Just had a TOL Eval. Went pretty badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImAParrot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ImAParrot
I don't want to name locations or names or where I'm at. But most might figure it out. It's a place where the instructors don't give a sheet about students, they're only selfish and all they care about is themselves and building hours.

At this point I've spent 20 hours in the pattern an am familiar. I've even done all ATC comms, takeoff, do pattern myself, and landings are usually a 6-8 out of 10, and go around when needed.

So we have to do a TOL Eval before solo prep. Of course I'm nervous a bit, but anyway we continue. My lead instructor not my main instructor had to evaluate me. On the day of evaluation, the problems arise that literally im 100% sure most of my peers aka student pilots probably didn't get. Suddenly, wind picked up a lot to 10-12 kts. I had never encountered more than like 7-8. Also, there were these weird wind shear or wind draft, whatever it is that suddenly jolts you to the left/right, up/down. On top, this was the BUSIEST pattern I've EVER had literally we were number 7 each time, on top of that, around 5 miles out, we have a giant hill higher than our TPA. Normally, in other places you can extend downwind straight and maintain tpa, however here, we've never gotten this far out. I know that you shouldn't go above TPA or cut into the base, but we had to, and my lead was already acting like a stone, as if he hated me so bad and hated being there even though I've only said hello to him like once before and we've had no issues, and he told me to cut into base, and go above TPA. I've also never gotten clear indications when to configure for landing either. My main instructor will have me configure even 4 miles out as soon as traffic passes my left wing, which I always thought was kind of pointless and wrong, and now suddenly when I configure he gets upset and acts like he just hates my guts. I told him if only I'd been trained when to properly configure, I would. Anyway he let me know 2.5 miles out on straight in final is when you're on glide path with the papi lights and that's when you configure. We also have to call out if we are on glide path, proper speed, and are configured and stabilized. I've been calling that Gp, airspeed, and configured pretty much when I line up on final, and call out stabilized 200 agl with my main for like the past 20 hours now and he's said nothing but good job on thr call outs, now suddenly the lead is saying you call out glide path airspeed and flaps at 300 and stable at 200. Also, the cockpit atmosphere felt so closed in with him that I literally started to lose track. He told me he would do comms and call traffic in sight. Since he's checking traffic, Im not paying attention AS MUCH to it, but not only doesn't he point the traffic like my main. He just stays silent, this led me TWICE, to just be confused since we had to extend downwind into the mountain SO LONG, to just miss hearing that we were cleared for the landing, or assume it was said, but that I missed it, leading me to configure before it was time, and of course he once again treated me VERY BADLY FOR IT. (yes for this one it's my fault, but it really doesn't help when the guy next to you is treating you like filth, like he hates you and he wishes he could be in the airlines already and then boasting or bragging about it, that's the vibe I got from him). Another thing was when taxing, another plane was coming from another direction and he was closer so I was obviously going to let him go first. I even decided to start braking like 6 to 8 plane LENGTHS away from him because I felt like I'd get **** if I didn't, next thing I know he mashes the brake in an angry way as if I was too unaware to stop despite being like 7 plane lengths away going like 3 knots while I'm already on the brakes gradually. (EDIT: this was right at the beginning and at this point I already knew I'd fail. First the conditions of the Eval are such that if the instructor ever takes control or gives verbal guidance, you fail. So when he mashed the brakes, I wasn't sure if that was fail or not but I already knew it would be bad and thays he's just trying to fail me and stress me out. I instantly realized he's so selfish and cares so much to get into the airlines, that he mashed the brakes when I'm already braking from SO FAR AWAY because he thinks he knows everything and is better than everyone else. He thinks I'll just go full throttle like an idiot and crash into that plane costing him HIS SELFISH desire to get an airline job, and at this point I knew I was in a very crappy situation dealing with someone who doesn't care about you succeeding, and is just DESPERATE to cover their a55 and overreacts on purpose very obviously just to make you feel bad so he can make it seem like I'm the idiot he doesn't want to be with who is risking his precious career by potentially going full throttle into another plane during taxi) Stuff like that already set me up for a VERY BAD MOOD.

And on top, I asked other students how their first Eval went with him. Especially the girls. What do you know, they all said he was so talkative and in a good mood. This fking nonsense really ****es me off and irritates me. By the time we were taxing to parking I was already gone in my mind. My main instructor usually comes perpendicular to our parking spot and adds power and turns to the left to align then shutdown. I tried to do the same thing but he got so fking angry for no reason, I tried to explain that my main instructor does that and that's what we do but he cut me off saying shutdown/terminate [checklist], I tried again to explain it and again he repeated shutdown/terminate, in a way that really it meant Stfu.

I don't understand this. All my life ive had either bad luck or dealt with people who Immeadiately feel adversarial with me even though I behave politely, don't get aggressive or cocky, etc. Wtf have I done to deserve this. I will bet a billion dollar my main and lead instructors definitely had the best instructors, and evaluators, and yet when it's their time to inspire hope and encourage people, they do none of that. They act on their own self interests. What should have been something simple for me ended up a failure. Even though with my main instructor I did 10 touch and Gos for each session doing comms as well flawlessly. I fking hate my life sometimes because I encounter ppl like this. Who the fk treats someone so badly who they've never even spoken more than a word to before. And with my luck, if I lodge a complaint, they're NEVER going to believe me or take my side, so I have to Stfu. And if I take an audio recorder and even RECORD them in the act of cursing me out let's say, and show it to them. The managers or whatever would kick me out simply for having the audacity to be able to PROVE to them that it's not me but it's them and their instructors causing me to have a hard time. So all I can do is Stfu and try to learn from this and deal with it, while over 95% of people go through their program with great instructors and or people who don't discourage them. Ffs he never once called out traffic even though it was his fking job to do and he specifically said he would. In situations like this I'd call tower to call my base, but when I did, she was the brand new Controller with a record of MULTIPLE MISTAKES, and seemingly didn't care or think at all that we were literally on our way to hit a MOUNTAIN. Literally NONE of the things I trained for, happened on evaluation day, nearly everything was something I'd never been trained to know or expect, or trained inadequately or wrongly or not told about. There's no procedure on what we should do to avoid that mountain for example, or when we should configure (one instructor says this while another says that), and while I will fail and learn alot from this, others will, on their Eval, absolutely have calm winds, zero traffic, beautiful weather, and the evaluator will make the mood so positive, and they will pass, I failed because it's like I was setup to fail, and was placed in situations literally no one else has on their TOL Eval. It kind of is upsetting knowing my peers will get perfect conditions for their Eval and pass, despite also not yet having gone through the things, that made me fail. I feel so disheartened and discouraged. Not to mention, before my Eval, the lead was also supposed to take 1 flight with me. As far as I know everyone else had flown with him once or twice before, but me, nope. It was supposed to happen, I was told it would, but then it didn't.

Anyone else had someone like this? I mean ffs if I was lead instructor and am evaluating someone, I know they're knew and nervous. I would make it about THEM. Its their training. I'd intervene ONLY if absolutely necessary. If a mistake is made, I'd kindly let them know and tell them no worries, and to learn from it. I'd also open up to them and make them feel at ease and comfortable, and be professional, not behave in a way that basically implies the whole time for them to Stfu, but without saying Stfu. Because that's what it felt like the whole time, as if he was saying Stfu, without saying it, because he's so afraid I'd complain and he'd get fired, and then boo hoo my airline job will go away, poor me. Like ok dude get your hours and go to your precious airline, but at least inspire the same confidence and expect the same training and respect that you most definitely also got, and I know he did because selfish people like this usually complain the second they don't get every single thing they want and need, but just help me make it also.

Last edited:
If at any time you are not happy or comfortable in a flight, whether a lesson or eval (what is TOL?) then end it immediately. If the winds were stronger than you experinced in the past, tell the instructor and end the flight immediately. You want to fly for a living? Then you must demonstrate command of the airplane as well as the situation. You let yourself be intimidated by the instructor.

Lastly, learn about paragraphs.

Here endeth the lesson.

If at any time you are not happy or comfortable in a flight, whether a lesson or eval (what is TOL?) then end it immediately. If the winds were stronger than you experinced in the past, tell the instructor and end the flight immediately. You want to fly for a living? Then you must demonstrate command of the airplane as well as the situation. You let yourself be intimidated by the instructor.

Lastly, learn about paragraphs.

Here endeth the lesson.

Im pretty sure that asking to end the flight would be an immediate fail. Yes obviously in a NORMAL situation, if winds were bad I'd divert, but somehow I DOUBT he'd allow me to divert. Plus winds were at like 6kts on thr ATIS, and picked up out of nowhere. I'm surprise during the debrief he actually mentioned the strong winds and cut me some slack. In the end he said my callouts, checklist usage, go around decision, and landings were good, but my spacial awareness was lacking, and when to configure. I must admit, that the atmosphere of the plane, would make atc calls go in one ear, and right out the other, and I couldn't retain the traffic around me. Yes it's my fault and I won't let that happen again, but, can I ask, how were your instructors? When you were being evaluated or before you were signed off for a solo, did you encounter someone like this? I somehow doubt it. I think most people don't, but when they see someone who does have an instructor like this, they still blame the student. No one can truly understand until they have an instructor that sits next to you and makes you feel like cheet the entire time

BTW tol is just takeoff and landings.

Last edited:
So to summarize (correct me if I'm wrong), your complaint is you have bad luck and people naturally don't like you, so that is the problem with the TOL Eval? I'm just trying to understand.

Wow take a breath and tomorrow is another day.
You will always learn new ways to do it with each different instructor.
Not sure why you think they hate you?
I was reminded a few times that training is supposed to be fun while I was sweating my azz off trying to learn. Make sure it is fun for you.

I couldn’t read the whole thing but don’t give up.

So to summarize (correct me if I'm wrong), your complaint is you have bad luck and people naturally don't like you, so that is the problem with the TOL Eval? I'm just trying to understand.

It just so happens the guy evaluating me hates me for no reason while everyone else says he gave them an easy time. I've also never said more than a hello to him before our encounter and never had any other encounters with him. It makes no sense to me why I should be singled out and made to feel so uncomfortable and choked in and singled out.

Ah it's pointless to explain. I doubt you have ever experienced this. You probably had the best instructors heck I bet even your DPE's were laughing and joking with you making you feel like they will pass you 100% Unless you GO OUT OF YOUR WAY to fk up. You've never dealt with someone who sits next to you during an important phase like an Eval and make it OBVIOUS theyd rather be somewhere else, and that they won't hesitate to make you feel miserable, or try to trick you, or make you hesitate, etc. Whatever I say from your pov you'll automatically assume it's my fault because you and most likely no one here has had a similar situation like this. I envy you people sometimes. How you can waltz throigh life because people just make it easy. My main instructor isn't really fully up to par when it comes to getting me prepared but at least he's nice and normal. Not the lead. Fk that guy. Seriously what have I ever done or said to him to deserve that? Nothing

What was the question?

Seriously, if you're not happy with your flight school, move.

Has anyone experienced a pos instructor/dpe whatever who made life difficult for no reason?

And I can't just move on. It's a huge waste of time and money, and I took out a loan for this. Not only would the loan being returned mean I've lost 2 average ppls worth of money probably to this flight school because of bs prices, but I'd never get another loan approval again nor do other schools offer one all the way to commercial cfi ME

It just so happens the guy evaluating me hates me for no reason while everyone else says he gave them an easy time. I've also never said more than a hello to him before our encounter and never had any other encounters with him. It makes no sense to me why I should be singled out and made to feel so uncomfortable and choked in and singled out.

Ah it's pointless to explain. I doubt you have ever experienced this. You probably had the best instructors heck I bet even your DPE's were laughing and joking with you making you feel like they will pass you 100% Unless you GO OUT OF YOUR WAY to fk up. You've never dealt with someone who sits next to you during an important phase like an Eval and make it OBVIOUS theyd rather be somewhere else, and that they won't hesitate to make you feel miserable, or try to trick you, or make you hesitate, etc. Whatever I say from your pov you'll automatically assume it's my fault because you and most likely no one here has had a similar situation like this. I envy you people sometimes. How you can waltz throigh life because people just make it easy. My main instructor isn't really fully up to par when it comes to getting me prepared but at least he's nice and normal. Not the lead. Fk that guy. Seriously what have I ever done or said to him to deserve that? Nothing

My son, many years ago while in middle school, once said, "I wish the information was just already in my brain, like the smart people." Is that the way it works?

Thinking that everyone else "waltz throigh life because people just make it easy" is a problem. So now, another question, what is your best guess why this guy seems to like everyone but you?

My son, many years ago while in middle school, once said, "I wish the information was just already in my brain, like the smart people." Is that the way it works?

Thinking that everyone else "waltz throigh life because people just make it easy" is a problem. So now, another question, what is your best guess why this guy likes everyone but you?

I have no clue. Have never spoken to him. Actually just once I was talking to another student, about my PAR results. And he just randomly asked my score. It was a high score and I mentioned it and he said nice. After that, we never spoke. He's rarely around when I'm around anyway. I can't imagine why. It's most likely his own issues. Some people treat others like chit when they're miserable. I'm not one of those types. He might be. So are many ppl. Maybe he's having a rough home life. I don't really care. If he can't be professional to everyone at his job he needs to fk off. There's no excuse to not give everyone the benefit of the doubt before you behave like that

Take a deep breath. Go for a run or a hike.

Ask yourself-
what are your goals and the best way to achieve them, vis a vis flight training? Are they best accomplished in your current training situation, now?

IMO knock that chip off your shoulder.
20 hrs is not much now a days for some folks including myself as far as training goes.
I have had chief flight instructors fly with me and not say much until the debriefing after the flight.

Not proud of it but I bet it took me 50 hrs to solo and 100+ to get my PPL.
We spent months flying the pattern so I could solo at a busy class delta airport. God bless my patient instructor.
When I finally soled, it very anti climatic and no cutting off my shirt tails or any of that stuff.
Some days my head was clear and I flew alright and some days my head was mush because I partied too much the weekend before and I was not prepared. It cost me a bunch of money and time.
1300 hrs later I can land a 172 with the best of them. Only took me about 3000 landings.
Like I said don't give up and good luck.

Last edited:
I have no clue. Have never spoken to him. Actually just once I was talking to another student, about my PAR results. And he just randomly asked my score. It was a high score and I mentioned it and he said nice. After that, we never spoke. He's rarely around when I'm around anyway. I can't imagine why. It's most likely his own issues. Some people treat others like chit when they're miserable. I'm not one of those types. He might be. So are many ppl. Maybe he's having a rough home life. I don't really care. If he can't be professional to everyone at his job he needs to fk off. There's no excuse to not give everyone the benefit of the doubt before you behave like that
You talk a lot about vibes and assumptions...my own assumption is you didn't do well on you TOL eval, so you blame him. My .02c.

You aren’t ready to solo. If you can’t handle the wind unexpectantly picking up or the pattern getting full or some extra stress put on you by an instructor you don’t belong in the air by yourself yet. You also need to get that chip off your shoulder thinking that everything that went wrong is somehow someone else’s fault as it isn’t going to make anything better. If you don’t like the flight school or their instructors then just go find somewhere else to teach you.

PIC has to make the hard decisions.

It seems you have a deep analysis of the physical details and psychological awareness of how others feel about you "for no reason." But the real test is your ability to make command decisions.

Once the decision is made, then you have to live with the decision. The keys are "live" and "decision," and that is what the guy who hates you is judging.

On a side note - you said all your life people don't like you (paraphrasing). Stop what you are doing and fix this.

Next time wear a dress...

I've had some issues training, some of the best advice I received on here was "suck it up buttercup".

There are going to be issues with any training, anywhere. These are yours, own them.

Pilots have some peculiarities, some of which matter, others don't. Some people cling to things that matter, others don't. Sounds like you have instructors to make happy to get to the next point. Jump thru the hoops or leave. This was true in my working life also (not aviation), kind of an assimilate or die scenario. perhaps next time, ask for feedback and peculiarities first (build a file on anyone you might fly with).

You don't read like anyone acting PIC enough to solo, certainly not in any plane I own.

Might you be a non native? Going all non PC here, perhaps you just need to be better than the rest?

I've heard talking about high scores can put a target on you.

Weakness (early problems in flight) might mandate digging deeper into them to probe actual readiness.

And, many instructors have much to learn. But you have what you have.

@ImAParrot - Your post is a combination of asking for Therapy and asking for Pilot advice coupled with a poorly written post that makes it overly difficult for most people to be willing to wade through and pick it apart.

My suggestion. Find a therapist and put real work and real time into that. Unfortunately the people that stand to benefit the most from therapy are the most resistant to even consider the idea of it.

You had some real good piloting questions buried in your massive post. Pick out the Piloting questions and spend some time to succinctly ask them. Very specifically without the therapeutic overhead.

This forum has a massive amount of AVIATION experience and this forum is eminently qualified to give you excellent piloting advice.

This forum is potentially one of the worst places to go to for therapeutic help.

Like "Ted" talks, where the best minds in the world summarize their agenda to 18 minutes.

If you are being ignored it is because you need to come to the point.

Hmm, so you finish and go on to an airline job. And you get a whole month with a Captain who doesn't like you because of some unknown or even known reason. What do you do then?

I would be a bit concerned if the instructors and the evaluator are teaching and expecting different things. Sounds like a school out of touch.

But if so, once the evaluator says they want something different, then you suck it up and do it that way. If the winds are higher than you have trained in, you should have said something immediately. "The winds are higher than I have experienced. If I was solo, I would abort the flight, but since you are along, I would like to experience the higher winds and learn to handle them" It shows an understanding of your limits, good ADM, and a desire to learn and expand your experience.

Well, you got that off your chest. You got a bad draw and had a setback. Now, what are you going to do about it? It’s still your money, your time, & your decision. It’s also your dream.

Not that I am not unsympathetic. Those 141 schools are military academy stiff. I did a winter vacation & BFR at a (I think) nearby uncontrolled field with one of those 141 schools on the field last year. I did not appreciate the chock-a-block full patterns & long conga lines taxiing back to the runway, which really cut into my flight time. The instructors I flew with were both graduates of that school. Rigid. Humorless. Tense. During the ground portion, I had to keep reminding one instructor “that is not on the Private ACS.” Once I was high on approach & started a slip when the instructor “yipped” & blocked the controls, saying, “you haven’t been taught that yet.” I reminded her this was a BFR not a student pilot flight.

I’d say your in for an interesting ride.

Oh, and people don’t hate you for no reason. You reputation precedes you up the line. You classroom demeanor & preparation. Your flight line demeanor. Your response under pressure was not good this time. Piloting is about 95% preparation to respond appropriately under pressure.

Last edited:
Not everyone is cut out to be a pilot. Progressing in a program while failing to learn takes talent though.

Last edited:
I don't understand this. All my life ive had either bad luck or dealt with people who Immeadiately feel adversarial with me even though I behave politely, don't get aggressive or cocky, etc. Wtf have I done to deserve this.
If that has been a consistent experience, you need to ask yourself with honesty, what is the common denominator, and actually work on that. And maybe start actually listening to the input that you are probably being given.
Also, you have demonstrated a ton of presumption such as - you actually know that he was angry and mashed the brakes because he was selfish and wanted to go to the airlines. If you have the ability to get in their heads and know their motives, maybe one or two of those people you've interacted with know what's in YOUR head. Works both ways, see? You can't expect people to treat you better than you treat them.

Also, regarding:
Maybe he had a discussion with some other people and thought that this was the best way to test their concerns, and you managed to let those same concerns show themselves?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tai
Has anyone experienced a pos instructor/dpe whatever who made life difficult for no reason?

No. They always had a reason.

And I can't just move on. It's a huge waste of time and money, and I took out a loan for this. Not only would the loan being returned mean I've lost 2 average ppls worth of money probably to this flight school because of bs prices, but I'd never get another loan approval again nor do other schools offer one all the way to commercial cfi ME.

So have you met with your CFI on the ground to ask for his evaluation and reasoning?

Not saying you are right or wrong. It is just that we (the collective “we”) need both sides of the story before we can provide meaningful advice.

-Skip

Reactions: Tai
I concur with the advice to take a deep breath, and knock the chip off your shoulder.

Being PIC means taking responsibility for every aspect of safety of flight. Being a student pilot means preparing to be PIC and grokking the fullness of that mindset. You said, "Im pretty sure that asking to end the flight would be an immediate fail." That's similar to the reasoning other pilots have used to fly into questionable situations that got themselves and others killed. If you have reservations about flight safety, discuss them with your CFI up front and openly. Every. Time.

Also, read about the FAA's 5 hazardous attitudes. This experience, and every flight you make, is a lesson. Study what you can do to make it better next time. Not just as a student but as long as you are a pilot.

Learning is a two-way experience. It is not the sole responsibility of the instructor to build a learning relationship with you. Having spend 35+ years in academics with students of all different kinds of personalities and innate abilities, I can tell you this: what you will get out of a learning experience is directly related to what you put into it. If your attitude going in is that everything should be easy, and everything that goes wrong is your instructor's (or somebody or something else's) fault, you will have a hard time. The most successful students (in any endeavor) are those that build positive relationships with their instructors, ask lots of questions, are not afraid to fail (if you are not failing you are not learning), accept personal responsibility for learning, and treat learning as fun. When everyone has fun, good learning happens effortlessly.

And I can't just move on. It's a huge waste of time and money, and I took out a loan for this. Not only would the loan being returned mean I've lost 2 average ppls worth of money probably to this flight school because of bs prices, but I'd never get another loan approval again nor do other schools offer one all the way to commercial cfi ME
Has anyone ever NOT experienced a manager/co-worker/neighbor/relative who made life difficult for them?

Welcome to the Real World and Life. Perhaps the evaluator was bring deliberately difficult to see your reaction. As the PIC down the road, in command of a large airliner with hundreds of people, it is your responsibility to remain calm and do your job, no matter what.

There is a process that the airlines and many others, including most of us here use, it’s called Briefing the Flight. Even before getting into the airplane, we go over either outloud or in our heads, what to do.

If engine catches fire during runup….do this…
If something goes wrong just after takeoff and in the air…do that

and so on.

I’m just a PPL, but if someone is in the airplane with me, my pax briefing on the ground is very specific. Your first mistake was on the ground, when you did not communicate with the instructor what you intended to do during each step in the process, including exiting the runway.

I went flying couple weeks ago with a friend who’s got more ratings and initials than you can count, but I reminded them that unless I was incapacitated, I was PIC and also the airplane owner.

This lesson was not a failure, probably the best you will ever have. Suck it up, stop whining and keep your cool next time.

In the overall grand scheme of things, and your bank account another couple hundred dollars and a few days of your time for another test is irrelevant. Painful now in many ways, true. But this will make a great story for you in a year or two.

The last 10 responses to this thread have all said the same thing, in a different way. Re-read each of them. Pay attention to them. Integrate them into your psyche.

And please go find a high school english book and learn about paragraphs. Good communication is a large part of flying for a living.

Here endeth the next lesson.

Last edited:
Parrot, how old are you? Young, I'd guess.

"If you meet somebody and think he's an a**hole, he probably is. If you think everybody you meet is an a**hole, it's probably you that is one."

I always felt some tension between myself and the instructor I used for the instrument rating. I still learned what I needed to learn and passed the checkride.

Later on, I flew with a safety pilot who commented that I appeared to have been well trained.

I always felt some tension between myself and the instructor I used for the instrument rating. I still learned what I needed to learn and passed the checkride.

Later on, I flew with a safety pilot who commented that I appeared to have been well trained.

The key to good teaching is to challenge students to the point that they may feel uncomfortable, but not to the point they are frustrated, while providing encouragement throughout. Overcoming challenges generates a sense of accomplishment, mastery, and confidence. Students that are never stretched can become complacent. In a classroom setting, this is perhaps innocuous. In a research laboratory or an airplane, complacency can be deadly.

@ImAParrot - I have a sister with a similar mindset to you. It's not healthy for her and it's not healthy for you, either. You see what you choose to see in the world, and you've chosen to see that you are a victim of everyone's choices but your own. I spent most of my growing-up years with my sister exhibiting this same attitude - complaining to me that everything was so hard for her and everyone was so mean to her but that it was all so easy for me.

If I finished my homework before she finished hers, it was because it was easy for me. The truth? I finished my homework first because I focused on doing it and doing it fast, because I didn't enjoy it. She didn't.

If I scored higher on a test, it was because it was easy for me. The truth? I scored higher on tests because I studied very hard. She didn't.

When I got a nice summer job in high school, it was because I was just lucky and everyone was nice to me. The truth? My summer job was the result of winning a speech contest put on by the local VFW, which I worked very hard at (I struggle with public speaking and still do) and then I worked hard at that job so that they wanted me back every summer until I graduated college.

When I graduated early from college, it was because it was easy for me. The truth? I graduated early from college because I spent all my time in class, studying, or working. My sister has stories of social events and friends and I have very few - because I literally didn't have time.

When I got a marginally better job than her after college, it was because everyone was just mean to her, but nice to me. The truth? I got my slightly better job after college by demonstrating my competence as an assistant teacher first...and my marginally better job was only better in compensation. She quit many of her jobs as soon as they got difficult or when she got bored.

When I got married, it was because everyone just liked me but no one liked her. The truth? My marriage is one of the few things that I feel like I got extremely lucky about, because my husband is the third guy to ever express interest in me, only the second willing to try dating me, and the only one who was willing to brave my family for me...and he is absolutely amazing in so many ways. I still don't know for sure how I "pulled" a man that is so far above my level, and there had to be a bit of luck/blessing in there. But I think it's mostly because he could see that somewhere inside me, I had the potential to be something more than I am and that I was willing to put in the work to become that something more. My sister has spent most of her life with an entourage of guys that would date her if she would just give them a chance...and at least four that she has tried dating and broken up with when they didn't measure up.

You want to know a secret? It wasn't because I was lucky, or because everyone was so nice to me, or because everything was so easy for me. It was because I worked my tail off to get what I got. Stop seeing that everyone is out to get you, that everyone is selfish and stupid, and that everyone simply hates you for no reason. I get that you are upset and frustrated, but from reading your entire post, I can see why a great swath of the population may not like you. You may think you are very polite, and you probably are, but you take a modicum of responsibility for your own choices and behaviors and then shift most of it to others. That makes you look very bad and it is not a pleasant behavior to be spend time around. If you want people to respect and like you, be upfront and honest with yourself about your own shortcomings, and take responsibility for what you do and don't do. You may find that a lot of your "unluckiness" and "unexplained hatred" goes away. Your worldview is tainting your perception.

Okay, therapy done, aviation thoughts incoming:

As far as your solo evaluation, I can see why you failed, and it wasn't because the instructor decided to step on the brakes. It was your distinct lack of pilot-in-command abilities. You could not handle the plane by yourself. You admitted that ATC went in one ear and out the other. That is a BIG problem. You admitted that you were messed up and confused about the changes in configuration timing, and you also admitted that you had not been taught when you should be configuring for landing. That is arguably an even bigger problem. You let the instructor rattle you and distract you from your primary task - flying the airplane - and let him put you, and I quote, "into a VERY BAD MOOD". That is potentially the biggest problem yet. Flying solo is a big deal. You are the only one who can bring yourself and the plane back safely when solo, and all three of those problems need to be fixed before you can safely solo, in my humble opinion.

I trained part 61, but before my CFI let me solo, she had me fly with the chief pilot at the part 141 school she also taught at. I was incredibly, incredibly nervous. My legs were shaking so hard, I could have tap-danced on the rudder pedals if my shoes had metal soles on them. He, too, "sat there like a stone" and I knew that he was judging me - because that was the whole reason he was on this flight with me. He, too, had some different ways of doing things than my primary instructor did and expected me to fly like he was used to. He was not "encouraging" and "nice", and definitely not talkative. He was focusing on identifying my errors and finding things that were wrong with how I was flying. He wasn't there to be nice to me. He was there to make me a safer pilot and ensure that I was safe enough to fly on my own. My DPE was a very similar personality. Both of them were doing their job, which was to find the faults and errors in my flying. Neither of them hated me or was out to get me or were "acting on their own selfish interests" by being less than friendly. Not everyone will hold your hand and reassure you and be gentle with your feelings.

The good thing about those who don't is that they are getting you used to reality. The airplane won't be nice to you and gently tell you that you didn't check the fuel properly. It will just quit. It won't be nice to you and gently inform you that you calculated the CG wrong. It will just fly weird and possibly go into an impossible-to-recover stall as you burn off fuel and shift CG. A thunderstorm won't nicely tell you that you should have diverted five or ten minutes ago, and will just rip your wings or tail off and turn you into mush. Aviation doesn't care about your feelings and even less about your ego. You need to learn to put both of them aside in the air. That is how a true Pilot-in-Command acts, and you definitely didn't pass that test...which is potentially even more important than getting the skills right.

This is a very long post. I talk too much, but I hope that you can find something of value to you that will help you change your view of those around you and help you deal with your situation. The instructors at your school may not be the best. They may not be the "kind, gentle, guiding hands" you desire. They may be focused on the airlines and getting there, but none of those facts are obstacles that are impossible or even that difficult to overcome. If it helps you any, none of them are things that no one else has ever had to deal with before. You can choose to view them as insurmountable mountains to complain and whine and "woe-is-me" about, or you can view them as challenges that will ultimately make you a better pilot - and a better person. It's your choice.

Last edited:
No, nobody has ever been given a hard time. Ever. Until you.

So you might as well give up. This job obviously isn’t for you. Pilots are routinely pressured to do stupid things, hassled by people that are being unreasonable, or have to deal with weather.

PS> how come the 6 other people in the pattern did ok in this horrible weather?

For anyone that wants the cliff-notes version of this massive wall of text, here's GPT's summary. It's accurate.
upload_2023-6-14_11-39-38.png

@ImAParrot
Gotta be honest, the guy doing your eval sounds like he was having a bad day -- or maybe he's just a dick in general. Most people aren't that fired up.
That said, it sounded like you either really needed to vent or you have a really severe case of victim's mentality as @SkyChaser mentions. I hope it's the former, but the way that you write really makes me think its the latter.

Flying is going to throw a ****load of curveballs at you and I gotta tell you -- winds blowing at 12kts, or having a busy pattern are the smallest of said curveballs. Even at presolo phase 12 kts should be a total non-issue. But it seems like the biggest culprit is that there wasn't a clear division of responsibility between you and him which led to a lot of frustration in the air on both parts. Going into your next flight I'd correct for that and tell them you expect to own the airplane so you know you're responsible for everything. Problem solved.

As for things he doesn't like but your instructor does? Tell your instructor about how you got *****ed at for doing it and have him resolve it with your check-ride dude. They should be able to figure it out and give you one consistent way of doing things.

Also something to be cognizant of: CFI is just an FAA certification, it's not a teaching degree. And it's certainly not a certificate in patience and understanding. In my experience of flying with maybe 8 CFIs and talking to many more, most CFIs are straight-up bad at their job simply because they don't want to be in that job. They just don't have a way to pay for hour-building without it, and they need the hours for their next career leap. It's very likely that this eval guy was in that bucket of instructors. In that case, don't take it personally. Just treat your experience with that guy as a purely business transaction -- you're not trying to make friends with this dude. Adopting this mentality will help you a lot in the future because you sound REALLY young and there's going to be PLENTY more interactions in your future where people don't treat you exactly as you'd like to be treated.

Last edited:
PIC has to make the hard decisions.

It seems you have a deep analysis of the physical details and psychological awareness of how others feel about you "for no reason." But the real test is your ability to make command decisions.

Once the decision is made, then you have to live with the decision. The keys are "live" and "decision," and that is what the guy who hates you is judging.

On a side note - you said all your life people don't like you (paraphrasing). Stop what you are doing and fix this.

While goinf to sleep, I ultimately came to this conclusion. I should have acted as PIC and pretended he's just some random passenger. And focused.

Also, I’m thinking with your ability to assess everyone else’s performance, even those with far more experience than you, while you are taking a TOL, you should be running this school not attending it. Or, maybe, just perhaps, you should spend less time analyzing how others are doing and more time focusing on what you are doing. Nah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back