How To Lose Weight

They're up here. My wife, son and a bear crossed paths on a hike a few years ago. Nobody got eaten and the bear silently ambled off into the woods.

I was under the impression that the bear species that inhabits Michigan is the black bear. If I am correct, I can see little cause for concern. While black bears a large and quite scary, they're also shy and retiring, and will usually not bother people except to steal food. It is a good idea not to get between a mother bear and her cubs, however.

I was under the impression that the bear species that inhabits Michigan is the black bear. If I am correct, I can see little cause for concern. While black bears a large and quite scary, they're also shy and retiring, and will usually not bother people except to steal food. It is a good idea not to get between a mother bear and her cubs, however.
We have only black bears and attacks are rare unless you get between mom and a cub but fatal attacks have been documented in North America. I am more worried about my dog getting attacked by a wolf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Most of the popular lit on black bears is based on studies in grizzly country, where they are somewhat shy and retiring. That's less so in areas where they are the dominant predator. They're still nowhere near as aggressive as ursus arctos, and Gary F's encounter is the norm. However, they will react negatively if surprised - say if you're running and come upon one unexpectedly. Huffing and puffing - like many of us do while running - won't help things. If your path in the woods is reasonably busy you'll be fine. If you're "exploring", be careful!

I've encountered several black bears while backpacking - results again similar to Gary F's. My gear makes plenty of noise, though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
24% of deaths in the US are attributed to heart disease.
0.000000000000001% of deaths in the US are attributed to unprovoked black-bear attack.

I would keep running.

0.000000000000001% of deaths in the US are attributed to unprovoked black-bear attack.

I would keep running.
Running from bears can be good exercise. Didn't see any yesterday evening.

I would keep running.

3 people I have known including my pediatrician who was a health nut died of heat attacks while running. Give me a smoke and the keys to a car and I'll pick you up at the far side...:rofl:

3 people I have known including my pediatrician who was a health nut died of heat attacks while running. Give me a smoke and the keys to a car and I'll pick you up at the far side...:rofl:

Many runners, like the highly celebrated Jim Fixx, formerly had bad habits that did irreparable damage to their cardiovascular systems. Some folks are just born with bad tickers. I'll take the healthier habits thank you.

Then again, Henning, you'r win far better shape than me, so obviously you aren't practicing what you preach.

I would keep running.

100% of people who breath will die. :dunno:

One thing is certain in the world, we are all going to die. Live life to it's fullest, with no regrets. :D

Many runners, like the highly celebrated Jim Fixx, formerly had bad habits that did irreparable damage to their cardiovascular systems. Some folks are just born with bad tickers. I'll take the healthier habits thank you.

Then again, Henning, you'r win far better shape than me, so obviously you aren't practicing what you preach.
I am starting to reconsider going on a vegetarian diet after seeing Steingar at the POA dinner. The guy is really skinny and probably has a very low risk of developing cardiovascular disease. I might be able to pull if off if I could cheat and eat fish as well. Steingar's chili recipe skillfully prepared by Leslie was great.

I am starting to reconsider going on a vegetarian diet after seeing Steingar at the POA dinner. The guy is really skinny and probably has a very low risk of developing cardiovascular disease. I might be able to pull if off if I could cheat and eat fish as well. Steingar's chili recipe skillfully prepared by Leslie was great.

Leslie's chili recipe skillfully (and partially) prepared by Steingar, actually. Gary, whatever you're doing, you should keep doing it. It is obviously working quite well.

Leslie's chili recipe skillfully (and partially) prepared by Steingar, actually. Gary, whatever you're doing, you should keep doing it. It is obviously working quite well.
Sorry, I didn't mean to cheat you out of the credit for the superb chili but I bet Leslie did most of the cooking.

I tried the vegetarian diet between 1995 and 1997 and did not lose weight and my cholesterol numbers did not look very good. I now realize that the problem was that I consumed way too many carbs, especially bagels. I agree that the vegetarian diet can be a more healthful diet if pick your foods properly.

Lots of fat vegetarians.
Really? The few I have run into seem to be consistently skinny. I though that I was the exception. I can understand how a vegetarian could be fat as a 5 lb bag of sugar is technically legal on that diet.

What I have had sucess with is not being a vegetarian but being a veggie-a-holic. By volume I try to make my plate 1/3 Meat/carb, 2/3 Veggies/fruit (heavier on the veggies). Veggies by volume contain so many less calorie and so much more nutriants then meat/carbs (bread/pasta).

Also try to eat close to the ground you live on, more local produce and local rased meat the better! And the more herloom, odd veggies and variaty the better.

Edit: I'm also never hungry eating this way, so much veggies to eat!

What I have had success with is:

1) Avoiding sugary drinks, which satisfy the sugar craving and quench thirst but don't make you feel full.

2) Exercise -- bicycling in the summer, fast walking in the winter. I have enough minor issues with my knees that I don't think I could hack running. Since I live in a flat area, even my fastest walking pace is not as good aerobically as bicycling, but every couple weeks during the winter I try to hike at a fast pace through hilly areas.

3) Retraining my brain. It's been 9 years ago now that I started forcing myself to think of the consequences of overeating. I like the way being thin feels. I don't like the way I feel after I've gorged myself. Feeling heavy and unfit is a major drag for me. After doing this for years, I no longer get that addictive "fix", dopamine/glucose rush, or whatever it is from eating. I'm not vegan, vegetarian, or even a veggie-holic, though I do have a good serving of veggies several times a week (not even every day though). I'm an omnivore though in the meat department I eat mostly fish, occasionally chicken, and very rarely red meat. In the oil department I use only canola (PAM) and olive, though I eat out a lot so I may get more of the bad kinds than I know about (my favorite restaurant is a Middle Eastern though, so maybe not). My latest cholesterol numbers were what more than one doc has called "perfect, I'd kill for numbers like that". My HDL and LDL are both 70 something. Maybe I simply did a good job of picking my parents, but I think lifestyle has something to do with it too.

What I have had success with is:

1) Avoiding sugary drinks, which satisfy the sugar craving and quench thirst but don't make you feel full.

2) Exercise -- bicycling in the summer, fast walking in the winter. I have enough minor issues with my knees that I don't think I could hack running. Since I live in a flat area, even my fastest walking pace is not as good aerobically as bicycling, but every couple weeks during the winter I try to hike at a fast pace through hilly areas.

3) Retraining my brain. It's been 9 years ago now that I started forcing myself to think of the consequences of overeating. I like the way being thin feels. I don't like the way I feel after I've gorged myself. Feeling heavy and unfit is a major drag for me. After doing this for years, I no longer get that addictive "fix", dopamine/glucose rush, or whatever it is from eating. I'm not vegan, vegetarian, or even a veggie-holic, though I do have a good serving of veggies several times a week (not even every day though). I'm an omnivore though in the meat department I eat mostly fish, occasionally chicken, and very rarely red meat. In the oil department I use only canola (PAM) and olive, though I eat out a lot so I may get more of the bad kinds than I know about (my favorite restaurant is a Middle Eastern though, so maybe not). My latest cholesterol numbers were what more than one doc has called "perfect, I'd kill for numbers like that". My HDL and LDL are both 70 something. Maybe I simply did a good job of picking my parents, but I think lifestyle has something to do with it too.
Excellent. Any cholesterol numbers that pre-date your existing diet?

Excellent. Any cholesterol numbers that pre-date your existing diet?
I do remember having a problem with "high" triglycerides when I was in my 20s. But other than that, I do not recall what my numbers were like. My last lipid panel before this year was somewhere around 2005-6, but it was not much different than these numbers.

:rofl:

I don't think so. :nono:

Honestly there are. Lots of vegetarian friendly foods are very high in fat, like cheese, and fried anything. And most desserts are meat free.

Taken in percentages, I would imagine there are far fewer obese vegetarians. because lots us us get into the diet due to health concerns in the first place.

I do remember having a problem with "high" triglycerides when I was in my 20s. But other than that, I do not recall what my numbers were like. My last lipid panel before this year was somewhere around 2005-6, but it was not much different than these numbers.
High triglycerides often accompany a high carbohydrate diet. This can also be associated with a really nasty form of LDL bad cholesterol and low HDL good cholesterol. You must be doing something right if your HDL/LDL ratio is around 1.

The best diet out there is the QESDM* diet. It works every time it's tried and adhered to. Remember that a serving of meat isn't a 24 oz Porterhouse, it's 4 oz or about the size of a pack of playing cards.

* Quit Eating So Damn Much

You've reached equilibrium, where the calories in equals the calories out. If you want to loose more weight, you have to either ingest fewer calories or exercise more. Can't see why you want to do that, you looked fine to me, and you've found a nice equilibrium point where you know you can maintain the gains you've made.
I'm probably about 10 lb. from being able to get a medical. I'd like to be able to fly solo again.

I'd also like to increase the probability of living to be a really old and cranky lady. Being fat and happy is overrated.

Anyway, GREAT NEWS! Today, I broke through that wall and the scale read 1 lb. less than it has for over a year! Tomorrow, though....

Anyway, GREAT NEWS! Today, I broke through that wall and the scale read 1 lb. less than it has for over a year! Tomorrow, though....

images

I'm probably about 10 lb. from being able to get a medical. I'd like to be able to fly solo again.

I'd also like to increase the probability of living to be a really old and cranky lady. Being fat and happy is overrated.

Congratulations Peggy. Weighing daily is counter productive.

Well done. It is far more difficult for women than men. Keep it going. Like I said, you looked fine by me.

Congrats, Peggy! :thumbsup:

I get on the scale every morning. I write the weight down on the mirror with a dry-erase marker. I watch my weight go up, go down, and stay the same, as the prior day. But over the past almost 3 months, IIRC I've lost 14#.

I eat a lot of fruit, and more veggies than I used to. If I'm eating something that isn't fruit or veggie, I consciously take a smaller portion than I used to. Several times a week I walk during my lunch break. And when I want a snack, I grab a piece of fruit or a handful of grape tomatoes (those are from the garden, for now).

I haven't really noticed a difference in how I "feel" yet, but I have noticed my pants aren't as tight anymore. Also, I wear mostly polo shirts, since they don't have buttons down the front that pull when I sit down like a button-down shirt, but last weekend, I wore a casual button-down shirt a couple times, and they were more comfortable than they had been before.

Step by step, bit by bit, I'll get there.

This is a bit curious. I was not under the impression that medical certification was weight based. There are pilots far, far more obese than you (not that I would at all call you obese) that have current medical certifications.

All that said, if I have touched on a medical matter you consider private, please accept my apologies. I just saw something that looked a bit onto f place.

Congratulations Peggy. Weighing daily is counter productive.
It's never been counterproductive for me. I don't put too much stock in the day-to-day, but I do pay attention to trends that continue over >2 days.

Peggy, that's great news, keep it up! :cheers:

It's never been counterproductive for me. I don't put too much stock in the day-to-day, but I do pay attention to trends that continue over >2 days.

Peggy, that's great news, keep it up! :cheers:
That's about how it is for me. If I go up 1 day, ok. If I go up 2 days in a row, :(

This is a bit curious. I was not under the impression that medical certification was weight based. There are pilots far, far more obese than you (not that I would at all call you obese) that have current medical certifications.

All that said, if I have touched on a medical matter you consider private, please accept my apologies. I just saw something that looked a bit onto f place.

I was very concerned about my BP before the medical, which is weight-based in my case. I fall into the obese scale (though imagining myself, a 6'1" guy, at 144 pounds is laughable). I was able to get my medical, thankfully, and beginning flying lessons has been a great motivating factor for me, I've lost ~20 pounds since I started about 2 months ago.

I love the low carb approach and find that works really well for me when I can stick to it. I suck at portion control and exercise, both of which I need to be better at.

I am obese. If I lose another 12 lb, I'll be overweight (fat). I was morbidly obese before losing weight. As a result, there were medical issues, which have nearly cleared up. I anticipate that by losing those 10 to 12 lb, I'll be healthy enough. Naturally, my goal is a normal healthy weight. (And dancing in my wedding dress again.)

Thanks for the compliment, though.

Thanks for all the congratulations. Hardly seems fair to generate all this praise for losing 1 lb.

:goofy:

That's about how it is for me. If I go up 1 day, ok. If I go up 2 days in a row, :(
Or down, if I'm below my target weight. Being in a position to worry about losing too much might seem enviable, but the thinner you are, the less you can afford to lose. I was down to 128 a couple of years ago and really looked bony. 132 is about as low as I let myself go without doing something about it.

Or down, if I'm below my target weight. Being in a position to worry about losing too much might seem enviable, but the thinner you are, the less you can afford to lose. I was down to 128 a couple of years ago and really looked bony. 132 is about as low as I let myself go without doing something about it.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That's something I won't have to worry about for at least a day or two!

But when I graduated high school, I was 125#, 5'9", and wore 27" waist pants! :yikes: :hairraise:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back