Joining an ILS/LOC

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
Been watching some Youtube IFR videos on ILS approaches.
In some of them, the Approach will give the pilot the heading and altitude to "intercept the localizer" and in other cases "until established". Is there a difference, or does it mean the same thing.

No, they are not the same. If you listen more closely you will hear heading ###, maintain #### until established, cleared for the approach vs heading ### intercept localizer. The first the pilot may descend to the published altitudes on the approach chart after established on the LOC and the other the pilot must maintain the last assigned altitude.

Thank you. So if you are told to intercept a LOC, they will have to come back to you to clear you for the approach. Makes sense, but I wonder why they would do it in two steps (and make you stressed out if you are about to intercept the GS but have not heard from ATC yet).

Thank you. So if you are told to intercept a LOC, they will have to come back to you to clear you for the approach. Makes sense, but I wonder why they would do it in two steps (and make you stressed out if you are about to intercept the GS but have not heard from ATC yet).
One example would be they want you on the Localizer but can’t have you descending quite yet because of traffic underneath you. This shouldn’t happen very close in where it would cause you to fly through the Glideslope and then have to intercept it from above later when you get the Approach Clearance.

This is fairly common around here and is usually because of traffic.. sometimes they put you through the localizer and then they'll re-vector you to intercept

It happens. Coming to Santa Monica from the south they will often keep you high..

Actually it is easier for the pilot because the localizer course is wider the farther from the airport making the intercept easier and provides more time to determine wind correction.

The controllers job is aircraft separation and putting you on the LOC 18 miles from the airport is one tool they can use.

Why would you be stressed out by something normal?

Very to common to just join the localizer and then get issued an approach clearance shortly after. Not a big deal.

Which part of the situation stresses you? Can you post the relevant chart?
He's not instrument rated. Watching videos expectation of stress from lack of knowledge or experience.

Last edited:
Yep, just finishing IR ground school and watching all the YT videos I can.
In general, aligning with the final approach course and the approach are busy times, so that's why I was thinking about added stress. But if they align you with LOC 18 miles out, that is not a problem.

Thanks all!

Yep, just finishing IR ground school and watching all the YT videos I can.
In general, aligning with the final approach course and the approach are busy times, so that's why I was thinking about added stress. But if they align you with LOC 18 miles out, that is not a problem.

Thanks all!

You think it's stressful because you haven't done it yet. I think you'll find it's not really a big deal once you're trained. What you describe is routine and there's really nothing to it. My advice, cut back on the YouTube, at least until you cover tasks in the air.

BTW, depending where you fly you may rarely see an ILS. I fly mostly in the SE and mid-Atlantic and I've flown a real ILS (ie not for practice) exactly once in the past 8 years. Everything else has been GPS cleared to an IAF waypoint.

Last edited:
Being stressed out is a choice. No reason to be stressed. You were planing for a go around anyway. Now you know why you’ll pop around for a second look.

Secondly if you are close to intercept just key up the mic and ask if you’re cleared for the approach.

Third, don’t waste time trying to figure out the controller reasoning. They do odd stuff sometimes. Just talk to them to get what you need.

and the plane won't fall outta the sky..

if you do get behind (I have) just ask for a vector.. you'll get a heading and a few minutes to sort yourself out

BTW, depending where you fly you may rarely see an ILS. I fly mostly in the SE and mid-Atlantic and I've flown a real ILS (ie not for practice) exactly once in the past 8 years. Everything else has been GPS cleared to an IAF waypoint.
That's not the only difference between training and the real world :D

The controller knows where you will intercept the G/S. They know you need an approach clearance before that point.

In the rare instance that they may have forgotten, a simple, "[callsign], request approach clearance" works well.

Actual can be fun if you just relax. Of course an auto pilot helps relieve the stress.

Back