KLN89B vs modern equipment

Mjg2011

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mjg2011
My 141 school changed aircraft for instrument training. We used to use a 172R (kln 89b) for instrument and a 172S g1000 and piper arrow after for commercial but now we use the s model for everything. It’s a good aircraft but I was the last class to use the r model for instrument. What do you guys think about TAA aircraft for instrument? I might just not be a fan because I had to actually know how track a radial rather than line up a magenta diamond but I am curious what you all think. I guess the goal is to prepare students for the airlines but maybe we should start with the basics. At least I can finally say “back in my day” to students.

I like my old KLN but truth is you are probably better off training with more modern equipment. They do similar things and have surprisingly similar menus structure. The big difference is I have to do a lot more button pushing and knob turning to get out what I need which can divert your attention.

I believe the G1000 includes a VOR/LOC/GS receiver, so that should allow tracking of a radial (without the magenta line?) if desired.
I'm not always a fan of technology, but I will embrace anything that makes flying safer and contributes to improving situational awareness.
Provided I can afford it. :D

Seriously, my view is you want to use everything available to you in the airplane. Everything. Not just the GPS.

I believe the G1000 includes a VOR/LOC/GS receiver, so that should allow tracking of a radial (without the magenta line?) if desired.
I'm not always a fan of technology, but I will embrace anything that makes flying safer and contributes to improving situational awareness.
Provided I can afford it. :D

Seriously, my view is you want to use everything available to you in the airplane. Everything. Not just the GPS.
Cue the GPS jamming deniers. :D

I have used a KLN-89B for years, but let's face it, it's days are numbered. With that said if works for VFR tool, and the good thing if yours goes out just pick up another for low cost and slide it in.

What makes you think you won't be asked to track a radial in a G1000 aircraft?

an unfortunate number of people think a TAA replaces learning with technology. That's their problem. You actually need to learn more than with legacy equipment to be competent under IFR.

GPS jamming doesn't justify avoiding GPS, but it does suggest a need to have alternate means of navigation.
Yes. Since I do not deny GPS jamming, we are in agreement. A GPS jamming denier would say that VOR/LOC/GS receiver is not worth using/having. :)

He said "magenta diamond", the ground track indicator on the DG. I'm not sure it can be turned off.

You can demonstrate how to track without the magenta diamond (ground track marker) when you do partial panel exercises. I find partial panel in a TAA is quite different from partial panel in the old days - yes, you still have a fully functioning attitude indicator in the TAA's partial panel (luxury!), but what you lose when you turn off the PFD and MFD is more data than students ever had to begin with in an old-fashioned cockpit.

- Martin

Back