Just wow

That is a great point. I can't speak for the specific facts regarding COPA since I don't have access, but your point is definitively noted. People do circle the wagons around their "kind" when it comes to that kind of "appeal to affiliation". It's not a totally unheard of defense mechanism. It's basically an offshoot of the common feeling of "I can criticize my family, but outsiders cannot".

Ah yes, the Neidermeyer effect:

I can only speak for my n=1, but I assure you my aspersions of this poser have nothing to do with the happenstance he was doing it from a Cirrus. The angle that drew my interest to this thread wasn't the Cirrus, it was the appropriation and misapplication of certain military formation flight mannerisms and terminology endemic to military training circles. These indicators jumped out at me immediately and I became interested as we on this side have a vested interest not to make such unprofessional misapplication of airmanship, and thus lose credibility as military contributors to the avocation. It was furthermore no surprise to learn the dude has not in fact ever been a military pilot, which was both elating to me and immediately re-alarming at the same time.

I didn't note or recall the portion about him declaring an emergency on behalf of the other airplane. Again, that's another one straight out of the military UPT playbook when dealing with solo, unqualified, student formation students. This cat has either been trolling and/or appropriating a military acquaintance's anecdotes about their experience in military aviation, or the subject in question was a UPT student himself, washed out of military training, and is subsequently using his short exposure as a student to appropriate and misapply these procedures in his civilian flying.

Either way, from an FAA perspective, the declaration of an emergency on the non-participating aircraft's behalf is the final straw for me. The FSDO has got to get involved on that one, and the tower needs to get sucked into the process as well for enabling that breach of safety of flight. The non-consent on the part of the Arrow pilot to formation flying is an easy softball as it is, the declaration of an emergency for the non-participating aircraft is just the FSDO asleep at the wheel frankly, especially considering the spectacle they made of themselves when they diverted resources to accost 6PC (yes, different FSDOs, but the point stands).

At any rate, rest easy, I would make the same comments if the guy had been flying a Bo or a Piper.
I’m not seeing why him doing things similar to the military offends you so much. It’s not stolen valor. Nobody that doesn’t know the correct procedures has any clue that he’s botching a military procedure. He made things more dangerous, that’s all that matters. Even if he hadn’t been doing things that remind you of military procedures it would have been unsafe.

And just to explain how he probably became familiar with the procedures, I quote his third person entry on his website biography
He is currently a DOD contractor having worked previously with the US Naval Post Graduate School and all DOD branches.

I’m not seeing why him doing things similar to the military offends you so much. It’s not stolen valor.

We agree the guy is creating hardship, and that's ^^^^ what you're latching on? Perennial contrarians never found a tangent not to object to I suppose.

At any rate, for those of us who do recognize the trend, it can create a credibility problem when such appropriation is allowed to take hold. You can disagree with or dismiss the value of that assessment, it's a free Country and all that jazz. I did read the linkedin profile beforehand/had prior knowledge he was a civilian contractor teaching non-flying content at a postgraduate PME Navy school, again in matters that don't relate at all to military flight training.

In the end, we do arrive to the same conclusion (the guy is creating hardship), your tangent exception to my motivations notwithstanding. Happy 4th of July weekend.

We agree the guy is creating hardship, and that's ^^^^ what you're latching on? Perennial contrarians never found a tangent not to object to I suppose.

At any rate, for those of us who do recognize the trend, it can create a credibility problem when such appropriation is allowed to take hold. You can disagree with or dismiss the value of that assessment, it's a free Country and all that jazz. I did read the linkedin profile beforehand/had prior knowledge he was a civilian contractor teaching non-flying content at a postgraduate PME Navy school, again in matters that don't relate at all to military flight training.

In the end, we do arrive to the same conclusion (the guy is creating hardship), your tangent exception to my motivations notwithstanding. Happy 4th of July weekend.
I just thought it odd how much it seemed to be bothering you. Nobody is going to mistake that guy for a naval aviator, no need to worry.

I just thought it odd how much it seemed to be bothering you. Nobody is going to mistake that guy for a naval aviator, no need to worry.

Actually, I believe on the COPA board, his avatar is a picture of someone in a flight helmet and mask in cockpit of a military aircraft. He's trying really hard to get COPA members to infer something.

Actually, I believe on the COPA board, his avatar is a picture of someone in a flight helmet and mask in cockpit of a military aircraft. He's trying really hard to get COPA members to infer something.
That I have a problem with.

Bingo.

Looking at the guys website. Wonder how much of his time is spent sitting with the Hobbs running.

His prices do seem high. I could theoretically rent a plane here in Ohio, fly to ny. Do a tour with my friendly local cfii and back for 1100. Thats everything including the plane. About 500 miles to ny (plane rent is 87 an hour for a warrior) may be slightly more with gas prices but club reimburses.

I spoke to a COPA leader.
It appears they have had issues with him.
He was surprised I hadn't heard of him before and wasn't aware he has a history of stuff like this. I guess this guy has been around the block a few times.

To paraphrase what was sent to me:

He performs bad-pilot witch-hunts often on COPA, was ousted by Cirrus for doing stupid pilot stunts.
He finds someone he doesn’t like and then turns the COPA constituents on him to shame the pilot.
He can’t get any clients anymore. That’s what his stunt was all about.

I spoke to a COPA leader.
It appears they have had issues with him.
He was surprised I hadn't heard of him before and wasn't aware he has a history of stuff like this. I guess this guy has been around the block a few times.

To paraphrase what was sent to me:

He performs bad-pilot witch-hunts often on COPA, was ousted by Cirrus for doing stupid pilot stunts.
He finds someone he doesn’t like and then turns the COPA constituents on him to shame the pilot.
He can’t get any clients anymore. That’s what his stunt was all about.

Who drives the Bandozer over there? @Ted DuPuis , you need to crash that party!

And I think I read a statement of his that went something like "This is how you do things the Navy way."

Should anyone join PoA and be observed to be trolling or another Bandozer-able offense, I can assure you that the Bandozer will be utilized with extreme prejudice.

So the Bandozer doesn't work on COPA? Lame... :D

So the Bandozer doesn't work on COPA? Lame... :D

If you want to come over and take the Bandozer on an XC, you can have at it. It will take you a long, long time. :)

If you want to come over and take the Bandozer on an XC, you can have at it. It will take you a long, long time. :)

Wow, y'all see that, he gave me permission to borrow the Bandozer. Small club that one, people allowed to borrow the Bandozer. Probably just myself, Bill Murray and the queen.

Wow, y'all see that, he gave me permission to borrow the Bandozer. Small club that one, people allowed to borrow the Bandozer. Probably just myself, Bill Murray and the queen.

I didn't state the conditions you would need to meet in order to borrow the thing such as starting it and putting down a deposit equal to the price of a new Cat. @NealRomeoGolf can probably help on pricing for a D9 so you know how much to leave in non-consecutive unmarked 20s. ;)

I missed the part where the Cirrus pilot asked at the beginning if the Arrow pilot needed any assistance...

Correction: It was the caption on his YouTube video of flying formation with one of his students on his first solo:

Wow, this guy is living in some Hollywood shaped false reality. “Show me what you’ve got kid” Ugh.
He wasn’t a Navy pilot and that’s not how they do it. They Navy would have shamed him back to reality and back to civilian life.

I sincerely believe we all would. Yeah, some of us threw in the gratuitous tongue-in-cheek Cirrus joke for good measure but the fact a Cirrus pilot was the offender had nothing to do with our core thoughts on his poor decisions.
At the risk of showing my just barely incomplete ignorance, it seems to me that the issue is not the Cirrus aircraft itself's attributes, but rather the attributes of a great many pilots drawn to them. Similar to the newer BMW vehicles themselves vs. those that purchase and drive them. I'd love a Cirrus.... but it wouldn't be the best bang for the buck, and I'm a value-over-image/status guy.

I’m not seeing why him doing things similar to the military offends you so much. It’s not stolen valor. Nobody that doesn’t know the correct procedures has any clue that he’s botching a military procedure. He made things more dangerous, that’s all that matters. Even if he hadn’t been doing things that remind you of military procedures it would have been unsafe.

And just to explain how he probably became familiar with the procedures, I quote his third person entry on his website biography

The problem is he isn’t doing anything by any standard format, military or civilian. His video of the “overhead break” isn’t an overhead. It’s a 360 power off. His vid of “solo the Navy way” isn’t how solo goes the Navy way as @Cooter has stated. His call off as “Cirrus dash two” is totally nonstandard. You’re either a flight, or you’re not a flight. One call vs 2 calls. His PAR approach he gave his student in one of his vids was ripe with incorrect phraseology. Not a big deal since it’s a sim but at least let the student experience it from an actual controller that doesn’t confuse left with right...hopefully.

My impression of the guy, is what @hindsight2020 stated. Probably failed out of military flight school or just a wannabe fighter pilot. His DCS and mock dogfighting (SF260) is indicative of that. No biggie, I always wanted to fly fighters also. Difference is, I don’t try and play Mr. Fighter Pilot around other aircraft...especially students during solo.

The problem is he isn’t doing anything by any standard format, military or civilian. His video of the “overhead break” isn’t an overhead. It’s a 360 power off. His vid of “solo the Navy way” isn’t how solo goes the Navy way as @Cooter has stated. His call off as “Cirrus dash two” is totally nonstandard. You’re either a flight, or you’re not a flight. One call vs 2 calls. His PAR approach he gave his student in one of his vids was ripe with incorrect phraseology. Not a big deal since it’s a sim but at least let the student experience it from an actual controller that doesn’t confuse left with right...hopefully.

My impression of the guy, is what @hindsight2020 stated. Probably failed out of military flight school or just a wannabe fighter pilot. His DCS and mock dogfighting (SF260) is indicative of that. No biggie, I always wanted to fly fighters also. Difference is, I don’t try and play Mr. Fighter Pilot around other aircraft...especially students during solo.

How are you going to make the local news with that attitude though?

DoD contractor working with the Navy........ so he’s Kelly McGillis??? :)

Afraid not... LinkedIn shows he worked for a company that worked with the Naval Post Graduate school on development of a computer model. I guess the good news is on LinkedIn he's more about portraying himself as a C4ISR expert there.

Wonder if Top Gun ever got an FAA visit?

It looks like the guy pulled down ALL his videos (save one) or at least made them private/unlisted

Back