as" PIC (duly, authority, responsibility) is a completely different concept from "logging PIC flight time" (writing down while sitting at a desk with a beer after a flight). But once one manages to accept the FAA's choice to use the same word for two different concepts, it really shouldn't be that big a deal.

If you're saying that people need to be smarter, you'll get no argument from me!

Aside from that, is it really a difficult concept that in order to act as PIC one must meet the qualifications for acting as PIC? And that, just like any other flight with two pilots, the pilots can decide whether the safety pilot or the flying pilot can be PIC (assuming both are qualified)?

I don't think they're difficult concepts; I think they're concepts that some portion of the pilot population hasn't been exposed to.

Adding an updated link to the "Herman Letter" referenced above. The previous link was invalid. I had the same question today. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Link to Herman Letter regarding "Logging" PIC vs "Acting as PIC"

Back