How To Lose Weight

My "daily habits" are harder to make work when that's not what the rest of the family is doing... I was really hoping my good example might encourage others to do what I was doing, it didn't quite work out that way. When you have to cook differently for yourself than what others are eating, it's more of a challenge to stick with it, and affects the food budget, too. But, excuses done--I'm going back. I prefer the way I felt before to how I feel now.

If your doing the cooking, stop cooking twice. If they don't want ti eat it, there is PB in the cupboard...

If you are not doing the cooking then it's just a matter of getting the cook on board and... for your health I think you can convince her.

I've now got quite a bit of VERY lo cal VERY high nutriant crock pot recipies.

Ex=>
8 Bonless skinless chicken tenders (frozen or thawed)
1 eggplant chopped
2 sm-med zuccinies chopped
2 sm-med yellow squash chopped
1 colored peper chopped
1 med onion chopped
1-2 garlic cloves => squished in a garlic press
Season salt & Spices to taste

Tenders in the bottem of the crock pot, little bit of water so they don't burn (just cover the bottem of the crock pot, the veggies cooking will expel all the rest of the water needed), top with one of the garlic cloves and some spices, top will all the veggies mixed togeter and more garlic and spices. Put the lid on (ususally riding on the veggies not the pot itself it will seat as the veggies cook) set on Low for about 4 hours.

1 serving is 2 tenders and 1/4 of the veggies and is about 230 calories... low enough to splurge on a coule of table spoons of parmeson cheese on top. Nummy.

I make 2-4 crockpot meals (mainly durring the weekend), portion them out and frease them... I eat out of the freazer the rest of the week

And remember, dark leafy greens for salads... not that iceburg crap, it has almost no nutritional value. I've got a gread spinach salad recipie with homemade dressing that has been fed to kids and they don't know they are eating SPINACH! I also use spinach for tacos when I splurge on tacos.

Missa, thanks for the inspirational thread!

I didn't start it, I just necro-posted it. But your welcome! :D

I make my own. That said, there are some things I make that still get a fair share of refined flour. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with that, one is looking for balanced nutrition, and carbohydrate is part of that balance.

Nothing wrong with carbohydrates and they are needed, but the standard american diet is WAY heavy in grain based carbohydrates for the sedatary lifestyle of most americans. From what I've read Carbohydrates should be eaten in the morning not at night, in the morning you are fueling for your day... Carbs are a good of source for energy for your day as they are quick to turn into energy. At night you need less imidate access to energy so it should be less carbs more veggies and meat as they are more of building blocks of the body which can take longer to process (while you sleep and need less engergy for activitiy).

On non-workout days my carbohydrates come from fruit and the carb carying veggies. There is a potato (one for 12-16 servings) of my morning eggbake and I rotate that with oatmeal, and occasional weekend pancakes and frenchtoast... gotta live and the weekends are when I do my long runs that burn eveything I eat. : )

My God, what have we become? Are we not pilots? Do we not sustain ourselves with pilot pellets (the orange peanutbutter/cheese cracker things found in vending machines in every FBO in the land)?

202 posts on diets and food? Are we going to start talking about our favorite judges on Chopped? :yikes:

I need a beer. :D

My God, what have we become? Are we not pilots? Do we not sustain ourselves with pilot pellets (the orange peanutbutter/cheese cracker things found in vending machines in every FBO in the land)?

It's not about diet, :idea: it's about strategies on increasing the useful load of airplanes... :yesnod: by reducing the unuseful load of the pilot... :wink2:

I've gained the ability to cary 7 extra gallons of fuel on any weight limited flight I make. :yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod: Thats at least an extra hour of endurance time!!!

My dad used to say that the Doctor's prescribed "getting old" diet was - "If it tastes good - spit it out."

202 posts on diets and food? Are we going to start talking about our favorite judges on Chopped? :yikes:

I need a beer. :D

Aye, captain. :lol:

Pilot weight loss not only improves airplane performance but can result in alleviation (or avoidance) of many medical conditions that result in medical certificate problems like diabetes, sleep disordered breathing (apnea), hypertension, cholesterol problems, heart disease and many others.

Carbs are fine unless you take amounts in excess of immediate need which results in increased insulin levels, triglycerides and fat stores. Avoid eating carbs unless you are prepared to burn them quickly.

I was able to achieve my goal by limiting simple carbs including sugar and refined grains but others may not require or even benefit from this strategy. I believe my success with weight loss speaks for itself and that I am currently consuming a reasonably healthful diet.

Here's the deal, the old adage of "there's more than one way to skin a cat" plays true here as anywhere. The key is to find a method you like and can maintain with a given lifestyle.

If your doing the cooking, stop cooking twice. If they don't want ti eat it, there is PB in the cupboard...

If you are not doing the cooking then it's just a matter of getting the cook on board and... for your health I think you can convince her.

I've now got quite a bit of VERY lo cal VERY high nutriant crock pot recipies.

Ex=>
8 Bonless skinless chicken tenders (frozen or thawed)
1 eggplant chopped
2 sm-med zuccinies chopped
2 sm-med yellow squash chopped
1 colored peper chopped
1 med onion chopped
1-2 garlic cloves => squished in a garlic press
Season salt & Spices to taste

Tenders in the bottem of the crock pot, little bit of water so they don't burn (just cover the bottem of the crock pot, the veggies cooking will expel all the rest of the water needed), top with one of the garlic cloves and some spices, top will all the veggies mixed togeter and more garlic and spices. Put the lid on (ususally riding on the veggies not the pot itself it will seat as the veggies cook) set on Low for about 4 hours.

1 serving is 2 tenders and 1/4 of the veggies and is about 230 calories... low enough to splurge on a coule of table spoons of parmeson cheese on top. Nummy.

I make 2-4 crockpot meals (mainly durring the weekend), portion them out and frease them... I eat out of the freazer the rest of the week

And remember, dark leafy greens for salads... not that iceburg crap, it has almost no nutritional value. I've got a gread spinach salad recipie with homemade dressing that has been fed to kids and they don't know they are eating SPINACH! I also use spinach for tacos when I splurge on tacos.

I didn't start it, I just necro-posted it. But your welcome! :D

I am going to make this - thank you for posting. I left my crock pot up north thinking I'd never use it, now the BF has two in his house, I think I should steal it back. Question- what spices do you use, and, what are your other healthy recipes for the crock pot? I don't mind living out of the freezer, it is better than me going to the taco truck outside or fast food (healthy fast food like steamed veggies at Panda Express Drive Through).

It's not about diet, :idea: it's about strategies on increasing the useful load of airplanes... :yesnod: by reducing the unuseful load of the pilot... :wink2:

I've gained the ability to cary 7 extra gallons of fuel on any weight limited flight I make. :yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod: Thats at least an extra hour of endurance time!!!

I'm with ya. Congratulations by the way. :thumbsup: That's how I gauged my 6 gallon weight loss last year.

I am going to make this - thank you for posting. I left my crock pot up north thinking I'd never use it, now the BF has two in his house, I think I should steal it back. Question- what spices do you use, and, what are your other healthy recipes for the crock pot? I don't mind living out of the freezer, it is better than me going to the taco truck outside or fast food (healthy fast food like steamed veggies at Panda Express Drive Through).

Last time I used Oregno, basil, rosemery and tastefully simple season salt...

I also made a batch with tastefully smoke peprika and garlic dip mix, but that was because I thouht it was the season salt... really good tho.

Peprika would be good in there too... so would dried mustard...

I change the spices up each time I make it depending on my mood so the taste never gets old.

I'll also thow in a peblano pepper to drive the spice up from time to time.

Garlic is in almost everything I make.

Cooking for one sucks (two is only slightly better) and when you make big meals then you are stuck eating the same thing untill it's gone :nonod:

Invest in tubberware and make frozen meals for lunches and for dinner on days you don't want to cook.

I'll try to post more but off the top of my head:

Giant Natures Promise Chicken sausage (east coast store brand, look for one that had a high protein to carb ratio more carbs means more sugars) with Grilled peppers and onions
Just grilled sausages with sliced peppers and onion sautéed in a tiny bit of olive oil, garlic (I add it to EVERYTHING) and well, I cook with wine... a couple of shots of red wine while sautéing along with some pepper.
About 270 calories for 2 of the sausages and 1 pepper and about 1/2 an onion. (YRMV depending on the sausage)

Remember Ketchup is sugar/tomato nastiness (high calories) while plain yellow mustard is calorie free, and some of the other mustards depending what is added. (read the labels)

Turkey burges, 1/4 lbs burges spiced and paired with a cup or two of frozed veggies, I like the carrot broccoli cauliflower mix.

Spiced with Cumin, oregnao, rosemary, season salt... agian I change it up but I really like the Cumin in the turkey.

Late to this forum, but congrats to those on here with weight-loss stories! We all know that dropping the weight is hard, and keeping it off is even harder (and I'm learning that becomes truer with age).

Been coaching runners of all levels for a few years now, and learned a lot on the topic. What's most surprising, though, is that the lessons continuously reinforced are the simplest (This ended up being longer than anticipated, sorry).

Get a support system - a running/gym buddy - someone to encourage you when you're down, support you when you're already doing well and most of all someone to give you all kinds of hell if you try to back out of a workout. It also means surrounding yourself with people with similar habits/interests, so that you're not hanging out with people who will tempt you with candy bars all day when you want to eat carrots (exaggeration, but point remains).

Also, get into a routine. Our bodies don't tend to really accept an action/routine as second nature until after 2/3 weeks. So, be patient. When you get to the point where missing a day of exercise feels weird - great! That's when you know you're there.

And for someone just starting, build up SLOWLY. Losing weight (smartly) and developing an exercise regimen take time. Don't go onto a treadmill and try to do an hour the first day - you'll end up discouraged, injured, or both. Work in a way that will minimize the chances of injury and keep you positive and focused on your goals.

Also (sorry, this just came to mind) - proper equipment (cannot emphasize this enough)! If you're going to start running, don't buy just any pair of running shoes. Your shoes are the foundation of your exercise, and if you skimp on them you're too likely to end up hurt. Go to a good running shoe store (not footlocker or similar) and talk with them about your shoe selection. And expensive does not mean that they're right for you. A quality store will have you walk/run in the shoes on a treadmill or the street and watch how you stride in them, to be certain that they're right for your feet.

I could go on for much longer, but will spare you my ramblings. Again, congrats to those dropping the pounds!

Salmon noodle, (one of my noodle dishes and can be a bit involved to cook… I do it over several days)
7 - 6 oz frozen salmon arranged in a 9x10 dish on top of a chopped onion and ½ a jar of capers with 2 squished garlic cloves, oregano, basil, rosemary, dill to taste. With either lemon slices on top on lemon juice pored over top. Cover with foil and bake till the salmon is done (you can stop right here and add a veggie or keep going, alternate prepare this with the lemon slices in a foil pack and grill)
7 servings of whole wheat *thin* spaghetti (Thinner the better, angle hair works best but you just can’t find the whole wheat angle hair. Again read labels and try to get the best bang for your carb buck Ezekicel is a good brand) cooked
1 spaghetti squash, (about 4 cups) cooked (bake 350 for maybe an hour, can be done ahead of time) and removed from the skin (once cooked it peals out with a fork with the consistency of spaghetti)
1 bunch of asparagus cut in 3/4” lengths, steamed
Once the salmon is done remove the lemon slices if used (squeezing out the pulp) and flake the salmon. Combine everything from the pan and everything above. I got 12 servings out of it for around 360 calories each. More lemon juice to taste, particularly if you are going to be microwaving the servings… there should always be some liquid to keep the meats from getting dried out in the microwave (this goes for all my home made frozen dinners)
Again good with parmesan cheese but also a dish reserved for high exercise days!
Could also be good with peas and broccoli. The spaghetti squash disappears into the whole wheat spaghetti so it’s a good low cal filler.

Get a support system - a running/gym buddy - someone to encourage you when you're down, support you when you're already doing well and most of all someone to give you all kinds of hell if you try to back out of a workout. It also means surrounding yourself with people with similar habits/interests, so that you're not hanging out with people who will tempt you with candy bars all day when you want to eat carrots (exaggeration, but point remains).

Also, get into a routine. Our bodies don't tend to really accept an action/routine as second nature until after 2/3 weeks. So, be patient. When you get to the point where missing a day of exercise feels weird - great! That's when you know you're there.

And for someone just starting, build up SLOWLY. Losing weight (smartly) and developing an exercise regimen take time. Don't go onto a treadmill and try to do an hour the first day - you'll end up discouraged, injured, or both. Work in a way that will minimize the chances of injury and keep you positive and focused on your goals.
Don't forget about dogs. They can be a great motivator.

Also (sorry, this just came to mind) - proper equipment (cannot emphasize this enough)! If you're going to start running, don't buy just any pair of running shoes. Your shoes are the foundation of your exercise, and if you skimp on them you're too likely to end up hurt. Go to a good running shoe store (not footlocker or similar) and talk with them about your shoe selection. And expensive does not mean that they're right for you. A quality store will have you walk/run in the shoes on a treadmill or the street and watch how you stride in them, to be certain that they're right for your feet.

I could go on for much longer, but will spare you my ramblings. Again, congrats to those dropping the pounds!

Also, all running shoe stores are not the same and do not feel bad RETURNING a pair of running shoes if they fit you wrong. Took me 3 tries at one store till I moved on to anouther store that got me 90% of the way till the 3rd store (and the 8th shoe they brough out) for me to fall in LOVE with my running shoes. Do not accept any discomfort or numbess in your feet!!!

Any advice for a new 1/2'er? I'm still not running the whole thing but I compleated the Tinkerbell 1/2 and will be running (ok particpating in might be a better word) the Pig in Cinci on the 6th. Right now I'm at about a 4min/2min intervals on my distance training runs and I've started 5K running group at the Y to see if I can get up to running a whole 5K (instead of run/walk intervals) been running faster as they started with 1/1 intervals, 90s/1min was last week for only about 20 min so I've been pushing speed on those runs. Thanks!

Any advice for a new 1/2'er? I'm still not running the whole thing but I compleated the Tinkerbell 1/2 and will be running (ok particpating in might be a better word) the Pig in Cinci on the 6th. Right now I'm at about a 4min/2min intervals on my distance training runs and I've started 5K running group at the Y to see if I can get up to running a whole 5K (instead of run/walk intervals) been running faster as they started with 1/1 intervals, 90s/1min was last week for only about 20 min so I've been pushing speed on those runs. Thanks!

Missa, I'm sure you've noticed that as you lose weight it becomes easier to run faster/longer. You'll be running that 5K in no time.

Also, all running shoe stores are not the same and do not feel bad RETURNING a pair of running shoes if they fit you wrong. Took me 3 tries at one store till I moved on to anouther store that got me 90% of the way till the 3rd store (and the 8th shoe they brough out) for me to fall in LOVE with my running shoes. Do not accept any discomfort or numbess in your feet!!!

Absolutely. First off - congrats on the Tinkerbell 1/2 and joining the 5k group! You're going down the right path, and keep working on improving that running:walking ratio over time. I'd say next week go 5:2, and then 5:1 - and the emphasis here is just to continue running for the specified time, so don't worry about your pace at all.

I think it's great that you've joined the 5k group. That will introduce a new aerobic element of training, and the speed you work on there will make your distance training both faster and more efficient (and because you're doing this faster running, your long-run pace will even feel easier - nice bonus!). I think 90s/60s doesn't give you enough recovery if you're running quicker; would suggest a 1:1 ratio or even something tilted the other way. And for running that faster stuff 20 minutes is a perfect amount of time.

Good luck training for the 1/2! Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

I'm late to this thread also. Congrats to all, especially Gary.

I too have been "slimming down" since the holidays. I was pushing 220# (at 6'-2") on Jan 1 and I'm now down to under 200# and shooting for about 185 to 190.

My technique has simply been to work my a$$ off around the farm (literally I guess) and to be more selective about what I eat. But I'm not really following a specific diet or calorie counting.

And another biggie, as some from last year's 6Y9 fly-in will recall, it's my opinion that B.U.F.F.E.T. is an acronym and not a word. :goofy: I have always tried to avoid putting myself in that situation (which includes restaurants like Lambert's), especially when trying to slim down.

Last edited:
When I discovered I couldn't do a 3-point landing in the Decathlon without having to suck in my gut, that realization gave me plenty of motivation. That was about 25 lbs ago, and I'm about 18 lbs from my target. And feeling SO much better. And it's Friday and I'm having a beer tonight, dammit.

When I discovered I couldn't do a 3-point landing in the Decathlon without having to suck in my gut, that realization gave me plenty of motivation. That was about 25 lbs ago, and I'm about 18 lbs from my target. And feeling SO much better. And it's Friday and I'm having a beer tonight, dammit.

A beer isn't a problem, it's the other 5 that come along for the ride that kill ya.;)

A beer isn't a problem, it's the other 5 that come along for the ride that kill ya.;)

Ten beers isn't a problem if you can eliminate or dramatically reduce the other five. I'm living proof of that everytime I return from Southeast Asia.

Recently i decided to get serious about giving up milk after lots of reading about the hormones in it, etc ( even though I only buy organic). No other differences although now I usually have peanut butter toast instead of cereal for breakfast. I use soy milk for tea n coffee. I still put away chocolate before bed time ( ie right now, as I peruse the iPad...) and etc. Tonight is dark, last night was with hazelnuts, etc.

I lost 7 pounds - 5 in the first two weeks, two more since then.

We are a country of over weight people. What do you do to keep in shape, keep weight off, or loose weight?

Keeping your weight under control means you can avoid high blood pressure, diabetes, meds, a lot of things that can cancel your medical, or your life. :eek:

Keeping my weight within the guildlines is tough. I love to eat, I love deserts and candy. Portion control, nothing drive through, nothing from a bag, exercise. This keeps me somewhat healthy, but i am always 10 pounds over my ideal weight of 195 @ 6'1".

At Thanksgiving I was 215#s. Thanks to Weight Watchers for men I am now 2O5. It works!

What do you do to stay healthy?

You do realize that you're soliciting illegal information?

http://www.pakalertpress.com/2012/0...dvocating-paleo-diet-that-cured-his-diabetes/

Recently i decided to get serious about giving up milk after lots of reading about the hormones in it, etc ( even though I only buy organic). No other differences although now I usually have peanut butter toast instead of cereal for breakfast. I use soy milk for tea n coffee. I still put away chocolate before bed time ( ie right now, as I peruse the iPad...) and etc. Tonight is dark, last night was with hazelnuts, etc.

I lost 7 pounds - 5 in the first two weeks, two more since then.

I sternly doubt any bioactive reagents in milk could penetrate the digestive system. However, most people (the mighty Steingar included) are lactose intolerant, that is unable to digest the main sugar in milk, lactose. There are bacteria resident in the digestive system that will happily do the job, but their exhaust gasses can make one uncomfortable.

All that said, if it works for you good. I don't drink milk, haven't since I was a kid. But I cook with it a lot, can't make cream sauces without it, and eggs are lost without milk in my opinion. Don't even know what whole milk tastes like, though. I use the nonfat stuff. I put home made yogurt on my cereal, that an dome raisins. Mmmm.

I sternly doubt any bioactive reagents in milk could penetrate the digestive system. However, most people (the mighty Steingar included) are lactose intolerant, that is unable to digest the main sugar in milk, lactose. There are bacteria resident in the digestive system that will happily do the job, but their exhaust gasses can make one uncomfortable.

All that said, if it works for you good. I don't drink milk, haven't since I was a kid. But I cook with it a lot, can't make cream sauces without it, and eggs are lost without milk in my opinion. Don't even know what whole milk tastes like, though. I use the nonfat stuff. I put home made yogurt on my cereal, that an dome raisins. Mmmm.

Well, I'm not going to be obsessive about giving it up because you are right, there are a lot of things that just plain need milk. Those I am not giving up, including CHEESE (OMDB). The gratuitous use of milk, I am. Soy milk is surprisingly good in coffee and tea and you don't need sugar with it. As I mentioned I'm not having cereal these days but instead peanut butter toast (which has protein). I do wonder if I could have been slightly lactose intolerant because I do feel better this past month - not that I felt bad, but better now. BTW any milk I do use is 2% organic, and I still will use heavy cream in mashed potatoes and sauces. Again - not getting obsessive or anything!

Well, I'm not going to be obsessive about giving it up because you are right, there are a lot of things that just plain need milk. Those I am not giving up, including CHEESE (OMDB). The gratuitous use of milk, I am. Soy milk is surprisingly good in coffee and tea and you don't need sugar with it. As I mentioned I'm not having cereal these days but instead peanut butter toast (which has protein). I do wonder if I could have been slightly lactose intolerant because I do feel better this past month - not that I felt bad, but better now. BTW any milk I do use is 2% organic, and I still will use heavy cream in mashed potatoes and sauces. Again - not getting obsessive or anything!
Soy milk (or juice) can come unsweetened or sweetened. The sweetened soy milk is not too bad in coffee but has a fair amount of sugar. The unsweetened stuff is no good unless you add sugar or a lot of artificial sweetener.

Soy milk (or juice) can come unsweetened or sweetened. The sweetened soy milk is not too bad in coffee but has a fair amount of sugar. The unsweetened stuff is no good unless you add sugar or a lot of artificial sweetener.

I do not do artificial sweetener. Ugh. So bad for you. I think my home soy is unsweetened, but Starbucks is likely sweetened.

I do not do artificial sweetener. Ugh. So bad for you.
Is there any actual solid evidence of that? I certainly have never read anything indicating there is anything dangerous about the currently approved artificial sweeteners.

I do however know that being overweight is indeed dangerous so I'll take the calorie free artificial sweeteners..

I do not do artificial sweetener. Ugh. So bad for you. I think my home soy is unsweetened, but Starbucks is likely sweetened.

I doubt any of the artificial sweeteners currently in use so much as approach sucrose for adverse health effects. All that said, if you are not obese and not gaining weight, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with sucrose either.

Is there any actual solid evidence of that? I certainly have never read anything indicating there is anything dangerous about the currently approved artificial sweeteners.

I do however know that being overweight is indeed dangerous so I'll take the calorie free artificial sweeteners..

There is some scientific support for the theory that you can gain weight when using artifical sweeteners (and conversely not lose weight by using them). They may have zero calories, but apparently they produce other effects in the body that can lead to weight gain. The results are not conclusive, though.

I doubt any of the artificial sweeteners currently in use so much as approach sucrose for adverse health effects. All that said, if you are not obese and not gaining weight, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with sucrose either.

I only use real sugar (and I don't eat low or nonfat anything - ugh, if I'm going to eat it, it will taste good or I won't bother). In fact if sweetened soy uses something artificial, I need to reconsider using it. I don't believe the stuff I have at home is sweetened but not sure about Starbucks.

There is some scientific support for the theory that you can gain weight when using artifical sweeteners (and conversely not lose weight by using them). They may have zero calories, but apparently they produce other effects in the body that can lead to weight gain. The results are not conclusive, though.
Where is the evidence? A popular theory is that artificial sweeteners paradoxically encourage over-consumption of sugar but it has not worked that way for me.

Where is the evidence? A popular theory is that artificial sweeteners paradoxically encourage over-consumption of sugar but it has not worked that way for me.

Me either. I keep an artificially sweetened pitcher of decaffeinated tea in the fridge at all times, drink it with every meal, and I rarely eat sugar.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back