If ForeFlight could display the Jepp Charts....

If ForeFlight could use the Jepp Charts, would you switch?

• Total voters
FF is the pioneer in SAAS for the pilot crowd. Garmin is getting there. Jepp due to their bloat, will eventually get there. It's all good! :yesnod:

I suspect that if the airlines didn't require the operator-specific customization services that Jeppesen provides, they would be using government charts too.

I suspect that if the airlines didn't require the operator-specific customization services that Jeppesen provides, they would be using government charts too.

There are airlines using ForeFlight and government plates. The issue is with international operations.

There are airlines using ForeFlight and government plates. The issue is with international operations.
Yep. For more than one reason. Obvious that the free US government charts don't cover over countries. Other countries may charge for them and multiple countries mean multiple contracts. Different countries have different formats.

Jepp provides a single source with consistent formatting, whatever country you go to. That's a bargain.

I understand the Jeppesen has their own deal with APPs; however, Jeppensen should stick to what id does best and publish the information, let others like ForeFlight and Garmin be the delivery platform..

Can't tell ya how many publishers say, hey we can do this, only to fail after wasting a lot of money..

I may be completely wrong here, and I am sure someone on this board will be quick to tell me if I am but I thought I read somewhere that Jeppesen's approach plates were not scaled properly, or not to scale, which would make georeferencing and superimposing the approach plate on charts impossible.

I supposed I would give them a try depending on price. I am quite happy with foreflight and the free plates. They work fine. In fairness I really have never given Jepp charts a chance.

I may be completely wrong here, and I am sure someone on this board will be quick to tell me if I am but I thought I read somewhere that Jeppesen's approach plates were not scaled properly, or not to scale, which would make georeferencing and superimposing the approach plate on charts impossible.
I haven't played with FlightDeck in about 5 years but AFAIK, they have had georeferenced approach plates fir at least 3 years. From the FlightDeck manual discussion on terminal procedures:

From this view, you can also track your aircraft position on geo- referenced airport diagrams and approach procedures,

When I was dealing with Jeppesen for my company they were insistent that each subscription (iPad) was tied to a tail number and you only got three or four licenses per plane. We wanted to just get each pilot a license and dispatch and they wouldn't have it.

With that in mind I can see Jepp may not like the idea of putting their charts into FF and then being used in loads of different planes by whoever happens to have the iPad at that time. With Garmin it's an installed piece of equipment so the connection to a plane is easier.

I have no idea why they were so insistent on licensing aircraft over pilots, but they were. To me a sale is a sale, but what'evs...

I wouldn't see this happening as you describe. What I see occurring is that we pay for the Jepp database via JeppDirect.com and obtain a "you paid for it" token that FF can use to connect (much like we can connect to 1800WXBRIEF for our weather brief and to file flight plans). As far as FF's monetizing, it would be part of their "Pro Plus" Pricing.
Do you realize that full Jepp electronic chart subscription for the whole US is almost $500?

I voted "no," although there is probably (unlikely) a price point where I might.

Like a lot of folks, I was bitten by the Jepp bug. Better quality paper, arguably clearer presentation, and, of course, they were cool since the airlines used them. (It also helped that Jepp was down the street - almost literally - and I had friends who worked there.) I'd switch between the two; no big deal.

I went back to FAA charts full time when they appeared in EFBs. The paper difference became irrelevant. With such things as the briefing strip, some topography, etc, the FAA charts improved enough that the differences are, to me, anyway, small. Maybe not completely inconsequential, but like the difference between XM Weather and ADS-B, not worth the cost difference.
Jepp charts are great....if you can afford them. The average recreation GA pilot has zero interest in paying that kind of money.

I got my IR in 1969 and have always used the government charts, and I'm not about to change now. When I was instructing in the early 1970s, I was the designated instrument instructor at our school for cheapska ... er, students who wanted to use government charts; students who wanted to use Jepps went to the other guys.

Having trouble posting links?

You could have just stuck with your original post (before you edited it to add the link) that spelled out the price.

Yes, I was mistaken. The Jepp FD charts are less. I was confusing them with the 430/530 WAAS IFR subscription for the lower 48 which is $512/year.

The amount of bad information here is crazy.
I have Garmin Pilot APP (not Garmin hardware GPS) on my iPad. I paid for the Jepp charts. It is $199 for the entire USA for 1 year on top of Garmin Pilot's normal prices. It works great I have access to both the Jepp charts and the FAA charts. IMO Jeppesen is way better.
This is the reason I chose GP over FF. I learned IFR with Jepp charts and I always liked them better.

Looks like the ForeFlight crew has been reading PoA...

Available this summer. Jeppesen charts will be available as an option in all ForeFlight individual plans, as well as in the Business Pro plan

https://foreflight.com/products/jeppesen/

upload_2017-5-4_14-26-27.png

Fantastic. At the end of the approach it really doesn't matter which you use but for those of us who have used nothing but Jepps, this is welcome.

I prefer gov plates myself.

Garmin Pilot has had Jeppesen Charts since July of last year. We are dumping Jeppesen in the plane due to their erratic G1000 releases and convoluted user client and high price. We will be going Garmin charts in the EFB and in the panel after next month.

I'll use either one, but I like options. Plus for teaching, it'd be nice to show students the Jepp stuff just so they've seen it... before they HAVE to use them somewhere for a job.

True, but for the job aspect, they'll cover than in indoc/sim training.

True, but for the job aspect, they'll cover than in indoc/sim training.

Understood, but might as well show them one sometime before that. No need to go into it deeply, but so many folks getting sucked up these days quickly who haven't been around long enough to remember the "joy" of keeping paper Jepp subscriptions updated... LOL...

Understood, but might as well show them one sometime before that. No need to go into it deeply, but so many folks getting sucked up these days quickly who haven't been around long enough to remember the "joy" of keeping paper Jepp subscriptions updated... LOL...

Lol, oh I still do

Then you'll have to tell them to give me my $50 back.

The charts are still FREE.

Why should anybody else but you do that?

You're complaining about $100 for VFR, Terminal, IFR charts, WAC and approach plates? What would YOU charge?

Disclaimer: I already get all of this stuff for free, through work. Foreflight, Jeppesen, and pretty much anything else I want.

That said...

1) Jeppesen is a superior charting product. Hands down, period, no argument, end of story. I would gently suggest that anyone who prefers government products to Jeppesen simply isn't familiar enough with the product. There is a learning curve, although a fairly small one. There's no department in which the Jeppesen products don't offer more and better data with greater clarity and ease of understanding, but if you're forming your entire opinion by casually glancing at a couple of charts, the justification for that won't be obvious.

However...

2) I get along "just fine" with the government product, if I need to. I'd be hard pressed to "personally" pay even the $199 yearly cost to Foreflight for adding Jeppesen into the app, even though I do vastly prefer Jeppesen. And that $199 represents a dramatic reduction in cost from years past; wasn't too long ago that a North Amerca subscription was around a thousand bucks a year. So $199 is a great value, and might be worth it for some, although note that it doesn't include enroute charts, which to me is a critical area in which the offer lacks. To others, it may not matter.

3) But if it's free? Free to get the Jepp data vs. government charts? Jeez, that's a no-brainer. Anyone and everyone should sign up for that. That's a nice upgrade in charts for zero bucks in the hypothetical scenario.

But finally...

4) The last consideration has to be Jeppesen's relatively abysmal software products, notably Jepp Mobile FD, which is actually the best and most refined of a long line of clunky PC and "tablet computer" apps (Flightview, etc.) released by Jeppesen. But it's still a royal pain in the rear end in terms of reliability and usability. Jeppesen really isn't good at software, especially UI but also reliability, and that really hasn't changed much in the modern era, though again -- Mobile FD is the best they've put out in their history, by far. So in my view you really have to think about the value proposition of getting the Jeppesen data without dealing with the Jeppesen software. That's a real and tangible benefit in my view.

I'd love to get the charts in Foreflight, IF I could keep my enroute chart data which I presently get in Mobile FD. But I can't give that up just to view charts in FF, as cool as that would be.

LOL. Love the Dude...

Why should anybody else but you do that?

You're complaining about $100 for VFR, Terminal, IFR charts, WAC and approach plates? What would YOU charge?

FF is more polished, but there are apps where you can get all that free. FltPlan GO has really improved their interface the last two years.

Agreed re: Fltplan Go. It's gotten good enough to warrant serious consideration. You just can't beat the price...

Back