KLN89B vs modern equipment

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by Mjg2011, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Mjg2011

Mjg2011 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mjg2011
    My 141 school changed aircraft for instrument training. We used to use a 172R (kln 89b) for instrument and a 172S g1000 and piper arrow after for commercial but now we use the s model for everything. It’s a good aircraft but I was the last class to use the r model for instrument. What do you guys think about TAA aircraft for instrument? I might just not be a fan because I had to actually know how track a radial rather than line up a magenta diamond but I am curious what you all think. I guess the goal is to prepare students for the airlines but maybe we should start with the basics. At least I can finally say “back in my day” to students.

2. Grum.Man

Grum.Man En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    I like my old KLN but truth is you are probably better off training with more modern equipment. They do similar things and have surprisingly similar menus structure. The big difference is I have to do a lot more button pushing and knob turning to get out what I need which can divert your attention.

midlifeflyer and Mjg2011 like this.
  3. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    I believe the G1000 includes a VOR/LOC/GS receiver, so that should allow tracking of a radial (without the magenta line?) if desired.
    I'm not always a fan of technology, but I will embrace anything that makes flying safer and contributes to improving situational awareness.
    Provided I can afford it. :D

Seriously, my view is you want to use everything available to you in the airplane. Everything. Not just the GPS.

4. asicer

asicer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    Cue the GPS jamming deniers. :D

5. djmcfall

djmcfall Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doug
    I have used a KLN-89B for years, but let's face it, it's days are numbered. With that said if works for VFR tool, and the good thing if yours goes out just pick up another for low cost and slide it in.

6. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    What makes you think you won't be asked to track a radial in a G1000 aircraft?

an unfortunate number of people think a TAA replaces learning with technology. That's their problem. You actually need to learn more than with legacy equipment to be competent under IFR.

Tarheelpilot likes this.
  7. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    GPS jamming doesn't justify avoiding GPS, but it does suggest a need to have alternate means of navigation.

Mason likes this.
  8. asicer

asicer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    Yes. Since I do not deny GPS jamming, we are in agreement. A GPS jamming denier would say that VOR/LOC/GS receiver is not worth using/having. :)

Palmpilot likes this.
  9. RussR

RussR Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Russ
    He said "magenta diamond", the ground track indicator on the DG. I'm not sure it can be turned off.

10. Martin Pauly

Martin Pauly Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    You can demonstrate how to track without the magenta diamond (ground track marker) when you do partial panel exercises. I find partial panel in a TAA is quite different from partial panel in the old days - yes, you still have a fully functioning attitude indicator in the TAA's partial panel (luxury!), but what you lose when you turn off the PFD and MFD is more data than students ever had to begin with in an old-fashioned cockpit.

- Martin