like a kick in the cojones

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
Does anyone else (who flies the same plane regularly) feel like sht after having to do a go around? I just had two landings in pretty gusty cross wind conditions, the first one was very good, the second was a double bouncer kidney buster where I had to go around. It’s killin me. I really just don’t have to do go arounds hardly ever. Fark.

The cute blonde at the brewery is kinda making me forget about it but it’s still aggravating me.

90-95 percent of my go-arounds in the last 5 years have been due to other pilots screwups (cut off in pattern, runway incursions, dilly-dalllying on runway).

Every once in a while I’ll botch a landing in the biplane and have to go around. I might get annoyed at myself, but don’t really feel like crap. Just goes with flying a tricky airplane infrequently.

I had a rash of bad landings recently when I moved my seat for a large passenger and forgot I’d done it. Changed my sight picture and I thought I’d forgot how to land. I didn’t even have to put the seat back once I realized it and adjusted mentally.

....It’s failing to go around when you should that becomes a problem.

I bounced on the right main and it fell off, then I bounced on the left main and it fell off, then I slammed the nose gear and it fell off, the I hit the prop and it fell off, then I went around. That seemed like the right time to go around. But what do I know!

Go arounds are for the weak and shouldn’t be done.

Does anyone else (who flies the same plane regularly) feel like sht after having to do a go around? I just had two landings in pretty gusty cross wind conditions, the first one was very good, the second was a double bouncer kidney buster where I had to go around. It’s killin me. I really just don’t have to do go arounds hardly ever. Fark.

The cute blonde at the brewery is kinda making me forget about it but it’s still aggravating me.

Maybe she's a thrill seeker. Take her for a ride

I have two go-arounds in my plane...they were on back-to-back flights on back-to-back days. One was for wind shear and one was ATC-Induced (well, they told me to follow someone and technically I did...just too close to give him room to get off the runway). I like to think as an air traffic controller I can make that judgement better than a lot of other pilots, but I’ve been in the TRACON for too long and my skills have deteriorated!

Read the POH and it will tell you how to land, no need for a go-around.

I figured you were used to it by now. First time I ever met you was a go around ;)

You should have seen my landing at GMU Saturday, I’m surprised Ryan didn’t ask if we’d been shot down. I fully expected it to bounce, but I came in at a low enough airspeed that the airplane said Fark, I ain’t flyin’ no mo.

I love go arounds, nothing like a well executed go around. Had to do one on my last flight, delta, controller told me to fly to the numbers, so I did, about a half mile away he tells me to follow a sky catcher. Didn't work.

I had to go around a couple of weeks ago, no big deal, except that my wife was with me... Let’s just say that she didn’t enjoy it.

This thread reminds me to practice some go around .... and on that note may be I should hand fly at times too

I was sitting in the hangar this afternoon after a flight. Clear day, pretty calm then all of a sudden this wicked wind came through rattling the doors and blowing stuff around probably 30 knot gusts and in 90 seconds it was gone. You can't see this stuff. On my way back from my flight I saw this dust devil only it was pretty darn big, about 2000 feet high and it was mostly stationary. I mean it looked like a freaking tornado but again, perfectly clear day, not a cloud in the sky.If it wasn't for the dust you wouldn't even know it was there - unless you flew into it.

I had a real bad one yesterday that caused a go around. Gust caught my wing. Shoulda had more aileron in. Still mad at myself but the plane is still in one piece.....as far as I know.

I had a lousy one the other day as well. Overshot base to final, finally got lined up and stabilized and I pull power too soon/ to much. Added power and then floated down the runway. If you had seen it you might have thought it was my send or third landing ever I think some days you got it and some days it probably better you get it down in one piece and safely put it away in the hangar and go have a beer.

Some times things add up. After a 3 hour cross country, add a little airspeed for the gusts in the crosswind to a new to you runway that has a downgrade with trees and breaks in the trees on the wind side that cause increased turbulence on touchdown, and you just float, float and can’t get the wheels down soon enough so you create a dance on the gear. Okay, go around now! Next time no flaps to keep rudder effectiveness and slightly higher stall speed with lower gust vulnerability. Great landing. I hoped no one was looking at that first try.

Had one two months back. Wife had never experienced one before. Crosswinds are one thing but stop and go gusts can make your look great, then bad in seconds. Good decisions beat bad decisions. A go around is very, very rarely a bad decision. The blonde could be good or bad.

My instructor for the PPL was very emphatic that there is no disgrace in doing go-arounds, and that I should feel free to do one if there was ever anything I didn't like. After one of my solo cross-countries, I let him know that I had done two go-arounds at one of the airports (because surrounding hills made it harder to get low enough in time), and he said "GOOD BOY!!!"

Last edited:
Had to do one on Saturday. We had crazy variable slightly gusty winds here on Saturday. I was coming into the airport where I keep my plane and there was a guy burning brush to the north and the smoke was indicating a crosswind slightly favoring runway 10. I entered the pattern and about midfield downwind the sock switched to favor 28 I continued in figuring it would switch again got about 30 feet off the runway and now I had a serious tailwind. Decided to give it the beans and get out of dodge. Was not my prettiest go around getting bounced all over by thermals it just felt sketchier than I would have liked. Came around and landed on 28 with basically a direct crosswind. I checked the AWOS again when I landed and it said winds variable between 350 and 60 gusting 14. By the time I had the plane in the hanger the windsock was limp. Go figure.

@eman1200, did you ever think it might just have been the ground repelling that paint job? :)

66b8decc6c0b2c91c22855f6f3748491.jpg

Last year on an IFR flight terminating with a visual approach, ATC waited too long to start me down and I was fast and high. Could have done a partial flap landing or just come in fast as there was 5500' of runway. Elected to go around and fly a stabilized approach, and as it turns out, the right main tire was flat. Keeping the plane out of the grass was challenging at normal touch down speed. Would have been in the grass and claimed some lights if the first approach was continued. That lowered my go-around threshold.

We, as pilots and potential mentors to new(er) pilots, need to work hard to elminate the stigma associated with a go-around. Too many of us see a go-around as a failure. Even some of the participants in this semi-anonymous discussion seem to find shame in having had to do a go-around.

Even after 19 years with a pilot license and multiple certifications, I still will not hesitate to go-around. Even that time in the Class B when I was cleard to LAHS of the crossing runway. The tower was ****ed, but you know what? The airplane did not get bent and I got another 0.3 of PIC time. :D

One landing where I should have gone around was at OAK, because when I turned final, the setting sun was shining in my eyes, making it difficult to see. The landing turned out OK, but I resolved to do things differently if I ever had that situation again.

Back