Is it the failed public school or the “Parents”

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
So with the nice weather I’ve had to chase off no less the three trespassers off my property in as many days.

One was a “kid” not really, by law sure, but the guy was at least 17, 5’8” a good 160lbs, the others were legal adult males.

My home has a good tree line, the property is obvious and has a tree line boarder and also a ranch style fence around it, minus the waterfront side and the long driveway, lots of times I’ll park my car one the road end of the driveway blocking access up my driveway, mostly for the lawn and trash guys to know I’m sleeping and on night shift and not to stop by.

What makes people think, “hey I should walk around this car and walk around this property?”

The “kid” kayaked up to the waterfront side, I found him with his fishing stuff sprawled all over my lawn.

The others walked around my car and up my driveway.

I asked each one what the F they were doing, they always say “oh I’ll leave” as if I was about to offer them to stay for dinner or something?

And I ask each one more or less the same thing,

“are you

drunk?

Stupid?

Trying to get shot?”

The adults said more or less sorry, and walk off

The “kid” said something like “hey I’m just a kid” to which I replied that unless he wants to get a beat down like a man he needs to quit trespassing on peoples property.

What’s up with people?

I did all sorts of dumb stuff as a kid, but never did I go walking around on people property like that.

Rant off.

People walk across my property all the time. It’s mostly kids cause cutting through my place is a short cut to the high school. No one bothers me or my stuff. I don’t care. It’s been that way forever. I’m 52 and when I was a kid me, not anyone else I knew had any idea about property lines. We knew not to mess with other people’s stuff. No one cared then. I don’t care now. I guess you should put up signs.

get-off-my-lawn.jpg

There’s all kinds of trespassers. And all kinds of land owners.

I know when I was a kid growing up in the fringe suburb-rural of north eastern Ohio, only a very few people cared and we stayed away from “grumpy old ___’s” property. Otherwise, it was free range for kids. We never destroyed anything.

Free-range kid travel has gone the way of free-range cattle in the west. Welcome to modernity.

Fences everywhere and stay off my property. Unfortunately, I do the exact same. I need to rethink that.

Goes along with fences around airports and feeling like only the privileged belong.

We are the problem.

I spent a fair amount of my suburban youth cutting across other people's property to get to school or the park, or wherever.

If you're talking to a kid on a kayak with fishing gear, he's probably a pretty interesting kid. He isn't one of the vast majority of them spending their life watching youtube or playing video games. Maybe try talking to them, but not in your internet voice ;).

Failed school - nope.
Failed parents - nope.

From how I read James’s post, the kids couldn’t have just been cutting across his lawn as it has a fence around the majority of it. They were intentionally walking up his drive. As to the kid on the water side, some people don’t seem to realize that the shore can be private even if the lake, river, or other parts of the shoreline is public. Possibly just a lack of awareness that signage could solve.

As to the increasing general lack of respect these days of property rights, it can be attributed to both parents and school. My parents taught me that trespassing was wrong and I might also have learned it in civics class though I do not recall with certainty.

Either way, I don’t think James’s concerns can be so easily dismissed as some want to.

Is it the failed public school or the “Parents”

Could be neither. Could be the land owner.

Do you have no trespassing signs up?

Not illegal in most states to walk on private property unless it is marked.

In Texas you can hunt on private property if it isn't marked. Not smart and severely frowned on by land owners, but legal.

A friend of mine in Texas shot and killed two hog hunting dogs that were chasing deer on his property. The owner of the dogs sued and won. All because my friend had not marked his property with no trespassing/no hunting signs, or had painted his fence post purple. (a purple fence post means no trespassing) Getting too aggressive to get people to leave private property that is not marked can possibly get the land owner in trouble.

If the dogs had been chasing calves or people the out come of the trial would have come out different.

And believe me, my dad taught me that it is wrong to be on other peoples property without permission....

I’m not talking legality, I’m taking having an IQ above that of a wet towel.

I should have added the kayak kid had his boat beached on my shore and was standing not 8’ from one of my buildings.

If you need a sign to tell you they coming into someone’s clearly marked via fences and blocked off driveways home/land (and I’m not exactly talking some vaguely marked vast expanse or land here) is a bad idea, you have already failed at life, I mean that’s the same person who needs a warning to not use a toster oven in a bath tub filled with water.

Sadly between the pro criminal laws and how people are brought up it’s my fault that someone doesn’t have respect and comes into my obviously private property. And people wonder why we have the issues we have.

A local farmer in Metro DC area noticed a couple having a picnic in one of his fields - car parked on the shoulder, and they had to cross a fence to get there. With their dog. Became indignant when told to leave, so he started heaving their stuff over the fence, after calling 911. You can't make this stuff up. . .

I lived on a flood control lake in Ohio for 30 years. The shoreline rose and fell with the rain. The highest it ever got was three feet below my house. The public had legal use of the land within 100 feet of the shore, wherever that happened to lie. I wasn't happy when they'd camp near my house and the smoke would drift straight into my living room. I'm with you, I don't like strangers invading my space, especially when I'm sleeping.

There’s all kinds of trespassers. And all kinds of land owners.

I know when I was a kid growing up in the fringe suburb-rural of north eastern Ohio, only a very few people cared and we stayed away from “grumpy old ___’s” property. Otherwise, it was free range for kids. We never destroyed anything.

Free-range kid travel has gone the way of free-range cattle in the west. Welcome to modernity.

Fences everywhere and stay off my property. Unfortunately, I do the exact same. I need to rethink that.

Goes along with fences around airports and feeling like only the privileged belong.

We are the problem.
Wow, I disagree on so many levels. Where to start?

I grew up in Northeast Ohio and have moved back here. "Trespassing" is entering without permission. That's not something "only a very few" care about. It wasn't "free range" for kids when I was a kid and it still isn't, not that a few kids weren't raised right.

My lot has three fences: two wood, one arborvitae. All existed before this house was built and were erected by neighbors for their privacy, not to harass "free range" kids. I agree with you that you need to rethink that.

Ditto fences around airports. They're to protect very fragile and expensive equipment that mostly sits unattended, not to separate the "privileged" from lower life forms.

"We", meaning mature adults, are not the "problem", meaning expecting respect for our privacy and property. But I wonder about anybody who pines for their disrespectful days gone by.

I’m not talking legality, I’m taking having an IQ above that of a wet towel.

I should have added the kayak kid had his boat beached on my shore and was standing not 8’ from one of my buildings.

If you need a sign to tell you they coming into someone’s clearly marked via fences and blocked off driveways home/land (and I’m not exactly talking some vaguely marked vast expanse or land here) is a bad idea, you have already failed at life, I mean that’s the same person who needs a warning to not use a toster oven in a bath tub filled with water.

Sadly between the pro criminal laws and how people are brought up it’s my fault that someone doesn’t have respect and comes into my obviously private property. And people wonder why we have the issues we have.
It’s no different on here. Already members are trying to figure out a way its your fault. Good luck.

It's the Gospel According to John Lennon ... It only took 47 years, but now it's the anthem of the age, the Zeitgeist.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today
[...]
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace
[...]
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world ...

Face it, James ... the kids are Jean Valjean and you're Marie Antoinette. We can't have equality as long as you have something they don't have. From each according to his abilities, to each according to whatever they darn well feel like.

Now don't you feel stupid for working so hard?

(And John Lennon was a really rich guy.)

Last edited:
(And John Lennon was a really rich guy.)

I know, that is why I found him so funny. And the other Beatles as well when they said capitalism is bad while raking in the dough. Funny how Paul changed his mind later....:lol::lol::lol:

I was impressed when we moved out here and some kids came to the front door and politely asked if they could continue cutting across the front of the four acres to get to the school bus stop in winter. Permission granted. Thanks for asking.

Well fudge. I made a long post and it got deleted because the post I quoted got deleted. It had something to do with raspberries.

Edit: found it and took out the offending quote plus any response to and/or affirmation of said offending post.

Last edited:
Hey my browser cached it. Let's see if I can post it after all...

I was about six years old one day when I found a wondrous wood full of raspberry bushes teeming with ripe berries. I started cramming sweet berries into my mouth, working my way deeper into the grove picking and eating the best berries of my life simply enjoying the motherlode I'd found. All of a sudden I looked up to see, right in front of me, an old woman with a basket glaring at me. It was only then that it occurred to my mind - she was picking her berries on her land. I was stealing her food! Shocked, terrified and mortified, full of shame, I turned and fled, ran home and probably hid under my bed.

I'm not going to tell all the stupid stuff I did at 17, 18, 19....

We live in the age of frivolous lawsuits. Should someone befall a personal misfortune upon your property, it is best to have posted No Trespassing signs about your acreage generously in order, one hopes, to be protected by the law. We were told this when some folks decide they could proceed into our relative’s driveway in the wee hours and cut deep circles, nay, trenches, into it as they spun their cars around.

When I was growing up in Minnesota just outside a town, the operating rules seemed to be that you could cross someone else’s property, unless marked with a sign, but don’t get close to buildings or mess with their stuff.

In more urban areas, with smaller lots, just stay off because everywhere on the lot is close to buildings.

The examples which James cites seem a bit more intrusive than that.

Wow, I disagree on so many levels. Where to start?

I grew up in Northeast Ohio and have moved back here. "Trespassing" is entering without permission. That's not something "only a very few" care about. It wasn't "free range" for kids when I was a kid and it still isn't, not that a few kids weren't raised right.

My lot has three fences: two wood, one arborvitae. All existed before this house was built and were erected by neighbors for their privacy, not to harass "free range" kids. I agree with you that you need to rethink that.

Ditto fences around airports. They're to protect very fragile and expensive equipment that mostly sits unattended, not to separate the "privileged" from lower life forms.

"We", meaning mature adults, are not the "problem", meaning expecting respect for our privacy and property. But I wonder about anybody who pines for their disrespectful days gone by.

I agree, getting as close as James’ examples is probably too close.

I remember riding dirt bikes between Solon and Orange. Few subdivisions. We would also hike with fishing rods to fish a couple ponds. And walk with shotguns crossing lots of land, none of it ours. No fences that we crossed.

Maybe we were naive and lucky, I don’t know. This was in the 1970s.

I read magazine articles penned by “old timers” who said if they hadn’t “Stumbled” upon airport grounds and been able to hang out, they probably wouldn’t have gotten into aviation. My opinion is that Young Eagles is no different than organized kids sports these days. Same analogy with aviation as pick-up baseball games. Much of it is organized by adults for kids.

Last edited:
What curmudgeons. As if cutting across other’s property isn’t a long standing tradition of adolescence. I doubt strongly “ no trespassing” signs did little to deter my teenage self or anyone I knew. I would have never damaged anyone’s property, but I certainly did transit many.

A friend of mine inherited the local baseball field when he bought his house. Had he been like you miserable curs he would have chased them off with signs and worse. Instead he let them play and had a nice game to drink beer to.

Maybe put up a sign indicating it’s private property? I know in some places land within so many feet of public water- rivers/lakes/etc is considered public access. No idea what the rules are where you live or anything. Even if it's not maybe some people are under the impression it is? Just a thought.

An interesting thing I learned fairly recently- apparently in most of Europe the public has the right to walk across anyone's private property. I guess it dates back to the days before cars and roads being common and it's interesting to think about. We're so used to having to limit our travel to public roads, sidewalks, designated trails, etc... over there they can just walk to wherever they're trying to get to without worrying about private property. I personally grew up being very mindful of private property and staying off it. Heck I've found myself pulling off onto the shoulder when I'm on my bike worrying about the person who owns the property I'm next to feeling I'm intruding. Kind of silly, I wouldn't be bothered if someone did that maybe just curious what someone was doing there but different people have very different ideas about this I guess.

I fully support individuals being sovereigns of their own land- I do think if you own it then you should have the only say in what happens there. That said are they really hurting anything? If not then why worry about it?

I fully support individuals being sovereigns of their own land- I do think if you own it then you should have the only say in what happens there. That said are they really hurting anything? If not then why worry about it?

The problem comes if they trip and fall on your property, they will turn around and sue you.

The problem comes if they trip and fall on your property, they will turn around and sue you.

I don't believe that happens as often as people think. Probably just enough scare stories out there to keep worry warts going.

It's the me generation, we've had a few of them now.

In Colorado you can be trespassed for being on private land even when not marked. Even an in-holding in the middle of the National Forest. Hunter have found this out more than once. And you can fish/raft rivers but can touch the bottom or shore. Unless of course you have permission.

Story from quite a few years back. Rancher along the upper Colorado gave a couple of fishermen permission to fish off his property. He just don't let you dogs worry my cows. Needless to say they didn't control the dogs. After several warning he shot the dogs. Legal - harassing livestock. Wildlife folks can shoot dogs worry wild animals.

I have a similar problem. People walk through my property, through my wife's flowers, to trespass\poach over on the farm.
It's 188 acres. It will be years before I run out of places to bury them.

Yeah but it isn’t free. All that quicklime and wheelbarrows that wear out...

Although with that much property maybe you bought a Gator to move ‘em all. :)

Some kids stopped by the house one day. I was outside working. One approached and asked "Do you mind if we cut through your yard to get to the other side of the block?" or something like that. I thought it was totally cool of them to ask, and so I said "Well, suuuuuuuuure! No problem, thank you for asking!"

What I didn't realize was that I gave the troop access to cut through my yard any time they like, not just that one time. When they started using my yard as a shortcut, I had to grin and bear it, because they asked, and I said yes! If I'm an idiot and not understanding the implications of my answer, that's on me!

Some kids stopped by the house one day. I was outside working. One approached and asked "Do you mind if we cut through your yard to get to the other side of the block?" or something like that. I thought it was totally cool of them to ask, and so I said "Well, suuuuuuuuure! No problem, thank you for asking!"

What I didn't realize was that I gave the troop access to cut through my yard any time they like, not just that one time. When they started using my yard as a shortcut, I had to grin and bear it, because they asked, and I said yes! If I'm an idiot and not understanding the implications of my answer, that's on me!

So how much distance or time do they save using you as a shortcut?

What curmudgeons...

A friend of mine inherited the local baseball field when he bought his house. Had he been like you miserable curs he would have chased them off with signs and worse. Instead he let them play and had a nice game to drink beer to.
Your friend is a"miserable cur" if he doesn't give that lot to the park district so even more kids can enjoy it. With luck, they'll even build him a community pool. Plus, he won't have to pay RE tax on it anymore, although he still can if it makes him feel better I suppose. :)

What curmudgeons. As if cutting across other’s property isn’t a long standing tradition of adolescence. I doubt strongly “ no trespassing” signs did little to deter my teenage self or anyone I knew. I would have never damaged anyone’s property, but I certainly did transit many.
“I did something wrong once, so I understand why people break rules, so it’s ok to break rules, so why bother having rules”. This line of reasoning is why we have an immigration problem.

“I did something wrong once, so I understand why people break rules, so it’s ok to break rules, so why bother having rules”. This line of reasoning is why we have an immigration problem.

Not sure I would call that "reasoning," more like "making excuses."

Back