Kit storage time

Hector Parra

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hector Parra
Hi folks. I want to build a plane someday (not decided on the brand yet) but was wondering for how long can the crates be stored?. Since kit prices are always coming up, I'm considering to order now and store it for a 3-5 year period. Is that too much? What could be the risk of storing for that long? I'm guessing that electronics (cables mainly, as I'll be ordering avionics only when I'm ready to build) may suffer a little. But what about metal, aluminium, etc?

Thanks in advance

First my recommendation is do not buy any avionics or an engine until you actually need them. As for parts and raw stock storage, the biggest concern is corrosion and vermin. Parts tend to come wrapped in either paper or plastic and leaving parts in those wrappings can possibly attract and hold moisture as well as attracting critters looking for a nice home or a bathroom. Also for sheet aluminum that comes with the plastic wrapping, the adhesive tends to become more stickier with age making later removal a real bear. If you do buy anything, I'd remove as much of the packing material as you can as you inventory it and then put it back in the crates for storage. If you buy an engine, make sure it's pickled for long term storage IAW the manufacturer's directions. As for electronics, I'd store that where you have temp and humidity control, like inside your house.

Last edited:
Not to mention kit manufacturers tend to make improvements and it might be better to have the latest available. However some kit mfg are 1 to 2 years out on delivery anyway.

Adhesives tend to have shelf-lives, too. Trying to use 20-year-old epoxy may lead to issues.

Todd mentioned the corrosion and vermin issues that might arise. Another issue is the storage methods themselves. Someone may lay a roll of fiberglass on a couple of shelf supports. Over time, the roll's weight will cause the supports to dig into the roll. Or someone could just lean the roll into a corner of the garage...where the bottom end gets mashed, and potentially slurps up any moisture on the floor.

Ron Wanttaja

I'm considering to order now and store it for a 3-5 year period. Is that too much? What could be the risk of storing for that long? I'm guessing that electronics (cables mainly, as I'll be ordering avionics only when I'm ready to build) may suffer a little. But what about metal, aluminium, etc?
Metal or composite?

With metal you would need to think about corrosion. How is the humidity where the kit would be stored? If it's low then you shouldn't have a problem. If composite, that's a whole different ballgame. Epoxies definitely have a shelf life even stored in recommended conditions. Rolls of fiberglass or CF need to be stored properly to avoid the problems mentioned above. And any pre-built parts either need to be stored away from sunlight or have to be painted with a UV blocking primer. I looked at a Velocity kit where the wings had been stored outside for some period of time and were in pretty bad shape.

IMHO, the biggest drawback is any improvements won't be included in your kit and you may have to pay extra to implement them if it's even possible to do so.

Heck, if you go with a Van's kit, you probably won't get them until you're ready to start building anyway.

I kid, I kid.

Sort of.

Wait. Sit on a kit for a few years and spend a couple more building it and you’ll have a 2 or 3 generations old airplane before you fly it the first time. As for storing it? No problems at all if you keep it dry.

Attachments

• IMG_2121.jpeg
    IMG_2121.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
There is also the issue of expensive cutting-edge tech becoming the inexpensive old stuff on your dime.

Buy it, store it, then several years later you can sell it for pennies on the dollar.

Buy it, store it, then several years later you can sell it for pennies on the dollar.

That is kit dependent. For example, RV kits generally re-sell for pretty much what the original owner bought them for. This is especially true if a particular kit new from the factory has a backorder.

Who that’s answered has bought and built a kit?
I have. My RV-10 build spanned 9 years so I had components laying around for years to include avionics and my engine.

Last edited:
I got to thinking about my earlier comment. I prefer my Cub to the newer revision. Newer versions aren’t always better. If I bought my engine today the lead time is three years. That would be a problem. G3X Touch lead times haven’t been fast lately, either. Guys gathering parts need to pay attention to lead times for components!

I bought 3 parts of the kit and built 1 and waited a really long time for the others....

Built a Sonex kit that took about 2-1/2 years. One caveat I'd give is that many of the aluminum parts in a kit will have a plastic film on it to protect it. If that film stays on there too long, getting it removed can be frustrating. I didn't have that issue but others have ...

I bought a 20 YO Challenger II kit that had very little work done on it. If you account for general inflation in the economy, or compare to the current price for one from the factory, I paid pennies on the dollar. I am the third owner of that kit and know a little bit about both that came before me, as well as the dealer who sold it to the first guy. First guy took the big hit, second guy still lost a third of the smaller amount that he paid.

Not for a kit, but I'm doing this with some parts. An opportunity came up to buy a newly made + rare parts, but I won't be ready to install for 2 - 4 years. I've wrapped everything in plastic, added some WD-40 to the bags, and put them in the heavy-duty black+yellow costco plastic bins. Should be critter proof but still a little worried about moisture tbh.

Back