Killed someone in Bravo - ASRS?

narchee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Long Blinker
I was flying in the LAX Bravo area on a 260 heading and 6500 feet. The right door popped open and I lunged to grab the door but instead pushed my passenger out of the aircraft. Should I file an ASRS report? Will this provide me with the protection from prosecution or should I just keep quiet about this?

Did you make sure the falling body did not pose danger to persons or property?

Sec. 91.15 — Dropping objects.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

Same thing happened to my friend D.B. Cooper.
Sad deal all around.

I was flying in the LAX Bravo area on a 260 heading and 6500 feet. The right door popped open and I lunged to grab the door but instead pushed my passenger out of the aircraft. Should I file an ASRS report? Will this provide me with the protection from prosecution or should I just keep quiet about this?

Yes, file the ASRS, tell them you couldn't prevent their suicide.:D

Gah! you beat me to it.

You can toss anything out, as long as it doesn't do damage to anyone or anything below. I don't think being in the B makes a diff as far as the FAA cares.

Now, the local sheriff might have an interest in a falling body.

I think the ASRS needs to be on file before the body hits the ground. Go ahead and file it the day before and you should be good.

Were you trying to join the MHC while this happened? IFR or VFR? We need details..

Were you trying to join the MHC while this happened? IFR or VFR? We need details..

I am guessing he (do we know which he/she?...we have to know how he/she identifies...correct?) was VFR...6500 feet is a clue...

Hope the pax had a Bravo clearance before entering.

Only if you're Lawn Chair Larry.

Are you sure you killed them? Did you land and locate the body (to at least check their pockets for loose change) and verify they were dead?

I ask because of this FAA research report "Human Survivability of Extreme Impacts in Free-Fall":

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/research/med_humanfacs/oamtechreports/1960s/media/am63-15.pdf

attachment.php

Attachments

• human_survivability.JPG
    human_survivability.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 1,235
Good question, falls are survivable, better watch your back, they may hunt you down now that you think they're dead....:lol:

Well, yes, the falling body being a person could be said to have posed "a danger to persons or property" namely itself. The act of falling presumably would cause a danger to that person even though the falling body of the regulation is, in fact, that person.

So my takeaway is I should file an ASRS report. I shall describe the falling body as a "falling body" not as a passenger and reference this regulation.

Would you log it as two separate flights? It might look suspicious if you log a 1 hour flight as 0.5 solo and you weren't a skydiving operation.

File the report. The data will be helpful in finding ways to prevent idiots from losing their passengers in the future. Otherwise keep quiet.

The key is to write up the report in a way that completely exonerates you. Ideally it would remain anonymous, but that would require it to be written in a way that does not raise the "accident" or "criminal activity" flags. Not too big a deal if it does because the real purpose of the report is to help provide a defense, but it's better if its disclosure is a strategic (or tactical, in case ADS-B NexRad was a factor) decision by the attorney handing your murder or manslaughter charge.

You'll want help in writing the report. So my advice is to hire a good criminal/aviation attorney and plunk down the $100M retainer as soon as possible.

But more importantly, did you hear the magic words, "Cleared into the Class Bravo?' If not you're in real trouble!

Just make sure your passenger has a handheld radio to call for clearance... I am assuming you were above the Bravo when he umm.. Fell out.

Did you get his pro rata share of the cost of the flight first?

Worse yet if it was the passengers plane and you did not pay for fuel you are now ferrying his plane and not paying. I hope you have a commercial license.

Or marry his widow, then you get all his money and his plane...

If you're cleared to enter bravo, does that automatically transfer to passengers leaving the plane while still in bravo? Or do they need to get their own separate clearance. I think your friend needs to fill an ASRS form.

Was the passenger on a treadmill? I'm certain a treadmill fits into this story somewhere...

As long as you did a W&B before the flight both with the passenger and without, there's no need for the ASRS. Of course that might also be good evidence for the prosecution.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back