How would you handle this situation?

If it was my hangar he was dumping it in front of, he’d known my thoughts on the matter in no uncertain terms the first time I became aware that he was doing it.

This. It would have never gotten to the second time. And I would have asked them to explain what 'delicate' means.

Call the fire company to come wash down the ramp in front of your hangar every time he dumps his bucket, they will deal with it after a fashion.

I’m just curious how you know for sure it’s urine.

This is the most...vile person to have as a neighbor.

This is the airports problem. Trying to make friends is out of the question for me. Only thing that will solve the problem for me is instant eviction. Not after 30 days but now. If this lowly person was dumping water or trash I would talk to the person myself, but human sewage? This person has problems other that not having a bathroom close by. This is NOT a delicate situation.

This is one time your occasional over the top (according to some :D ) reaction couldn't be more accurate. Those that suggest being nice and accommodating are nuts.

A couple of things: Does he have a cool plane? Have you considered a portable
John for everyone to use? Is he drinking beer? What kind of neighbor have you been? Where are you and your other neighbors really whizzing? Are you familiar with prostate issues?

It would take a week to half fill a 5 gallon bucket if he lived there and never peed anywhere else. It would take a month to completely fill it if he used the bucket for half an average persons pee per day.

I think the story is a bit odd in itself. Unless you also live at the aiport, he’s not going to have enough to dump often enough for you to even notice. I’m also not sure how you know it’s happening if he’s “making sure no one is looking” first.

My nurse wife is going to laugh pretty hard at people freaking out about pee in front of a hangar...

You haven't lived until you work in the medical biz and know what a Code Brown is... and had to walk down the hall and ask EVERYONE to come help with it. :)

Code Brown? Is that when the UPS truck pulls up with a large load?

:D

Even if he doesn't fill it up, being there most of a day he might still end up dumping a pint +/- at the end of the day.

That's enough to be noticable if it hasn't rained for a while.

Seriously? That's disgusting

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really get why this situation is as "delicate" or troublesome as it has to be.. unless the guy is "unhinged" or something, but then that's a whole other can of worms

Why not just ask him not to dump out in front of your hangar? Doesn't have to be confrontational, but if he's at all a reasonable human being I'm sure he could understand why someone wouldn't want buckets of pee being dumped in front of their hangar

And does he go that often that he fills up a 5 gallon bucket in the day? Why not at the end of the day when he's leaving just dump it in the actual bathroom?

Doesn't really make any sense to me/
I don't know the guy well enough to know if he has all of his marbles.

I like your suggestion. I've never actually spoken with him. I said hello to him once before I realized what he was doing, but that is it. I've been by the hangar a few times since I figured this out, but he is never around.

I think he empties the bucket about once a week. Here are the latest results. He left his hangar open while he went out flying.

And you are right, this doesn't really make any sense.

Attachments

• hangar pee.jpg
    hangar pee.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 87
Where I come from, we'd set a bag of dog poop on fire outside the entrance to his cave, ring the doorbell, and run to a hidden observation position. Fun in all cases, but especially if it's an old codger who's been dumping pee!

The nearest bathroom to my hangar is 2 miles away and I use the bucket method although don't "save it up" just toss the contents in the grass. Honestly not a big deal and never thought twice about it. Couple of questions:

(1) where do people think the animals relieve themselves? Where I live we have more of them than people.
(2) any irony in getting worked up over urine when when we pour hundreds of gallons of leaded avgas on the tarmac during sump checks?

The nearest bathroom to my hangar is 2 miles away and I use the bucket method although don't "save it up" just toss the contents in the grass. Honestly not a big deal and never thought twice about it. Couple of questions:

(1) where do people think the animals relieve themselves? Where I live we have more of them than people.
(2) any irony in getting worked up over urine when when we pour hundreds of gallons of leaded avgas on the tarmac during sump checks?

Ever consider the amount of jism deposited at airports?

I'm surprised you went around asking others at the airport.

Why not just talk to the guy?

One way or another sometimes you need to solve your own problems.
I would have talked to the guy right away, but I haven't seen him. I spoke with one of my other club members about it, then, when there was a fresh 'deposit' on Friday morning, and the guy wasn't around, I talked to the airport personnel.

This. It would have never gotten to the second time. And I would have asked them to explain what 'delicate' means.
But what do you do if you never actually see him there? I would have to be there at the same time he is.

Even if he doesn't fill it up, being there most of a day he might still end up dumping a pint +/- at the end of the day.

That's enough to be noticable if it hasn't rained for a while.
This is AZ. It never rains... :(

Honestly, the only reason I care is because IT STINKS REALLY, REALLY BAD. I'm not even exaggerating. When I was putting the airplane away today (and keep in mind, he wasn't there), the smell permeated through the entire hangar. I had taken my dad and two boys flying, and all three of them were plugging their noses and complaining about it. It's really disgusting, and it's not ok.

Frankly, I don't care if he dumps the pee, I just don't want him dumping it RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR HANGAR where I have to smell it every time I open or close the 'man door'.

One last point, it probably wouldn't be a big deal if we had grass and it rained once in a while, but this is AZ. There is actually ZERO grass on the entire airport property. And since it's AZ it rains about once every 90 days.

This is AZ. It never rains... :(
I can see the old stains on the asphalt. That stuff, baking in the sun...

A note on his hangar door: "Just a neighborly note: Someone's been dumping relief bottles in front of hangars. You might keep an eye on things in case it happens to you. It's already been reported, so hopefully it stops soon."

I can see the old stains on the asphalt. That stuff, baking in the sun...

A note on his hangar door: "Just a neighborly note: Someone's been dumping relief bottles in front of hangars. You might keep an eye on things in case it happens to you. It's already been reported, so hopefully it stops soon."
I've been thinking of leaving a note. I am not 100% sure he's the one doing it (probably more like 95% sure). I haven't actually seen him do it, so I don't want to walk in and accuse him when I am not certain. Also, it's not like I'm there at the airport all the time either.

I've been thinking of leaving a note. I am not 100% sure he's the one doing it (probably more like 95% sure). I haven't actually seen him do it, so I don't want to walk in and accuse him when I am not certain. Also, it's not like I'm there at the airport all the time either.

Good call. Don't single him out...make a note to the effect of "someone has been doing this" and put it on the entire row of hangars.Then it's more like a PSA than pointing the finger at any one person.

Bleach will kill the smell, I'd go about 10% bleach to water and throw it on top of it. But that guy needs a boot in the ass. I'd would start gentle, but f him if he is nothing but apologetic. Probably ammonia in there from the pee decomposing, but you should be ok with the bleach.

Screw a note, ask him if he is dumping ****, then tell him to knock it off.

Screw a note, ask him if he is dumping ****, then tell him to knock it off.
While I like your direct approach, the guy is not always at his hangar when I’m at the airport.

Honestly, the only reason I care is because IT STINKS REALLY, REALLY BAD. I'm not even exaggerating. When I was putting the airplane away today (and keep in mind, he wasn't there), the smell permeated through the entire hangar. I had taken my dad and two boys flying, and all three of them were plugging their noses and complaining about it. It's really disgusting, and it's not ok.

Frankly, I don't care if he dumps the pee, I just don't want him dumping it RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR HANGAR where I have to smell it every time I open or close the 'man door'.

One last point, it probably wouldn't be a big deal if we had grass and it rained once in a while, but this is AZ. There is actually ZERO grass on the entire airport property. And since it's AZ it rains about once every 90 days.
Yeah I totally get that don't be a ***** call him out. The way you describe it, you should not have to put up with that.

Back