like a kick in the cojones

I found go arounds to be liberating. During PP training, I was thinking I'll never figure out landing. Once I saw how easy a go around was, it took all the pressure off of landings and I started to figure it out.

I need to start logging my go-arounds better. My logbook only accounts for 30 flights with go-arounds. That has to be in error. I'm sure I've forgotten to log a few.

If you're not going around here and there, are you only flying on CAVU days? Only doing long, straight approaches?

On my last flight, no go-around, but I tried something that I had to be ready for one...what if I turn base right at the approach end of the runway? Can I still land? Turns out I could...I was right on the marker. Actually...next time...I wonder if I could do a pattern entirely in the length of the runway? (Note, I was at SJC for that flight. I'm fairly certain I would have failed hard trying that at my home base, PAO, with only 2300'.)
You're supposed to log them?

"Conditions of Flight":
----------------------------
Night | Actual Instrument | Simulated Instrument | Abject Panic | Gastrointestinal Distress | Solo

waited 8 hours | didn't wait 8 hours | lasted longer than 4 hours | called a doctor |

plane in one piece | plane in multiple pieces

Not only did you get flying advice from Michael, he even admitted to making a mistake - this has to be a first!

I'm as human as the next guy and make lots of mistakes. I bought an airplane, didn't I?

I buy the logbook without a go around column.

It never occurred to me that you would log go arounds. My log book doesn't have that, my CFI's never mentioned logging those in all of my training. To be honest, I don't see me ever logging that. If I do a go around after touching down, it's just a touch and go landing.

It never occurred to me that you would log go arounds. My log book doesn't have that, my CFI's never mentioned logging those in all of my training. To be honest, I don't see me ever logging that. If I do a go around after touching down, it's just a touch and go landing.

I do believe he was joking.

You can't do a go around with passengers unless you've logged 3 go arounds in the last 90 days. If only they'd add a reg to prevent crashing unless you are current.

I'm as human as the next guy and make lots of mistakes. I bought an airplane, didn't I?

Wait, I thought pilots were better than humans? Not as super human as Duke owners, but close

My logbook doesn't have a column for "unintentional door opening in flight" but that doesn't stop me from logging those.

You can't do a go around with passengers unless you've logged 3 go arounds in the last 90 days. If only they'd add a reg to prevent crashing unless you are current.
They should also require currency for the unintentional door opening in flight. It freaks passengers out but I think they'd be more comfortable if I could tell them "Don't worry, that's happened to me three times in the past 90 days."

You're supposed to log them?

No, it's not required. But why wouldn't you log it? Click the checkbox, done.

I log whatever I remember from the flight. If I did a slip, I'll log it. Short approach? Log it. Practice a soft-field? Log it. I log who my passengers were. I log whatever I can quickly get in.

Maybe I'm alone, but I love having a record of where I've been and what I've done. I like being able to just query something like, how many go-arounds have you had in the last year? I can answer that question. Each one of those hours up in the air are expensive entertainment and if I can extend the enjoyment by occasionally flying the memories in my logbook, so much the better.

And, no, I would not want to hide my go-arounds. Pilots with go-arounds are like a mark that says that they're not having the same hour over and over again. These are going to be the better pilots. No go-arounds means you're not really extending yourself, at least on landings.

….Pilots with go-arounds are like a mark that says that they're not having the same hour over and over again. These are going to be the better pilots. No go-arounds means you're not really extending yourself, at least on landings.

sorry, but this is just bad information. not even information, just one person's fact-less based opinion.

sorry, but this is just bad information. not even information, just one person's fact-less based opinion.
Actually, I rather agree. If you're really pushing the envelope of your skill set you're going to do go arounds. First landing of my Mooney on a turf strip was a go around, for example.

waited 8 hours | didn't wait 8 hours | lasted longer than 4 hours | called a doctor |

Everything is getting more complicated these days. Dilemmas, dilemmas...
- wheel landing or 3-point it?
- steer clear of Seattle or live downtown (how's that for a go-around decision :eek:)?
- do you need to renew your passport to go to Seattle now; or just CHAZ?
- Defunded helicopters? Really? What, we're all drone people now?
- replace the GPS or wait (geez, I'm still paying for the last one)?
- train in a Cirrus to fly a Cirrus (or risk the stigma and shame of being seen and photographed in lesser airplane)?
- and what about 'dem right/left magnetos anyway?

This is a weird thread.
How can anything that teaches you something, and makes you a better pilot, be considered a kick in the cojones?
When you get to the airport, leave your ego in the car. It will be waiting for you when you get back.

This is a weird thread.
How can anything that teaches you something, and makes you a better pilot, be considered a kick in the cojones?
When you get to the airport, leave your ego in the car. It will be waiting for you when you get back.

Maybe he was just stating he would "like a kick in the cojones"? Some people are into that apparently?

When you make it a point to push the boundaries of your comfort zone (like @eman1200 does regularly). 2 things are inevitable. You get more better at this flying stuff, and there will be those days where your performance does not meet the high bar you normally set for yourself.

I was taking off one day in a C-425 when I hit a dust devil that I never saw. No dust, no tumbleweeds or anything in it. At about 25 feet off the pavement the plane suddenly yawed to the right. Just as quickly I applied left rudder to correct the yaw, but I had already gone through the dust devil so I ended up over correcting, then released pressure and straightened up, continuing the flight.

We get a LOT of these in my area, and when they're over pavement or develop over pavement, you'll never see them. I've hit two really nasty ones in the flare (one was a week ago). They'll turn you 45-70 degrees, then kick you out with a tailwind and massive sinker ... FULL power immediately or its going to get ugly. The flight reviews always have several go arounds built in and should be practiced ... my others were for AC pulling in front of me on short final and coyotes. Not fun after rotation like yours, but the landing flare is a lot more butt pucker ...

I had one this past Sunday. The plane ahead of me didn't clear the runway in time and the tower told me to go around. Later on the tower warned me that the NORDO plane ahead of me (yes, he obviously cleared it with the Class D tower in advance, I had to do a standard rate 360 for spacing) was stopped where the two runways cross and I might have to go around. I didn't as the NORDO plane finally got moving again and got off the active runway in time. I was already watching him. No problem either way and good practice.

I gave no flying advice, I gave landing advice. Mooneys don't bounce if you don't try and force them down. Come in at the right speed and you get a greaser every time.

Not sure that the right speed is even necessary in the old Piper Arrows. In all the years I flew the one we had in the club I never bounced a landing. Not once. Once the mains touched down that thing was finished flying. Now, the C-172 and C-182? I can bounce a landing with those with the best of them.

During my PP training, my instructor got out of the plane and told me to do three landings. The first one was ok. On the second, I ballooned the 172 on a gust and did a go around. Greased the third. My instructor (great guy) got back in the plane and was very happy and congratulatory. I thought he was talking about the third landing. Turns out he was more happy about the go around. He said it showed good judgment. That stuck with me and now, I never hesitate to go around if things just aren’t right.

Not sure that the right speed is even necessary in the old Piper Arrows. In all the years I flew the one we had in the club I never bounced a landing. Not once. Once the mains touched down that thing was finished flying. Now, the C-172 and C-182? I can bounce a landing with those with the best of them.
Ghery, I flew a Cherokee for a decade. I could bring it in at just about any speed and get a good landing. Mooneys are way more sensitive. Bring one in too fast and it'll float to the next state. Try and force it down and it'll bounce. Third bounce you get a prop strike.

Ghery, I flew a Cherokee for a decade. I could bring it in at just about any speed and get a good landing. Mooneys are way more sensitive. Bring one in too fast and it'll float to the next state. Try and force it down and it'll bounce. Third bounce you get a prop strike.
There’s only a third bounce if you try to force it down 3 times.

I don't even want to talk about my landings yesterday... Instructor had to take over on both of 'em.

He says sight picture depth perception will come back...

fly to the scene of the incident, or be recovered at the scene of the tragedy

I thought the point of the thread was that @eman1200 has cojones. And he likes to regularly push those cajones outside of their comfort zone.

Back