Let’s make Wednesday 'recipe' day!

It sounds like you are pretty good at crocking and driving

From your description, it seems like you need to somehow pull a vacuum between the liner and the crock? I think that's what you're describing, and I'm not sure the best way to do that except maybe fill it completely full of water so the water will push out trapped air from behind the liner? I've never used a liner, so I don't know exactly how they fit.

...SNIP...It was *just* a hair on the "soupy" side, I kinda like my chili thick, but it wasn't too watery. Maybe another can of tomato paste the next time? :dunno:
...SNIP...:D
Pop the top for about 10 or 14 minutes before eating. It will thicken up amazingly quick. Of course, you might have a hard time driving, what with it sloshing about and the steam coming off it like a Maine fog!
Nice mods. I just might try it out. Have to get me a crockery cooker.

From your description, it seems like you need to somehow pull a vacuum between the liner and the crock? I think that's what you're describing, and I'm not sure the best way to do that except maybe fill it completely full of water so the water will push out trapped air from behind the liner? I've never used a liner, so I don't know exactly how they fit.

That's it. I was thinking that the food itself would push the liner to the edge this time since it nearly filled the crock, but I still had bubbles. I now suspect that the air is at the very top, so the water trick might work but I'd have to fill it completely to the brim. I'm also not sure that would completely fix it, since I'd have to dump the water *out* and there's no seal between the liner and the crock to keep air from going back in when I dump the water out. Not to mention I'd have to find a couple of gallons of water somewhere (I do not have a sink on board - Only the Volvo 770/780/880 have that luxury!)

It seems to be worse at the ends of the oval crock... Maybe some sort of small tube to bypass the gasket on the lid? Hmmm.

Pop the top for about 10 or 14 minutes before eating. It will thicken up amazingly quick. Of course, you might have a hard time driving, what with it sloshing about and the steam coming off it like a Maine fog!

Yeah, though I mostly tend to empty & eat it when I'm done for the day (er, night :() so that wouldn't be too big of a deal. Last night I spooned the first serving out when I fueled up in Erie, let it cool in a container on my dash, and ate it near Cleveland. The rest, I kept cooking on low for the last few hours.

Re: Let’s make Wednesday 'recipe' day!

BTW, speaking of crock pot liners - I have a crock pot that's got a rubber gasket around the lid and the lid actually latches down to the pot, so it's perfect for cooking while driving - However, it seems like any trapped gas under the liner has no way to escape while the hot gases above the food are vented through two small holes in the lid. As a result, the liner tends to get pushed up and I have some liquid getting vented as well.

I tried yesterday to start the cooking process with the lid off to allow some of the gases from under the liner to escape, and opened up the lid every time I stopped to assist with that, but it still ended up venting liquid. Even immediately after I vented the gases below the liner, I could see the bubbles expanding immediately as soon as I sealed the lid again.

Any bright ideas to prevent this?

Obviously a stainless steel vent tube or two need to be set between the liner and the pot. The vent tubes can be terminated just under the lid or dumped overboard by penetrating the pot body.

Ok, I have no idea what I'm typing about but it seems that a pathway needs to be constructed that goes from behind the liner to either the inside of the pot or overboard...hmmm, maybe through the gasket?

ps: if the recipe doesn't start with two jalapeño peppers and two onions then its probably not worth eating. :)

That's it. I was thinking that the food itself would push the liner to the edge this time since it nearly filled the crock, but I still had bubbles. I now suspect that the air is at the very top, so the water trick might work but I'd have to fill it completely to the brim. I'm also not sure that would completely fix it, since I'd have to dump the water *out* and there's no seal between the liner and the crock to keep air from going back in when I dump the water out. Not to mention I'd have to find a couple of gallons of water somewhere (I do not have a sink on board - Only the Volvo 770/780/880 have that luxury!)

It seems to be worse at the ends of the oval crock... Maybe some sort of small tube to bypass the gasket on the lid? Hmmm.

Maybe cut a vent hole or 2 along the top edge of the liner?

Maybe cut a vent hole or 2 along the top edge of the liner?

I'm guessing all that'll do is allow the liquids to leak past the liner, which pretty much negates the purpose of having it in the first place. :dunno:

Obviously a stainless steel vent tube or two need to be set between the liner and the pot. The vent tubes can be terminated just under the lid or dumped overboard by penetrating the pot body.

Ok, I have no idea what I'm typing about but it seems that a pathway needs to be constructed that goes from behind the liner to either the inside of the pot or overboard...hmmm, maybe through the gasket?

Actually, that's exactly what I was thinking: An upside down hook shaped metal tube at each end of the crock pot. Then I could still latch the lid down and the tube would maintain its shape to allow gases out past the gasket.

Now, I just need to find such a thing. ;)

Re: Let’s make Wednesday 'recipe' day!

Actually, that's exactly what I was thinking: An upside down hook shaped metal tube at each end of the crock pot. Then I could still latch the lid down and the tube would maintain its shape to allow gases out past the gasket.

Now, I just need to find such a thing. ;)

Some of the fuel system vent lines off the Dakota would prolly work. No, you can't have them. I really have no idea where to source thin wall tubing. Fuel injector line would work but it sounds spendy for a cooking utensil. I've got a small brush on my desk that I use to dust the keyboard and such. It's got a thin wall metal sleeve for a handle so it would work after a little modification. Maybe stop by a hardware store and wander the aisles until inspiration strikes and you see just the thing that will work for you? Ok, I'm not much help.

ps: work on the jalapeño additions...life's too short to not eat spicy food

ps: work on the jalapeño additions...life's too short to not eat spicy food

Oh, it's still pretty spicy with all the stuff I dumped into it. :yes: I wouldn't have it any other way!

The problem is that chopping peppers of any variety = prep and cleanup. Doesn't work so well in the truck. :no: I'm glad I could use real onions and garlic, but I don't think anyone sells pre-chopped peppers and even if they do, I think that tends to let some of the heat out. ;) Really, this chili turned out quite good. The crushed red pepper and the hot sauce definitely helped. :yes:

Oh, it's still pretty spicy with all the stuff I dumped into it. :yes: I wouldn't have it any other way!

The problem is that chopping peppers of any variety = prep and cleanup. Doesn't work so well in the truck. :no: I'm glad I could use real onions and garlic, but I don't think anyone sells pre-chopped peppers and even if they do, I think that tends to let some of the heat out. ;) Really, this chili turned out quite good. The crushed red pepper and the hot sauce definitely helped. :yes:
Canned chipotle in adobo sauce http://www.mexgrocer.com/1349.html

Hmmm. Do they have that at Wal-Mart? And are the peppers whole or pre-chopped? :idea:

They have pre-chopped canned peppers at Meijer - if your trips take you into Michigan.

I have a can of La Preferida brand diced Green Chilies and Meijer brand chopped jalapenos in the pantry right now.

Hmmm. Do they have that at Wal-Mart? And are the peppers whole or pre-chopped? :idea:
That link was to whole peppers, I've seen them chopped and as a paste.

Believe it or not there isn't a wal-mart near here, looking on line they do carry it.

Joe

Chipotles in adobo - them're hot!

Still on the liner thing - how about good ol' American aluminum foil?

Please share your favorite fresh SALSA recipes... I've got a garden full of peppers I need to make up some salsas. I'm interested in both red and green salsas. Please indicate the heat level of your recipe (on a scale of 1-10).

Please share your favorite fresh SALSA recipes... I've got a garden full of peppers I need to make up some salsas. I'm interested in both red and green salsas. Please indicate the heat level of your recipe (on a scale of 1-10).
My salsa is very simple.

I use fresh, de-seeded tomatoes (Italian plums are the best IMO)
onion
cilantro,
jalapeno
salt

and just food process it together.

When I lived in New Mexico and had access to real green chilies I would substitute those for the tomatoes for a green salsa.

1. Take the peppers.
2. Chop them up.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro, etc.
4. Eat.

;)

I make red salsa pretty much like Kent but add juice of a lime or lemon in a pinch.

I also make a green one in the food processor or blender. Substitute tomatillo (boiled or charred) for the tomatoes and process it into a smooth sauce.

As far as the heat you can control it in a couple of ways. I usually use fresh serrano or jalapeno as the main pepper flavor. If you remove the seeds they are much milder, leave them in if you're going for hot. Then I have dried cayenne, chipoltle and habanero.

Cayenne is a medium heat that has a pepper taste.

Chipoltle is medium-hot with a smoky taste.

Habanero is frickin hot with no taste.

So my trick is to get the flavor right in a medium to medium-hot sauce depending on whom I'm feeding. Then divide it two and use the habanero to adjust the heat for me.

Last edited:
Just use those little green Thai peppers that are ~1 inch long and chop them up nice and small. Don't remove the seeds or pith. Use lots of them because they are so small- you need more to make the same volume of salsa. :)

Like the others, pretty simple (use whatever ratios you like):

- chopped onion (I soak the chopped onion in water while I do the rest - it seems to keep the onion from overpowering everything else)
- chopped Jalapeno(s) - to taste/heat level
- chopped tomatoes (I remove the seeds)
- chopped cilantro
- a little garlic
- a little salt
- juice from one lime

--
stir
eat

Thanks, guys! Will be trying this tonight. What kind of onion (sweet, yellow, white, etc)? Plum tomatoes or "normal" tomatoes?

Thanks, guys! Will be trying this tonight. What kind of onion (sweet, yellow, white, etc)? Plum tomatoes or "normal" tomatoes?

I like white onions, because I think they stand up to the peppers better. Regular tomatoes will make a looser, juicier salsa, plum or Roma tomatoes will give it more body.

Trapper John

I like white onions, because I think they stand up to the peppers better. Regular tomatoes will make a looser, juicier salsa, plum or Roma tomatoes will give it more body.

Thanks; the wife likes Romas, I'll give that a shot with white onions.

I use red onions, no particular reason. They do add a little color.

To one cup of sooji (aka farina, cream of wheat) (1) add 4 cups water. Stir and place on low heat in a large sauce pan with a cover (or a covered wok- I use this since boil-overs have lots of expansion room).

To the mixture, add:
1 chopped apple (2)
1 tablespoon cinnamon (use the sticks & grind it fresh)
1/2 nutmeg freshly ground
2 tablespoons brown sugar (3)
1/2 tablespoon Kosher salt

Allow to come to a simmer with the cover on the sauce pan, stir occasionally for 1/2 hour or until thickened. Serve warm by itself, with cream, or a little butter.

Serves 4-5. I slice it into 5 wedges that I warm up for breakfast during the week. 1.5-1.75 minutes on the microwave warms up a single serving in a covered bowl.

(1) Steel cut oat meal or corn meal can be substituted. don't use instant or the 5 minute stuff. I find sooji in the local Indian/Asian supermarket.

(2) Raisins, dried cherries, dates, etc can be used instead. Or skip the fruit.

(3) Maple syrup or molasses can be used. Or not if you don't want it/can't have it. The spices are optional too.

OK - I just had an attack of I-need-tamales. A local Mexican shop nearby sells tamales, but I've never cooked them before. Any recommendations on steaming vs. any other methods?

Hot Dogs and Ketchup:

Take 2 Hotdogs, place on a bun
Spread mustard on the bun
Spread ketchup on the bun
Enjoy.

Hot Dogs and Ketchup:

Enjoy.

You actually spread the condiments on the bun? I just pour 'em over the dog. And you don't cook the hot dogs? ;)

Actually, it's amazing how much better such things get when you butter and then toast the buns.

OK - I just had an attack of I-need-tamales. A local Mexican shop nearby sells tamales, but I've never cooked them before. Any recommendations on steaming vs. any other methods?

I steam them in a vegetable steamer (double boiler arrangement with steamer basket). Works just fine!

Hot Dogs and Ketchup:

Enjoy.

You actually spread the condiments on the bun? I just pour 'em over the dog. And you don't cook the hot dogs? ;)

Actually, it's amazing how much better such things get when you butter and then toast the buns.

BARBARIANS!!

The lot of you!

I steam them in a vegetable steamer (double boiler arrangement with steamer basket). Works just fine!

Yeah - that's what I'll probably do, too. How long do they need to steam? I've seen recipes that call for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.

And are those pre-made tamales usually pre-cooked? my guess is no.

This is a little Mexican shop nearby that sells the best tortillas we've found, now I need to try their other stuff. Maybe I'll start a new family Thanksgiving tradition - turkey and tamales!

Back to the hot dogs - when I was about 8 or so I had to learn how to cook. Mainly because mom wouldn't fix what I wanted, so I had to do it myself. She always had to fix that healthy stuff.

One of the things I did was slice a hotdog end to end, but not all the way through. Just enough to butterfly it, then fry it until it was just a little charred, then put some cheese on top and melt it in. Put that on a bun with some mustard and relish and I was in kid heaven.

They should be.

The meat and spices are prepared and cooked outside of the corn meal and put into the cooked cornmeal and wrapped. All that should need to be done is to heat them back up.

What Scott said. As to timing, 20 minutes once the water is boiling seems to get them hot enough for me.

Someone needs to tell New Mexicans that Tamales should have meat in them. Seems I only ever get Tamales with red chile (and only red chile) in them.

Gross.

Someone needs to tell New Mexicans that Tamales should have meat in them. Seems I only ever get Tamales with red chile (and only red chile) in them.

Gross.
Buy the tamales from old Mexicans then ;)

I have gotten both beef and pork tamales in NM. But despair not Nick, New Mexico has some of the best Mexican food around. So much better than that Tex-mex crap that is sold everywhere else.

Back