Just wow

I honesty did not even know there was a thing between Cirrus pilots and others until after this thread had went on a bit. It was news to me. I have no problem with Cirrus drivers. I have a problem with dumbasses.

I've flown formation as well, in helicopters. But it was always planned, discussed and agreed. Not ad-hoc.

Did the arrow declare an emergency? I don't recall if he did or not. At any rate, whether he did or not, he clearly had it all under control before this guy decided to roll the camera and save the day.

He didn't

The Hero pilot said "The Arrow pilot didn't declare an emergency so I declared one for him"

...The Hero pilot said "The Arrow pilot didn't declare an emergency so I declared one for him"

Such arrogance.

My favorite quote from the Beechtalk thread:

As for being a good wingman to an aircraft in distress, I've spent a fair amount of time briefing and teaching it, and doing it on occasion. I've landed on another airplane's wing when I was NORDO and the situation warranted it. Most of the time when I was the chase ship, I was the "highly qualified instructor"... but I only offered assistance when it was requested or needed, since I knew the pilot in the emergency aircraft was qualified, and doing his best to sort the situation out. As a wingman, I was there to support when needed... to be a "force multiplier"... and not to be a distraction.

If a pilot in another aircraft that I didn't know joined up on me and starting telling me how to fly my aircraft in an emergency situation during a critical phase of flight (such as approaching High Key with a sick engine), I'd tell them "shake the stick if you've got the controls... otherwise, make a 180 degree turn and stay off of the radio". YMMV.

EDIT:
Unfortunately, there is not a place on this forum where we can discuss political issues, even with respect towards each other. I wish there was.

I've deleted my response as I do not mean this to hijack the thread nor turn it into a political debate.

Best place to talk politics is with a favorite beverage in hand and a campfire. Online really doesn’t do it. While we may be on opposite political spectrums I bet there is plenty of common ground. Online comments really highlight the 1s and 0s, the black and white. In real there’s a lot in between. I happen to like San Fran. Lots of cool stuff to see. Same with Seattle. My wife grew up in NYC. That place is to be avoided for a lot of reasons. Peace.

The "tailwheel shadow anomaly"... Nearly spit up my cranberry juice right there!

Loved this:

“Frankly, I was going to let it lie as being such a galactically bad display of airmanship, in my estimation, as to require no further comment from me. But who am I to resist the public clamor for piercing analysis which, in the end, I’ll concede is stating of the obvious.”

Spot on.

@SixPapaCharlie Were you paid for this instruction you provided to those pilots? Asking for a friend....

Does super man get paid for saving millions of people from impending doom?
NO. It is a thankless role but someone has to fill it.

This Chuted Crusader knows the work is its own reward.

Does super man get paid for saving millions of people from impending doom?
NO. It is a thankless role but someone has to fill it.

This Chuted Crusader knows the work is its own reward.
Superman is all one word and should be capitalized. But I guess you were just trying to show the relative importance to the Chuted Crusader. You could have used bold and larger type.

I am supposed to have a guy that comes behind me, checks for grammar and spelling, etc.

Super Cirrus Pilot and his trusty sidekick, Grammar Man!

images

He can also provide ground-based airspeed and glide path guidance if ASI/VASI/PAPI are inop or not available.

He can also provide ground-based airspeed and glide path guidance if ASI/VASI/PAPI are inop or not available.

Incredible. I know I learn the most when someone is constantly telling me what to do and when to do it. I’d last about 5 minutes in a plane with this guy.

I'm thinking in this current climate you should be saying "SUPERTHEY".

Kind of an interesting situation. I wonder how different it’d be if he wasn’t in a cirrus. Know what I mean?

Not trying to start anything, but if he was in a Mooney, or a Piper, or a Bo, I wonder how the different factions would act.

I can only speak for my n=1, but I assure you my aspersions of this poser have nothing to do with the happenstance he was doing it from a Cirrus. The angle that drew my interest to this thread wasn't the Cirrus, it was the appropriation and misapplication of certain military formation flight mannerisms and terminology endemic to military training circles. These indicators jumped out at me immediately and I became interested as we on this side have a vested interest not to make such unprofessional misapplication of airmanship, and thus lose credibility as military contributors to the avocation. It was furthermore no surprise to learn the dude has not in fact ever been a military pilot, which was both elating to me and immediately re-alarming at the same time.

I didn't note or recall the portion about him declaring an emergency on behalf of the other airplane. Again, that's another one straight out of the military UPT playbook when dealing with solo, unqualified, student formation students. This cat has either been trolling and/or appropriating a military acquaintance's anecdotes about their experience in military aviation, or the subject in question was a UPT student himself, washed out of military training, and is subsequently using his short exposure as a student to appropriate and misapply these procedures in his civilian flying.

Either way, from an FAA perspective, the declaration of an emergency on the non-participating aircraft's behalf is the final straw for me. The FSDO has got to get involved on that one, and the tower needs to get sucked into the process as well for enabling that breach of safety of flight. The non-consent on the part of the Arrow pilot to formation flying is an easy softball as it is, the declaration of an emergency for the non-participating aircraft is just the FSDO asleep at the wheel frankly, especially considering the spectacle they made of themselves when they diverted resources to accost 6PC (yes, different FSDOs, but the point stands).

At any rate, rest easy, I would make the same comments if the guy had been flying a Bo or a Piper.

Also... he hates Cirrus pilots. ;D

Again, joking aside, I think the Cirrus is a great marketing success. I'd love one, if they were priced lower. I don't find the capability of piston 4-6 seaters worth more than 85-90K as a matter of principle. That's what the utilitarian value of the activity is worth to me, which is why the almost total majority of these high priced 4-6 seater six-bangers are incompatible for me. I have the capacity of spending six figures on something, but I only do so when it is actually worth that to me; piston aircraft are not. I understand the *market does think so (*well, I'll digress since I can't touch socioeconomics on here) and that's their prerogative.

Again, this is about a bonehead, military impersonating charlatan, in a civil aircraft creating safety of flight breaches for non-participants, and needs to be called out.

At any rate, rest easy, I would make the same comments if the guy had been flying a Bo or a Piper.
I sincerely believe we all would. Yeah, some of us threw in the gratuitous tongue-in-cheek Cirrus joke for good measure but the fact a Cirrus pilot was the offender had nothing to do with our core thoughts on his poor decisions.

...Either way, from an FAA perspective, the declaration of an emergency on the non-participating aircraft's behalf is the final straw for me....
I don't recall hearing that on the LiveATC recording. If he said it, maybe it was an after-the-fact comment.

Though I do wonder if the alleged supportive comments on COPA would have turned against this pilot if it wasn't a Cirrus. I think that's what frustrates a lot of people with Cirrus owners, they seem to have a "can do no wrong" mentality.

Though I do wonder if the alleged supportive comments on COPA would have turned against this pilot if it wasn't a Cirrus. I think that's what frustrates a lot of people with Cirrus owners, they seem to have a "can do no wrong" mentality.

That is a great point. I can't speak for the specific facts regarding COPA since I don't have access, but your point is definitively noted. People do circle the wagons around their "kind" when it comes to that kind of "appeal to affiliation". It's not a totally unheard of defense mechanism. It's basically an offshoot of the common feeling of "I can criticize my family, but outsiders cannot".

Back