Katamarino's Round the World flight

Opps. I missed the Bali to Australia crossing then got lost. And yes, when I typed "how did you get there" I did think about the "by airplane" responses but I just thought, maybe this one time, the low hanging fruit would remain unpicked. Ha.

Opps. I missed the Bali to Australia crossing then got lost. And yes, when I typed "how did you get there" I did think about the "by airplane" responses but I just thought, maybe this one time, the low hanging fruit would remain unpicked. Ha.

In your dreams. :D This is POA!

I see that our @Katamarino learned the "Aussie Salute" courtesy of the bush flies he encountered.

Back in 1997, my then wife-to-be and I took a two week trip to Australia. As part of the trip, we flew into Alice Springs, stayed one night in a resort that was in the middle of nowhere, then made it into Yulara, and visited Ayers Rock/Uluru. Back then, it was acceptable to climb Ayers Rock, but discouraged. There was a stout chain in stanchions that would get us to where we could hike up, so we did that anyway. When you got to the top, if you looked on one direction you could see the small town of Yulara, any other direction you would see nothing but red dirt and desert shrub, completely undisturbed.

My wife got an "I climbed Ayers Rock" T shirt, we still have it and my daughter now wears it, even though she hasn't climbed it and never will, since climbing it is now prohibited. I'm still somewhat amazed that climbing it was a common thing to do. Without that chain it would have been very difficult to get up it, and if you lost your grip while partially up it was going to pretty much be game over, as I don't see how you could self arrest.

My wife and I were on a small tour group to Uluru and other places, and there was a young mother with a 10 year old, who wanted to climb the Rock. She was afraid of height. I was debating whether I was willing to try, a little bit old for the challenge, but did want to go up, my wife was not, period. When the debate between the 10 YO became strained, I volunteered to go with him. Happiness for all!

When we arrived at the parking lot, the attendant advised us that there was a possibility of lightning, and a certainty of strong winds, the rock was closed! The kid was disappointed, his Mom thrilled, I was relieved, my wife even more relieved. Saved by the weather.

The flight from Cairns to Alice Springs, conducted at relatively low altitude, I had my eyes glued to the window, and for 45 minutes, there was NO SIGN OF CIVILIZED ACTIVITY. No fences, No houses No water wind mills, No roads. Period. Later, I saw a school bus, windmill, small green patch, and signs that seasonally, there might be sheep there, but presently empty. There were several school busses and mills as we continued, and I learned that they drag old broken down busses in for seasonal shelter for herdsmen. Life is tough in the outback.

The flight will unfortunately be delayed by a couple of months, and a large stack of money.

That sucks, but at least it seems you are in a place that can do repairs, not out in the bush.

The flight will unfortunately be delayed by a couple of months, and a large stack of money.

When and how did you discover this? From reading your blog, it didn’t appear you’d been having any issues?

And because I am an idiot...what are we looking at?

Man..... at least it was discovered on the ground and not over miles of open water....

And because I am an idiot...what are we looking at?

The first picture is a magnet with metal pieces on it that you do not want to find in your engine.

The second picture is of a well worn camshaft lobe.

I saw the same thing:( Result: Factory overhauled IO-360 now waiting to be installed. BUMMER!

When and how did you discover this? From reading your blog, it didn’t appear you’d been having any issues?

I asked for a thorough engine check once in Sydney, as there was a good shop. They found compression 28/80 on one cylinder and pulled it for replacement. They saw the cam condition, and cut open the oil filter to confirm; that metal came from 3 hours of tacho time.

I asked for a thorough engine check once in Sydney, as there was a good shop. They found compression 28/80 on one cylinder and pulled it for replacement. They saw the cam condition, and cut open the oil filter to confirm; that metal came from 3 hours of tacho time.

So sorry to hear, glad you caught it sooner rather than later and while at a reliable shop.

Especially as you look at his next legs. Lots of open water.

As a US registered airplane, the work will be signed off by someone not a US A&P. Will that cause any problem/questions at the next annual in the US?

Wow! Glad you caught it!
So 3 tach-hours ago was the last oil change and the filter was clean then?
What are the next steps for the repair? (I don't know much about engines... trying to learn...)

Are you physically in Oz now, or was this a "hate to be calling you at this hour, but..." kind of experience, where you'll coordinate things from afar?

the work will be signed off by someone not a US A&P.
FYI: In this case, it can only be signed off by either a certified FAA A&P or FAA Repair Station. No other option. CASA LAMEs can't sign work on N reg aircraft. However, there are a number of FAA CSRs and A&Ps in the Land Down Under.

Last edited:
I thought you had a PPONK rebuilt engine done prior to your Alaska trip. I know you have a number of hours on the engine, but could it still be in warranty given the relatively short time in service?

I thought you had a PPONK rebuilt engine done prior to your Alaska trip. I know you have a number of hours on the engine, but could it still be in warranty given the relatively short time in service?

It's a PPonk engine, but done by the previous owner in 2014. The shop was Aero Engines of Winchester, Virginia. I contacted them to see if they could assist at all, particularly given that the parts they used clearly had quality issues (only 300 hours on supposedly new cylinders, that turn out to be worn out too wide to overhaul, and a large chunk should not be breaking off the side of a cam lobe, no matter if there's pitting or not).

They couldn't care less and told me so. Said they couldn't even find records over 2 years old. Seems they had a relatively recent change of ownership and the decent people who used to run it have moved on. Certainly not a shop I'll use in future, or steer anyone to.

Seems like it’s time to get that diesel you were looking at! :)

Perhaps, if Soloy ever actually get round to STCing the damn thing! It's been so long it's starting to smell very strongly of a failed project.

Wow! Glad you caught it!
So 3 tach-hours ago was the last oil change and the filter was clean then?

Right!

What are the next steps for the repair? (I don't know much about engines... trying to learn...)

Are you physically in Oz now, or was this a "hate to be calling you at this hour, but..." kind of experience, where you'll coordinate things from afar?

The engine has 575 hours since (apparently bad quality) overhaul. Engine is being torn down for inspection, and everything that needs it will be replaced. Camshaft and lifters for sure. Probably a new oil cooler in case this one is contaminated. I'm getting 6 new Superior Millennium cylinders to replace the crappy Continental ones, while I'm at it; 2 have already failed, other 4 are likely to be close behind. I'll also get the mags overhauled as they both have 575 hours on them.

I was actually in Pittsburgh when I got the "good news"!

Then you have to fly over the pacific with a new engine? How would you break this in?

Said they couldn't even find records over 2 years old.
FYI: A CRS is only required to keep those records for 2 years and most will purge them as needed.

Unfortunate on your engine. But better now then finding it as you cross the International Date Line! Perhaps PPonk might offer some assistance if you put a decal on the side of the aircraft for the remainder of the trip? Good luck with the repair.

So glad you found this over land and near civilization vs out over big water! Totally sucks though. You would think a continental at 500hrs with no other issues would be totally broken in and just mag or low compression issues for the rest of its life.

Will it still be a PPonk when completed? Are there any other older hoses or sensor wires you'll replace while they are in there? Did the low compression on the one cylinder have anything to do with the cam? Last question - did you even notice the low compression during run-up, climb, cruise or on the engine monitor?

If you want to fly me down to Australia and pay for the avgas I'll help you break it in :)

We bought our Skylane with 12hrs on all new Millenium Cylinders. At 250hrs we have had one compression under 60 (57) and the rest have been low 70's with a few high 60's. The only comment our a&p had was that they used stock rocker cover gaskets which just started at about 200hrs back so we switched to something different that he recommended (some type of rubber? - they were like $14/each vs $5/each).

Total loved the Singapore pics. Its been way too many years. I still remember the Merlion, Orchard Street, the Hawker's Stalls and even Sentosa with its little tiny beach with a oil boom about 15ft off shore! Looks like a lot changed. I remember thinking the Night Zoo was really cool. Loved hanging out at the Boat Caye (or whatever it is called) down near/below the financial high rise buildings. Pepper crab and drunken prawns at East Coast Seafood :)

Someone asked about English signs on a lot of your trip. English is the official business language of Singapore even though its probably 70% Chinese people.

So glad you found this over land and near civilization vs out over big water! Totally sucks though. You would think a continental at 500hrs with no other issues would be totally broken in and just mag or low compression issues for the rest of its life.

Will it still be a PPonk when completed? Are there any other older hoses or sensor wires you'll replace while they are in there? Did the low compression on the one cylinder have anything to do with the cam? Last question - did you even notice the low compression during run-up, climb, cruise or on the engine monitor?

If you want to fly me down to Australia and pay for the avgas I'll help you break it in :)

We bought our Skylane with 12hrs on all new Millenium Cylinders. At 250hrs we have had one compression under 60 (57) and the rest have been low 70's with a few high 60's. The only comment our a&p had was that they used stock rocker cover gaskets which just started at about 200hrs back so we switched to something different that he recommended (some type of rubber? - they were like $14/each vs $5/each).

Total loved the Singapore pics. Its been way too many years. I still remember the Merlion, Orchard Street, the Hawker's Stalls and even Sentosa with its little tiny beach with a oil boom about 15ft off shore! Looks like a lot changed. I remember thinking the Night Zoo was really cool. Loved hanging out at the Boat Caye (or whatever it is called) down near/below the financial high rise buildings. Pepper crab and drunken prawns at East Coast Seafood :)

Someone asked about English signs on a lot of your trip. English is the official business language of Singapore even though its probably 70% Chinese people.

All I remember were the clean streets and the $16 USD beers. Well okay I remember the other stuff too, but that place is over the top expen$ive.

I'll fly 100+ hours around Australia and New Zealand before heading out over the really watery bits.
I know a guy in NSW with a Virgin 747 sim and a pretty nice fleet. You should try to link up while you're down there

Yes, it'll still be a PPonk! I've asked the shop to check everything and if there's anything worth replacing, do it. I want to err on the side of caution. Apparently there's a couple of ADs that need doing, such as magnetic flux inspection of the crankshaft.

6 new Superior Millennium cylinders will go on, too - 2 of the crappy CMI cylinders have already failed and I can't imagine the other 4 are far behind. I'm told they're one of the top shops in Australia.

Cylinder and camshaft had no connection.

*However* - I spoke to the shop just now. They are finishing the tear down but say that the metal came from a failing starter adapter, not the camshaft. They've said that the camshaft can use a hand lap in two places but is otherwise fine to go back in to the engine and carry me to TBO, which was interesting.

...*However* - I spoke to the shop just now. They are finishing the tear down but say that the metal came from a failing starter adapter, not the camshaft. They've said that the camshaft can use a hand lap in two places but is otherwise fine to go back in to the engine and carry me to TBO, which was interesting.

Thankful you found that when you did, before the great Pacific crossing phase of your trip.

Re: Camshaft...Even with a piece missing off the side of the lobe? :confused: Or is that how Continental makes them? o_O

I'm going to ask them next time we speak. Maybe it's meant to look like that...

Weird that the engine could have issues this dire after working so flawlessly. I guess the things are built tough.

What looked dire initially seems to be primarily the starter adapter bearing shredding (caught very early, luckily) combined with camshaft photo that perhaps made it look worse than it is. The cylinder issues with Continental are known, so not a big surprise; I'm just using this opportunity to hopefully get ahead of them.

Back