How To Lose Weight

FWIW:

I had been running 3 days a week--outdoors and at gym--for 40 mins. I ran hard, and kept my heart rate at 80%. Result was that I did not gain any weight; but I didn't lose, either.

Then I learned (as mentioned above) that is too high of a rate, and will burn muscle.

Three weeks ago, I switched to exercising 6 days a week. This time, jogging for 45 minutes to an hour, and keeping my heart rate at 65%, which is ideal for fat burn. In three weeks I have lost 8 lbs. I am 6 feet tall, and weigh 172 lbs now.

Ideal for me would be 160 lbs (ectomorph), or after losing the fat, adding muscle and weighing perhaps what I weigh now.

Eat fewer calories
Eat foods with fiber
Avoid foods with excessive fat

Exercise makes me feel better, but unless I get up to 2 hours of hard exercise a day, it doesn't seem to make much difference in the calorie burn.

I case some (not on facebook) care. I just hit a size 12. I don’t remember when I was last a size 12 but it was sometime in the 80’s. Last year I was trying to stuff myself into a 20. I’m ecstatic!

Couple of people at work have asked my secret, no secret. Hardwork, determination and will power. Workout hard, eat right.

I try to eat close to the ground. The closer it is to how it came out of the ground/ate the stuff coming out of the ground the better also the closer the ground it came out of/ate off of is to me the better too. I buy 70% of my groceries in the spring/summer/fall at the Saturday farmers market. I’m ok with high fat stuff as long as it’s naturally that way. I use butter, no imitation, Whole unhomogenized milk. Natural whole milk yogurt, If I want lemonade I squeeze a lemon add a little sugar and water, etc.

Last edited:
Just remember, maintenance is the hard part. You looked great in Philly, though. Keep up the good work.

Just sharing wisdom for dieters...

Heh heh.

4b94241c-e59c-693d.jpg

This is by far the easiest way to lose weight I have ever tried. It is fool proof, and you can join and go to groups, join online or there may even be a book.

It is time tested and fool proof. I started January 3rd after low back surgery and just had rotator cuff surgery and I have dropped 40 lbs. I have gone from 255 to 215 and will eventually be down to 180 to 190 or about 12% body fat.

I am 55 years old and had slowly ballooned up from 220 to 250 after hurting my back over a 10 year period. My exercise has slowed to nearly nothing, my eating was poor, oh, my height is just over 6 feet.

Back to the diet, Weight Watchers. Before the back surgery, I tried every diet, they all worked. But for long term success, for me going on nine months and at this point over 40 pounds with two surgeries thrown in Weight Watchers was king. You have the option of being able to eat anything in moderation. Huge data base of food already assigned a point value makes keeping track easy, support group to ask questions, you monitor it so if you are off course you can correct it plus if you choose every meal can be purchase already prepared in your grocers freezer case. Two different brands carry the point value for each entree or you can buy this little computer from Weight Watchers for $11 that you program in nutrional value for any food you eat and it tells you how many points.

It is idiot proof, you get bonus points for exercise, online or meetings, less than $40 to join, learn what you are doing then quit if you feel you can go it alone.

Its simple: go flying more! Dont open the window up and sweat it out!

For me soccer and swimming keep me in shape along with a punching bag.

Welcome to PoA Tag!

Alright, still down at 155, but back to a new old job Monday, this time with ATB tankers, we'll see how the feed there works out. That's a big hit or miss item with commercial fleets, no middle ground.

Eat less than the calories you burn. Its that simple.

Low carb diets work best for weight loss -

Low calorie diets work best to keep it off - or increased exercise.

I went from 209 on 21 May 2010 to 175 on 28 Aug 2010. Purely diet and exercise - 2 years I"m still 175 from, wait for it - - - - - diet and exercise.

I went from 198 in Aug to 165 in Oct and have come down further, but I have been able to make good intake choices, that is not always so easy on a commercial boat, however Ensure makes it possible.

I lost weight walking around Oshkosh in 100F heat for days. ;)

Honestly, I love it. Wish I had enough time to walk a couple miles every day looking at airplanes. ;)

Its simple: go flying more! Dont open the window up and sweat it out!

For me soccer and swimming keep me in shape along with a punching bag.

Welcome to PoA Tag!
I think this is the key. Windows open or closed, soccer, swimming, punching bag, or whatever else really doesn't matter. If you go flying more, you won't be able to afford to eat as much!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I went from 209 on 21 May 2010 to 175 on 28 Aug 2010. Purely diet and exercise - 2 years I"m still 175 from, wait for it - - - - - diet and exercise.
How simple. I lost 35 lb. on a strict diet with walking daily. Took a year, but it was wonderful. Maintained the exact same diet and walking for another year and haven't lost another lb. How does that fit your equation?

How simple. I lost 35 lb. on a strict diet with walking daily. Took a year, but it was wonderful. Maintained the exact same diet and walking for another year and haven't lost another lb. How does that fit your equation?

Exact same diet after you lose 35# means you have lost your caloric deficit. Your lighter body mass now burns less calories, so to continue losing weight you must eat less and / or exercise more. The nice thing is that you HAVE discovered the right amount of food and exercise to maintain your current weight!

Exact same diet after you lose 35# means you have lost your caloric deficit. Your lighter body mass now burns less calories, so to continue losing weight you must eat less and / or exercise more. The nice thing is that you HAVE discovered the right amount of food and exercise to maintain your current weight!
But obviously, it isn't nearly so simple as some would imply.

Many factors apply. What sort of calories are consumed? "Empty calories" such as a diet of 1200 calories candy products has a different effect from 1200 calories of fruits, 1200 calories of fats, 1200 calories of meat, 1200 calories of potato chips.

Also, the time of day when you eat those calories makes a difference. When you exercise makes a difference. Do you eat before exercise or the other way around? Do you exercise upon waking up, during the day, just before bedtime? Makes a difference. How hungry you feel is a factor, not only in your ability to stay on a diet, but also as a barometer into how your body and brain are reacting to your diet by burning or retaining fat.

Age is a factor. And so is emotion. And so is physical health. And, as a woman, the monthly cycle throws in hormones that affect emotions, water retention, metabolism, pain and well-being. Men have it only sightly easier.

Better living through chemistry, 40 years ago we weren't overweight because drug taking was normal Reds for the girls and 'Roids for the boys. Now we want to purify our toxified beings and we wonder why it doesn't work lol. We chose Witchcraft over science all because we try to enforce some ban on getting high that has never once in the entire known history of mankind ever worked out. Getting high may be a force of evolution, can't tell for sure, but I know what we're doing isn't working.

But obviously, it isn't nearly so simple as some would imply.

Many factors apply. What sort of calories are consumed? "Empty calories" such as a diet of 1200 calories candy products has a different effect from 1200 calories of fruits, 1200 calories of fats, 1200 calories of meat, 1200 calories of potato chips.

Also, the time of day when you eat those calories makes a difference. When you exercise makes a difference. Do you eat before exercise or the other way around? Do you exercise upon waking up, during the day, just before bedtime? Makes a difference. How hungry you feel is a factor, not only in your ability to stay on a diet, but also as a barometer into how your body and brain are reacting to your diet by burning or retaining fat.

Age is a factor. And so is emotion. And so is physical health. And, as a woman, the monthly cycle throws in hormones that affect emotions, water retention, metabolism, pain and well-being. Men have it only sightly easier.

no, No NO, NO, NO!

Fewer calories in than out, you loose weight, period. Anything else is impossible as it violates the second law of thermodynamics. What exactly the "correct" number of factories is for any given person is debatable, but fun events like the Bataan Death march and incarceration at Auschwitz have proven this quite successfully.

Gotta agree. No fat people in the concentration camps. Calories in versus calories out. Dont know about factories.

no, No NO, NO, NO!

Fewer calories in than out, you loose weight, period. Anything else is impossible as it violates the second law of thermodynamics. What exactly the "correct" number of factories is for any given person is debatable, but fun events like the Bataan Death march and incarceration at Auschwitz have proven this quite successfully.

You used carry around a 5 gallon bucket of water wherever you went. While your activity level may have remained the same, your caloric expenditure went down.

You used carry around a 5 gallon bucket of water wherever you went. While your activity level may have remained the same, your caloric expenditure went down.
Also her basic metabolic rate went down. When I dropped 60 lbs my caloric requirement at rest dropped from 2114 cal/day to 1739 cal/day. Energy is required to maintain fat as well as the rest of the body. I estimate her caloric requirement at rest went down 200 to 250 cal/day. With activity the difference is greater since as you indicated above. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Last edited:

You've reached equilibrium, where the calories in equals the calories out. If you want to loose more weight, you have to either ingest fewer calories or exercise more. Can't see why you want to do that, you looked fine to me, and you've found a nice equilibrium point where you know you can maintain the gains you've made.

i have started walking an hour a day...it works, however, very slowly. Nonetheless, the weight is coming off.

no, No NO, NO, NO!

While starvation will cause weight loss, you can alter your weight loss on the same regime of exercise and 1800cal diet by altering the timing of injestion during the day, in fact, I lost 40 pounds in 3 months on much the same calories by swapping out some protein for some sugars and by coursing my eating throughout the day rather than one or two slammed meals.

There is more than calories in and out, whether your body is in anabolic or catabolic mode make a big difference in how your body processes the calories in, storing them as fat for the hard times banking against all the missing food or turning them into muscle. You can actually gain fat and lose muscle while dieting and exercisizing by not eating frequently enough. This is why most deprivation diets don't work, sudden lack of nutrition makes the body think "oh crap, hard times comings, time to store fat" because that's what our bodies do.

While starvation will cause weight loss, you can alter your weight loss on the same regime of exercise and 1800cal diet by altering the timing of injestion during the day, in fact, I lost 40 pounds in 3 months on much the same calories by swapping out some protein for some sugars and by coursing my eating throughout the day rather than one or two slammed meals.

There is more than calories in and out, whether your body is in anabolic or catabolic mode make a big difference in how your body processes the calories in, storing them as fat for the hard times banking against all the missing food or turning them into muscle. You can actually gain fat and lose muscle while dieting and exercisizing by not eating frequently enough. This is why most deprivation diets don't work, sudden lack of nutrition makes the body think "oh crap, hard times comings, time to store fat" because that's what our bodies do.

Utter nonsense. It doesn't matter when you ingest calories, how much per sitting, or in what form. Now, if your method of caloric ingestion affects your level of activity, then that affects calories out. However, what I said holds absolutely. If calories in are less than calories out, you loose weight. You can't help but do so. Your body is designed to do so, and is designed to hold excess calories in the form of adipose tissue or fat, which is the most efficient means of storage.

What you eat and how frequently you eat may affect appetite and total daily caloric intake. It is possible that there may be some changes in basal metabolic rate with changes in diet and level of physical activity but the absolute difference in energy expended is probably not significant.

Ok, nonsense, how is your method working for you?
I lost 60 lbs since October and am continuing to lose more weight at a very slow pace. I feel great and have been running in the woods lately. I have resumed mountain biking recently but am limited by my 12 year old bike so I might just stick to running. If you don't believe me ask the guys at the POA dinner recently who also saw me the year before. Steingar couldn't believe how much different I look.

Last edited:
I barely recognized Gary, as he lost a great deal of weight and looked very good. When I want to loose weight, I decrease portions and food in, and maintain activity out. Works every time.

The problem comes in when people lack discipline. I get hungry, too bad. If I need to loose weight, I stay hungry. I get tired, too bad. I still walk to work. If you can maintain that sort of discipline, weight loss is actually quite easy. If not, you need to resort to help or gimmicks or whatever. But the surest way to weight loss is portion control coupled with exercise, no matter what your regimen.

I have resumed mountain biking recently but am limited by my 12 year old bike so I might just stick to running.

Get another bike or upgrade your present ride's components. You'll be pleasantly surprised by what's available. Running - as opposed to walking - in the woods greatly increases the chance of a bear encounter. We want you to reduce by getting rid of body fat, not by getting useful components like arms and legs ripped off of your body. :)

I lost 60 lbs since October and am continuing to lose more weight at a very slow pace. I feel great and have been running in the woods lately. I have resumed mountain biking recently but am limited by my 12 year old bike so I might just stick to running. If you don't believe me ask the guys at the POA dinner recently who also saw me the year before. Steingar couldn't believe how much different I look.

I barely recognized Gary, as he lost a great deal of weight and looked very good.
:yeahthat:

Get another bike or upgrade your present ride's components. You'll be pleasantly surprised by what's available. Running - as opposed to walking - in the woods greatly increases the chance of a bear encounter. We want you to reduce by getting rid of body fat, not by getting useful components like arms and legs ripped off of your body. :)
I thought about upgrading it but it would be fairly expensive and the bottom bracket is an older design. I looked at new bikes and I can't believe that a good hardtail now runs over $1,000. Not enough biking season to justify the cost. I'll just have to outrun the bears.

I thought about upgrading it but it would be fairly expensive and the bottom bracket is an older design. I looked at new bikes and I can't believe that a good hardtail now runs over $1,000. Not enough biking season to justify the cost. I'll just have to outrun the bears.
No, you just need to go running with someone slower than you!:rofl:

No, you just need to go running with someone slower than you!

I was going to post the original joke, but didn't have time to write / find it. :) Seriously, the problem is that you run into the bear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to post the original joke, but didn't have time to write / find it. :) Seriously, the problem is that you run into the bear.
They're up here. My wife, son and a bear crossed paths on a hike a few years ago. Nobody got eaten and the bear silently ambled off into the woods.

I barely recognized Gary, as he lost a great deal of weight and looked very good. When I want to loose weight, I decrease portions and food in, and maintain activity out. Works every time.

Neither did I but I think that may have had more to due with Grant then the weight loss. :redface:

I know everyone's heard about it, but the three things I do is eat right (which I will explain), bike short distances to shops instead of drive, and lastly... P90X, that's right and I'll tell you what it kicks my ass!

During the winter time I lose motivation to work out, so I go about 5 months without working out through the lovely unhealthy eating holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas, therefore I put on about 10 pounds of fat, but lose ten pounds of muscle so I never actually change weight but I can feel my unhealthiness and being out of shape. Doing P90X starting in march all the way until August gets me tone, in shape, and happy about myself, not to mention it is only an Hour a day so I can fit that in between my instruction times.

The next thing is eating right.. there are so many ways to fool your pallet into thinking that it is eating something nasty (which inadvertently taste awesome, sadly) when you are actually eating very healthy. One thing is to take time and prepare food in the morning, combine foods together you know taste good and while you are at it, throw in some healthy things you might not normally like the taste of and eat it all TOGETHER, don't make up chicken and veggies and just sift out the chicken and leave the veggies there, eat it all together!

Also, eat three FILLING meals a day... You are going to get the most calories and saturated fats from white breads, greased up foods like potatoes, Oils and Liquid flavorings, and fatty meats. So eat a lot!! BUT of the good foods, things like a good amount of vegetables, lean chicken, pork and beef, usually together, I hate just having one type of vegetable with a sausage or other meet for lunch or dinner, so I usually mix veggies together, and because I am young I add a bit more sodium than I should :)... But if you make full, complicated meals at least twice a day (breakfast and dinner) and PACK YOUR OWN FOOD!!!!!!!! for lunch, you should be able to keep that weight off, also remember 1 hour in IMC burns 140 calories!! It's true, look it up!! :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back