Lightspeed announcement 11/12

Not going wireless on anything safety communications related. No thanks.

Looks decent, be curious to see how it works out, I'm certainly interested. But, I won't be buying another headset until my original Zulu fails and is no longer repairable..and I don't see that happening any time soon.

Looks decent, be curious to see how it works out, I'm certainly interested. But, I won't be buying another headset until my original Zulu fails and is no longer repairable..and I don't see that happening any time soon.

I can't believe you are having luck flying open cockpit with that Zulu.

Neat product, if I needed a new headset I could see replacing the co-pilot side with this.... those are the wires that are always in the way when climbing in the plane. Non-issue on the pilot side.

Give us a PIREP when you can. The wireless idea is a good one and it'll be interesting to see if they can pull this off. Love my Zulu 2s and Sierras so hopefully these will be up to par for Lightspeeds.

Give us a PIREP when you can. The wireless idea is a good one and it'll be interesting to see if they can pull this off. Love my Zulu 2s and Sierras so hopefully these will be up to par for Lightspeeds.

Will do. They expect them to be here by Wednesday. I just took a flight and needed to borrow another headset and I got fed up with that so decided I needed a new, decent set. Then boom, these. I won't be the best to compare to say the a20s since I only demo'd those in the shop, but I'll do the best I can

Questions:

1. The Tango's rechargeable lithium - ion battery is charged...how? USB interface?

2. If it is USB (which seems to be the norm, nowadays), can I simply power the transmitter using my on-board USB charging ports?

Questions:

1. The Tango's rechargeable lithium - ion battery is charged...how? USB interface?

2. If it is USB (which seems to be the norm, nowadays), can I simply power the transmitter using my on-board USB charging ports?

2- yes.

1- see #2.

Questions:

In the latter part of the video when the lady has the goodies spread on the table, she held up a wall transformer with a USB port much like we have for tablets and phones. This charges the headset or control brick by USB cable with batteries still in those devices.

There was an extra accessory that appeared to be a wall charger that permitted charging of the battery outside of the device.

Feeding power from an onboard USB socket.... I don't see why not if the amperage out is what you need and the USB cable isn't trying to kill you.

In the latter part of the video when the lady has the goodies spread on the table, she held up a wall transformer with a USB port much like we have for tablets and phones. This charges the headset or control brick by USB cable with batteries still in those devices.

There was an extra accessory that appeared to be a wall charger that permitted charging of the battery outside of the device.

Feeding power from an onboard USB socket.... I don't see why not if the amperage out is what you need and the USB cable isn't trying to kill you.
Thanks. (The only thing that drives me nuts about Lightspeed is that they are TOTALLY anti-Android, to the point where their promo video can't even be played on an Android tablet!)

If I can keep everything juiced up in-flight using my built in USB charge ports, that removes my only reluctance with buying a wireless headset.

Thanks. (The only thing that drives me nuts about Lightspeed is that they are TOTALLY anti-Android, to the point where their promo video can't even be played on an Android tablet!)

If I can keep everything juiced up in-flight using my built in USB charge ports, that removes my only reluctance with buying a wireless headset.

I was told even if the batteries go kaput the only thing you lose is the ANR capability.

The ability to plug into your panels usb is great, but the draw for me is the WIRELESS feature, which powering by usb cable obviously negates that, but it's a good option to have.

The inflight need for this somehow escapes me. It's not like I'm going to get up and take a walk from the left seat of the Navion. Might be handy if I push my headset into double duty in my office or something.

The weight also kills it for me. That is pretty heavy.. Kinda like having a small brick on your head :)
I am curious to see when Bose will have something.

Eman; did you ask about cost of extra battery? And the wall charger?

I was told even if the batteries go kaput the only thing you lose is the ANR capability.

The ability to plug into your panels usb is great, but the draw for me is the WIRELESS feature, which powering by usb cable obviously negates that, but it's a good option to have.
I'm referring to the transmitter portion, not the headset itself. Keeping the transmitter side plugged into the USB charge port eliminates the worry of it dying.

Having the in-flight option to plug the headset itself into a USB charge cable would also be good, as it eliminates another "what if" problem.

And, finally, their back-up cable is good, too.

The whole thing sounds like what I've been waiting for since about 2000. I'm looking forward to hearing the PIREP.

Funny thing is my Cub has no electrical or radio. I wanted music while flying so I bought the Jaybird wireless Bluetooth earbuds. They were cool the day I got them and the first flight. After thinking about it and having to deal with them being larger, heavier and having to charge they were not cool anymore. I sent them back for a refund and got the $14 Wal-Mart Sony earbuds. I love them.... Small, lightweight and no charging to deal with.

I don't see the draw either. Ive been flying on DClamps for years just fine, Ill eventually upgrade to Zulu2s I just don't fly enough to justify or have the money for them. But I don't see the point in wireless, once Im in the plane they don't ever need to come off and Ive never felt restricted by the cord (most of the time I run the cords down my shirt so they aren't in the way).

And the last thing I need is to remember to charge another thing.

For the record, they r the same price as the Z2's right now plus free shipping.

Also, I've had some practice at, and have gotten pretty good at "plugging things in", so I don't see that being a burden, but I guess we'll see.

Bahahahahaha, wireless is the announcement!! Hahaha

If any if you buy those, I will laugh harder than those of you who bought the PFX's

When wireless is ready, the real headset makers, i.e. me, will release ours. However, its not time yet I assure you.
Lightspeed always trying to jump the gun... Sigh

edit: Let me add one note. Lightspeed makes a good headset, they really do. We've all had our wireless headsets ready to go for several years now, but the technology is not ready.
It sucks that a company makes the consumer "pay their way" instead of earning it. That's why they stay on the outs with their piers in the business. I was hoping they'd grown up a bit as-of-late. I guess I was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've got wireless streaming on my hearing aid that cost 3 times my Zulu 2 headset and frankly the audio quality of wireless just sucks. I've never personally experienced a wireless interface that sounded as good as a wired one.

Regards,

Skeptical

I'm not following "we have had the wireless headsets ready but the tech isn't ready"

We asked before that you don't confuse the Aggies. WI have Aniyah trouble with round rooms no the pressing need to relieve ourselves in the corner.

Don't you need the tech to exist before you can successfully create the prototype or production model?

Right, Bluetooth/IoT/NFC/RF all exist already. They have for more than a decade. The "tech" isn't ready yet. It's not fat enough. Just like any audio compression, the pipe is still too small.

edit: wow if that's not calling for a "that's what she said", I don't know what is!

Last edited:
Aww...Shane...want some cheese to go with that whine?

OH there's no wine needed. I'm made in the shade here. 2 failures in a row makes my market share just keep on climbing. It just sucks for the person trying to resell them, which are people I care about.

OH there's no wine needed. I'm made in the shade here. 2 failures in a row makes my market share just keep on climbing. It just sucks for the person trying to resell them, which are people I care about.

Do you have a shop at the airport Shane? I need to drop by and check you out one day.

Right, Bluetooth/IoT/NFC/RF all exist already. They have for more than a decade. The "tech" isn't ready yet. It's not fat enough. Just like any audio compression, the pipe is still too small.

edit: wow if that's not calling for a "that's what she said", I don't know what is!

Care to back up that claim with anything other than a biased opinion?

Still haven't seen the video, have you? No digging around necessary.

Saw that it was some retarded retractable thing that is done with tiny 1/8" phono connector and cable that'll be busted in about a week. Or similar.

Because it's way better to remove two decent sized and configured cables that run a couple of feet and replace it with a cable made for a pair of $10 earbuds as the backup plan for a dead battery. Haha.

I really enjoy it when those cables fall apart on cheap headphones I can throw away for no real loss. Should be spiffy when one has to ship something away to get that fixed on an almost $1K item.

Know how often the cables on my DCs have broken in 23 years? Yeah. None. And not going to for another 23 at least, probably. And they aren't handled gingerly. Not by a long shot.

They're a joke right? Is it April 1?

Which part of "no thanks" was hard to understand? Ugh.

What's the deal with Zulus in the open cockpit? Anytime I've ever flown open cockpit mine worked great. Also have an original set of Sierras that haven't had a single thing pop off of them. I'll take a lightspeed over a bose any day, never used the pfx thought.

What's the deal with Zulus in the open cockpit? Anytime I've ever flown open cockpit mine worked great. Also have an original set of Sierras that haven't had a single thing pop off of them. I'll take a lightspeed over a bose any day, never used the pfx thought.

Usually any anr sucks for open cockpit. You can go on the biplane forum and research that. Everyone uses passive, Clarity aloft or Halo.

Bahahahahaha, wireless is the announcement!! Hahaha

If any if you buy those, I will laugh harder than those of you who bought the PFX's...

well I bought it and since it makes you laugh that hard, why don't you laugh about the fact that you just publicly and permanently lost a customer. and the customer you just lost will also make sure he does his best to talk anyone out of purchasing anything from you ever again. how's that for a laugh?

I could see these as being useful for rear seat passengers in some planes. The Jacks in the back of the arrow are both on one side, making it slightly awkward to run the headset cable.
And as mentioned for the co-pilot seat in a low wing single door.

What would be really cool is if you could get the control pack to be panel powered (kind of like what bose offers) and they could just stay in the plane while you charge the headset at home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You know, when you use the strategy of sh*tting all over threads about your competitors, you make many of us far less likely to buy from you. Not more likely. I especially loved your first post and how you whined that Lighspeed wouldn't sell you parts. Really? You find it surprising that a company doesn't want to set up a competitor as a preferred customer? Interesting.

I thought you had learned to not slam your competition since you hadn't played that game recently but, considering your posts in this thread, apparently not.

Vendors need to understand that they succeed by selling the quality of their product, not talking smack about their competitors. E.I. needs to learn this also. They're constantly badmouthing JPI's customer service (which indeed sucks) when you talk with them. Even though they speak the truth, it makes them look like whiney cry babies. They have an excellent product and customer service and that's what they should be hanging their hat on.

Back