KICKOFF!!

Agreed. We need a new amendment:

A robust aviation transportation system being essential to the health and prosperity of a free republic, the right of the people to keep and fly aircraft shall not be infringed.

must resist....

must resist...

must resist....

Oh boy.... it is time to watch grown men play with wrinkled leather balls again.!!

I still think pee wee football is great.... after every play the parents run out onto the field to pick the kids up off the ground.

Having kids at both UNC and App State, I'm loving this!

Oh well. Man, they fought right to the end, though, didn’t they?
Wow! What a game! I'm a ACC guy usually but in this case my underdog leanings ruled the day. Would have been a fantastic win for App.

Oh well, so much for GT’s opener against Clemson. If we only had a head coach and an offensive line and a kicker we might be able to rise to mediocrity....

We will see you in November. Be worried, very worried!

Last year I was sure it was going to be another 50something-20something score, like it had been for the past 20 years. I'm less confident in my prognostications.

Oh well, so much for GT’s opener against Clemson. If we only had a head coach and an offensive line and a kicker we might be able to rise to mediocrity....
I agree, but I just couldn't give your post a "like'. :(

How many "false starts" did we get charged with? How many missed field goals?
Friends ask me how we can expect Ga. Tech to compete with the football factory colleges. Well, we did in the past so that excuse doesn't work.
Collins is on his fourth year as coach. He should have been able to develop something by now.

But hey, we play Western Carolina on Saturday. Maybe . . .

Friends ask me how we can expect Ga. Tech to compete with the football factory colleges. Well, we did in the past so that excuse doesn't work.
Collins is on his fourth year as coach. He should have been able to develop something by now.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it. College football is quickly turning into a semi-pro league which has sullied the very aspect which made it unique. May as well disenfranchise the teams and make a minor league system out of it.

:yeahthat:

That many false start penalties is a coaching problem. The stupidity with clock management at the end of the 2Q is a coaching problem. Being unable to recruit and train a kicker who can actually split the uprights is a coaching problem.

Collins has the poorest win rate of any full-time coach in the entire history of GT. This is his 4th “rebuilding” year. By now he has a completely different starting line-up than he started with. The team’s performance is all on him now.

I don’t expect GT to have a top-10 team year after year. It’s an engineering school, and it’s hard to recruit outstanding players who can also pass differential equations and thermodynamics. But Tech has had top teams in the past, winning 4 national championships and I forget how many division championships. We can do better.

Collins hasn’t won more than 3 games in any given year, and last night’s TD was the first one in 11 quarters of football.

I’m pretty disgusted.

...and it’s hard to recruit outstanding players who can also pass differential equations and thermodynamics.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention - I think Collins’ abandonment of the option offense, which had worked so well for Paul Johnson, was a strategic mistake. When you have a weaker offense, using the option can keep you in the hunt against stronger defensive teams.

A well-rehearsed option offense, coupled with a solid defense, can make a team with recruiting difficulties competitive. You might not win a national championship with it, but you’ll have winning seasons, maybe a divisional championship now and then, and some successful bowl outcomes.

Johnson proved the effectiveness of this approach at GT and at the USN academy. Collins would have been smart to stick with it.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention - I think Collins’ abandonment of the option offense, which had worked so well for Paul Johnson, was a strategic mistake. When you have a weaker offense, using the option can keep you in the hunt against stronger defensive teams.

A well-rehearsed option offense, coupled with a solid defense, can make a team with recruiting difficulties competitive. You might not win a national championship with it, but you’ll have winning seasons, maybe a divisional championship now and then, and some successful bowl outcomes.

Johnson proved the effectiveness of this approach at GT and at the USN academy. Collins would have been smart to stick with it.

Eh, I'll disagree with you on that point. The option offense, while exciting to watch and wax nostalgic about, just isn't generally competitive with more modern offensive schemes. It was epic in the 70's/80's (as an OU guy especially) because it was a bit more novel at the time and tough to defend. I think you have to adapt to modern defenses and having an offense that can flex a bit more between run/pass than the usual option-offense is a better tool. The play-action and spread offenses are what many high school kids grew up running, so getting recruits that understand option-FB is tougher to do.

Eh, I'll disagree with you on that point. The option offense, while exciting to watch and wax nostalgic about, just isn't generally competitive with more modern offensive schemes. It was epic in the 70's/80's (as an OU guy especially) because it was a bit more novel at the time and tough to defend. I think you have to adapt to modern defenses and having an offense that can flex a bit more between run/pass than the usual option-offense is a better tool. The play-action and spread offenses are what many high school kids grew up running, so getting recruits that understand option-FB is tougher to do.

Maybe, but it worked well for Paul Johnson at GT. Ever since Collins dropped it we've been getting killed.

Tech's last winning season was 2018, Johnson's last year. We went 7 and 6 that year, including wins against UNC, Duke, Va Tech, and Miami. Not a championship team but still respectable. Since Collins came and made changes, we haven't won more than 3 games in a season. Heck, we went 11 quarters without even scoring a TD! Johnson got GT four division titles and one ACC title. Collins' record has been abysmal.

I agree more modern offenses work better, if you can recruit the talent to execute them. IMHO, when you have a weaker team, the option is the better choice and can be effective.

Maybe, but it worked well for Paul Johnson at GT. Ever since Collins dropped it we've been getting killed.

Tech's last winning season was 2018, Johnson's last year. We went 7 and 6 that year, including wins against UNC, Duke, Va Tech, and Miami. Not a championship team but still respectable. Since Collins came and made changes, we haven't won more than 3 games in a season. Heck, we went 11 quarters without even scoring a TD! Johnson got GT four division titles and one ACC title. Collins' record has been abysmal.

I agree more modern offenses work better, if you can recruit the talent to execute them. IMHO, when you have a weaker team, the option is the better choice and can be effective.

Well, do you want to be a .500 ball club with the option or a .750 ball club with a more typical offense? I don't know that Collins is the solution for GT, but I'd guess that the days of the option as a base offensive scheme are pretty much gone. Air Force is about the only other team I can think of (runs the triple option more exclusively) and are very hot/cold in terms of winning % in the Mountain West. I wouldn't doubt it if Collins ends up getting ousted with another bad performance, but sometimes its tough to find a coach worth his salt that will stick around once he finds success when it comes to some of the non-blue blood teams.

Well, do you want to be a .500 ball club with the option or a .750 ball club with a more typical offense? I don't know that Collins is the solution for GT, but I'd guess that the days of the option as a base offensive scheme are pretty much gone. Air Force is about the only other team I can think of (runs the triple option more exclusively) and are very hot/cold in terms of winning % in the Mountain West. I wouldn't doubt it if Collins ends up getting ousted with another bad performance, but sometimes its tough to find a coach worth his salt that will stick around once he finds success when it comes to some of the non-blue blood teams.

Right now we’re a .230 team and have been for three consecutive years, so becoming .500 would be welcome. It’s pretty hard to recruit decent players with a .230 record.

Air Force runs the option for the same reason GT did, and the same reason Navy did when Johnson was there. Those schools, by the nature of what they are, don’t get many NFL hopefuls.

Right now we’re a .230 team and have been for three consecutive years, so becoming .500 would be welcome. It’s pretty hard to recruit decent players with a .230 record.

Air Force runs the option for the same reason GT did, and the same reason Navy did when Johnson was there. Those schools, by the nature of what they are, don’t get many NFL hopefuls.

Could be worse. You could be Nebraska, lol.

I was gonna make a rude retort, but…

I live in Nebraska.

Sigh.
I won't crow too much until the Sooners get out of Lincoln with a "W". OU has a ton of good stuff going for them, but it's still a new offense/offensive coordinator and a new HC/defensive ideology. Lots of adjustments and trial by fire to happen as the season gets going.

Can you imagine had they been victorious last week too?! I've always had a soft spot for A&M. They were the only school who attempted to recruit me :)

Running back. The Washington Post has an HS preview article each year naming talent that might be fun to watch. I had 1000 yard rushing seasons every year so I was mentioned. Everyone I know in that article got a letter from A&M. I thought of walking on at BC but all thoughts of that were dashed on my first day when I was in the lunch line behind Mike Ruth. Biggest human I had ever seen. I immediately realized I just didn't have the size.

Last edited:
Damn, Sun Belt Conference showing up!

I took Hawaii and the points to win my bet.

Lol, well, at least Scott Frost can't hurt you anymore, aside from the sting from that contract buyout.
They should have waited until after 10/1 and saved the $7.5 mil. I mean, what’s another few losses at this point? The season is another write off at this point anyway. Listen, I understand that sometimes people just crash and burn, but we could give free college education to most of the state for years with what we’ve paid the last few football coaches to go away. And it just. Keeps. Getting. Worse.

They should have waited until after 10/1 and saved the $7.5 mil. I mean, what’s another few losses at this point? The season is another write off at this point anyway. Listen, I understand that sometimes people just crash and burn, but we could give free college education to most of the state for years with what we’ve paid the last few football coaches to go away. And it just. Keeps. Getting. Worse.

How much money does football bring it?

How much money does football bring it?

I haven't seen any in my hands, so zero?

The only decent streets in this town are around the stadium, not even the streets to the hotels Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc at the airport are worth a damn. The wheel tax in this city sucks, where the money goes is anyone's guess.

I'd imagine a booster or two forced their hand on it. Since the season may already be lackluster, may as well start the coaching-search early rather than doing the awkward "dead man walking" routine until Oct 1. I do agree that it's an enormous amount of money to give up just for the sake of not waiting 3 weeks. I keep seeing people referencing Urban Meyer for Nebraska and I hope that never happens, that guy is a bad fit for the Huskers. Going to be a tough row to hoe for anyone who comes into town, but I'd imagine they are going to want a big hire with a proven head coaching record.

I haven't seen any in my hands, so zero?

The only decent streets in this town are around the stadium, not even the streets to the hotels Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc at the airport are worth a damn. The wheel tax in this city sucks, where the money goes is anyone's guess.

$96 million in revenue and $32 million spent for a $64 million surplus in 2019. So the bent (I know it wasn't you) of spend the money elsewhere doesn't really work if you eliminate the revenue to begin with.

$96 million in revenue and $32 million spent for a $64 million surplus in 2019. So the bent (I know it wasn't you) of spend the money elsewhere doesn't really work if you eliminate the revenue to begin with.
Numerically you’re right. But assuming one is going to get rid of the coach and not the program, I can think of better ways of spending fifteen million bucks (or even $7.5M) than giving it to what has turned out to be the coach with the worst record in at least 60 years.

Yeah, I know. Contracts, attracting talent, blah blah blah. Still sticks in one’s craw. Guarantee if you or I produced the worst result anyone living could remember, we wouldn’t walk away with more than enough to never have to work another day in our lives, and still be able to give a couple mil to charity. Or spend it on hookers and blow.

Back