like a kick in the cojones

I felt that a go around meant that I failed until one day when I was training for my IFR and was returning to the airport after a great flight. There was a plane at the far end of the runway and while I thought I should go around, I didn't because I was just crossing the fence and I could see him turning on the taxiway. Once I touched down I saw my second issue. There was a flock of birds on the 500 foot markers that flushed as I touched down a couple hundred feet in front of them. I was already down so I didn't want to go around and possibly hit one in flight so I played slalom on the runway to avoid the 4 or 5 that were flying at cabin height.

I told the plane behind me to go around but he didn't and collapsed his gear trying to avoid the flock.

I should have gone around because the plane was still on the runway even though I could see he was turning off. Too many things could have happened to either of us that would have caused issues. The plane behind me should have gone around because I told him to due to the danger but he either thought I was smoking something in trying to tell him what to do or he thought he could deal with the birds. He never admitted to either but he trashed a plane that he didn't need to.

I received my certificate in Alaska and didn't appreciate the importance of the go around until later. I've had issues with ice on the runway, snow burms either killing a 20 knt crosswind or making a 10 knot crosswind more turbulent. I could handle all of that because I was lucky but now I won't land unless I'm in control and my approach is as I expect it to be. That doesn't mean a 10 mile final or anything but simply that regardless of what I do, it will meet the intent of the plan or I'll go around and set it up again.

You can always go around....

Does anyone else (who flies the same plane regularly) feel like sht after having to do a go around? I just had two landings in pretty gusty cross wind conditions, the first one was very good, the second was a double bouncer kidney buster where I had to go around. It’s killin me. I really just don’t have to do go arounds hardly ever. Fark.

The cute blonde at the brewery is kinda making me forget about it but it’s still aggravating me.

ohhh... you’re talking about flying. I thought you HAD to do a go-around of the cute blonde because she waved you off!

If I go around I'm usually so embarrassed that I fly to another airport until the tower shift change, then go back.

A go around is a lot less embarrassing than a hard landing and bending sheet metal....it shows good judgement....beer and blondes...well, that might prove dangerous as well :).

If I go around I'm usually so embarrassed that I fly to another airport until the tower shift change, then go back.

This pretty much sums up how I felt. I should’a done exactly this.

Does anyone else (who flies the same plane regularly) feel like sht after having to do a go around? I just had two landings in pretty gusty cross wind conditions, the first one was very good, the second was a double bouncer kidney buster where I had to go around. It’s killin me. I really just don’t have to do go arounds hardly ever. Fark.

The cute blonde at the brewery is kinda making me forget about it but it’s still aggravating me.

No. Because I fly in the wind and sometimes things just don't go as planned.

Example. This was 25 G 39 around 100 degrees. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N2221Y/history/20200606/1525Z/KLNK/KFSD

There were no airplanes on the ramp but the airport bums were coming out to watch. After the third go-around I determined the Y14 airport was unusable and got into KFSD first try.

Anyway the airflow over the runway was absolute garbage being trashed by the buildings upwind of the runway (Y14). KFSD is a lot wider open airport so the turbulence was less than half of the Y14 approaches I shot.

upload_2020-6-15_8-14-40.png

upload_2020-6-15_8-17-26.png

I can't tell if you guys are serious or not, but if so, that's a big flashing annunciator placarded "Hazardous attitude". I can't understand why you would be embarrassed by making a good decision and not having an issue.

It's not a go around. It's agile situation management, or you can call it a spontaneous touch and go. Either way, going around was the smart thing - so why would you feel bad about being smart?

I can't tell if you guys are serious or not, but if so, that's a big flashing annunciator placarded "Hazardous attitude".

Damn, so that was the light that was out when I hit the annunciator test button!

....Either way, going around was the smart thing - so why would you feel bad about being smart?

Being smart AND good looking sometimes puts a lot of pressure on you, ya know?

I feel bad about botching the landing and having to go around. No big deal, really. I just like to hold myself to high standards.

I seem to always go around at least once when I fly into BQ1. Other places, almost never. Well, then there is Ocracoke too...

Being smart AND good looking sometimes puts a lot of pressure on you, ya know?

I feel bad about botching the landing and having to go around. No big deal, really. I just like to hold myself to high standards.

You and I have the same problem - I can tell. We're both good looking / can't take a bad picture to save our lives. We just have to learn to live with it.

Did a go around today because of a mistake I made. The mistake bothered me, but not the go-around. Almost did another when I found my landing gear down but not locked. Got it locked in so I did a good landing.

Never ever hesitate to do a go around if anything looks hinky, if you feel you’re out of position, or if something doesn’t feel right. Every landing should start out a go around until favorable conditions for landing are assured. And don’t ever feel bad about it.

Eman, you didn’t go around, you avoided a prop strike. Try coming in at the correct speed, your landings will be more better.

holy sh$% I'm getting flying advice from steingar. it's even worse than I originally thought!

holy sh$% I'm getting flying advice from Steingar. it's even worse than I originally thought!
I gave no flying advice, I gave landing advice. Mooneys don't bounce if you don't try and force them down. Come in at the right speed and you get a greaser every time.

I've gone around for deer on the runway. I've gone around because a hill at night is invisible, and vasi guides you in. But that same hill in daylight is all kinda there in the way. I went around, corrected, and made a good landing.

I didn't go around once when I shoulda... Pirouetted down the 1st 1/8 of the runway... In a 172.

I didn't land at all at a "runway" that I swear was sidewalk width and paved.... Just a NOPE...

I was ashamed of the time I didn't go around. The others were good decisions.

fly to the scene of the incident, or be recovered at the scene of the tragedy

I gave no flying advice, I gave landing advice. Mooneys don't bounce if you don't try and force them down. Come in at the right speed and you get a greaser every time.

so landing isn't part of flying? do you not log the time you are landing in your log book? your comment is so laughable but then again almost all of your posts are. you weren't there, you don't know what happened. please stop attempting to give advice. to anyone, really.

I hate go arounds when I have a passenger with...especially another pilot.

I was sitting in the hangar this afternoon after a flight. Clear day, pretty calm then all of a sudden this wicked wind came through rattling the doors and blowing stuff around probably 30 knot gusts and in 90 seconds it was gone. You can't see this stuff. On my way back from my flight I saw this dust devil only it was pretty darn big, about 2000 feet high and it was mostly stationary. I mean it looked like a freaking tornado but again, perfectly clear day, not a cloud in the sky.If it wasn't for the dust you wouldn't even know it was there - unless you flew into it.

I was taking off one day in a C-425 when I hit a dust devil that I never saw. No dust, no tumbleweeds or anything in it. At about 25 feet off the pavement the plane suddenly yawed to the right. Just as quickly I applied left rudder to correct the yaw, but I had already gone through the dust devil so I ended up over correcting, then released pressure and straightened up, continuing the flight.

I did turn and glance at the medics and noticed that they were making hand motions indicating they thought I had been drinking....

I hate go arounds when I have a passenger with...especially another pilot.
The next time you feel that way, think about how you would feel if you had a bad outcome, or even an event that was too close for comfort, with a passenger or pilot along.

I think of it as an opportunity to show that I have good judgment, namely, that I'm responding appropriately to the situation of the outcome being in doubt.

so landing isn't part of flying? do you not log the time you are landing in your log book? your comment is so laughable but then again almost all of your posts are. you weren't there, you don't know what happened. please stop attempting to give advice. to anyone, really.
If you started bouncing its because the airplane came in too fast and you were trying to land before it was ready. You get two bounces, on the third you get a prop strike as a consolation prize. You don't have to be so negative, you did good. Like I said, you should never feel badly about a go around. If there's someone flying a Mooney who hasn't done the same exact thing it only means he or she hasn't been flying a Mooney for long.

If you are ever thinking about going around, remember that it’s better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Unrelated: Which hazardous attitude applies to using the wrong aphorism for the situation? Asking for a friend.

If you are ever thinking about going around, remember that it’s better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Unrelated: Which hazardous attitude applies to using the wrong aphorism for the situation? Asking for a friend.
:rofl:

I gave it three tries at a little fly-in, but couldn't get comfy, so went elsewhere. So did about 80% of the people going to the fly-in, it turned out. I never feel bad about a Mulligan.

I gave it three tries at a little fly-in, but couldn't get comfy, so went elsewhere. So did about 80% of the people going to the fly-in, it turned out. I never feel bad about a Mulligan.

speaking of @mulligan , where is he and what's the latest with his cirrus jet??? [/7500]

There was a POA event at a little strip in WV with some of the craziest winds I've encountered. Had Mrs. Steingar in the right seat. Told her after the go around that if I didn't make it in on the second try I'd go elsewhere. I got in, but I have to admit had that strip been any shorter than 3K feet I'd have gone off the runway. That was an event. The only other aircraft to fly in that time just about porpoised. Probably the toughest landing I've done.

holy sh$% I'm getting flying advice from steingar. it's even worse than I originally thought!
Not only did you get flying advice from Michael, he even admitted to making a mistake - this has to be a first!
Did a go around today because of a mistake I made.

Have had several...No. Every approach to landing is a go around until proven otherwise.

Once as a wet beamed the ears pilot and new to me 182 I bounced myself so hard and high I did't even think to try and recover it...around I went.

Never understood the apprehension to go arounds...nothing good could ever come from trying to force a botched approach or touchdown once you are no longer assured a solid landing.

I don’t think @eman1200 was suggesting he’d bend metal in an attempt to not go-around. I think he was merely saying that when it happens he’s a bit down on himself because at some point in the landing sequence he was human and made an error.

I’m by far the hardest critic of my own landings. A perfect 4 hour flight across 6+ states while dodging weather and shooting an approach will only be judged by me on how nice the touchdown was.

I thought most pilots were like me but maybe I’m on an island on this one. :)

Go-around that are needed = good thing to do. The feeling that I wish I’d have put the plane in a position the go-around wasn’t needed = always there. Always learning.

I've seen several "should have gone around" end up in bent / destroyed A/C and pilots going to the hospital.
Get your label maker out and make two labels to put on the instrument panel.
First label: "What Were You Thinking!"
Second label: "How is this going to look on the accident report?"

I've been in a few situations where I've landed safely but thought, "Hmmmm...I got away with it this time, but I probably should have taken it around."

For me, that feeling is always a bigger kick in the cojones than the slight shame felt in going around after a mistake on my part.

I need to start logging my go-arounds better. My logbook only accounts for 30 flights with go-arounds. That has to be in error. I'm sure I've forgotten to log a few.

If you're not going around here and there, are you only flying on CAVU days? Only doing long, straight approaches?

On my last flight, no go-around, but I tried something that I had to be ready for one...what if I turn base right at the approach end of the runway? Can I still land? Turns out I could...I was right on the marker. Actually...next time...I wonder if I could do a pattern entirely in the length of the runway? (Note, I was at SJC for that flight. I'm fairly certain I would have failed hard trying that at my home base, PAO, with only 2300'.)

Back