How To Lose Weight

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
We are a country of over weight people. What do you do to keep in shape, keep weight off, or loose weight?

Keeping your weight under control means you can avoid high blood pressure, diabetes, meds, a lot of things that can cancel your medical, or your life. :eek:

Keeping my weight within the guildlines is tough. I love to eat, I love deserts and candy. Portion control, nothing drive through, nothing from a bag, exercise. This keeps me somewhat healthy, but i am always 10 pounds over my ideal weight of 195 @ 6'1".

At Thanksgiving I was 215#s. Thanks to Weight Watchers for men I am now 2O5. It works!

What do you do to stay healthy?

Last edited:
Re: How To Loose Weight

I've been battling the weight for a while now. For the most part, chasing my dog, riding the bus and avoiding meals with coworkers seems in addition to normal portion control efforts seems to be the winning strategy for me. For some reason I can eat small by myself, but struggle with portion control around coworkers, friends, and family.

And in the warmer months I paddle around the marina and ocean.

Swimming, walking and yardwork. Unfortunately in the winter I have to walk on a treadmill since swimming is not an option. I think swimming is one of the best exercises there is. Low stress on the joints and a good overall workout for all muscles. I am 190 and 6' 1" so I think i'm pretty much on target for my height. I seem to expand one belt notch in the winter but drop it back off in the summer when I am more active.

I have lost 56 lbs (244 to 188) since late October by severely restricting sugar and carbs and spending 30 to 60 min a day on the elliptical machine. Only about 10 more lbs to go. The people I met at the POA Oshkosh cookout and 6Y9 fly in might not recognize me.

I run, eat very little red meat, try to avoid saturated fats, eat green vegetables and watch portion sizes. Also, I don't skip meals and avoid snacking.

Wow Gary that's awesome! I'm creeping up to 200 and I really want to be 185.

I'm on the seefood diet; frequently, if I see it I'll eat it. Very fortunate, I've weighed 138-142 since 1960-1961(junior year of high school). Admittedly, I'm "loose" with diet and rarely have necessity to "lose" weight(which is what the thread title should reference).
Exercise? I go up and down two flights of stairs here in the house, frequently; and do quite a bit of other walking. I think it's a gene factor; my father was the same way. In the 1990s he could wear the Army uniforms he wore from 1941-1945. Food is my passion.

HR

Diet and exercise. Something I've slipped up on a bit over the last few months, and it shows. Back to work...

Swimming, walking and yardwork. Unfortunately in the winter I have to walk on a treadmill since swimming is not an option.

No indoor pools, I guess? :)

Over here I don't have access to one indoors either, but down south (VOBL) it doesn't get TOO cold (albeit we are at 3000'). The pool in the Holiday Inn in Mumbai was 65F last week. Very chilly, but doable. You swim really fast in those conditions.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

I avoid too many meals. Skip breakfast and lunch. Maybe a piece of pumpkin pie in the afternoon. I can easily loose 1 lb in a day if all I eat is pumpkin pie. If something else like a burger, I keep the portions reasonable for dinner. Then, I can eat as many pineapple Popsicles as I like and still maintain or lose. Once a week or so, I may go out for Mexican food. I find that can easily gain 4 lbs in one day just from that. It then takes at least two days of minimal intake to get back where I started.

Now, if I am spending most of the day out shoveling snow or cutting, splitting and stacking firewood, or pruning and burning tree debris, or other such work, then I'll either lose a lot more, or will need to eat more.

So, if you work hard physically, you can eat more or lose more, whichever you chose. If you sit around, you will either need to eat less, or accept the gains.

I eat all I want whenever I want.

:D

I also exercise -- 20 mile bike rides on rolling terrain 3-4 days a week, 2-3 mile walks the other days.

I figure it's far easier to be disciplined 5-6 hours a week than 24 hours every single day....

I used to swim and do gym work and that had zero impact on weight.

Not enough!

Took the words right out of my mouth.

An aviation reason to keep the weight under control: I figure that losing 20 pounds would be a more effective means to gain climb rate in my 140 than adding 10 pounds of speed mods.

I haven't achieved the 20 pound lose yet, but that's one reason for trying to lose weight.

Actually I've figured out that I'm not over weight, I'm under height. ;)

The point where I reached my heaviest and decided I'd better do something about it I used Atkins and lost 53 pounds. I've put some of it back on as I don't have a regular exercise routine. I have lost 6 pounds since after the holidays and am putting some emphasis on losing again. Not sure if I'll make my goal or not.

Drink more Bourbon!

:D

I have lost 56 lbs (244 to 188) since late October by severely restricting sugar and carbs and spending 30 to 60 min a day on the elliptical machine. Only about 10 more lbs to go. The people I met at the POA Oshkosh cookout and 6Y9 fly in might not recognize me.

Wow, good for you Gary!

Being a vegetarian for the last couple decades has helped. Reasonable portion control helps as well. The six miles I walk every day helps.

Getting to be an old fart has hurt more than anything else.

congratulations Gary!

I used to swim and do gym work and that had zero impact on weight.

Here too. Exercise is for cardio health and muscle tone. Our bodies are machines and need to be exercised to stay in shape, but it has little to do with weight loss, IMHO. Portion control is the key for me.

Man, that is amazing. Way to go! :cheers:

Decrease calories in and increase calories out (read eat less and exercise more) and you WILL loose weight. It is in fact unavoidable. Assuming you can do both those things for an extended period. It isn't easy, and I laud anyone who can.

Decrease calories in and increase calories out (read eat less and exercise more) and you WILL loose weight. It is in fact unavoidable. Assuming you can do both those things for an extended period. It isn't easy, and I laud anyone who can.

My wife joined Weight Watchers and there system makes is easy. Now she has be doing it too. You get so many points a day. If you control your portion size and use all of your points you can lose weight slowly which is the key. Cut out fast food, substitute fruit and good stuff for you and it is easy.

I'm not a commercial for Weight Watchers, but I highly recommend it.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/betterformen/

I want to keep flying as long as I can, staying healthy is manditory. Keep my weight under control is a means to an end. :D

4 points a drink! :eek:

You would not believe how many calories are in booze. :mad:

I had to cut back on rum too. :redface:

High octane booze has lots of calories, but not much to assimilate into weight. That's how you tell the drunks apart by what they weigh and what's disfigured/discolored on them lol. Straight booze drunks are skinny with a Gin blossom nose; typically yellow eyes nearing the end.

I have a digital food scale at home and at work to enforce portion control. I had to give up my 1 to 2 beers a day but take a shot of Bourbon each day (80 cals and no sugar) as a reward if I exercise on the elliptical. I eliminated almost all sugar and simple carbs and substituted veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, celery, tomato, squash, spinach and eat a fair amount of lean deli turkey.

My wife joined Weight Watchers and there system makes is easy. Now she has be doing it too. You get so many points a day. If you control your portion size and use all of your points you can lose weight slowly which is the key. Cut out fast food, substitute fruit and good stuff for you and it is easy.

I'm not a commercial for Weight Watchers, but I highly recommend it.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/betterformen/

I want to keep flying as long as I can, staying healthy is manditory. Keep my weight under control is a means to an end. :D

You will never hear me denigrate programs such as Weight Watchers. Well, you might, if the joke was sufficiently funny. Of course, the trick is to modify your dietary and exercise habits for the day you remove yourself from the program. Loosing the weight is only half the battle...

About six months ago I decided that I should either eat my own meal OR my kids leftovers but not both. As I don't like to throw away food, I start out dinner with an empty plate now :) .

I also noticed that getting sick like a dog for a week is good for 15lbs :( .

Can't one of the administrators change the thread title from "Loose" to Lose? It may be correct re spelling, but the use is incorrect.

First of all, my job helps a lot. I am a lifeguard supervisor/lifeguard instructor/lifeguard at an aquatics center in the summer, and at an indoor municipal pool in the off season. . I spend a lot of time in the water. In fact, they pay me to swim every week. In the summer I burn a lot of calories and can eat some concession stand junk food without much trouble. However in the off season I spend a lot of time on my butt. So besides swimming I ride my bicycle everywhere, run a little, lift some weights, but most of all, I don't graze. It seems to me that if I am not careful I can down a lot of calories just eating stuff that comes along. So if someone brings cookies to work, I don't eat them. If I'm going through the grocery store and they have samples, I don't eat them. I also quit eating when I am not hungry anymore. But the job is a big motivator. I have to meet physical standards every month, and they are not age adjusted for a 61 year old. I also have to stand around in a swimsuit every day, so that is always in the back of my mind.

I work out at the gym in the morning, seven days a week. I do a minimum of 30 minutes on cardio, but I typically do an hour, followed by weights. And on the weekends I ride a bicycle when I can.

Diet wise I'm a low carb person but admittedly I probably eat more than I should, and more crap than I should (greasy fatty things.) Leafy green salads and some kind of meat (beef, chicken, fish).

I like me drinks from time to time. Red wine has few usable calories and distilled spirits (i.e. Scotch) have virtually none. Although I like beer, all I will drink is Michelob Ultra, which tastes like dog **** so I'm usually back to Scotch or wine unless it's 130 degrees outside and I'm working in the garage or doing yard work.

Also, I don't drive if I'm only going a block or two to get lunch or run to the store. I'll walk.

Well, Sac... all of you action figure models need to work very hard to remain... action figure models. ;D

I think a lot people went way overboard with the "carbs are bad" idea a few years ago. I also severly restrict sugar (whether sucrose or HFCS) as too much makes me tired and unwilling to exercise. OTOH, I now get the majority of my calories from carbs like oats, brown rice, and fruits while moderating my meats. Though I'm really surprised the extra fruits don't slow me down since by definition fruits contains a crap load of fructose.

I think a lot people went way overboard with the "carbs are bad" idea a few years ago. I also severly restrict sugar (whether sucrose or HFCS) as too much makes me tired and unwilling to exercise. OTOH, I now get the majority of my calories from carbs like oats, brown rice, and fruits while moderating my meats. Though I'm really surprised the extra fruits don't slow me down since by definition fruits contains a crap load of fructose.
Carb restriction really worked for me when all else failed. I will start to incorporate high fiber complex carb stuff like oat bran or beans into my diet when I get to the maintenance phase. I now realize that sugar (in all of its various forms) is poison.

Carb restriction really worked for me when all else failed. I will start to incorporate high fiber complex carb stuff like oat bran or beans into my diet when I get to the maintenance phase. I now realize that sugar (in all of its various forms) is poison.

And as you know, better than most is that many carbs just turn into sugar. The old food pyramid was WRONG.

And as you know, better than most is that many carbs just turn into sugar. The old food pyramid was WRONG.
True but since complex carbs are turned into sugar fairly slowly you might be able to burn them before they are incorporated as fat. Simple sugars will be converted into fat quickly (except for uncontrolled diabetics) unless you are exercising enough to burn them immediately.

True but since complex carbs are turned into sugar fairly slowly you might be able to burn them before they are incorporated as fat. Simple sugars will be converted into fat quickly (except for uncontrolled diabetics) unless you are exercising enough to burn them immediately.

Yes, that's what I was talking about, simple sugars from carbs, white bread, Twinkies, etc.

The higher fiber complex stuff, in moderation (like anything) is fine.

Correct, and the simpler the carb the quicker the process works.

The first use of proteins and fats, as they are broken down by the body, is the production of amino acids for cellular regrowth and muscle production. Most excess proteins and fats are excreted, and the remaining amino acids in your system are further broken down in to carbohydrates, and ultimately in to glucose for energy. This is a slow process.

The first use of carbohydrates is for energy, as they break down quickly to glucose. This is a fast process with little opportunity for excess carbohydrates to be excreted, particularly if they are simple carbohydrates. Any excess glucose that is not consumed by energy requirements will go to fat storage. All food, regardless of the composition, must be broken down to glucose for energy and fat storage. A secondary use of carbohydrates is the synthesis of amino acids, for cellular regrowth and muscle production if those needs have not been met by protein breakdown. This however is a slow process compared to the chain breakdown of carbohydrates into sugars and glucose, so if you have a diet that is primarily carbohydrates, you generally have to consume more energy calories than you need in order to provide your body with the amino acids it requires.

Generally speaking that is probably true, but I ran a couple of marathons a couple of years ago and had my mileage up to about 45 miles a week. Granted, the first couple of thousand calories a day need to be quality, but when you need to take in a couple thousand more, carbs are king. Once I took up flying, my mileage dropped, though and I can't enjoy as many carbs. :sad:

Generally speaking that is probably true, but I ran a couple of marathons a couple of years ago and had my mileage up to about 45 miles a week. Granted, the first couple of thousand calories a day need to be quality, but when you need to take in a couple thousand more, carbs are king. Once I took up flying, my mileage dropped, though and I can't enjoy as many carbs. :sad:
I should rephrase my statement about sugar:

Sugar is poison unless you are running a marathon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back