I thought I wanted a Mooney...

... but so what, how often, in any plane, are seats on the exact same lock hole? put the "yeah well you gotta stagger the seats" bs to rest already, it's tiring.

I'm enjoying this nice break from bashing the Cirrus planes/pilots. :D

Everyone has their preferences. I've flown a Mooney before; not much though. I really didn't think my wife would like the sitting position. I drive a Mustang convertible and a 328i before that, so I'm fine with sitting low. She's not wild about it. I didn't find the Mooney any harder to exit than any other one door plane. It's not hard, but is a bit more work than with a door on the pilot side as well as the co-pilot side. Yawn.

I'm enjoying this nice break from bashing the Cirrus planes/pilots. :D

Everyone has their preferences. I've flown a Mooney before; not much though. I really didn't think my wife would like the sitting position. I drive a Mustang convertible and a 328i before that, so I'm fine with sitting low. She's not wild about it. I didn't find the Mooney any harder to exit than any other one door plane. It's not hard, but is a bit more work than with a door on the pilot side as well as the co-pilot side. Yawn.

Don't worry, we'll get back to you soon enough. :D

...looks of them.

My only Mooney experience was David White's M20J, beautiful airplane like a fighter. I though "this thing aught to be light and nimble", boy was I shocked that it felt more like steering a dump truck that had power steering but no fluid in it.

No thanks.

Let me know when you realize the PA-32 is your answer.

and understand to NEVER allow your wife to sit in one until you’re ready to buy.

1) A six place PA32? Yeah, that would an amazing choice as well. Might be harder to find and afford given there few for sale vs Skylanes. But flying a six place PA32? That would be living large.

2) Wife in my case must be on board with what we buy. It's part of my retirement plan of retiring early and becoming a trophy husband while she keeps teaching/working.

My only Mooney experience was David White's M20J, beautiful airplane like a fighter. I though "this thing aught to be light and nimble", boy was I shocked that it felt more like steering a dump truck that had power steering but no fluid in it.

No thanks.
But according to some here, its a VERY PRECISE dump truck! LOL

I havent flown many planes in my life but ill say this....there is nothing like a bonanza! They are so comfy, fast, and just an all around joy to fly. Like you I came from a cherokee 180 and the first time in a V35 I was hooked, nothing that I have previously flown can even come close. I've tried a mooney and it didn't tickle my fancy, I've tried a C177 but was just to slow, same with a Sierra. Truthfully Im not a fan of high wings in general because it seems I have less visibility looking out or up. Sightseeing they are great no doubt. But don't fly in a bonanza unless you are fully prepared to buy one because I promise it will make you want it.

And no reason why $160k can't get you a really nice S or V35. The v35b will always be the most but the S35 is the first year of the fast ones, its it is the fastest. I have a V35, got a good off market deal on it, and flight plan at 170kts but your 160k can get alot of a bonanza. Maintenance hasn't been bad, fuel is about like my cherokee in that I get there an hour or 2 faster but insurance, my heavans insurance. I went from $450 annually to $2200! But no regerts! It's my last plane.

And commanches are down right sexy planes. Never flown in one but they were on my list of upgrades.
This one looks real nice, and in my price range...but unfortunately I'm on day 2 of an 11 day working stretch, and it'll probably be sold by the time I get time off.

https://www.controller.com/listing/...beechcraft-v35-bonanza-piston-single-aircraft

Like I said, even with the seats staggered I still have my arm jammed into my rib cage to close the door, and you know first hand I'm not fat. Now put another person my size next to me, we would have to sit so far towards the center of the plane our shoulders would be overlapped. Mooneys are fine for some people, but not for most of my group of friends. Until my social dynamic shifted in the past 4-5 years, I was the SHORTEST (and narrowest save 1) of all my friends.
You sound like a kid telling his parents the ugly coat doesn’t fit while you’re wiggling around making sure it doesn’t fit.

You sound like a kid telling his parents the ugly coat doesn’t fit while you’re wiggling around making sure it doesn’t fit.

Because I am somehow supposed to be able to quantum tunnel 1/4 of my body? Yeah, OK.

How do you solve sitting in the middle of the seat and having your arm pressed into your rib cage?

Because I am somehow supposed to be able to quantum tunnel 1/4 of my body? Yeah, OK.

How do you solve sitting in the middle of the seat and having your arm pressed into your rib cage?
I find most GA aircraft to be uncomfortable in some way. I’m 6’6” and wear a 48 jacket. The only airplane I have ever flown that I didn’t feel like some part of the airplane was where some part of me wants to be was the Airbus A-320.

You could have just said you found the Mooney uncomfortable but instead it’s all dramatic and moneys suck and I have huge muscles but I’m not fat and Seat staggering is dumb and blah blah blaaady blah. This coat sucks…

I’m just saying you sound really complainy. That’s all.

Last edited:
2) Wife in my case must be on board with what we buy. It's part of my retirement plan of retiring early and becoming a trophy husband while she keeps teaching/working.

That's kinda my point.

If wifey gets within door-opening distance of a PA-32, she'll be on-board, whether you are, or not. :) That's simply how it works.

I find most GA aircraft to be uncomfortable in some way. I’m 6’6” and wear a 48 jacket. The only airplane I have ever flown that I don’t feel like some part of the airplane is where some part of me wants to be is the Airbus A-320.

I’m just saying you sound really complainy. That’s all.

Fair enough, it's just that every person that has a Mooney makes it sounds like you are flying top deck on 747. It's not. But if you say it's tight, the world ****ing ends. And they try and convince you otherwise. I've been in multiple, every single one jams my arm into my side no matter where the seat is.

169 replies and nobody's bothered to mention an R44. Twice the complexity and four times the cost of a comparable fixed wing GA aircraft. That will give you bragging rights about expenses.

Actually maybe someone did. I didn't bother to read 169 replies. I'm just here to troll the thread.

Fair enough, it's just that every person that has a Mooney makes it sounds like you are flying top deck on 747. It's not. But if you say it's tight, the world ****ing ends. And they try and convince you otherwise. I've been in multiple, every single one jams my arm into my side no matter where the seat is.

yeah, kinda wrong. it's the "mooney is tighter than all other GA planes", and like @Tarheelpilot said, they are pretty much all cramped. well, except a comanche, of course. I haven't gotten into a single 'standard' GA plane and not felt cramped. and especially considering both the OP and myself have extensively flown cherokees, I found it odd that he found the mooney over-cramped compared to the cherokee. I find them to be about the same, with a slight advantage going to the mooney.

I'd like to clarify my 'slight advantage' statement by saying there's no way you're getting a guy like @RDUPilot in the back of a cherokee. he flew in the back of my F and while I'm not saying he had room to do jumping jacks, he had room. that simply isn't happening in a cherokee.

yeah, kinda wrong. it's the "mooney is tighter than all other GA planes", and like @Tarheelpilot said, they are pretty much all cramped. well, except a comanche, of course. I haven't gotten into a single 'standard' GA plane and not felt cramped. and especially considering both the OP and myself have extensively flown cherokees, I found it odd that he found the mooney over-cramped compared to the cherokee. I find them to be about the same, with a slight advantage going to the mooney.

What I love to do: Once we've reached cruising altitude and the captain's turned off the seat belt sign, I rock the seat full aft. I can fully stretch out my legs, it's so wonderful!

169 replies and nobody's bothered to mention an R44. Twice the complexity and four times the cost of a comparable fixed wing GA aircraft. That will give you bragging rights about expenses.

Actually maybe someone did. I didn't bother to read 169 replies. I'm just here to troll the thread.
If you’re going that route I would recommend a Huey. Way more expensive but you can take 10 of your closest friends out for a ride.

What I love to do: Once we've reached cruising altitude and the captain's turned off the seat belt sign, I rock the seat full aft. I can fully stretch out my legs, it's so wonderful!

can only go so far back in a cherokee.

If you’re going that route I would recommend a Huey. Way more expensive but you can take 10 of your closest friends out for a ride.

If I had a Huey, I'd install a loudspeaker system and buzz the neighborhood with the 'Ride of the Valkyries" song.

This thread makes me laugh. So dramatic about your preferences. Every airplane is different ergonomically. I don’t find a Mooney to be all that different than other airplanes. Yea the panel is a little more in your face but I dont think that’s a bad thing once you get used to it. A bonanza is just as narrow if not more so. It just feels more airy because of the large Windows, seat height, and panel distance. If you want comfort get a cirrus or a 182/210 for a more chair like sitting experience. If you want speed you have to make some ergo compromises.

Rent a different plane every time you fly. When you find one you like, Bingo....:rolleyes:

I never said all. Three most comfy planes for width that I've flown: Sierra (which I dislike for other reasons) PA32 and the Comanche. Mooneys are about as tight as Cherokees, but the Cherokee I owned for 4 years I never had either of my arms jammed into my side. Back seat on the 72 and earlier, yeah, pretty small, not putting 4 adults in there with 6 footers in the front seats. Never flew the extended model, so can't comment on back seat room. Having been in a Comanche for 11 years, climbing into pretty much anything else is cramped (PA32 excluded). Now someone is going to say "it's the same width as the Comanche!" or some BS. Take a tape measure out to the plane and measure the width WHERE IT COUNTS - and of course for each person that's going to be different. Some guys are widest at the ass, some at the shoulders, and some at the head. That's the big takeaway on what the width of every plane's cabin width is. Where is it measured, and where is the wide part of the pilot? A triangle, a parabola, and semi circle with the same base and height as a square are all going to feel completely different, but the square is always going to be roomiest - at a speed or fuel cost. But when I've got people trying to convince me that I will fit in a Mooney just the same as a Comanche or a Lance? Please.

...But when I've got people trying to convince me that I will fit in a Mooney just the same as a Comanche or a Lance? Please.

absolutely no one said that. so, there's that.

But all things are never equal. Grummans have equally short throws but sprightly handling. Had Al Mooney wanted more responsive control in roll, he could have modified the ailerons to provide it and still had a short throw. I think he saw heavy controls as a feature, not a bug.
Grummans have their mass balance weights far ahead of the aileron hinge line out on a lever arm. Diamond Star DA40's have them on a paddle that makes me wonder if it's meant to double as an aileron spade. I don't remember where Mooneys put their mass balance weights. Do you think that's what makes their ailerons stiffer?

the infamous "in your face" mooney panel:

View attachment 97635
It’s all relative. Most people use a 172 as the “standard”. The Mooney panel is probably 6” or so closer to you than a Cessna. Most obvious example of this is shown in your picture. Your knees are in line with the panel and the windshield is pretty much even with the panel. Compare that to a 172 and it is closer. I prefer that as it makes it easier to reach everything. The venture is the same way so I’m probably biased.

absolutely no one said that. so, there's that.

"4 reasonable sized adults fit just fine" Unless somehow being over 6' makes someone a carnival attraction suddenly. For me "reasonable" is 5-8 to 6-4. So I should be able to fit 4 at 6'4 in there just fine. But you and both know that ain't happening.

It’s all relative. Most people use a 172 as the “standard”. The Mooney panel is probably 6” or so closer to you than a Cessna. Most obvious example of this is shown in your picture. Your knees are in line with the panel and the windshield is pretty much even with the panel. Compare that to a 172 and it is closer. I prefer that as it makes it easier to reach everything. The venture is the same way so I’m probably biased.

The panel in the J is certainly closer than a 172, but also lower, easier to see over. Every plane is going to feel different.

a 172 ain't standard nuthin!

I am curious though, does anyone have a similar pic to mine, similar angle, in a 172? just curious to compare. unlike some people (who's name rhymes with 'shmanshalum') I don't know 172's well enough to go spreading filthy internet lies about. I mean other than they're high wings, that much I'm qualified to state.

The panel in the J is certainly closer than a 172, but also lower, easier to see over. Every plane is going to feel different.
An Archer is probably the most difficult plane to see out of ice ever been in. It has the panel height of a 172 and the seating position of a Mooney.

Me seated in my normal position, I don't see the panel as being that close, but to each their own.

upload_2021-6-25_11-44-45.jpeg

a 172 ain't standard nuthin!

I am curious though, does anyone have a similar pic to mine, similar angle, in a 172? just curious to compare. unlike some people (who's name rhymes with 'shmanshalum') I don't know 172's well enough to go spreading filthy internet lies about. I mean other than they're high wings, that much I'm qualified to state.
Like it or not it’s what most people learn to fly in so that’s what they base all other experiences on. Google Cessna 172 interior. There are a few pictures from a similar angle. You can see their knees are in front of the panel even with the more upright seating position. You can also see how much you have to reach for everything compared to your picture.

An Archer is probably the most difficult plane to see out of ice ever been in. It has the panel height of a 172 and the seating position of a Mooney.

I think that's why they went with adjustable height seats at one point -or at least I thought the had them on later models.

Looks to me that you're attacking people based on their size.

Not at all, different strokes for different folks. Just a pity they can't enjoy what I feel is the biggest bang for the buck in all of GA.

Not at all, different strokes for different folks. Just a pity they can't enjoy what I feel is the biggest bang for the buck in all of GA.

You said that about Cherokees when you owned one too, since you didn't have to deal with all that pesky maintenance of a retract.

You said that about Cherokees when you owned one too, since you didn't have to deal with all that pesky maintenance of a retract.
Cherokees are great little trainers and fun airplanes. I wanted a faster aircraft, and the Mooney really fit the bill for me. I admit Comanches are cavernous inside, lots of room for you bigger folks. But you have two extra cylinders to feed and quite a bit more complexity. I didn't need the room, so I went with the Mooney and have been very happy I did.

The one thing I really really liked about the Cherokee was simplicity. There are only 1200 parts in the whole airframe. I could decowl the engine in about 30 seconds to give it a good look over. The Mooney airframe has 7000 parts, and if I want to look at the engine I have about 30 minutes of work to do so, and another 30 to put everything back together. I have to admit, I miss the simplicity of the Cherokee. But I'm not sorry I switched. Mrs. Steingar didn't like the Mooney at first, she didn't like it at all. After I got us back from DC in two hours she liked it just fine. She really likes it now that her friend in Alma Michigan can be visited in a day trip.

Back