Large size Foggles?

Leo Langston

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
llangston1
Are there any good foggles that will fit over glasses? I have started my IFR training and need something that will fit over my glasses and under my headset so I don’t have to take off my hat and headset every time I need to put on or take off the hood. I got a cardboard hood called The Feather that I am using now but it’s a PITA to put on/take off. I was going to make my own out of some safety glasses but someone said they have to be FAA approved to be used so that option is NO GO.
Also I normally fly my plane with my iPad mounted above the panel attached to the windshield over by the right side yoke. It’s next to impossible to find a chart or mess with the iPad without looking up and seeing outside. Will I have to move it to my knee for the checkride?

Any suggestions of recommendations for foggles?

Leo

A buddy said he likes a hood that attached to the bill of his cap but he can’t remember it’s name. Does anyone what the name of the device is?

Whoever said they had to be "FAA-approved" was lying. I took my checkride with a pair of taped up safety glasses, and the DPE didn't care at all.

I was going to make my own out of some safety glasses
And there is your solution. Use electrical tape or masking take to block the view, equivalent to the store-bought foggles. If you show them to the examiner side by side and they look identical except for size, I can't imagine anyone having a problem with that. But as others have said, best to check with the DPE ahead of time (or bring your store-bought foggles as well, just for the checkride, just in case).'

- Martin

I wear trifocals and need a solution like you. I had a pair of glasses made up by my optician on frames that have a provision for clip on tinted 'lenses'. They pop on/off in a second. I bought a second tinted clip on and removed the lenses but made a 'foggle' by cutting out a black cardboard sheet that covered all external views except the panel. They go on in a second or two when I get the call for "foggles on" and come off in a second when I hit minimums and proceed with a landing.

This is similar what I bought:
https://www.eyeglasses.com/eyeglasses/magnetic-clip-on-sunglasses

Again, they only have to satisfy your CFII; there is no FAA approval for a view limiting device.

I wish I had not lost my "Hood Lamb" in one of my many moves here on the Great Lake circuit (Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Minnesota).

It attached to the headset above the ear cups, and you could flip it up or down to provide restricted or unrestricted vision. Alas, I can't find one for sale these days. Since I wear eyeglasses, it was a wonderful solution to the Foggle issue.

I used a pair of safety glasses that fit over my regular glasses. I sat in my plane and used a dry erase marker on the lenses to mark lines where I could see out the windscreen and side windows. Then I took masking tape and covered up the viewing window and used white spray paint to paint the glasses. Unmask and voila. Custom made for my seat position, panel height, and windows.

Whoever said they had to be "FAA-approved" was lying. I took my checkride with a pair of taped up safety glasses, and the DPE didn't care at all.

Most likely someone looking to make some money off him.

I used the Super Hood and mounted to a more comfortable visor that I adjusted the size to fit over my headset so no fumbling taking it off, glasses, headset etc. 5765AE93-5A6F-4CE8-9119-89FF9C5AA366_1_105_c.jpeg

I'm a big fan of the Jiffyhood. It's cheap and adjustable. It seems to work best if you also wear it over a ball cap with a small bill. The ball cap headband soaks up sweat and provides additional support. In general I think hoods are much more comfortable and functional for people who wear glasses. If you tend to sweat a lot (and who doesn't sweat during a checkride?) foggles can be a problem with sweat streaming down the insides and the clear part actually fogging up.

1694045943687.png

And there is your solution. Use electrical tape or masking take to block the view, equivalent to the store-bought foggles. If you show them to the examiner side by side and they look identical except for size, I can't imagine anyone having a problem with that. But as others have said, best to check with the DPE ahead of time (or bring your store-bought foggles as well, just for the checkride, just in case).'

- Martin

Scotch tape will give the same frosted effect as the Sporty’s foggles. This was my Half-Fast solution and was acceptable to my DPEs.:

1694090560538.png

Any suggestions of recommendations for foggles?

they don't have to be FAA approved

Talk to the examiner
This is definitely not a one-size-fits-all scenario, for either person or aircraft, and I would contend that making your own is probably going to serve you best. I used BlockAlls, which are essentially a pair of wraparound safety glasses coated with an opaque coating. I had trouble with them making me feel sick as they intruded too much into my peripheral vision. I took a die grinder and cut the clear lens portion out and also widened it a little so, a) I wasn't having to look through a cheap lens (suspicious this was causing distortion and also a contributor to feeling sick), b) there was no longer a lens to get foggy or dirty, and c) I had a wider peripheral view, and could see most of panel without needing to turn my head. When I got to my checkride, I can't remember if I was discussing the troubles I had had with them with the DPE or if I discovered that for some reason I did not have them with me. Regardless, his question was, "You have a ball cap?" Did not have one with me, but we drove to a Walmart 5 minutes away and got one, and I used that for the checkride. Pulling the brim low kept everything above the glareshield out of sight, while allowing unrestricted peripheral view of the panel.

Last edited:
Reactions: WDD
Ive tried all sorts of foggles to fit over my glasses. Including hoods. I found the best option for me was to use the ASA flip up clips. Not sure why these arent more popular but they work great. used them on multiple checkrides as well.

What he said. SO much easier to use than the other options. Put them on for taxi and take off, and when you need to limit the view you flip them down. Let's you focus on other things, like flying, vs fumbling putting on something else.

NOT THIS
1694104152999.png

THIS
1694103759767.png

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Jiffyhood. It's cheap and adjustable. It seems to work best if you also wear it over a ball cap with a small bill. The ball cap headband soaks up sweat and provides additional support. In general I think hoods are much more comfortable and functional for people who wear glasses. If you tend to sweat a lot (and who doesn't sweat during a checkride?) foggles can be a problem with sweat streaming down the insides and the clear part actually fogging up.

View attachment 120404
If you normally wear glasses, this works very well

I wish I had not lost my "Hood Lamb" in one of my many moves here on the Great Lake circuit (Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Minnesota).

It attached to the headset above the ear cups, and you could flip it up or down to provide restricted or unrestricted vision. Alas, I can't find one for sale these days. Since I wear eyeglasses, it was a wonderful solution to the Foggle issue.
Check EBay. Preferred Airparts has a pair of brand new Hoodlamb listed now. Call them and they will probably slit the set.

Wanted to add these to the mix.
I bought a pair, and taped them up. They work well for me to put on/remove while wearing my prescription glasses.
Best part? Only 2 bucks!

Link

I actually got a pair of a foggle type of glasses on Amazon that work well over my eyeglasses. They even come with the handy IFR cheat card. So far they are working well for me.

Attachments

• IMG_5713.png
    IMG_5713.png
    547.5 KB · Views: 8

- Martin
^^^^^ Almost perfect ^^^^...
When I was taking lessons, had packed everything up for the day and headed to office. About noon, my CFI texted me to bring foggles - uh, what?!?! I had some clear XL safety glasses on the shelf so I grab the scotch tape dispense on my desk and covered the lenses. Viola! CFI never said a word and DPE gave me a thumbs up.

Back