I think I've got a dream ...

I told about landing fees. Imagine you must pay 600$ to land to KVNY or KSMO or 100$ to land to KAVX :eek::eek:

I maintain, taxes are lower in the US than in France ( sales tax : 20% :eek:o_O )
600$ to land at VNY's or SMO? Any airport charging that kind of a landing fee wouldn't last long. Landing fee's are nowhere near those prices.

600$ to land at VNY's or SMO? Any airport charging that kind of a landing fee wouldn't last long. Landing fee's are nowhere near those prices.
They are if you are flying a larger business jet, although they are not landing fees, they are handling fees charged by the FBO.

I maintain, taxes are lower in the US than in France ( sales tax : 20% :eek:o_O )

Psst; don't tell anybody.

People over here need to feel like they are paying the worse taxes in the world or things just doesn't make sense to them.

So France with a total average tax rate of 71.3% is actually "lower" than the US tax rate. It's alternative math you see.

Last edited:
Psst; don't tell anybody.

People over here feel like they are paying the worse taxes in the world or things just doesn't make sense to them.

So France with a total average tax rate of 71.3% is actually lower than the US tax rate. It's alternative math you see.
...and you want to live in a one bedroom flat, share a bathroom, and ride a bicycle to work? :eek:

Just out of curiosity, what are career opportunities like in Algeria?

Is my plan realist ??
Does the industry hire pilots ??
Is Trump a risk for me ??
Can a muslim live in USA without problems ??
1) Yes, good luck in your quest. There are many foreign pilots learning in the US.
2) Yes, pilot's with the proper qualifications and a pulse.
3) No, providing you come here legally.
4) Absolutely. The average American doesn't have a problem with Muslim's. They have a problem with Islamic Terrorists.

As far as being a Muslim is concerned, I work with (and work for) many and have many Muslim friends. Certain people can be extremely prejudiced against Muslims and certain political figures have expressed a desire to prevent Muslims from immigrating. Haters are going to hate. But, many of us know better and realize that we are all people - and all people are pretty much the same no matter where you go or come from. How things will play out over the next few years is hard to say. Personally, I hate to have to say this, but if you come to the U.S., think about a location with a substantial Muslim population such as south east Michigan where you are less likely to be singled out - lots of good engineering schools in the area so that isn't an issue (Wayne State, University of Michigan, Lawrence Tech, etc.).

Haters are going to hate. But, many of us know better and realize that we are all people - and all people are pretty much the same no matter where you go or come from.

Just to be clear, Islam is a religious belief system not a place. Are you saying that all belief are the same regardless of where you come from?

Thanks for all your answers. For example when you land to "Le Bourget" LFPB, airfield similar to KSMO / KVNY, with a C172 you'll must pay 600$ of landing fees and handling fees ( FBO Signature ).

Secondly, I don't need to live in a Muslim neighboor, just live near a mosque and a halal shop ... For me best places for living are SoCal, Miami and Texas ( for the sun ).

Not all Muslims wear turban, if one wears doesn't mean he is a Muslim

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The big obstacle now is you need 1500 hours to get an ATP (1000 if you get an aviation degree). Not sure if the European or Middle East requirements are less. You certainly dont need and engineering degree to be a pilot, any degree will do. Its a long expensive road now to ATP. If you pay for it yourself, 1500 x 100/hour (and it will be more than that per hour) is $150,000. Thats the big obstical. So you need to find ways to build time and get paid for it. CFI is one. There are others.

Can we quit making this a debate about religion? We are trying to help the poster, no matter what religion he practices.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's twice in two days.:( Childhood memories of frequent reprimand are coming back to me.;)

The big obstacle now is you need 1500 hours to get an ATP (1000 if you get an aviation degree). Not sure if the European or Middle East requirements are less. You certainly dont need and engineering degree to be a pilot, any degree will do. Its a long expensive road now to ATP. If you pay for it yourself, 1500 x 100/hour (and it will be more than that per hour) is $150,000. Thats the big obstical. So you need to find ways to build time and get paid for it. CFI is one. There are others.

My principal solution is to do CFI to build my logbook time. In Europe the system is not the same : after the PPL, you pass the ATP Theory ( like the CPL/IR Theory ) and you pursue with CPL/IR/ME flight training, the MCC ( multi crew coordination, hasn't equal in US ). You can become airline pilot from 250h, but you become captain when you'll have flown 1500h, with 500h on multi crew aircraft. With this system there's a lot of qualified pilots on the market, and salaries decrease.

You used to be able to become an airline pilot with 250 hours without an ATP in the US also. They upped it, but too far IMO.

If there is ever a day you can't obtain a 1st class medical, then its pretty much over. So have a backup career in mind. Never know what kind of ailments you will get later in life. Watch your diet and get lots of exercise.

Thanks for all your answers. For example when you land to "Le Bourget" LFPB, airfield similar to KSMO / KVNY, with a C172 you'll must pay 600$ of landing fees and handling fees ( FBO Signature ).

Secondly, I don't need to live in a Muslim neighboor, just live near a mosque and a halal shop ... For me best places for living are SoCal, Miami and Texas ( for the sun ).

Sun?? Please, that's where all the hot girls are at. Better pick somewhere like UND so you can concentrate on your studies.

Good luck on your quest. I do think it's realistic but with any career goal, have a backup plan. I think your primary goal should be becoming an American citizen and the pilot thing second to that. If you can't assimilate to the culture, then no job will create quality of life. Having been to France a few times, I'm sure you'll see the cultures aren't all that dissimilar. You'll do fine here.

All I can say to the OP is, yes it's do-able, but man you are going to be in a world of financial hurt unless you work your butt off.

zero time to CFII (need the I to even get hired some places these days) is probably about 50K. A cheap bachelor's degree is probably the same amount of money, maybe more but let's say it's the same. That's 100K in debt when you walk out of the door to take your 20-35K a year job.

14 years later at 35K a year IF you put 20% of your income to paying off your debt every year, you might be close to paying it off. Not counting any additional debt you rack up in between.

Don't mean to be a party-pooper here...but being a CFI these days seems like more of a way to make some extra money and less like an actual career. A few of the CFI's I flew with had day jobs in addition to their instructor job.

Be prepared to work, a lot.

Sun?? Please, that's where all the hot girls are at. Better pick somewhere like UND so you can concentrate on your studies.

Good luck on your quest. I do think it's realistic but with any career goal, have a backup plan. I think your primary goal should be becoming an American citizen and the pilot thing second to that. If you can't assimilate to the culture, then no job will create quality of life. Having been to France a few times, I'm sure you'll see the cultures aren't all that dissimilar. You'll do fine here.

I came to France when I was 3. I know what is the occidental culture, I am a French citizen. My first goal is to win the DV Lottery to get the Green Card. [ joke section starting ] But if hot girls - with big boobs :cool: - are in Miami, I will not refuse:D [ joke section finished ].

After high school I have written on my first post I'll pursue undergraduate degree in engineering domain to get a B Plan.

All I can say to the OP is, yes it's do-able, but man you are going to be in a world of financial hurt unless you work your butt off.

zero time to CFII (need the I to even get hired some places these days) is probably about 50K. A cheap bachelor's degree is probably the same amount of money, maybe more but let's say it's the same. That's 100K in debt when you walk out of the door to take your 20-35K a year job.

14 years later at 35K a year IF you put 20% of your income to paying off your debt every year, you might be close to paying it off. Not counting any additional debt you rack up in between.

Don't mean to be a party-pooper here...but being a CFI these days seems like more of a way to make some extra money and less like an actual career. A few of the CFI's I flew with had day jobs in addition to their instructor job.

Be prepared to work, a lot.

0-CFII : 50k --> Really ?? I have seen with several schools and I saw between 20-30k with all extras ( A flight school in Daytona Beach has purposed me 18k, without PPL and Time Building )
Bachelor : I'll study at least 1 year in France, if it's not more. And here studying is free. My parents are not wealthy, and when you see net price calculator with our income I see between 2k-5k per year ( Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Vanderbilt, etc. )

The perfect goal for me is to get licenses and contract any loan --> they're forbidden in my culture o_O. I also know CFI cannot make a great lot of money ( except if he's DPE ), 30k$ per year will be enough for me for waiting the Regional ( 1500h )

0-CFII : 50k --> Really ?? I have seen with several schools and I saw between 20-30k with all extras ( A flight school in Daytona Beach has purposed me 18k, without PPL and Time Building )
Bachelor : I'll study at least 1 year in France, if it's not more. And here studying is free. My parents are not wealthy, and when you see net price calculator with our income I see between 2k-5k per year ( Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Vanderbilt, etc. )

The perfect goal for me is to get licenses and contract any loan --> they're forbidden in my culture o_O. I also know CFI cannot make a great lot of money ( except if he's DPE ), 30k$ per year will be enough for me for waiting the Regional ( 1500h )

CAN it be done for cheaper? Sure it can. I'm ball-parking it though.

PPL is about 10K, Instrument is about 10K, and if you did those to minimums maybe you're at 80 hours. Commercial requires 250. So that's a 170 hour deficit. For just a cheap 172 at about $130/hr that's 22K.

So..42K for commercial and 10K for CFII (5K/5K) approximately. None of the commercial time above includes dual, that's just you and the plane. If a flight school is telling you it will take 18K to go from zero hours to CFII, they are blowing smoke up your..you know what.

None of my calculations include cash for checkrides, tests, materials, blah blah.

Being a DPE is a whole other side of the coin, no chance you'll be a DPE with such low time.

if you are serious about this, consider a cheaper place to live, someone mentioned UND, I am based near UND and I can tell u its lot cheaper to live here than Miami (there are **some** hot gals here too but they are covered with Parka 8 months a year :d). UND has a great program and one of the pioneers in aviation school (I am sure some people will disagree). you will have to work your butt off here too and pre-flighting a plane at -20F hurts like a b**ch, the flip side is people are nice and would give you a lot more 1:1 attention and usually are not 100% after your money (there are exceptions) and if your engine actually craps out on you, don't worry about hitting anything... since you know.. there is literally **NOTHING** to hit (this is the word of my CFI).
jokes apart, if you want more info in living near UND, feel free to IM me. if I were in your shoes, I would choose a cheaper place to live than SoCal/Miami etc

CAN it be done for cheaper? Sure it can. I'm ball-parking it though.

PPL is about 10K, Instrument is about 10K, and if you did those to minimums maybe you're at 80 hours. Commercial requires 250. So that's a 170 hour deficit. For just a cheap 172 at about $130/hr that's 22K.

So..42K for commercial and 10K for CFII (5K/5K) approximately. None of the commercial time above includes dual, that's just you and the plane. If a flight school is telling you it will take 18K to go from zero hours to CFII, they are blowing smoke up your..you know what.

None of my calculations include cash for checkrides, tests, materials, blah blah.

Being a DPE is a whole other side of the coin, no chance you'll be a DPE with such low time.

The school is Air America, located in KDAB, FL. Their website shows the price of each prestation and we must consider I'll be PPL with ~70/80h. The school has told me 4055$ for the IR, 3325$ for the CPL, 1165$ for the ME, 3820$ for CFI and 775$ for CFII. For information, the 172L is rented 94$, 89$ if you buy 10h package, and the Duchess 195$. The instruction cost varies between 33$ and 38$ ( single or multi ). I will can build time when I'll be in university ( so the cost will be included in my monthly budget and not in the price of the training ). I've calculated 18k will include DPE fees, Medical fees, Administrator Fees, but they have told me I will self-study the theory ( and fees are included in my estimation - 190$ exam + training portal ).

The school is Air America, located in KDAB, FL. Their website shows the price of each prestation and we must consider I'll be PPL with ~70/80h. The school has told me 4055$ for the IR, 3325$ for the CPL, 1165$ for the ME, 3820$ for CFI and 775$ for CFII. For information, the 172L is rented 94$, 89$ if you buy 10h package, and the Duchess 195$. The instruction cost varies between 33$ and 38$ ( single or multi ). I will can build time when I'll be in university ( so the cost will be included in my monthly budget and not in the price of the training ). I've calculated 18k will include DPE fees, Medical fees, Administrator Fees, but they have told me I will self-study the theory ( and fees are included in my estimation - 190$ exam + training portal ).

Better check some of those pre-requisites..while the IR is 4055 you still need 50 hours of CC PIC time. Same for the commercial, yeah the complex checkout is cheap but you need 250 hours, can't get around that.

18K isn't accurate. You will be less than 50K, sure, but definitely more than 18K.

that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than what I pay here in the middle of nowhere. did you check if the rental was "wet" or "dry". don't go by advertisements, get some feedback from people who has some idea about the flight school. u can end up with a crappy CFI and not learn for first 10 hrs, its the most imp part while choosing the flight school / CFI

if you are serious about this, consider a cheaper place to live, someone mentioned UND, I am based near UND and I can tell u its lot cheaper to live here than Miami (there are **some** hot gals here too but they are covered with Parka 8 months a year :d). UND has a great program and one of the pioneers in aviation school (I am sure some people will disagree). you will have to work your butt off here too and pre-flighting a plane at -20F hurts like a b**ch, the flip side is people are nice and would give you a lot more 1:1 attention and usually are not 100% after your money (there are exceptions) and if your engine actually craps out on you, don't worry about hitting anything... since you know.. there is literally **NOTHING** to hit (this is the word of my CFI).
jokes apart, if you want more info in living near UND, feel free to IM me. if I were in your shoes, I would choose a cheaper place to live than SoCal/Miami etc

I have seen prices ... :eek::eek:
63000$ plus 8900$ per year plus cost of life ... I prefer pay ~3500$ per year with institutional scholarships plus ~18k$ for the flight training. Live in Paris during the next year will cost me ~800$, so I'm able to add a few of money to live in DAB ( a middle city where you can live for 1300$ per month )

that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than what I pay here in the middle of nowhere. did you check if the rental was "wet" or "dry". don't go by advertisements, get some feedback from people who has some idea about the flight school. u can end up with a crappy CFI and not learn for first 10 hrs, its the most imp part while choosing the flight school / CFI

The chief pilot has said :
- 172L for IR and CFII - 94$
- PA28 Arrow for CPL and CFI - 125$
- BE76 Duchess - 195$
All prices are wet, they include fuel and insurances. I know I will need to collect feedbacks from students, find a good CFI and spend a few more than 18k. If you want look at airamericafc.com

Follow your dreams. Do it while you are young. Ask and listen to advice, but don't be discouraged if negative advice comes from only a few.

Your chances of assimilating are likely better in a big city (Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Chcago), but you never know, you may end up enjoying medium to small towns in rural settings.

For the smaller towns, I might recommend a that they contain a large university, both for ethnic diversity, but also potential aviation learning (larger body of CFIs, more planes, towered operation, etc). Purdue University in West Lafayette Indiana (Midwest) is but one example.

Chase your dreams and chase em hard young one.

Follow your dreams. Do it while you are young. Ask and listen to advice, but don't be discouraged if negative advice comes from only a few.

Your chances of assimilating are likely better in a big city (Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Chcago), but you never know, you may end up enjoying medium to small towns in rural settings.

For the smaller towns, I might recommend a that they contain a large university, both for ethnic diversity, but also potential aviation learning (larger body of CFIs, more planes, towered operation, etc). Purdue University in West Lafayette Indiana (Midwest) is but one example.

Chase your dreams and chase em hard young one.

The universities where I'd like to study are located in big cities or suburbs ( LA, Boston, Nashville and Silicon Valley ). The airports located near these universities are towered, and ILS-able, etc. My first idea is to pursue the degree and the time building and when I'll have finished I will take time to get licenses.

I came to France when I was 3. I know what is the occidental culture, I am a French citizen. My first goal is to win the DV Lottery to get the Green Card.

I hope you know that the chance of winning a DV Lottery as a French citizen is around 1.25%. You actually have slightly better odds (1.6%) as an Algerian citizen - do you still have that passport?

Either way, it would not be a good idea to put life plans on hold in the hopes of wining the lottery. Do you have a backup plan?

I hope you know that the chance of winning a DV Lottery as a French citizen is around 1.25%. You actually have slightly better odds (1.6%) as an Algerian citizen - do you still have that passport?

Either way, it would not be a good idea to put life plans on hold in the hopes of wining the lottery. Do you have a backup plan?

I have both passports and I was born in Algeria, so I'll participate as an Algerian, even if I live in France. I know my plan is so far because of the probabilities of the lottery. For your info I have a plan : pursue engineering career ( a career with which you can come to the US with a H1B )

For your info I have a plan : pursue engineering career ( a career with which you can come to the US with a H1B )

So then it comes back to your question:
"Is Trump a risk for me ??"

Yes, Trump is about to change the H1B rules. I don't think it really will reduce the number of H1B's issued, but it will change H1B from a lottery system to a most qualified candidate system. Current 'most qualified candidate' looks like it's going to be based on a $130k minimum salary.

So if you study engineering, make sure it's in a field that will easily get you a job offer over $130k without needing 10 years of experience first.

So then it comes back to your question:
"Is Trump a risk for me ??"

Yes, Trump is about to change the H1B rules. I don't think it really will reduce the number of H1B's issued, but it will change H1B from a lottery system to a most qualified candidate system. Current 'most qualified candidate' looks like it's going to be based on a $130k minimum salary.

So if you study engineering, make sure it's in a field that will easily get you a job offer over $130k without needing 10 years of experience first.

Actually H1B are delivered with a selection with the file. USCIS must respect a quota of ~60000. The lottery is for delivering the Green Card, and Trump could delete this lottery.

Wait and see ...

Actually H1B are delivered with a selection with the file. USCIS must respect a quota of ~60000. The lottery is for delivering the Green Card, and Trump could delete this lottery.

Wait and see ...

Nope, at the moment H1B is a lottery - I just hired someone on an H1B.

There is still the long complicated H1B application process and requirements that you have to go through, but the H1B's are also far oversubscribed - they get 236'000 applications for the 60'000 visas they have. So what happens right now is that CIS processes all of the H1B applications effectively on one day in the year, and then from there they draw 60'000 visas out of that pool - so each applicant has about a 25% chance of actually getting the H1B visa he/she applied and paid for. (Luckily my guy won).

2 other things that needs to be mentioned... medical, make sure u can get a class 1 if u want to fly an airline, do ur research and consult an AME, not sure how that will work out from France, but may be there are some Ame out there who can do a remote consultation. 2. As an alien u need TSA approval before u can start training, not a big deal, just some hoops to jump thru and takes about 5 weeks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back