Jeopardy!

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Lane_Flynn_AD_03-7-18_SN7713.jpeg As a heads up to my pilot friends that may be Jeopardy! fans, my son Lane is a contestant on the March 7 show. Watch if you can. I'm proud of him. It's a very tough show to get on and even tougher to do well in.
As to how this is aviation related, he is taking a multi add-on check ride to his commercial certificate on Friday using his ill gotten gains from this show for the training.

Congrats.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Super cool Lance! I will try to tune it for it.

View attachment 60547 As a heads up to my pilot friends that may be Jeopardy! fans, my son Lane is a contestant on the March 7 show. Watch if you can. I'm proud of him. It's a very tough show to get on and even tougher to do well in.
As to how this is aviation related, he is taking a multi add-on check ride to his commercial certificate on Friday using his ill gotten gains from this show for the training.

Cool. He should be hoping he'll have to reschedule that checkride because he has to wait awhile to get those ill gotten gains because he keeps winning and having to come back.

Jeopardy shows are taped about 4 months before they are aired. Lane had a good experience in Culver City, CA where they do it.

Quit the accomplishment...you should be proud.

Didn't realize the runner ups got anything.
They don’t pay any of the contestants’ costs, plane fare, hotels, etc. The $1k, $2k runnerup money kind of covers that.
Oh, and taxes (California gets 7% off the top) are taken before contestants get anything.

There is no shame coming in third on Jeopardy. I knew a guy who did that and in three years of trying I never did find a piece of trivia he didn’t know.

So, you’re not supposed to tell us the outcome of the March 7 show. For those of us with plans that day, though, can we see him play the next day instead?

So, you’re not supposed to tell us the outcome of the March 7 show. For those of us with plans that day, though, can we see him play the next day instead?
Could be

He could tell you but then Trebek would come and kill you in your sleep.

He’s really just a robot.

A robot that is designed to do one thing. Host and protect the Jeopardy!(TM) brand.

Trebek-bot would come for you. Silently. In the night.

Don't they get a copy of the home game and a case of Rice a Roni, the San Francisco treat?
Apparently those glory days are over. Only Jeopardy swag he came home with was a hat, a bag, and a couple of pens.
And he did give me one of the pens.

Apparently those glory days are over. Only Jeopardy swag he came home with was a hat, a bag, and a couple of pens.
And he did give me one of the pens.
Cheap bastages.

Ok. DVR set for the 8th too!
I like the way you think. By the way if you see Pat give him a heads up about Lane. Pat was very supportive of him a couple of years ago.

BTW... I always thought the runner ups got to keep whatever they had scored, or the minimum if they scored less.

You sound like a pretty proud dad and you should. I've tried taking the online contestant search test multiple times and never got a call back. Just to get on the show is quite an accomplishment. Anything beyond that is gravy. I look forward to watching.

For those interested, there is an online contestant test being held next week. You can register at their website.

BTW... I always thought the runner ups got to keep whatever they had scored, or the minimum if they scored less.
Nope. $2,000 for second; $1,000 for third. If they didn't do that, the Final Jeopardy bidding would be entirely different and not so interesting. There's a LOT of strategy to that aspect of the game.

The thing about Jeopardy is that the same person can either look like a genius or an idiot depending on the subject matter of the categories that day. Watching from home, there’s days that I think I could have won. Other days I’m like “how in the hell would anybody know that” but the players do. My favorite moments though are when I know final jeopardy but none of the three players do. I’m all like “BOOM, you bunch of losers!” Then I realize they all are taking home money and my dog is just looking at me like I’m an idiot. Son of a ***** does that far too often.

The thing about Jeopardy is that the same person can either look like a genius or an idiot depending on the subject matter of the categories that day. Watching from home, there’s days that I think I could have won. Other days I’m like “how in the hell would anybody know that” but the players do. My favorite moments though are when I know final jeopardy but none of the three players do. I’m all like “BOOM, you bunch of losers!” Then I realize they all are taking home money and my dog is just looking at me like I’m an idiot. Son of a ***** does that far too often.

My dogs just look up and then keep typing.

With apologies to Steven Wright and his dog named Stay. :)

Back