If ForeFlight could display the Jepp Charts....

If ForeFlight could use the Jepp Charts, would you switch?

• Total voters
Yep. For more than one reason. Obvious that the free US government charts don't cover over countries. Other countries may charge for them and multiple countries mean multiple contracts. Different countries have different formats.

Jepp provides a single source with consistent formatting, whatever country you go to. That's a bargain.

This is key for me. I'm planning to fly to Argentina in the next year, and I was dreading having to gather all the charts for all the countries I plan to fly in. Now I just pay Jepp $253 and I get all of South America. I think just Argentina charges $50 for their charts (the "MAPRI" - $700 pesos according to this page), and I think they're on paper! Definitely a bargain in my case.

So Foreflight should give away their product.

Interesting approach. Just out of curiosity, do you work for free also?

Don't think he's saying Foreflight should give away their product, just saying that the data FF uses and presents (just like Jepp collects and presents) is available open source. The free option may not be as clean and polished, but it is still an option. If users like the presentation that FF and Jepp offer, then by all means, pay the fee.

And for the record, I like Jepp plates, despise the interface of Jepp FD, and enjoy the user experience FF provides. Put me in the camp that would be willing to pay the fee. But I can also appreciate the free route as well, especially if I was just boring holes in the sky on the leisurely weekend morning. YMMV

Last edited:
And for the record, I like Jepp plates, despise interface Jepp FD, and enjoy the user experience FF provides. Put me in the camp that would be willing to pay the fee. But I can also appreciate the free route as well, especially if I was just boring holes in the sky on the leisurely weekend morning. YMMV
That's the key to 99.9% of the silly "which is better" arguments. We all think what's best is the one we decide to use after (consciously or not) considering features, interface, cost and probably a dozen other variables. Yes, the EFB app (and data) I would choose it I limited myself to VFR flight is probably different than the one I choose now.

Don't think he's saying Foreflight should give away their product, just saying that the data FF uses and presents (just like Jepp collects and presents) is available open source.

I would disagree. They stated that their response was an answer to the question of: How much should Foreflight charge for their product (which I only asked because someone felt that $100 per year for charts and approach plates was excessive).

The fact that the charts are available for free is irrelevant.

That would be the same as saying that because you can build a chair using found wood for $0 then every chair should be free.

If FF gave away their product, you'd have to read an ad before you could read a chart...

Was looking for something else, and found this. What do you know, ForeFlight has Jepp now (I think since last year at Oshkosh-ish).

Maybe starting a poll on PoA is the key to getting a new feature from them. ;)

Was looking for something else, and found this. What do you know, ForeFlight has Jepp now (I think since last year at Oshkosh-ish).

Maybe starting a poll on PoA is the key to getting a new feature from them. ;)

I’m off to go start the “Should ForeFlight’s price continue rising? “ poll if that’s the case. Hahahaha.

Back