How would you handle this situation?

The nearest bathroom to my hangar is 2 miles away and I use the bucket method although don't "save it up" just toss the contents in the grass. Honestly not a big deal and never thought twice about it. Couple of questions:

(1) where do people think the animals relieve themselves? Where I live we have more of them than people.
(2) any irony in getting worked up over urine when when we pour hundreds of gallons of leaded avgas on the tarmac during sump checks?

Are you just being deliberately obtuse about the situation? It really doesn't matter where animals relieve themselves (although not usually on the asphalt in front of a hangar); or how much leaded avgas is poured on the tarmac. This is someone dumping pee on his doorstep and smelling up his hangar. It smells, it's unsanitary, and just rude. If someone was dumping 5 gallon buckets of pee at the front of your hangar, or on your doorstep I'm sure it would be more important to you at the moment than where animals relieve themselves or how much avgas is poured on the tarmac.

But what do you do if you never actually see him there? I would have to be there at the same time he is.

Well if you haven't seen him you obviously can say anything. I don't think I was clear you hadn't seen him yet when I posted that.

Anyone at the airport that you are not, shall we say, the best of friends with?

OK, I think I like the 'note' approach. Here is my proposed wording.

"Hello there hangar neighbor. I am one of the members of the club that rents the hangar next to you. I've been flying out of the hangar here for the last few months and I've noticed a strong odor of urine, and seen the urine stains on the asphalt. The other morning I even noticed that some urine had recently been poured on the ground right between our two hangar doors. I suspect that you are the one dumping the urine on the ground, and if so, you really need to stop it. It smells horrible, and it's really disgusting. If you are not the one dumping the urine, I'd appreciate your help in catching whoever is doing it. I've reported the situation to the airport authorities.

Thank you,

AZpilot"

Thoughts? I don't 100% know that is he doing it, so I leave that open, but at the same time I'm letting him know I suspect him. I'm letting him know that it's gross and it needs to stop. If he is not doing it, I'm asking him to help figure out who does do it, and try to stop them.

Anyone at the airport that you are not, shall we say, the best of friends with?
That's a good point. I don't really know that many people at the airport. Plus, the hangar is rented by a club that I am a part of. The club has over 40 people in it.

I like your suggestion. I've never actually spoken with him. I said hello to him once before I realized what he was doing, but that is it. I've been by the hangar a few times since I figured this out, but he is never around.

I think he empties the bucket about once a week. Here are the latest results. He left his hangar open while he went out flying.

And you are right, this doesn't really make any sense.
Truly bizarre, I wish you the best of luck with it.. obviously you want to keep the peace with your hangar neighbors, but it's also pretty disgusting

When you sail into Catalina Harbor they meet you and pour a dye into your toilet bowl if it is a thru-hull type. That way if you operate it in harbor they know who to fine. Something similar might work for you, if he does leave his door open while flying.

Or you could just walk into his hangar and kick his bucket over, right in front of him preferably.

I saw a street guy peeing in Seattle the other week, daylight, downtown, right at the edge of a building. I didn’t see anyone paying attention, not worth the hassle.

The key to airport peeing is grass, enough to disperse the pee, no different than Rover. Out West one may need a gravel or stone bed. One needs to use common sense when peeing in the great outdoors. I’m here in semi-rural WI, I like my outdoor facilities better than inside, our dog does too.

When I was a kid I’d be out camping with Gramps at times, remote duck hunting lake. I swear he used the same container at night that was used for food in the daytime, Blue in color. When it came to #2 he’d hardly go out of sight from the camp area.

I think back in the day ‘relieving’ oneself was looked upon as more of a common necessity than it is today. We’ve all seen(or had) the toddler in the public park who all of a sudden drops drawers to go.

Or you could just walk into his hangar and kick his bucket over, right in front of him preferably.

I would call that the Achilles Option. Walk in to a man's hangar and kick over a bucket of waste, you are the aggressor and you open yourself up for a charge of criminal mischief. Plus, you will feel really bad when you find out he is not the culprit.

My option, which I would call the Odysseus Option, is to discard a bottle of dye in his waste bucket. If/when he pours it down a toilet, there is no harm done. If/when he chucks it on the tarmac, he has outed himself and is in for at the minimum all sorts of opprobrium and hopefully a fine.

Um, there is a reason is it called the Odyssey and not the Achillesy. Achilles didn't live long enough to make it into a second book.

I can't believe the number of traps and aggressive attitudes expressed against a neighbor and fellow aviator! Rather than tattling to some authority or devising rigorous traps, I have little doubt that simply having a discussion with this reckless micturator and politely expressing your concerns about the club being prevailed upon by a strong urine odor..."Have you noticed it?", or words to that effect in the course of adulation of his plane, wonderful to be pilots, etc., etc. My bet is that he'd take the hint and desist (or dump it on the hangar on the other side of his). Truth is, the pilot and aircraft owner population is not large, and we (should) regard ourselves as a privileged and close group. Respectful of each other. My previous snarky comments were attempts at humor, and I retract any implication of managing this European situation (couldn't resist) in less than a manly way. Keep us posted, good luck, and God bless.

I would think a security camera or game trail camera is the best option for now, since we really do not know if the neighbor is the guilty party.

If the elder "gentleman" is not the culprit then the airport manager needs to give every hangar resident a notice of what is going on and that it needs to stop. If it doesn't then when the guilty party is caught it will mean immediate eviction not only from the hangar but also from the airport.

Could be the "gentleman" is peed off with the amount of activity that takes place next to his hangar.

If it's a club hangar it's probably used by many who use the 'pee' bucket. You may have he wrong guy.

Make sure it's him. Really, be sure. Be sure. Then talk to him; 'fessing up and an apology would seem the most likely response. If he gets ****ed off, escalate it. Likely for a few bucks you can get peace order or whatever the equivalent is in your state is. Let the airport know your intention - might galvanize some action, unless it's run by local gov't.

I'm at a loss as to why he's saving it up? if I had to ****, I'd find a discrete location outside and let 'er go. If the situation doesn't lend itself to that, I'd use a screw-top or other seal-able container. But an open bucket is effing disgusting. specially

I fly out of a municipal airport. My club has a hangar. Our hangar neighbor is an older gentleman that spends a great deal of time in his hangar. There are no bathrooms close to his hangar, so he relieves himself (number 1) in a five gallon bucket. As the bucket accumulates, he'll make sure no one is watching, and then dump the urine out in front of our hangar.

We've notified the airport, and they don't seem interested in doing much. The lady at the terminal building today told me it is a 'delicate situation' and they have to be careful. I'm ready for them to evict the guy.

-- EDIT --

I should be clear, I have not actually witnessed him doing this. But I am about 95% sure that is what he does. The other morning, I was taxing away, and he was in his hangar. When I came back, his hangar was open, he was not there, and there was a urine stain on the ground right in front of our hangar door. Other members of my club have told me that he does this, but I don't know how they have gathered their information.

Also, when I say "we've notified the airport", I specifically mean that I have spoken to the airport people, and let them know if the urine stains and smell, and I have told them that I have not witnessed this happening, but that I suspect it is the individual in question. I know that other club members have talked to the airport people as well.

Put up a game camera or something similar. Catch the individual in the act. Confront the individual with the evidence, and ask him what he’d do in this situation. Then, do it—and include the evidence.

Dunno if it really matters all that much if he's the guy. OP's part of a club, shouldn't be hard to tell the guy, "Someone from your hangar is dumping pee in front of our hangar. I don't know why, I don't care, but it has to stop." Not sure what's so "delicate" about it from tie airport perspective, unless the guy owns the place or "owns" the airport commission.

That's fricken gross. The guy isn't right in the head. Confront him then set up a game camera and catch him in the act. Then tell the airport manager if they don't deal with it you'll out him and them.

You young guys have no clue about getting older and peeing all the time, just wait you will be peeing all the time as you get older and have to go NOW so not gross but yes he should hose it down or dump else where, having to pee does not make us older guys " not right in the head" it is nature calling

The thread that won't die! How much can y'all talk about pee? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maybe we could merge the coffee, beer, and pee threads. It will drip along forever.

Maybe we could merge the coffee, beer, and pee threads. It will drip along forever.

Now you're talking! Makes so much sense.

But, when you say drip forever, you're not referring to STDs are ya? :eek:

You young guys have no clue about getting older and peeing all the time, just wait you will be peeing all the time as you get older and have to go NOW so not gross but yes he should hose it down or dump else where, having to pee does not make us older guys " not right in the head" it is nature calling

Lol, nobody said peeing all the time was bad, I don't know where you came up with that. It's the peeing all the time into a 5 gallon bucket, saving it for a week, then dumping it in front of your neighbor's door that's f'd, anyone who does that is f'd in the head. In fact if you pee in a 5 gallon bucket and don't get rid of it in a timely manner, you are probably f'd in the head, it's gross.

whatcha don't want.....it to become a peon. :no:

The thread that won't die! How much can y'all talk about pee? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

All this **** talk is ****ing me off:confused::p

OP: Go get a couple of ounces of food coloring, pig blood or whatever floats your boat and sneak into his hangar when he leaves it open and dump into his bucket. At least you'll have the satisfaction of him getting a urology checkup.

OP: Go get a couple of ounces of food coloring, pig blood or whatever floats your boat and sneak into his hangar when he leaves it open and dump into his bucket. At least you'll have the satisfaction of him getting a urology checkup.

Doesn't even have to sneak! The OP posted a pic of the guy's open hangar while he went flying! See post 101.

Add a couple drops of dish soap, too, so it'll foam up nicely . . . .

Back