IFR direct over Chicago...

BTW - one question that I have never really understood. Sometimes I will get vectored off an approach into a busy airport (for example this has happened going into Midway) despite my flying it exactly as the controller requests and at a higher speed than the traffic behind me - for example, I will be at 170 KIAS while the Southwest behind me is doing 160. Yet the vector me off and let him go ahead. What is the rationale? Are they just worried that I will pull the power at some point way too early and slow to 90? I have told them I can maintain 150+ KIAS until 1 mile final.

See post #38 :rolleyes2:

BTW - one question that I have never really understood. Sometimes I will get vectored off an approach into a busy airport (for example this has happened going into Midway) despite my flying it exactly as the controller requests and at a higher speed than the traffic behind me - for example, I will be at 170 KIAS while the Southwest behind me is doing 160. Yet they vector me off and let him go ahead. What is the rationale? Are they just worried that I will pull the power at some point way too early and slow to 90? I have told them I can maintain 150+ KIAS until 1 mile final.

Because Southwest. They throw pizza parties for various approach controls around the nation.

CVG was very similar - no practice approaches, little or no Class B clearance, heard one controller tell a FLIB that "Delta owns the airport and doesn't want you here". Then Delta cut back and the controllers were begging for more traffic in fear that staffing would be cutback or they'd eventually lose the Class B.

I don't understand just dealing with going around the bravo. I did a little look at a flight between Cedar Rapids(KCID) and Battle Creek(KBTL) for the saratoga I used to fly. At 5,000 it's 1:58 direct and 2:04 if you hit MOTIF. Six minutes to play nice with the system?

I don't understand just dealing with going around the bravo. I did a little look at a flight between Cedar Rapids(KCID) and Battle Creek(KBTL) for the saratoga I used to fly. At 5,000 it's 1:58 direct and 2:04 if you hit MOTIF. Six minutes to play nice with the system?

My issue is the ATL bravo, and if going south I go to either HEFN or AHN to go around the bravo. On a typical flight to central FL, it adds 6 minutes. Big deal.

CVG was very similar - no practice approaches, little or no Class B clearance, heard one controller tell a FLIB that "Delta owns the airport and doesn't want you here". Then Delta cut back and the controllers were begging for more traffic in fear that staffing would be cutback or they'd eventually lose the Class B.
They got the Atlas Air and other DHL stuff going on there now but only very early in the morning.

ATL has a lot of clear space around it. So does CLT. The problem ones are places like BOS and CHICAGO where they don't want to work you and you're blocked from practically going around if you don't want to be way offshore.

They got the Atlas Air and other DHL stuff going on there now but only very early in the morning.
Yeah, but the volumes are nowhere near what Delta used to have. And Airborne used to launch out of Wilmington, just northeast of Cincy, and much of their traffic passed through the CVG TRACON area.

BTW - one question that I have never really understood. Sometimes I will get vectored off an approach into a busy airport (for example this has happened going into Midway) despite my flying it exactly as the controller requests and at a higher speed than the traffic behind me - for example, I will be at 170 KIAS while the Southwest behind me is doing 160. Yet they vector me off and let him go ahead. What is the rationale? Are they just worried that I will pull the power at some point way too early and slow to 90? I have told them I can maintain 150+ KIAS until 1 mile final.
That's a tough one without seeing the situation unfold. There is a chance the 737 was cheating on the speed and was catching you. In that case, I'd make him go around instead of you since he's the one fouling it up. You guys are equally entitled to the airport. There is a chance that the controller got nervous thinking you'd hit the marker and slam the brakes and in that case if you told them you'll do 150 to 1 mile final that should have alleviated that. At MDW specifically I will run it tighter if I know the parallels are open and I will verify that they will side step the GA plane. My final thought I mention often is unfortunately, all controllers aren't created equal. I'm not claiming to be the best ever but I'd have zero problem mixing you into a ORD or MDW final with you telling me the 170/150 speed you mention and I work with many that would do the same.

ATL has a lot of clear space around it. So does CLT. The problem ones are places like BOS and CHICAGO where they don't want to work you and you're blocked from practically going around if you don't want to be way offshore.
You are correct.

It'd be easier to explain to someone if they swung by the facility (I've done this with other local pilots). If you look at ORD and visualize a west flow scenario landing 3 runways west. Aircraft are crossing the shore on downwind anywhere from 100 down to 040. Aircraft are coming back on the finals across the lake a ways at all usable altitudes 110 and below descending. The sear's tower MVA along the shore is 033. There is no way to shoot a gap within gliding distance of shore in the B. Now with that in mind MDW is on the RNAV 22L often when ORD is west flow. They are using anywhere from 070 to 030 from MGC almost all the way up the shore to MDW. It's a lot of planes. On the west side of the airspace during this MDW is departing with silent releases Climbing to 030 and ORD is departing silently on all heading climbing to 050 all needing to get to the flight levels.

While not impossible, there are very few situations that allow for B clearances without disrupting a lot of planes for little time saving rewards. (i.e. PWK GA departures south routinely get routed over ORD at 060 as opposed to going around down low). It is a case by case basis and many are trying to help when able. Most will bend over backwards for wx deviations vs saving 5 or 6 min flight time.

As I mentioned before, it is real time traffic dependent and I've witnessed on both ends (flying and controlling) things improving slowly for GA and hopefully the trend continues. As in most things, I'm sure we can and hopefully will continue to improve for all the flying public.

You are correct.

It'd be easier to explain to someone if they swung by the facility (I've done this with other local pilots). If you look at ORD and visualize a west flow scenario landing 3 runways west. Aircraft are crossing the shore on downwind anywhere from 100 down to 040. Aircraft are coming back on the finals across the lake a ways at all usable altitudes 110 and below descending. The sear's tower MVA along the shore is 033. There is no way to shoot a gap within gliding distance of shore in the B. Now with that in mind MDW is on the RNAV 22L often when ORD is west flow. They are using anywhere from 070 to 030 from MGC almost all the way up the shore to MDW. It's a lot of planes. On the west side of the airspace during this MDW is departing with silent releases Climbing to 030 and ORD is departing silently on all heading climbing to 050 all needing to get to the flight levels.

While not impossible, there are very few situations that allow for B clearances without disrupting a lot of planes for little time saving rewards. (i.e. PWK GA departures south routinely get routed over ORD at 060 as opposed to going around down low). It is a case by case basis and many are trying to help when able. Most will bend over backwards for wx deviations vs saving 5 or 6 min flight time.

As I mentioned before, it is real time traffic dependent and I've witnessed on both ends (flying and controlling) things improving slowly for GA and hopefully the trend continues. As in most things, I'm sure we can and hopefully will continue to improve for all the flying public.
You guys do a great job. And I mean that. I'm an airline guy and used to be based at ORD.

Just my opinion as an airline guy--
It's always nice to accommodate the small GA craft, but in reality to design a system to accommodate a few people does not outweigh accommodating truly tens of thousands of people in the same timeframe.
I truly understand GA's spot here, but often I believe small airplane guys do things just because they can and enjoy stirring the pot.
Don't get me wrong... several situations are valid, but to save 6 minutes may not be one of them (especially since everyone here wants to fly and build time).

Flame away.

Here's something I've always wondered (chart attached for those not familiar with the Chicago area):

Since I started flying in the Chicago area around 1999, when approaching from the south, bound for 3CK (Lake In The Hills). About 50 miles out I would always get the call "we have an amendment to your routing, advise when ready to copy." And it would ALWAYS be JOT-OBK-3CK (blue route). Which seemed like the worst thing in the world for you guys if I ever went NORDO in IMC. Now in the real world, about 5 miles from JOT, I get a vector of 330 until well past ARR and DPA and then get direct to destination.

But lately, I started getting JOT-DPA-3CK (red route). Which makes a lot more sense.

So the question(s) is:

1) Why the JOT-OBK routing when it seems like that would make everyone's life hell if it had to be flown?
2) What happened that caused the change in that standard routing?

Attachments

• JOT-3CK.jpg
    JOT-3CK.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 34
If only I could get one of those routes. C90 insists on sending me to KELSI.

So the question(s) is:

1) Why the JOT-OBK routing when it seems like that would make everyone's life hell if it had to be flown?
2) What happened that caused the change in that standard routing?
I have no idea why that was the standard routing at the time it was decided. I know after I got here, we worked on fixing some of these issues and the resolution was what you are getting now. As you mention, way better now if you went NORDO!

If only I could get one of those routes. C90 insists on sending me to KELSI.
I don't believe C90 is sending you there. That is 20-30 miles outside our airspace and I have never asked for the center (or heard anyone ask) to send someone there. I believe that is a Chicago Center issue. What route are you on when you get sent there? Maybe I can help

Coming up from the SE (FWA, sometimes BVT) eading to OSH. While the routing might have been issued by ZAU, I'm pretty sure I got handed off to C90 and once asked if there was any way to avoid the KELSI leg.

I don't believe C90 is sending you there. That is 20-30 miles outside our airspace and I have never asked for the center (or heard anyone ask) to send someone there. I believe that is a Chicago Center issue. What route are you on when you get sent there? Maybe I can help

Happens all the time. I usually get MOTIF rather than KELSI lately on my transit from KSPW to KCMH.

I'm opposed to privatized ATC and this has nothing to do with it. The airline captain was right, it's a stupid thing to do. The CEO concurred. Bye-bye chief pilot.

dtuuri

So the airline pilot let ATC vector him into a VFR target? How is that the corporate chief pilots fault? The corporate guy was flying legally where he had a right to be. With his transponder on, I'm sure. And there was approach radar AND TCAS in play, no? Not to mention the Mark 1 Mod 1 Eyeball?

So the airline pilot let ATC vector him into a VFR target? How is that the corporate chief pilots fault? The corporate guy was flying legally where he had a right to be. With his transponder on, I'm sure. And there was approach radar AND TCAS in play, no? Not to mention the Mark 1 Mod 1 Eyeball?
Just curious... do you have all the facts or just what you have read in this thread?

Somehow you are making this the airline pilots fault.

Just curious... do you have all the facts or just what you have read in this thread?

Somehow you are making this the airline pilots fault.

No more so than other people chose to make it a corporate pilots fault who was allegedly legally operating in Class E airspace. If the letter happened as alleged, it was a douche move.

No more so than other people chose to make it a corporate pilots fault who was allegedly legally operating in Class E airspace. If the letter happened as alleged, it was a douche move.
If....

Sheesh... shouldn't have to say this, but do you really take fourth hand reporting on an internet board as gospel???

I think the airline pilot's normal separation from IFR traffic was compromised by a risk-taking "cowboy" in a corporate jet and didn't like it. Or maybe he was turned to avoid said cowboy and didn't like being inconvenienced. I didn't see the letter myself. They didn't have TCAS in the 1970s, btw. I was a corporate pilot myself and wouldn't cancel instruments over top of a TCA (class B nowadays) just because I didn't like the treatment. I would (and have) complained via phone after landing. I agree with the airline pilot--that was bad judgment. The CEO, no doubt, didn't like having his life risked for a few seconds of expediency or his company's name tarnished by some renegade pilot.

I do know this pilot canceled IFR departing New York City as soon as he got above the TCA and turned direct to his destination while climbing unrestricted to avoid the routing and step climbs of ATC. What do you think of that decision?

dtuuri

Last edited:
Happens all the time. I usually get MOTIF rather than KELSI lately on my transit from KSPW to KCMH.
That's also not in our airspace. I don't doubt Chicago Center is routing you guys around the airspace. What altitudes are you cruising at getting those routings?

I'm not an ATC expert, but a long time GA pilot; the critical element of separation (it seems to me) is altitude, and we (GA) don't go up (or down) very fast. In constricted airspace, it's gotta be tough mixing aircraft with such widely varying performance. Add in some weather, and now the controller has even less room to fit us all in. I recall an anecdote about an IFR Cheyenne (admittedly a higher-end GA aircraft), getting a vector to avoid traffic in a sky full of thunderstorms. The turn would out him in a cell, and he declined ("unable") - some fairly frantic back and forth ensued, with the Cheyenne canceling IFR and changing to a VFR altitude. It wrecked the controller's planning, cause of whatever his separation minimums were. No one was being a jerk - the controller was trying to follow his rules, and the Cheyenne pilot wanted to survive . . .the system wasn't up to the stress the approach procedures, weather, rules, and aircraft performance put on it.

If the VFR guy was legal, and the other guy (airliner) didn't like the separation, his beef was with the system (or ATC), as I see it. BUT . . . the VFR guy was being a selfish jerk, too, even if legal.

That's also not in our airspace. I don't doubt Chicago Center is routing you guys around the airspace. What altitudes are you cruising at getting those routings?

Below 15k. The one that I find silly is when I'm flying to Gary and the make me go to BDF for the LUCIT.one arrival. That's getting pretty greedy with your airspace when direct lucit would keep things clear.

If the VFR guy was legal, and the other guy (airliner) didn't like the separation, his beef was with the system (or ATC), as I see it. BUT . . . the VFR guy was being a selfish jerk, too, even if legal.

Exactly my point.
I'm forced to conclude you think more regulation of pilot behavior is required to prevent jerks from using bad judgment. I prefer the airline pilot's method myself--it sent a message without penalizing those who use good judgment.

dtuuri

Bear in mind that I'm not a pilot but an A&P/IA with a minuscule knowledge of ATC procedures. While trying to avoid thunderstorms and asking Chicago center for a deviation to go around them the pilot I was flying with was denied his request hands down and we were sent on a long diversion to the south of Chicago.. The same thing has occurred with Cleveland Center and I have to make the presumption that other Class Bravo's have the same attitude. Some are helpful, others are not.

The friend I fly with is based at KFRG and is known to New York controllers. Why is there such divergent opinion between centers and approach controllers? I thought they were there to direct traffic, not deny them entry to their fiefdom.
I don't have any experience with the Chicago Bravo but I do fly near the Cleveland Bravo and go through it a few times a year. The route depends largely on the landing direction at CLE. If I am going from CAK to PCW and CLE is landing to the east, I get routed around the arrival corridor. If they are landing to the west, I generally get cleared direct from CAK. CLE Bravo controllers have always been accommodating.

Bear in mind that I'm not a pilot but an A&P/IA with a minuscule knowledge of ATC procedures. While trying to avoid thunderstorms and asking Chicago center for a deviation to go around them the pilot I was flying with was denied his request hands down and we were sent on a long diversion to the south of Chicago.. The same thing has occurred with Cleveland Center and I have to make the presumption that other Class Bravo's have the same attitude. Some are helpful, others are not.

The friend I fly with is based at KFRG and is known to New York controllers. Why is there such divergent opinion between centers and approach controllers? I thought they were there to direct traffic, not deny them entry to their fiefdom.
I don't think I've ever been denied a deviation for weather. It's not really a request from me. I'm going to do it. I'm not going to get rocked by a CB cloud.

I'm not going to get rocked by a CB cloud.

As well you shouldn't. The key is, if you are operating with ATC, communicate your intentions as soon as possible. If I know what you need to do, I can implement a plan to let you do so while keeping Grandma Sue's* airliner out of your grill.

Please understand that while my weather radar might be pretty good, it's no substitute for your eyes while behind the yoke. My weather radar typically only shows precipitation. Your eyes show the developing anger in those cumulonimbus skies. If you tell me or my colleagues what's going on, we can not only help you get through the weather, but ensure those pilots and passengers behind you don't have to endure the same conditions.

*if your grandma isn't named Sue, I apologize. Kindly re-insert your real grandmother's name in place and utilize the same analogy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A number of years ago I had a complete battle with a NY center controller (could have been tracon, can't remember exactly).
Anyway, we were holding for one of the NYC airports and we could not do it. The pattern out us directly into a ominous looking cell. Not a CB, a true cell.
We said no but the ATC guy said NO deviations do to traffic and airspace. We said we have no choice and must deviate NOW. He said NO, unapproved. Traffic and airspace....
we could NOT go through what was in front of us. I'm a pretty hearty fellow, but this monster wasn't didn't look uncomfy, but I truly feared for the wing attachments.
I said we CANNOT go straight ahead. If you say we must the "e word" will come out. A different voice came on the radio and vectored us away.

I'm forced to conclude you think more regulation of pilot behavior is required to prevent jerks from using bad judgment. I prefer the airline pilot's method myself--it sent a message without penalizing those who use good judgment.

dtuuri
Your conclusion would be inaccurate. The corporate jerk was someplace he had a right to be, jerk or not. The airliner was on vectors and IFR and the controller told him where to go. In other words, I dont feel the jerk was at fault nor did he break any rules. And I dont feel the airline captain sending a letter trying to get the jerk fired for something that didn't break the rules was appropriate either. If you disagree with the jerk being VFR 500 feet or however much above the class b, then YOU can advocate for surface to 18000 for Class B's.. but that or any other regulations are not my idea for what the solution would be.

I would respectfully suggest that ATC refrain from vectoring or climbing the big fast movers into VFR traffic in Class E airspace above the Class B though. I'm sure that can be accomplished without new rulemaking.

Your conclusion would be inaccurate. The corporate jerk was someplace he had a right to be, jerk or not. The airliner was on vectors and IFR and the controller told him where to go. In other words, I dont feel the jerk was at fault nor did he break any rules. And I dont feel the airline captain sending a letter trying to get the jerk fired for something that didn't break the rules was appropriate either. If you disagree with the jerk being VFR 500 feet or however much above the class b, then YOU can advocate for surface to 18000 for Class B's.. but that or any other regulations are not my idea for what the solution would be.

I would respectfully suggest that ATC refrain from vectoring or climbing the big fast movers into VFR traffic in Class E airspace above the Class B though. I'm sure that can be accomplished without new rulemaking.
I think we need to "go along to get along" sometimes and this was one of those times. I'm not in favor of having government settle every little issue, calling the cops on your neighbor when you could simply discuss it directly for instance. I see what the airline pilot wrote to the CEO as doing just that. Bottom line? The CEO agreed. I'd put it in the same category as drivers who pass a line of cars backed up due to a lane closure and then butt in line up ahead. Legal? Sure. Good judgment? Nope.

dtuuri

Back