I have a stupid NOTAM question

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
Trying to plan my flight to KTIX (Titusville, FL), and they have this message:

RWY 18/36 CLSD TO AIR CARRIER OPS 2211141436-PERM

I would assume this doesn't mean someone like me landing in a single engine plane. Just want to make sure before I get a phone number to write down. :D

Trying to plan my flight to KTIX (Titusville, FL), and they have this message:

RWY 18/36 CLSD TO AIR CARRIER OPS 2211141436-PERM

I would assume this doesn't mean someone like me landing in a single engine plane. Just want to make sure before I get a phone number to write down. :D
Be sure and let us know if you get a phone number to write down.

A lot of airport NOTAMS are written by the manager of the airport. Why not call him/her and ask what the NOTAM is all about? I'll bet there is an interesting story there and it never hurts to make a new friend at an unfamiliar airport. I've done this a few times and have never been disappointed with the results.

I've seen this one fairly often. Usually seems to be related to runway conditions .

Last edited:
I'm assuming this NOTAM was issued because KTIX can no longer meet some FAR Part 139 requirement to allow Air Carrier operations. From what I can see, they haven't had scheduled service at that airport in decades. The Airport Remarks already had PPR requirement for Air Carriers, but the NOTAM makes it look like they are permanently blocking them.

looks like the NOTAM at KTIX was replaced yesterday with this one:

!TIX 11/044 TIX RWY 18/36 CLSD TO UNSKED AIR CARRIER OPS MORE THAN 30 PAX SEATS 2211301850-2412312359

Now it's no longer permanent, and it's specific to larger planes. I saw one like that a few years ago, for an airport in Nebraska.

There are no stupid NOTAM questions. Ask how I know.

Smart that you're asking if not sure. Never a bad idea to ask and dig. I'm with our exalted Administer - you can also ask me how I know..... :)

looks like the NOTAM at KTIX was replaced yesterday.....
Now it's no longer permanent, and it's specific to larger planes. I saw one like that a few years ago, for an airport in Nebraska.

A minor gripe of mine. Normally, permanent means, well, permanent. In NOTAM world it is definitive until it's not.

My guess is that they don't have the required crash-fire-rescue response ability.

That would be my guess as well, that is usually the case. Either staffing issue or truck out of service.

looks like the NOTAM at KTIX was replaced yesterday with this one:

!TIX 11/044 TIX RWY 18/36 CLSD TO UNSKED AIR CARRIER OPS MORE THAN 30 PAX SEATS 2211301850-2412312359

Does the "UNSKED" in there mean that the field is now open to scheduled air carrier ops?

Back