If you own a truck and live in the rust belt.

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
IMG_9994.jpeg

Here’s your motivation to go treat your rocker panels, fenders, and cab corners with some kind of corrosion inhibitor. This is a 2012 with less than 100,000 miles on it and we absolutely made an effort to run it through the car wash after use on salted roads.

Hard to see in the photos but the drivers side was significantly worse. I had to weld in new metal along the bottom edge just to have something to attach the new rocker panels to…. And there was rot going way up the rear corner of the cab… a piece of the old rocker is now welded in there but it’s coming along.

IMG_9940.jpeg
IMG_9983.jpeg

I wonder how much the treatments actually delay the inevitable. My old F-150 was probably just as bad if not worse when I traded it in for a new F-150. I'm curious to see how the new aluminum body ones fair in a corrosive environment.

Stop running it through the carwash in the winter. All that salt just gets jammed up into the drain holes and any crevice in the metal it can find and stays there. I live in the rusty northeast in a state that sprays the road with rust forming nasty chemicals every time there is even a hint of snow or ice coming and my 2010 yukon with 200k has almost no rust on the body and only surface rust on the frame. It will occasionally get washed in the winter but some of the worst cars with rust around here are those that are hitting the car wash up every week all winter long. If I had a newer vehicle I might try spraying the underside down with fluid film but again, if you are constantly washing all winter it’s just going to quickly wear off.

Stop running it through the carwash in the winter. All that salt just gets jammed up into the drain holes and any crevice in the metal it can find and stays there. I live in the rusty northeast in a state that sprays the road with rust forming nasty chemicals every time there is even a hint of snow or ice coming and my 2010 yukon with 200k has almost no rust on the body and only surface rust on the frame. It will occasionally get washed in the winter but some of the worst cars with rust around here are those that are hitting the car wash up every week all winter long. If I had a newer vehicle I might try spraying the underside down with fluid film but again, if you are constantly washing all winter it’s just going to quickly wear off.
Give it a few more years. my Yukon XL 2002 is accelerating fast. It was fine till the last few years. It's my tool truck and sits....but is quickly decaying

Give it a few more years. my Yukon XL 2002 is accelerating fast. It was fine till the last few years. It's my tool truck and sits....but is quickly decaying
We had a 2002 Yukon xl before this one. If you look at the two model years you will see the rockers aren’t as exposed so they don’t tend to rust out as fast on the 2010. The bottom of the door mostly covers and protects them. I check the frame and anything structural or suspension related pretty regularly as we tow horses with it every week so I’m pretty confident the 2010 has already another 5 or 6 years left. I will agree though that our 2002 did deteriorate pretty rapidly. We got rid of it as soon on as I started getting uncomfortable of what was left of the frame. The one thing I did love on the 2002 was it had the 5.3 engine without displacement on demand. I have had to rebuild the engine twice on the 2010 because of that crappy lifter design. The last time I did a new cam and full delete. Don’t buy a newer Yukon that still has DOD.

Soak it with Fluid Film. Heard mixed reviews about those black underbody coatings. Some of them trap moisture inside and speed up corrosion.

That black crud is almost certainly going to block the drain holes.

I worry about the water used in automatic car washes. Ours is recycled because of our aridity, no way they can filter salt.
Of course salt is not a huge problem where I am; but possibly in other areas it is...and they recycle?

Anyway you look t it, its SAD! Do car mfg's subsidize the road salt they use? It's bad here when they started using mag chloride. Before they used gravel. It was bad, sand blasting your car then hitting it with salt water. Sad for sure.

Anyway you look t it, its SAD! Do car mfg's subsidize the road salt they use? It's bad here when they started using mag chloride. Before they used gravel. It was bad, sand blasting your car then hitting it with salt water. Sad for sure.
Here in Saskatchewan they often use potash instead of salt. Big potash mines here. Potash eats metal too.

Can you believe this CyberTruck is only a few months old?!?

53709618494_bf9493a641_z.jpg

(Seriously - it’s a wrap!)

Owned a lot of trucks since the late 70s. The issue is poor quality components. You can put all the prevention treatments you like on the metal, but it will rust anyway on model years the manufacturer cuts corners on quality.

I live in the dry desert, what is this rust y'all speak of.?? :lol:

Seriously, there is not one speck of rust on any of my vehicles.

Back