Let’s make Wednesday 'recipe' day!

Well, we need to get this thread going again then! I've been here about 3 months and didn't know about it until today! :idea: Although I dunno Shane... that recipe for the brussel sprouts with the apricot and pistachios... :confused: That just doesn't even sound good. I'll have to find a good recipe to post next Wednesday to keep this thread going. So, FRIDAYS are joke day, WEDNESDAYS are recipe day... what about the other days of the week?? I'll need to put this information into my phone so it will alarm with the appropriate subject each morning if there are many more topics with a special PoA posting day! :)

So, FRIDAYS are joke day, WEDNESDAYS are recipe day... what about the other days of the week?? I'll need to put this information into my phone so it will alarm with the appropriate subject each morning if there are many more topics with a special PoA posting day! :)

Here at POA, any day can be wednesday, especially if the recipe is good!!:cheerswine:

Barb

Wow, four months and no new recipes.

How often do ya'll cook, anyway?

OK - What I made for dinner last night:

1 chicken, about 4 lbs
about 7-8 small red potatoes
1 yellow onion
baby carrots
3-4 Tbs melted butter
salt/pepper/thyme/rosemary

400 deg oven

-

Halve or quarter the potatoes, quarter or 1/8 the onion, dump it in a 9x13 roasting pan. Toss in as many baby carrots as you want. Stir with half the melted butter, salt/pepper/thyme. Spread out to the edges of the pan, leave a space in the center for the chicken.

Remove the giblets, wash/dry the chicken. Salt/Pepper/rosemary the cavity, tie the legs, tuck the wings under, and set it in the middle of the pan surrounded by the vegetables. Baste with remaining melted butter, top with salt & pepper if you want.

Roast at 400 for 45 min. Empty the juice from inside the chicken by pouring over the veggies, stir the veggies, put chicken back in pan. Baste chicken with the juices. Roast for another 20-30 min.

Make a pan gravy with all the drippings in the bottom of the pan, if you want. Let the chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving.

Makes a nice dinner for 2 on a cold night.

i just cut up two honey crisp apples into 8ths and laid them in the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish. Then i rubbed 6 skinless boneless pork chops with nutmeg and pepper and "browned" them in a pan and then put them on top of the apples. they are in the oven right now at 350 for 30 minutes.

turned out really good. the last time i made something like this we used granny smith apples and followed a recipe which called for some apple cider in the baking dish to start with and adding cream later. bake for about 50 minutes total. that ended up being slightly overcooked pork chops on applesauce. so this time i used the honey crisps and didn't put any liquid in the pan. end result the apples were still crisp (and warm) and the pork was juicy, although next time I'll probably cook it for 40 minutes.

i found the original recipe (with apple cider and cream) in a hometown recipe book. It was called "Pork Chops Normandy"

Tonight was pretty simple, food-wise - Frito Pie. I used some leftovers of a batch of chili I had previously made (with the recipe previously posted in this thread!), and ate it with Fritos Scoops and some shredded cheddar. Quick and easy.

But, I didn't think I'd be flying in the next 8 hours, so I made some of one of my favorite winter beverages:

Hot Buttered Rum

Melt 2 sticks of butter
Stir in:
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves

Add 1 pound of brown sugar, mix into the butter mixture.

After the butter sets a bit, take one nice big spoonful of the batter and put it in a mug, add 2-3 shots of dark Jamaican rum, and fill the mug the rest of the way (about the top half) with HOT water. Stir until the batter is melted/dissolved, and enjoy. Mmmmm. :)

Took some baked beans (Four Bean Casserole) to a holiday party yesterday.

Brown together in skillet and don't drain fat:

• 1/2 lb bacon, diced
  • 1 large onion, chopped

Drain in a large colander (15 oz can of each):

• Butter beans
  • Lima beans
  • Kidney beans
  • Pork & beans
Mix together in large bowl:

• 1/2 c. blackstrap molasses (I use "robust" if I can't find blackstrap, but cut down a bit on the sugar)
  • 3/4 c. brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 c. ketchup (no hot dogs involved! :)) -or- chili sauce -or- BBQ sauce
  • 1/4 c. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. dry mustard
Pour a little bacon grease into the bottom of a 2 - 3 qt. casserole dish. Combine beans with bacon, onion, and remaining fat. Add sauce mixture. Pour into casserole dish. Cover and bake at 325*F for 1 1/2 hr. Serves 12.

Got this recipe from my cousin in Oshkosh.

Last edited:
Low-Carb Beef and Vegetable Soup

I'm back on the "Mattkins" diet (like the Atkins diet, but with some refinements by my brother Matt), so I've been cooking low-carb again. Lost six pounds so far, by the way.

Yesterday I decided I wanted soup. But if you want low-carb soup, you have to make your own. And because I'd just parked the car and locked the gate, I decided I would have to make it with whatever I already had in the house. The result was actually very good.

Here's the recipe, reverse-engineered because it was kind of a spontaneous endeavor:

Ingredients

• Ground beef
  • Beef jerky (A few pieces per pound of ground beef, chopped up in a food processor)
  • Salt, pepper, garlic powder, hot sauce, and paprika to taste
  • A little olive oil
  • A handful of mixed vegetables (not too much!). I used frozen. They were fine.
  • A little red or white wine (your choice)
  • A little bit of grated cheese
Directions

1. Dump the ground beef, beef jerky, spices, hot sauce, and olive oil into a pot and kind of spread it out so it's level. Add enough water to raise the level in the pot to about three times that of the meat mixture.
  2. Bring to a boil using medium heat, constantly stirring and breaking up the meat to keep it crumbly.
  3. Once the beef is out of danger of becoming a burger, lower the heat, add a splash of wine, and let it simmer.
  4. Go take a shower, do a couple of T&G's, or otherwise occupy yourself whilst the water reduces and becomes soup.
  5. When the mixture has become soup, throw the vegetables in. Wait until they thaw and/or heat up. (I like them somewhat crunchy, which is why I waited until this late stage.)
  6. When the soup is done (the water tastes like soup instead of water), add the grated cheese and stir it a bit.
Serve hot.

Authentic Southern Cornbread

Southerners don't measure when we cook so all attempts to include measurements or dimensions in this recipe are for the benefit of yankees.

Place a large glop of Crisco in a seasoned 9" iron skillet and put it in a cold oven. You want enough Crisco so that the skillet it awash in it when hot.

Set the oven on 475 F and let it heat while you prepare the ingredients.

Wait until the oven is at temp and then - In a mixing bowl, mix a heapin' cup of self rising white corn meal, a quarter cup of white flour, and a big handful of cracklins.

Pour in buttermilk until the mixture is a gloopy wet consistency that will pour from the bowl into the hot skillet.

So you're going to take that 475 degree skillet out of the oven and pour in the mixture which will immediately fry the crust of the cornbread. It's fine, and desirable for the Crisco to jump up on top of the bread when you're pouring it in.

Put it back in the hot oven until just starts to turn a little brown on top. This will take about 16 - 17 minutes.

Remove to a bread cutting box and immediately cut and enjoy. If you place it on a plate or flat surface, put a knife under it to keep it from sweating.

You can make it without the cracklins and for you yankees on here, you can put a quarter cup of brown sugar in it to make it more like the muffins you people call cornbread and it'll still be the best tastin' bread you ever put in your mouth.

I don't really have anything to contribute here.

I'm pretty sure it's the stuff arterial plaque is made of... :D My cornbread recipe is good for at least a 20 point jump in your cholesterol number.

And for me a 20lb weight loss in about 15 minutes.

turned out really good. the last time i made something like this we used granny smith apples and followed a recipe which called for some apple cider in the baking dish to start with and adding cream later. bake for about 50 minutes total. that ended up being slightly overcooked pork chops on applesauce. so this time i used the honey crisps and didn't put any liquid in the pan. end result the apples were still crisp (and warm) and the pork was juicy, although next time I'll probably cook it for 40 minutes.

made chops again last night. this time sprinkled some cinammon on the honeycrisp apples before putting the chops in and baking 40 minutes at 350. turned out really good!

made chops again last night. this time sprinkled some cinammon on the honeycrisp apples before putting the chops in and baking 40 minutes at 350. turned out really good!
Sounds good. Cinnamon often works well with meat. A lot of stews in Asia and Africa use cinnamon as an ingredient.

between the cinnamon on the apples and nutmeg on the chops it is tasty stuff. i guess i didn't use any pepper this time around.

De-crocked my latest batch of pickles for the New Year. Mmmm, are they good, and very few calories. Loads of salt (and garlic, and dill...), but I don't suffer sodium-dependent hypertension, and neither does anyone in my family.

chunked about 30 lbs of salmon (silver and king) thru the smoker over the weekend. My youngest son was on a mission trip this summer to Alaska and the group brought home 40 lbs of salmon, that they saved for a mini-reunion last night. The non-smoked fillets were baked and chunked up into a salmon salad spread that was killer. The leader got that recipe from one of the ladies of the village via facebook - he said "cracks me up that the whole village is on facebook, but sure is cool staying in touch with them".

the salmon spread

bake as many fillets as you want until flaky (I think Kurt had 10 lbs in the ovens)
chunk up into a BIG Eskimo/Inuit bowl
chop up and add as many onions as you can stand
add mayo to taste and texture
refrigerate overnight
spread on Pilot Bread and be amazed that you NEVER had anything this good in your life

...and my smoked salmon was pretty darn good, too
brine in a 2 to 1 ratio of dark brown sugar and kosher salt overnight
1/2 smoked over fruitwood mix (apple, peach, pear)
other 1/2 smoked over pecan - salmon traditionally uses alder, but I used the wood I had

considering our highs were in the teens all weekend, I was pretty glad the smoke turned out ok

CHICKEN, PEPPERS & ONIONS

I've been making Sausage, Peppers & Onions, and Veal, Peppers & Onions, ever since I was big enough to reach the stove. But never before have I made Chicken, Peppers & Onions. Turns out it's delicious. I wonder why it's not more popular.

Here's what I did:

Ingredients:

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Bell peppers
Onions
Celery (optional)
Garlic (not optional)
Tomatoes or tomato juice
Italian seasonings (parsely, oregano, rosemary, etc.)
Salt & pepper
Cheap red wine
Olive Oil
Romano cheese, grated

Directions:

Put a little bit of olive oil in the bottom of a pot. Why? No idea. I'm Italian, and we like olive oil in everything.

Dump a can of crushed tomatoes in the pot, and then fill the can with water and dump that in there, as well. Alternatively, you can use tomato juice and not dilute it at all. Add the salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, garlic, and cheap red wine, and slowly let it come to a boil, then turn it down to medium-low heat.

While the tomato mixture is coming to a boil, cut the chicken breast into smallish pieces -- not more then 3/8 inch thick, as it will be cooking in the pot. When all the chicken is cut up, brown it just a bit, and then add it to the tomato mix.

Next, cut up the onions, and throw them in.

Cut up the peppers a little later, and throw them in, too.

If you want celery, cut that up and throw it in, as well.

Let it cook on medium-low heat for an hour or so, adjusting the heat to make sure it's just barely boiling (to fully cook the chicken); then add the grated Romano cheese. (If you're a wimp, you can substitute Parmesan cheese.)

Enjoy!

-Rich

Attachments

• cpo.jpg
    cpo.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Chicket cutlet with orange caper sauce

Ingredients:

2 skinless/boneless chicken breasts
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tblsp capers
3 tblsp unsalted butter
1 tspn sweet basil
1 orange
1 egg
1 tspn flour

salt and pepper to taste

----------

Breadcrumbs:

You can buy already prepared breadcrumbs but I like making my own. To do that I take some old stale bread, normally a French baguette, and grind it up in a food processor. I ad a little bit of pepper and salt to the breadcrumbs and keep it in a freezer bag in the freezer until I need it.

Take one cup of the breadcrumbs add the sweet basil and mix.

----------

Take each of the chicken breast and pound flat using a rolling pin. You want the chicken to be about 1/4" thick when done.

Rinse and dry the cutlet. Coat in an egg wash and then dip into breadcrumb mixture. Lay flat in a hot skillet. Cook on each side until browned and cooked through.

----------
Orange Caper Sauce;

Juice one orange, remove any large chunks of pulp. Heat in a sauce pan until boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and slowly add the butter, incorporating it with a whisk. Once the butter is all melted and combined add the teaspoon of flour. Whisk until sauce is smooth and thick. Add capers and remove from the heat.

Serve by placing the chicken cutlet on the plate. I like mine on top of pasta and then spoon the sauce on top. Serve with the vegetable of your choice.

I made some good chicken the other night. Three skinless boneless chicken breast. I've been getting "Smart Chicken" from our grocery store which is apparently some hippy organic raised chicken. it tastes really good though which is good because its expensive. Made a glaze with 1/3 cup of honey, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon plus 1.5 teaspoons of soy sauce. mixed that all up really good. brushed 1/3 of the glaze on the chicken, laying in a 11x7 baking dish and then baked at 375 uncovered for 15 minutes. then brushed the rest on and baked another 15 minutes. I served with some rice a roni. It was yummy!

Gumbo Ya-Ya (chicken and sausage)
ingredients

2-3 small -med onions, fine chopped
4 ribs of celery , fine chopped
2 bell peppers, fine chopped
2 bunches of green onion (garnish)
1 cup cooked rice or French bread
1 rotisserie chicken or 1lb of shredded chicken
1lb of sausage, 1/2 chopped 1/2 sliced. (Andouille, or any smoked pork sausage)
48oz low-sodium chicken broth+ cup or more of cold water
3-4 bay leaves
3 tbsp of cajun seasoning
2 tbsp tabasco sauce
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup flour

Start by making the Roux. The Roux is the most important part of Gumbo,

1.Start by heating the oil in a large pot on med-high heat and adding flour once hot.

2.Using a whisk stir the flour until a smooth mixture is made, you must stir for 15-25 minutes depending on the level of heat you use.(the hotter, the faster..but also easier to mess up!)
Do not let the mixture burn, keep stirring and add just a little oil to the mixture if needed to maintain a smooth consistency.
During stirring, the Roux will go through 4 stages of color, Blonde, Peanut Butter, Brick , and Chocolate. You must stir your Roux until it looks like dark chocolate sauce.

3. Add all veggies ,and sautee for 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally, the mixture will become thick.

4 Add all meat, broth, bay leaves , cajun seasoning, a little water may also be added to the broth if desired.

5. Bring to boil for at least 3 minutes, the Roux will go to work and thicken the gumbo.

6 Simmer on med heat for about 45 minutes to an hour, removing the lid for the last 30 min to thicken, some skimming may be needed (foam)

Serve over rice or French bread, garnish with green onions, and enjoy with a cold beer!

-Clay

Made this tonight. It is from Molly Katzen's Moosewood cookbook and it was AWESOME!

Old Country Pie

serves 4

1 unbaked 9- or 10-inch pie crust
1 Tbsp. butter or oil
1 1/2 cups minced onion
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. mushroom, chopped or sliced
1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
1 medium stalk broccoli, chopped
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
2 tsp. dill
lots of black pepper
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 cup cottage cheese (lowfat ok)
2 eggs
2 medium scallions, finely minced
optional: 3/4 cup sour cream or yogurt; paprika

1) Prepare pie crust. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Melt butter (or heat oil) in a medium-sized skillet. Add onion, caraway, and salt, and saute over medium heat until the onions begin to brown (10 to 15 minutes).
3) Add mushrooms, cabbage, broccoli, carrot, and dill, and saute until everything is just tender- about 8 more minutes.
4) Stir in black pepper, garlic, and flour, and cook, stirring, for just a few minutes more. Remove from heat.
5) Beat together cottage cheese and eggs. Add this to the saute along with the scallions and mix well.
6) Spread into the unbaked crust and, if desired, top with a layer of sour cream or yogurt. Sprinkle with paprika, and bake for 40 minutes or until set. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.

We have that book. I'll have to look that one up and give it a try.
Do! It was really quite a rich dish. Instead of the sour cream I did use Greek Yogurt which made it a bit healthier. The egg and cottage cheese along with the flour made the pit almost gravy like. The flavors were very strong too. This did not taste like a vegi wrap, more like a vegi-pot-pie.

I made sausage, peppers and onions last night, Italian style. Except instead of tomato paste / sauce / puree or whatever other tomato product was available, I used a big can of V8 juice.

The result was actually pretty delightful. The subtle flavors of the V8 were very interesting, and added an air of mystique to something I've been eating since childhood.

-Rich

I made a very yummy beer cheese soup last night - Here's what I came up with, based on combining several recipes:

Kent's Beer Cheese Soup

1 1/2 to 2 sticks butter
1/2 to 1 lb of bacon
1 1/2 cup diced celery
1 1/2 cup diced carrots
1 1/2 cup diced onion
58-64 oz chicken broth (4 14.5-oz cans or 2 32-oz cartons)
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp prepared Dijon-style mustard. I used Brennan's Amber Beer Mustard.
1 1/2 lbs of your favorite cheese(s), shredded. I used Cheddar, Parmesan (freshly shredded, not the kind you get in a container), and Brennan's Irish Beer Cheddar.
2 (12 fluid ounce) cans or bottles beer (I used Leinie's Classic Amber)

1. Cook bacon over medium-high heat in a skillet until crispy. Drain on a plate lined with paper towel. Pour liquid bacon grease into large pot. Crumble bacon.
2. In the large pot, over medium heat, add butter to bacon grease. Cook celery, carrots, and onion in butter until onion is translucent, 5-10 minutes. Add mustard.
3. Puree vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender, adding some of the chicken broth if needed to thin out the liquid for easier blending. Return to pot over medium heat. Pour in remainder of chicken broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Pour some beer into the flour and mix, adding more beer as you mix, until flour is dissolved in beer (this will take about a bottle). Add beer/flour mixture and remainder of beer to the pot.
5. Stir a little cheese at a time into the pot until fully incorporated and melted.
6. Enjoy!

I made a very yummy beer cheese soup last night - Here's what I came up with, based on combining several recipes:

Kent's Beer Cheese Soup

1 1/2 to 2 sticks butter
1/2 to 1 lb of bacon
1 1/2 cup diced celery
1 1/2 cup diced carrots
1 1/2 cup diced onion
58-64 oz chicken broth (4 14.5-oz cans or 2 32-oz cartons)
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp prepared Dijon-style mustard. I used Brennan's Amber Beer Mustard.
1 1/2 lbs of your favorite cheese(s), shredded. I used Cheddar, Parmesan (freshly shredded, not the kind you get in a container), and Brennan's Irish Beer Cheddar.
2 (12 fluid ounce) cans or bottles beer (I used Leinie's Classic Amber)

1. Cook bacon over medium-high heat in a skillet until crispy. Drain on a plate lined with paper towel. Pour liquid bacon grease into large pot. Crumble bacon.
2. In the large pot, over medium heat, add butter to bacon grease. Cook celery, carrots, and onion in butter until onion is translucent, 5-10 minutes. Add mustard.
3. Puree vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender, adding some of the chicken broth if needed to thin out the liquid for easier blending. Return to pot over medium heat. Pour in remainder of chicken broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Pour some beer into the flour and mix, adding more beer as you mix, until flour is dissolved in beer (this will take about a bottle). Add beer/flour mixture and remainder of beer to the pot.
5. Stir a little cheese at a time into the pot until fully incorporated and melted.
6. Enjoy!
Oooh, that sounds as good as that 4 bean baked bean recipe I have that uses a half pound of bacon! I've made that for AirVenture or Gastons, haven't I?

Bump!

I just made this Cucumber Salad recipe tonight. Ironically, I couldn't find it on my computer at all, and there are too many to find the right one via Google if this particular one is even online anywhere (It's one that my mom has had since long before the Internet). So I searched PoA for this thread. It wasn't here (so I'm posting it below) but I did find it in this thread! Haha!

Cucumber salad:
Thinly slice 1 cucumber. Lay out the slices, and sprinkle with salt. (I do this in a big bowl, and put in a layer, then salt, another layer, salt, etc.) You're basically trying to get the water out of the cucumber to keep the sauce from being too runny. After the cuke slices sit with the salt for 10 minutes or so, drain it all out.
While you're waiting for the cucumbers to sweat, chop up about 1/8th to 1/4 of an onion.
Mix 1/2 cup sour cream, a bit of pepper, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar (I like using red wine vinegar). Add to the cucumbers and onions. Mix, and enjoy.

Back