Landing on every runway (1 - 36)

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I have landed at 68 airports in 23 states and 2 foreign countries. I have never (as far as I can tell/remember) landed on 15, 18, 19 or 35.

I am sure lots of people here have landed on all 36 headings, but I am guessing it takes a lot of moving around the country. How few states can you have visited to have done all of them?

I've flown all the headings several times. Landing on all of them is a statistic too tedious for me to document.

That's exactly the kind of useless statistic that interests me.

Since "runway used" is not (usually) logged, I bet that took a fair bit of manual evaluation to determine. I might have to do something similar, although of course with runways changing heading once in a while, it would only be a best guess.

A similar way to word your last question would be "which state has the most variety in runway headings?" Certainly wouldn't be here in Oklahoma. Almost every runway in the state is 17/35 or 18/36.

Just to be clear, I didn't say it was "useless," I just said it was too tedious for ME to document. I'm just happy with a nice landing on any runway regardless of direction. ;)

Y'all keep track of these things?

it would be pretty cool if u had a pic of every rwy #. I mean, not that u should be snapping pics on short final, but u know, cool nevertheless.

I don't log the runway I land on except for approaches, but I thought I might have landed on most or all of the numbers with my trip to Cuba. I remember which runway I landed on at all 36 airports on that trip so just tallied them up and added all the local ones around here that I have used.

it would be pretty cool if u had a pic of every rwy #. I mean, not that u should be snapping pics on short final, but u know, cool nevertheless.

My wife took this picture of runway 4 at KMLU (Monroe, LA) while I was landing.

DSCN4038.jpg

This is also something amusing to me.....let's see if I can figure it out.

18-36 at my local field. 4-22-13-31 at my local towered field. 27 at the other 2 local fields (wind has never been at 9 at either one for me). 5 on my long solo XC (also 4, but already mentioned). 20 and 21 at 2 other local airports. 16 at Kankakee. 15-33 at KADS. 35 at Ardmore, OK and Paris, TX.

Ok, that's probably annoying to read. I'll go figure it out on my own time. :)

A similar way to word your last question would be "which state has the most variety in runway headings?" Certainly wouldn't be here in Oklahoma. Almost every runway in the state is 17/35 or 18/36.

This is the truth! Although, don't forget good ol' 16/34 at Guthrie (GOK), Russ! :biggrin:

One either needs a VERY good memory or a detailed logbook. I don't have either.
But should I fall ill one day with nothing else to do, I would be curious to go through my logs and memory to see how close to the full 360 I am (I assume I have not landed on all numbers yet).
I agree, useless but fun statistic. :)

I'm just happy with a nice landing on any runway regardless of direction. ;)

Me too, and that I can walk away! :yesnod:

But, having flown for 41+ years and thinking about it (gawd that hurts) I think I've landed every direction. But that's a lot of flights, a lot. Over many years.

Last edited:
I My wife took this picture of runway 4 at KMLU (Monroe, LA) while I was landing.

DSCN4038.jpg

Landed there many times when I flew for ASA/ExpressJet. Friendly controllers too, especially those 2 ladies when we were the last flight in and they...that is all.:aureola: :biggrin:

I have landed at 68 airports in 23 states and 2 foreign countries. I have never (as far as I can tell/remember) landed on 15, 18, 19 or 35.

I am sure lots of people here have landed on all 36 headings, but I am guessing it takes a lot of moving around the country. How few states can you have visited to have done all of them?

Of course, there are special gems like KTCS, New Mexico that would help knock out this task faster than most. :)

2z52o15.png

Guess I'm going to have to number my rivers and lakes now ;)

Most of the airports in Northern Alabama are 18/36. There was one that was 17/35 (corrected) but they made them change it. Unless there is a terrain issue like at Moontown then the runways are north-south.

Last edited:
Most of the airports in Northern Alabama are 18/36. There was one that was 19/35 but they made them change it. Unless there is a terrain issue like at Moontown then the runways are north-south.

19/35? I'm just picking nits here, but you mean 19/01, correct? Or 17/35? Although, I would love to see the odd shape of a 19/35-oriented runway! :rofl:

Guess I'm going to have to number my rivers and lakes now ;)

You don't have to go to all that trouble James, plus the numbers will wash right away. Just note your heading and jot it down. If that's what you really want to do. Just make sure you have 5 ****ing cameras recording. Not one, not two, five ****ing cameras!

Most of the airports in Northern Alabama are 18/36. There was one that was 17/35 (corrected) but they made them change it. Unless there is a terrain issue like at Moontown then the runways are north-south.

MSL has a NW-SE runway, forget the numbers. GAD has a couple different, 8/26 or 9/27, a few more airports. BHM 6/24, and 18/36.

Last edited:
What if you fly to LAX, which has four parallel runways, labeled 24 and 25? Does that count as two runways or one?

What if you land on the lakebed at Edwards in all possible directions?

You don't have to go to all that trouble James, plus the numbers will wash right away. Just note your heading and jot it down. If that's what you really want to do. Just make sure you have 5 ****ing cameras recording. Not one, not two, five ****ing cameras!

Dude, I'm going to have like 10, including a pucker factor camera lol

Be patient and the numbers change. I landed a lot during training at John Wayne on 19L, which is now 20L. And yes, I landed on the runway, not the taxiway. :)

I had the weird idea of landing at every public airport in the USA. I think I figured out how long it would take me. Dont remember how many airports there were. Ive never heard of anyone doing it.

I have managed to land on every runway in my state.

Last edited:
I have never (as far as I can tell/remember) landed on 15, 18, 19 or 35
Apparently you've landed on 33, 36, 1 and 17. Can you make return trips to those airports on calm wind days?

I've landed at exactly 4 airports, 4 runways, and 5 directions.

16 and 34 @ u42
17 and 35 @ tvy
13 @ pvu
35 @ slc

OK, but how many taxiways by letters have you landed, er, I mean taxied on?
You know, like A, B, C etc....

:popcorn:

I've landed at exactly 4 airports, 4 runways, and 5 directions.

16 and 34 @ u42
17 and 35 @ tvy
13 @ pvu
35 @ slc

How do you land 5 directions on 4 runways? Pull a Harrison Ford?

FYI, 16 and 34 might be the same pavement, but they are two different runways.

How do you land 5 directions on 4 runways? Pull a Harrison Ford?

FYI, 16 and 34 might be the same pavement, but they are two different runways.

I was thinking in terms of runway 16/34 being one.

So I've landed 6 runways, 5 directions.

only 31 to go.

This is the truth! Although, don't forget good ol' 16/34 at Guthrie (GOK), Russ! :biggrin:

Certainly the norm to match the wind sweeping down the plains, but you can get a few more over in Muskogee and Tulsa:

13/31 and 4/22 at KMKO
1/19 and 13/31 at KRVS
8/26 at KTUL

One either needs a VERY good memory or a detailed logbook. I don't have either.
But should I fall ill one day with nothing else to do, I would be curious to go through my logs and memory to see how close to the full 360 I am (I assume I have not landed on all numbers yet).
I agree, useless but fun statistic. :)

What I have is a detailed spreadsheet, listing all airports that I've been to. Not sure if I listed the runway used, though . . . Last I remember, it was 97 or 98 different fields. I only list the first visit to each field, date, hours, runway length but probably not runway number.

19/35? I'm just picking nits here, but you mean 19/01, correct? Or 17/35? Although, I would love to see the odd shape of a 19/35-oriented runway! :rofl:

I landed on 18 in Alaska. Then took off on 24. There is only one runway there, a private runway, and yes, it was that bent. It is a one way in, one way out runway.

OK, but how many taxiways by letters have you landed, er, I mean taxied on?
You know, like A, B, C etc....:popcorn:

I have landed and taken off from a few parallels, that is, taxiways....Usually there was just one runway at the airport and something was going on, like re-paving the runway, or a disabled plane on the runway.

The trick is, have you landed on all 108 possibilities??
1-36 L-C-R

Your profile says you're in Reno. Browsing around www.vfrmap.com, I see that within 45nm of KRNO you can get
15 at N58, 18 at KTVL, 19 at O43 and 35 at M45

KTVL is tough this time of year and N58 is in terrible condition. I landed there once on 33 in a rental 172 with a CFI during training. I would never land my own plane there unless I was on fire and then I'd have to think about it. ;)

Most every runway around here is 14/32, 16/34, or 17/35.

Just went up to OKC this week. KHSD is published as 35 but painted 36. Can I claim both for that one?

Back