I didn't know ForeFlight did this until today's flight...

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
amongst the items you can have in the "instrument" bar at the bottom..... the altimeter setting at a field close to you as reported by the ADSB-In system.

Didn't know that was available until today.

96A260F5-4E1F-49B6-864E-65BC85D480F0.jpeg

That's good to know, thanks for pointing it out!

whats the time slider just above the custom fields? I've never seen that either.

amongst the items you can have in the "instrument" bar at the bottom..... the altimeter setting at a field close to you as reported by the ADSB-In system.

View attachment 63343

There is a place somewhere that you can go to set what is shown in those boxes at the bottom.

There is a place somewhere that you can go to set what is shown in those boxes at the bottom.
Tap/hold on any of those positions bring up a menu to select what data will be shown in that position.

Oh goody, another feature I would never use.
Why would you not want to be able to find the current altimeter code,
or maybe I should say what is wrong with other pilots knowing how to gain access to that code?

I didn't know that either. What else is in that slot other than nearest altimeter because obviously I have it on one of those. I don't have it with me at the moment.

I didn't know that either. What else is in that slot other than nearest altimeter because obviously I have it on one of those. I don't have it with me at the moment.
As of Version 10, there are 29 items that can be selected for the "instrument panel". And anyone of them can be in any slot. Which order you put them is up to you and how you like things arranged.

From the ForeFlight Pilot's guide...

upload_2018-5-24_10-6-22.png

I learn new things every day on FF. Just discovered all the flight plan and filing pages the other day.

Why would you not want to be able to find the current altimeter code,
or maybe I should say what is wrong with other pilots knowing how to gain access to that code?

You may not have noticed it before, but Clip4 is a super-duper ForeFlight hater for some reason. In his book, they can do no right. This is merely more of the same. Clip4->Ignore is the best response.

I learn new things every day on FF. Just discovered all the flight plan and filing pages the other day.

Me too! I was doing Navlogs by looking up everything individually for all my cross countries. Found this out when I started planning mine for my checkride.

That is definitely a useful field. Didn't know it was offered. I assume it is not default, otherwise I would have (probably) noticed it. And I am too lazy to get up and walk around the house to find the iPad to check. That's what the Internet is for, no? ;)

Thanks, Mike.

I wish they would offer the nearest approach frequency.

I wish they would offer the nearest approach frequency.

If you're looking for flight following, just touch the nearest airport with the 700-foot Class E ring around it, and you'll find your answer.

Automated would be better, but there's a short term solution at least. :)

You may not have noticed it before, but Clip4 is a super-duper ForeFlight hater for some reason. In his book, they can do no right. This is merely more of the same. Clip4->Ignore is the best response.

Oh, you got me wrong. Reduce the price 33% and with new releases not full of bugs and I will be more supportive of their product.

Oh, you got me wrong. Reduce the price 33% and with new releases not full of bugs and I will be more supportive of their product.

This reminds me of when we had some people in our flying club that were very vocal that we needed a "cheap plane" - A C152 or the like that had a basic VFR panel, original paint and ratty interior, that could be flown as cheap as possible.

After those meetings, the guy who had been in the club the longest came up to me and said "those guys say that all the time, but we've done that in the past, and even the cheap plane is never cheap enough for them and nobody else wants to fly it so it becomes a hangar queen."

Something tells me that a 33% price reduction wouldn't keep you from being a hater.

I use both foreflight and aerovie. They're incredible. Considering how much I use them both in flight, in prep, and just noodling around at home, I don't notice or care about the expense.

The age of entitlement. I guess people have to ***** about *something* these days. Maybe Clip4 can build his/her own EFB app that's as fully features without the "bugs" and give it away for free. Let me know how that works out for ya.

It all comes down to benefit-to-price ratio for each individual. We all have different preferences.
I am paying FF for electronic charts, flight planning tool, filing tool, tracking tool, W&B, in-flight moving map etc. I trust the app because it rarely crashes or rarely disappoints me. And they have customer support that actually answers emails and phone calls.
OTOH, I have the POS FltPlan Go app that crashes pretty much every other time, deletes downloaded charts on a whim, crashes often, isn't developed with pilots in mind, crashes frequently, has very cranky and anti-pilot, oh and it crashes too.
So my personal benefit-to-price ratio on FF is pretty high. Compared to other free crappy apps. YMMV *shrug*

There will be haters. We ALL have things we hate. Let's not lie to ourselves. :)

Paper usually costs more than electrons. FF is over priced electrons.
You are not paying for electrons or paper. You are paying for information that someone had to work hard to accumulate, correlate and present.
Foreflight is a fairly priced application that gives you useful information, with continuing updates

You are not paying for electrons or paper. You are paying for information that someone had to work hard to accumulate, correlate and present.
Foreflight is a fairly priced application that gives you useful information, with continuing updates

FF is a highly marketed product priced considerably more than other products that people accumulated, correlated, and presented. You are paying a premium for marketing.

OTOH, I have the POS FltPlan Go app that crashes pretty much every other time, deletes downloaded charts on a whim, crashes often, isn't developed with pilots in mind, crashes frequently, has very cranky and anti-pilot, oh and it crashes too.

Not to derail but I haven't experienced any of the above with Fltplan Go. Have been using it pretty regularly for the past year with no real complaints. Tried a free trial of FF and didn't see that much improvement for the price of $200-$300 vs free.

Not to derail but I haven't experienced any of the above with Fltplan Go. Have been using it pretty regularly for the past year with no real complaints. Tried a free trial of FF and didn't see that much improvement for the price of $200-$300 vs free.
Lucky you. Honestly. Truthfully. I am jealous. I cannot trust my FP Go. And from what I hear from all my other pilot friends, I am not alone. So again, I am jealous that you get no trouble from the app. Don't touch it if it works, you lucky dog! :)

Also, there are many myths about FF pricing out there. I hear it a lot from pilots: "I can't afford $400 for an app that isn't better than FP Go".
A) FF costs $99 for the basic app with ALL US charts. If you want premium sugar on top, you can pay extra.
B) In my personal experience (and that of my other pilot friends), FF is pretty dang reliable and easy to use. If it rarely crashes, it comes right back up and I can continue using it.

As a usual cheapskate pilot, I of course looked into free aviation apps. :) And I ended up paying for FF anyway. Their whole team consists of pilots or at least pilots in training. IMHO, it shows.
Whereas FP Go is an app made by code monkeys with not much understanding of the aviation world. Years ago, I was crossing my fingers and hoping that FP Go would improve with time. That has not happened. Its quality (or lack thereof) remains at the same (disappointing) level.
Just my $0.02.

I didn't either. That's slick. Thanks for sharing.

We have now gone 35 posts on a thread about Foreflight, and no one has reminded us to look out the damn window, not follow the magenta line religiously, and that the old way of doing things were just fine!

Congratulations POA, you are growing up!

We have now gone 35 posts on a thread about Foreflight, and no one has reminded us to look out the damn window, not follow the magenta line religiously, and that the old way of doing things were just fine!

look out the damn window, dont follow the magenta line, steam is best!

Yeah, I mean the app is *already* cheaper than paper charts for huge numbers of people.

Yep. Two years before ForeFlight, I spent $225 on charts for a single trip.

Oh, and it was two grocery bags worth and probably 20 pounds of useful load wasted, too.

There's a reason that the first year ForeFlight and the iPad were out, their booth at Oshkosh had so many pilots flocking to it that it looked like ants on cake.

We just didn’t see the need to state the obvious. :p

Back