Let’s make Wednesday 'recipe' day!

Tony, you're making me flash-back to my college days. Buy whatever is on sale, mix it all together, and bake.

last night i made parmesan chicken. yum.

oven to 425

whip up two egg whites until frothy then crush in a clove of garlic.

mix together 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs, a teaspoon of oregano, some black pepper, and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl.

cover chicken breasts in flour. dip in egg whites, then coat with the breadcrumb mix. bake for 25 minutes. meanwhile cook some spaghetti and heat up sauce.

serve yummy chicken on bed of spaghetti covered in sauce with some grated mozzarella.

Spaghetti and meatballs for us tonight. I rarely have the time to make my own sauce, so I cheat. Olive oil in the pan, then saute a can of diced tomatoes and garlic for a while, add whatever seasonings I'm in the mood for, then add a can or jar of store-bought sauce. Tonight I'm going to try a package of ready-made meatballs I got from a local place and see what happens.

Spaghetti and meatballs for us tonight. I rarely have the time to make my own sauce, so I cheat. Olive oil in the pan, then saute a can of diced tomatoes and garlic for a while, add whatever seasonings I'm in the mood for, then add a can or jar of store-bought sauce. Tonight I'm going to try a package of ready-made meatballs I got from a local place and see what happens.

when I cheat I just buy a can a Ragu or something. i like the kind with mushrooms and green peppers in it.

Here is a fast tomato sauce recipe, it takes 15 minutes

1 14oz can crushed tomatoes
1 can of tomato paste
garlic
mushrooms
onions
basil
oregano
1tbs olive oil
1tbs sugar

Dice the onions and slice the mushrooms, cook in olive oil.

Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic and sugar. Heat and cover, simmer for 15 minutes.

Serve.

Cooking as I type: Salsa Chicken

Ingredients:

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 ½ cups salsa

1 tsp ground cumin

3 tbsp lime juice

Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken in slow cooker, pour salsa over chicken. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours or high 3 hours, until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Stir in cumin and lime juice, cover and cook an additional 15 minutes.

I'm surprised cumin goes in at the end. Lime juice at the end I understand.

I was wondering about that. What will the lime juice do earlier?
The flavor sort of evaporates. I'm not sure why but if you cook with lemon or lime you always add at least half at the very end for the intense sour flavor.

Dark spices like cumin, alspice, cinnamon... seem to cook into the food.

Cyndi's Waffle recipe:
1cup flour, 3/4 cup milk, 3tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp malted milk (optional), 1tsp vanilla, dash of salt, 1 egg, 2 tbsp melted butter.

1. sift flour and salt
2. add egg... See More
3. beat batter, add milk, vanilla malted milk and butter.

Makes three to four waffles.

Are you sure you didn't miss a leavening ingredient?

Trapper John
Yes I am sure the recipe is correct. These are very light and fluffy waffles. The egg white itself is a leavening agent. When exposed to heat the protein coils in the egg white will start to uncoil and spring up. Waffles are made in a very hot waffle iron and the egg white has more than enough heat to start the process of uncoiling, giving the batter a nice fluffy constancy as it cooks.

This is the easiest waffle batter i have ever used. I have tried them all, even making the egg whites into soft peaks and folding them into the batter. This is fast, easy and delicious.

The flavor sort of evaporates. I'm not sure why but if you cook with lemon or lime you always add at least half at the very end for the intense sour flavor.

Dark spices like cumin, alspice, cinnamon... seem to cook into the food.

Well, the chicken turned out pretty good. The one thing I noticed is that it seems dry. Why does this happen to meat in a crock pot? (I've noticed the meat in my chili will get dry too.) Only the beef roasts seem to come out of the crock moist and juicy. :dunno:

Well, the chicken turned out pretty good. The one thing I noticed is that it seems dry. Why does this happen to meat in a crock pot? (I've noticed the meat in my chili will get dry too.) Only the beef roasts seem to come out of the crock moist and juicy. :dunno:
Crockpots tend to overcook. So unless the cut of meat has a lot of collagen in it they will dry out. Roasts have a lot of those collagens in it, the long cooking will soften them and keep the meat moist. This is why briskets taste so good when BBq'ed, they too tend to actually be over cooked, but the connective fibers break down long after the fats have cooked out and give up their moisture.

With a crockpot one thing you can do to minimize this drying effect is to cook for less time at a lower heat, and/or place your meat towards the top of the stuff to be cooked. You can also add the meat at a later time of course this eliminates some of the convenience of crockpot cooking.

I have a new toy. I bought a grain milling attachment to the Kitchenaid Mixer, it arrived late yesterday.

So this morning I made whole wheat buttermilk pancakes:

1 cup Wheatberries, milled on finest -1 setting
2 eggs
1 t baking soda
2 t baking powder
dash salt
1.5 C buttermilk

Mill the grain into the mixer bowl, remove mill add whisk type fitting, add remaining ingredients, mix about 2 min until smooth.

Heat non stick frying pan hot and cook.

It took about 10 min to prepare and they were pretty good. Maybe a bit on the heavy side but they are shall we say rustic. I liked them.

My next project is bread made from whole grains. I am working on

3 C Wheat berries
1 C Brown rice
2 t Active dry yeast
2T Honey
pinch salt
1 egg
2 T olive oil
~1.5 C warm water

Mix the yeast and honey in about half C of warm ~40°C water.

Mill the grains on finest -1 setting into mixing bowl
Add the other dry ingredients
Using the dough hook mix the dry stuff
Add the egg and oil
Add yeast-honey liquid mixture
Add enough water to form a dough

This time I had to stop part way and knead the dough by hand. I think I should have taken part of the flour aside to use.

It is rising at room temperature. Hopefully ready by dinner time. I'll report how it works

Joe

last night leah made me pineapple teiyaki chicken

1/2 an onion thinly sliced, a green pepper cut in 1 inch chunks, a pound and a half of chicken breast, a can of pineapple rings and a cup of teriyaki marinade. onions and peppers in the bottom of a 13X9 pan, chicken over that then pineapple and marinade. baked it for 40 minutes, stopping once to spoon the pan juices over the chicken and veggies. then did the same right before serving. we ate it on a bed of cooked white rice and it was pretty good!

I made this again the other night but I didn't feel like waiting for it to bake so I just put the chicken, pepper, onion, teriyaki marinade, and pineapple (chunks this time, not rings), in a pan and cooked it until the chicken was done. i may have used more than a cup of teriyaki stuff, didn't really measure it. Served over rice again. Just as yummy and a lot faster.

Well the bread didn't come out that well. It was a bit heavy. So I made half of it into a thin crust pizza, and put the other half into the fridge for overnight.

I think next batch I'll mix in some store bought all purpose flour for a smoother texture.

It tasted pretty good, but I've got more work to do. Viveca is supporting the experimentation.

tonight i was hungry so i surveyed the fridge. ended up browning a pound of beef. I mixed in a bunch of tater tots and about 1/3 of an onion chopped up. Got the hamburger good and browned and the tots cooked then drained the grease, back on the pan and I threw my last 3 slices of swiss cheese on the mix and stirred it in. Served with some pepper and ketchup and it wasn't too bad!

My batchleor days recipe. I lived on this .. I bought 1Lb pks of ground beef, cans of peas . big box of instant mashed potato's & butter. while browning the grnd beef(from frozen) In a pot make the potato's. dump them together , add the drained can of peas, & eat. easy to clean, easy to eat, easy to keep. I called it green slime, cause that is how it looks. Dave

My batchleor days recipe. I lived on this .. I bought 1Lb pks of ground beef, cans of peas . big box of instant mashed potato's & butter. while browning the grnd beef(from frozen) In a pot make the potato's. dump them together , add the drained can of peas, & eat. easy to clean, easy to eat, easy to keep. I called it green slime, cause that is how it looks. Dave

Works well with green beans instead of the peas, too. :yes:

im currently killing a Joy of Cooking recipe. should be interesting. more later if I live through the taste test.

Abby made the most wonderful Asian soup tonight from one of our Chinese cookbooks. Tasted like kicked-up grown-up Ramen!

Long Soup

Ingredients: 8 green onions, 4 to 6 ounces cabbage (1/4 of small head), we used Napa Cabbage, 8 ounces uncooked boneless lean pork, 1-1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil, 6 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock, 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp grated pared fresh ginger root, 4 ounces thin Chinese egg noodles (stir fry noodles)

Prep:

Cut onions into thin diagonal slices. Shred cabbage. Slice pork into thin strips. Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat. Stir-fry pork until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add stock, soy sauce and ginger to pork mixture. Cook until mixture boils. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Finally, stir in noodles, onions and cabbage, cook just until noodles are tender, 1 to 4 minutes.

Makes about 4 servings

I am having a lot of fun milling my own flour. I am very much in the experimental phase. I have to say taste is exceptional and I'm working on texture.

Batch #2, worried that the left overs could be used to build another retaining wall, I made a bunch of changes. I used the finest grind instead of finest -1 (there's about 10) I sifted the result and got about 3 table spoons of chaf or is is FOD. I doubled the yeast and went to warm risings instead of room temperature. I added an egg, buttermilk and about 1/4 all purpose flour. These rose much better so I let it rise about 3 times. Texture was softer but overall still heavy.

Batch #3 is on it's first rising now. It contains 2 cups wheat berries, 1 C short grain brown rice, 1/2 cup flax seed, 1/2 cup black beans. I milled this mixture in 2 steps instead of one. One to crack and mix the grains the other to grind as fine as possible. Then sifted twice while adding 1.5 C King Arthur unbleached.

One thing I've learned is that after rising, cover and put the dough in the refrigerator overnight. This makes improves the taste quite a bit. Tomorrow when I take it out it goes will be allowed to rise much more and cooked in a bread pan rather than formed on a cookie sheet.

I will report.

Couldn't help myself - had to make a batch of oatmeal cookies.

Left out the flies, though.

Catching up on many posts... can't believe I've missed this thread....

Thought I'd contribute with the veggie chili recipe I made at Oshkosh last summer. For those who prefer meat, convert by swapping out the veggie crumbles with ground beef.

(Yes, I know, some will say 'chili shouldn't have beans, etc. This is a quick conversion of a vegetarian recipe here; if I were starting with a recipe designed specifically for meat, it would look different, probably include some chocolate along the way....)

I make my own 'Brand X' chili powder because I can control the amount of salt in it, although I can't claim the recipe as being my own. Will post that separately.

Be forewarned: this makes A LOT of chili, so scale accordingly, or invite friends :) Very good on a cold day - Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------

Veggie (or not) Chili

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon salt
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers, drained
2 (12 ounce) packages vegetarian burger crumbles, OR 1.5-2 lbs ground beef
3 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
2 teaspoons (or thereabouts) plus 1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 small can chipotle peppers in adobo

1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn

Directions

Brown veggie crumbles / ground beef in a pan with a couple teaspoons of chili powder (add oil if needed for the veggie crumbles). Drain fat, set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and season with bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix in the celery, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and green chile peppers. When vegetables are heated through, mix in the veggie crumbles meat mixture. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 5 minutes.

Mix the tomatoes into the pot. Season chili with ¼ cup chili powder and pepper. Stir in the kidney beans, pinto beans, and black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes. Chop up a couple of the chipotle peppers in adobo, add to pot. Check seasoning, adjust as needed. Stir in the corn, and continue cooking 5 minutes before serving.

Garnish with cheese, sour cream, green onions, etc as desired.

'Brand X' Chili Powder

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe/index.html

I like this recipe; no salt in it unless you put it there, and with the blend of flavors, you really don't need it.

I find the peppers dried, and purchased a coffee grinder to be used just for grinding spice mixes. Takes some time to prepare, but the results are well worth it -after the first batch, I couldn't look at storebought chili powder the same way again...

SWEET AND SOUR BBQ PORK RIBS by Bob Bement

4 lb. Country style boneless pork ribs
I cup of flour
1 ½ tea spoons of salt
1/2 tea spoon of pepper
( I place all of this in a bag and shake it all around for a while till meat is covered.)

Place the meat in a pan, to place in the oven when ready. Put the extra flour in too.

Sauce:

1 cup of catsup
½ cup of water
2 table spoons of vinegar
2 table spoons of Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup of Soy sauce
½ cup of white sugar

Mix this sauce all up good and then pour it over the meat.

Cut a small onion into slices and spread on top of what you have already.

I/2 green pepper optional ( I don’t like it so I leave it out)
Cover with Al foil and set oven for 300 degrees. Bake three hours and then remove the Al foil and cook uncovered for one more hour. Baste several times in the last hour.
Enjoy.

Vegetarian Tortilla Soup

Something I threw together yesterday - I rooted around in the cupboard and fridge and invented this with what I found.

Chop or slice an onion and saute in olive oil until soft.

One can of diced or crushed tomatoes
One can of corn, don't drain it
One can of rinsed and drained black beans
Two cans of vegetable stock/broth
One package of taco seasoning

Bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes or so.

--

I found a half dozen corn tortillas in the refridgerator, so I cut them into strips and fried them in a little canola oil for a minute or two to crisp them up.

Add half the strips to the soup about 5 minutes before serving.

Serve it up, top with shredded pepper-jack cheese (something else I found hiding in the fridge) and the leftover tortilla strips. Drop some sour cream on top.

It worked out pretty well. You could also add leftover chicken and use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth, too.

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies

1 boxed brownie mix for a 13x9 pan, prepared according to box directions

1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. spray a 13x9 pan with cooking spray.
Prepare peanut butter swirl: beat peanut butter, sugar, butter, flour, vanilla, and egg until well blended.
Spread two-thirds of the prepared chocolate brownie batter into the bottom of the pan. Top with blobs of peanut butter mixture. Top with remaining 1/3 of brownie batter. With tip of knife, cut and twist through mixtures to create swirled effect.
Bake brownie 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from edge comes out almost clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.

BBQ - NM Style:

Use Charcoal. You are an abomination of BBQ if you use propane.

1. Dust off grill
2. Light grill
3. Place unseasoned hamburger patty on grill (not premade patty)
4. Place Cheddarwurst on grill
5. When Cheddarwust is about to explode, and is nice and black on at least one side, remove from grill.
6. When Hamburger starts to spit juice, place green chile on it, and seal with a slice of cheese
7. Remove hamburger from grill
8. Smother hamburger bun with thick and sticky bbq sauce, a dill stacker and mustard. Place hamburger on bun.
9. Smother hotdog bug with ketchup, green chile and mustard and NOTHING ELSE
10. Place cheddarwust in hotdog bun.

Enjoy!

This is how I make my tasty Meat Loaf:

1 Lb. hamburger, 1/2 lb of regular sausage, 2 eggs, 1 cup of milk, 1 1/2 slices of whole wheat bread finely ground ( I use a little oscar to do this), 3/4 of a med. sized onion again chopped up fine, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp of the following spices: sage, dry mustard, celery salt, and garlic salt.
Mix all of this in a large bowl. It is important to get your hands in and really mix it real good. Place in a flat cooking pan and form a mound. That is round it so it is higher in the middle and slopes down on the sides and ends.
Cook for 1 1/2 hours at 325 degrees. Or until nice and brown on the top. If you don't eat it all at one meal, it makes great sandwiches. Enjoy. Bob

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies

1 boxed brownie mix for a 13x9 pan, prepared according to box directions

1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Spray the bottom of a 13x9 pan with cooking spray.
Prepare peanut butter swirl: using a mixer, beat peanut butter, sugar, butter, flour, vanilla, and egg until well blended.
Spread two-thirds of the prepared chocolate brownie batter into the bottom of the pan. Top with dollops of peanut butter mixture. Top with remaining 1/3 of brownie batter. With tip of knife, cut and twist through mixtures to create swirled effect.
Bake brownie 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from edge comes out almost clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.

Back