Let’s make Wednesday 'recipe' day!

mmmm - think I found a weekend project. Bring on the NFL and college basketball!

Back to the hot dogs - when I was about 8 or so I had to learn how to cook. Mainly because mom wouldn't fix what I wanted, so I had to do it myself. She always had to fix that healthy stuff.

One of the things I did was slice a hotdog end to end, but not all the way through. Just enough to butterfly it, then fry it until it was just a little charred, then put some cheese on top and melt it in. Put that on a bun with some mustard and relish and I was in kid heaven.

When I was a little kid, I took a power cord from an old lamp, soldered a nail to each lead, stuck the nails into the ends of a hot dog, and plugged it in. Yes, the hot dog cooked, but not very evenly.

Between my electrical "experiments" and my chemistry kit, it's amazing that I survived until puberty.

-Rich

heh - does anybody even make chemistry kits anymore? I guess now they just call them "meth labs".

troy - is that supposed to be a recipe for trouble? I think you went to the wrong thread? :)

troy - is that supposed to be a recipe for trouble? I think you went to the wrong thread? :)

Wow, I searched for "joke friday", opened the Joke Friday thread, and posted a reply. How it ended up here, I have no idea. Will repost over there.

P.S.--Witty reply!

P.P.S.--I see what happened; if you search for joke friday the first thing that comes up in the results is the recipe thread, then the joke thread. That makes a lot of sense, huh?

Last edited:
Swedish Pancakes, made by a Norwegian/German - true Euro détente

6 large eggs
4 cups milk
2 1/2 cups of flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt (or less)
2 Tbsp. oil
~1 tsp vanilla

Put flour in to bowl with a slotted spoon (or use a flour sifter)
Slowly add the milk and flour
add sugar, salt and oil
Mix the eggs in a separate bowl.. then add to the batter
mix them together well but gently - avoid bubbles

Pour 1/2 cup of batter into a hot griddle. (put a small amount of oil
on griddle) tilt the pan around to make a thin pancake
bake until slightly brown on both sides (or less) - like a crêpe

fill with jam, compote or butter and syrup, garnish with powdered sugar.

i cooked out of a recipe book for the first time in a long time the other night. Leah and i had company coming over so we busted out the Joy of Cooking cookbook that we got for our wedding (along with many other cookbooks). Decided to make baked macaroni and cheese. I had to make a cheese sauce which i dont think i've ever done but it went something like this:

4 tablespoons of butter, melt.
flour, can't remember how much
whip that up and heat to "simmer"
slowly whip in 2 cups of milk, continue to simmer and whip
boil macaroni while you're doing this

eventually add in a bay leaf, pepper, nutmeg, and some other spices in the sauce, i suppose whatever you would like is fine. it will start to thicken a bit, add in 2/3 of a block of cheese, we used colby i think. I had cut it into little strips so it melted in pretty fast.

with macaroni boiled and drained mix together the sauce and macaroni. then pour about half of that into the baking dish. I used a 2 quart pan, 9 inch square maybe? slice the rest of the cheese on top of that first layer, then the rest of the macaroni/sauce and then sprinkle bread crumbs over the top and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so until breadcrumbs are golden brown. it was yummy!

Rum Balls

These are copied from Diana's thread so I can find them after buying bottles of rum and burbon.

I make Double Chocolate/Cherry Bourbon Balls. Though I never tried, I don't see why you couldn't substitute your favorite liquor.

1 6oz package of Chocolate Chips
3 T Corn Syrup
1/2 c Bourbon or 1/4 c plus 1/4 ginger ale
1 8 1/2 oz package of chocolate wafers, crushed
1/2 c Confectioners suger
1 c finely chopped nuts
1/4 finely chopped candied cherries

granulated sugar
powered chocolate

Melt chips in a double boiler (or microwave on high in 25 sec increments - ask how I know). Remove from heat, add corn syrup and bourbon. In another bowl, mix wafer, nuts, confectioners sugar, and cherries. Add chocolate mix and blend well. Refrigerate 1 hour. Roll into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar or chocolate or both.

As I read the recipe, I can note that I use maraschino cherries and also add some cherry juice to the mix.

Here is a combination of two recipes that I used yesterday. I think next time I'll use less ginger or maybe leave it out.

* 1 6 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
* 3 tablespoons light Karo syrup
* 1/2 cup of sugar
* 2 cups vanilla wafers, crushed
* 1 cup pecans, chopped fine
* 1/3 cup rum (or bourbon or brandy)
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ginger
* powdered sugar, for coating

Melt chocolate over low heat-remove-stir in sugar, rum and corn syrup. Fold in wafers, cinnamon, ginger and nuts. Shape into 1" balls using 2 tsp mix for each. Roll in powdered sugar. Store in air-tight container for several days. Makes 4 dozen balls.

OK - I was at the grocery store last night picking up some odds and ends for fixing dinner tonight. I saw a couple of corned beefs in the the cooler - I just found what I'm going to make for New Year's weekend.

Here's the question: Bake or simmer?

Corned beef is much better simmered. If you want to bake or braise get a brisket.

Also a good opportunity to make fresh horseradish sauce.

Just my 2¢

Joe

Corned beef is much better simmered. If you want to bake or braise get a brisket.

Also a good opportunity to make fresh horseradish sauce.

Just my 2¢

Joe

mmm - I've cooked up a whole herd of briskets in my smokers over the years, but haven't ever cooked a corned beef. These were the pre-seasoned ones in the cryovac, so they just needed to be cooked. There were two methods listed on the package, but I didn't know which one was 'right'.

And yes, let there be horseradish!

Egg Nog

12 egg yolks
5 cloves, whole
4 cups milk
4 cups cream
3 cups light rum
1+ ¾ cups sugar
2+ ½ teaspoons vanilla essence
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
¾ teaspoon nutmeg, ground

In a saucepan over low heat, blend the milk, cinnamon, cloves and half a teaspoon of the vanilla essence.

Keep stirring while mixture heats, and remove from heat just before boiling point.

Make sure you whisk the egg yolkswell so that they're light and fluffy.

In a bowl, mix together the sugar with all those egg yolks. YOU NEED TO DO THIS SLOWLY OR ELSE YOU GET SCRAMBLED EGGS. This is called tempering. Gently and a little at a time, pour in the milk mixture while continuing to whisk.

Transfer mixture back into your saucepan over a medium heat while continuing to stir.

Keep stirring until your eggnog mixture starts to resemble custard.
Never let the mixture to reach boiling point!!

Pour and strain the mixture into a jug, making sure to remove the cloves.
Stand jug in the fridge for an hour or two.

Gently stir in the cream, light rum, remaining vanilla and ground nutmeg.
Put back into the fridge overnight.

Serve in cups with a little extra ground nutmeg, cinnamon or baking cocoa sprinkled lightly on top and your favorit adult beverage. I prefer brandy!

funny-pictures-cat-wants-egg-nog.jpg

I forgot how good just some simple roasted vegetables can be:

-small red potatoes, or gold, or both
(or use the larger size red/gold and halve or quarter them)
-a large onion, cut into eighths
-carrot sticks, use more than you think because they'll shrink

dump all into a roasting pan, I use pyrex because it's what I have.

add some olive oil and stir to coat, season with kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper.

Roast at 400 for 45-60 minutes. Halfway through cooking, stir it all up and add some garlic if you want.

The potatoes will roast and get a little color, the carrots will get a little brown, and the onions will carmelize. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Oh I agree. I'm still searching for a vegetable that doesn't work.

Some of my more unusual favorites:

Beets (believe it or not)
Fennel (sort of like licorice flavored celery)
Whole bulbs of garlic

Joe

Oh I agree. I'm still searching for a vegetable that doesn't work.
Bell peppers. They seem to over power every other vegetable they are cooked with. I find if I roast them separately then add them to what I am cooking that works better than throwing them in raw and cooking them with the other stuff.

-small red potatoes, or gold, or both
(or use the larger size red/gold and halve or quarter them)
-a large onion, cut into eighths
-carrot sticks, use more than you think because they'll shrink

dump all into a roasting pan, I use pyrex because it's what I have.

add some olive oil and stir to coat, season with kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper.

Roast at 400 for 45-60 minutes. Halfway through cooking, stir it all up and add some garlic if you want.

The potatoes will roast and get a little color, the carrots will get a little brown, and the onions will carmelize. Good stuff.

For a while this summer, I made whole meals out of:

one cut up Vidalia onion
one cut up red pepper
slosh good EVOO on it
salt and pepper

bake the heck out of it. The last ten minutes on broil.

Sometimes I would nestle a cut of filet mignon into the pile.

I still am doing the red pepper at least once a week - haven't added onion for a while.

ps. I should have mentioned - my garlic tomato sauce recipe is even better the next day and the next. I only used a SMIDGE of cayenne pepper (no red pepper flakes on hand) and it's enough to make my lips tingle so be judicious with your use of the pepper.

So Elizabeth, what's a guy gotta do to get invited to dinner at your place (can my wife come too?)

Joe

hee!

You know, I only have dinner parties about twice a year, which is a shame because I really enjoy having them. It gives me an excuse to actually cook and they're usually small (5-6 people) so it's good conversation (if you have a lot of people then it's many conversations, hard to keep up).

Clean up after a dinner party is much easier than cleanup after a regular party, too - if for no other reason than the cleanup is usually limited to the kitchen.

This is "somewhat" aviation related, as it comes from Fredericksburg, TX (aka T82, gateway to the Hill Country, the home of the famous Hangar Hotel and Spike's getaway cabin):

Festive Milk Punch

Recipe from Rebecca Rather of Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe, Fredericksburg.

1 1/2 gallons premium-quality vanilla ice cream
1 quart whole milk
2 cups bourbon
1 cup rum
1/4 cup brandy
nutmeg, for dusting

Remove ice cream from freezer and let sit at room temperature until it begins to soften, 15 minutes or more (cut into chunks to speed process). Put milk, bourbon, rum, and brandy in a large punch bowl and stir to combine. Spoon ice cream into bowl and stir lightly so that some is mixed in and some floats on top. Dust with nutmeg and serve immediately.

Makes about 30 eight-ounce cups, or almost 2 gallons.

Recipe received in an email from Texas Monthly magazine, originally from Rebecca Rather’s The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country’s Rather Sweet Bakery & Café (co-written with Alison Oresman and published by Ten Speed Press).

I am eating it now, finally. It's GOOD!!

The cinnamon is barely a hint, can't taste the curry really, and ditto on the cayenne. I used a light touch on the latter two and for all that I thought I put a lot of cinnamon in, when you figure it's no less than 6 cups of stock plus 2.5 lbs of squash, it's not much at all.

I should have mentioned (and will update the blog) that after letting it simmer for two hours I used a potato masher to finish the job. It is definitely soupy, but it still had chunks before I mashed it. Now the chunks are smaller.

For dessert, I made rum balls.

the other day i made some chicken stuff with biscuits. it was pretty yummy.

mix together can of cream of celery soup with 1/3 cup of milk. add in a can of green beans (drained). cook up 3 or 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces, and add to the mix. dump all of this into a pan. I used an 8X8 pan. cover in foil and cook it at 375 for 20 minutes. when thats over take some of those doughboy rolls that are in the cannister and put them on top of the chicken slop. cover it all up with biscuits then back in the oven for 15 minutes until the biscuits are done.

my only problem was that i should've used a slightly larger pan. also we had the "Grands" biscuits which didn't cook as fast as the thinner ones would've. as a result i boiled a fair amount of chicken slop over the pan and onto the bottom of the oven, and the biscuit in the middle wasn't quite done. but it was still yummy!

the other day i made some chicken stuff with biscuits. it was pretty yummy.

mix together can of cream of celery soup with 1/3 cup of milk. add in a can of green beans (drained). cook up 3 or 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces, and add to the mix. dump all of this into a pan. I used an 8X8 pan. cover in foil and cook it at 375 for 20 minutes. when thats over take some of those doughboy rolls that are in the cannister and put them on top of the chicken slop. cover it all up with biscuits then back in the oven for 15 minutes until the biscuits are done.

my only problem was that i should've used a slightly larger pan. also we had the "Grands" biscuits which didn't cook as fast as the thinner ones would've. as a result i boiled a fair amount of chicken slop over the pan and onto the bottom of the oven, and the biscuit in the middle wasn't quite done. but it was still yummy!

Mmmm - chicken-pot-pie casserole!

Sounds like something I used to make back in college. It's been a few years (about 25), but I think that I would cook up ground beef in sloppy-joe mix, then pour it into a baking pan, cover it with cheese (Velveeta, I think), then add the raw biscuits on top. Bake until the biscuits are done - I think it was called "Cheeseburger Casserole". It stuck to your ribs.

i think im making tater tot casserole tonight. if you live north of Iowa, that would be tater tot hot dish.

ah, gotcha. well we'll have leftovers and aren't eating till later so if you start driving once you get off work you should' be here about on time.

last night leah made me pineapple teiyaki chicken

1/2 an onion thinly sliced, a green pepper cut in 1 inch chunks, a pound and a half of chicken breast, a can of pineapple rings and a cup of teriyaki marinade. onions and peppers in the bottom of a 13X9 pan, chicken over that then pineapple and marinade. baked it for 40 minutes, stopping once to spoon the pan juices over the chicken and veggies. then did the same right before serving. we ate it on a bed of cooked white rice and it was pretty good!

my lil brother calls this "potato hamburger and corn casserole"

make Au Gratin potatoes just like the box says except mix in a pound of browned ground beef and a can of corn, drained. yum!

Back