Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewJetPilot

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew J
Hello all!

After some googling, I came across this site and decided to become a member. I am currently an airline first officer with a prominent regional flying the E175. I graduated from ATP in February and I’m getting close to upgrading to captain. My husband is a flight attendant and we have been married for two years and couldn’t be happier! I’m a member of the Gay pilots association and I’m a strong believer in LGBT equality. If we have any other gay pilots, please reach out to me, I’d love to connect :)

I believe that organization exists. It just seems odd that the first post on this flying forum is "IM GAY".

It doesn't change how you fly, etc.

Another fine PoA warm welcome on the scoreboard. :lol:

Yeah, I'm suspicious - maybe jaded. There are a few on this board -one who helped me with an issue personally - who are gay. Whatever floats your boat. What does being gay have to do with flying?

Last edited:
It just seems odd that the first post on this flying forum is "IM GAY".

Yeah, I'm suspicious - maybe jaded. What does being gay have to do with flying?

I had the same reaction wondering why someone would burst into the door yelling about their orientation ... But, seeing as how the mods don't seems to mind ... for the record I'm Cisgender and seek to uphold Christian values. I have no animosity against anyone for their decisions about themselves.

Welcome to POA!

I'd have thought it a weird intro too, but the OP mentioned he was trying to meet other gay pilots. Given that intent, it would have been weirder to me without the mention.

Anyway Hi Matthew, I hope you're not a troll. :D

We welcome all pilots here. Why is there a need to point out your sexual preference?

I suspect it is either the most interesting thing about him, or he's hoping to gen up conflict so he can fight for "equality."

We welcome all pilots here. Why is there a need to point out your sexual preference?
That's what I wonder... why does sexual preference come into play when being part of an aviation community? I have lots of gay friends, and lots of them in the aviation industry, I don't really think their sexuality is the defining factor... I see their character and personhood as the defining factor.

Also, are you not interested in talking to any of us straight pilots?

As a gay pilot, it’s nice to see others try to join this board. That said, all you have to do is look at the other BS replies to realize this forum isn’t as welcoming as it pretends to be.
Why does that have to be the defining post? I didn't join and say hey, I am a straight pilot, or asexual or whatever? Who cares... Happy to share the space here if you share a love of aviation and discussing it. Some people are making some non PC jokes, so what... ignore it if you don't like it. BTW, in before the lock lol.

Wow...what disgusting responses.

There are may segments of the pilot population...be it the type of aircraft down the the model you prefer fly and personal preferences in ALL aspects of the community...would all the homophobes be piping up if he said "any RV flyers hit me up, I am strong believer in experimental aircraft"...or even "I am a female flyer and believe in supprting women in aviation"...I think not. Dark humor jokes are one thing and fair game in online forums IMO, but there are deeper seeded issues in the posts above.

Sad.

Last edited:
As a gay pilot, it’s nice to see others try to join this board. That said, all you have to do is look at the other BS replies to realize this forum isn’t as welcoming as it pretends to be.
FIrst off, when did this board ever pretend to be welcoming? This board is full of a bunch of smart-ass alpha type pilots that love to hide behind a keyboard to give sarcastic remarks, but hey they are my kind of *******s so I enjoy it.

Welcome! FWIW, I would get in a cockpit with you any time, no matter who you like. But that's it, not gay here.

And if it is a troll, it's a sick effing joke.

FIrst off, when did this board ever pretend to be welcoming? This board is full of a bunch of smart-*** alpha type pilots that love to hide behind a keyboard to give sarcastic remarks, but hey they are my kind of *******s so I enjoy it.

Exactly. People can claim disgust, but this thread is going a whole lot better than I would have expected for a pilot forum…..

Hi! It is nice to know there is at least one other on here. It’s unfortunate that people have to act such a way to those who are different than them. Fortunately most that I encounter are accepting of my differences. I am definitely lucky to be in a career path that is both a lifelong dream and somewhere that accepts me for me. Nice to meet you!

airplane80_everbeeninacockpit_vd_223x104_10232013035357.jpg

Wow, I’m very surprised by the hatred here. I really shouldn’t be too shocked, but I would have thought better from a group of pilots. Yes, I understand that I’m different than many of you, but we share the skies, so why can we not get along? I did not include my sexuality for any kind of purpose other than to identify as part of the lgbt community and the gay pilots association, as I thought there might be others within the group who are also part of these communities. I will probably distance myself from this group, because I can see many of you don’t care to accept my differences.

IBTL! Wow I haven’t said that since the red board shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back