How to hand prop a Cirrus (A Satire)

I have flown a Cirrus before, (No where near an expert) but I don't understand why he would try to hand prop a fuel injected Airplane?

Hard to believe these accidents still happen. What "mission" was so important to complete that the pilot tried to fly an unairworthy aircraft? A Cirrus is not a Champ.

Ambulance chaser gonna ask "is there anything in the limitations section of the AFM prohibiting hand propping? If not, then why isn't there an approved procedure!" or you "received inadequate training from your cirrus dealer!" Clearly they need to issue an AD and install WIS "weight in seat" switches that prevents the engine from starting without someone in a seat.

Why was it unairworthyo_O

Aircraft was built with at least one battery, to be used to start and operate the aircraft normally. If the battery can't start it, it isn't 100% airworthy. I am sure other will disagree. This aircraft is not a Champ or Cub.

That all said, I have heard of hand propping Chieftains to get out of some inhospitable locations.

Wow... did he really run in front of the spinning meat cleaver after the plane started moving.???

And yes, agree on that sinking stomach feeling....

Aircraft was built with at least one battery, to be used to start and operate the aircraft normally. If the battery can't start it, it isn't 100% airworthy. I am sure other will disagree. This aircraft is not a Champ or Cub.

That all said, I have heard of hand propping Chieftains to get out of some inhospitable locations.
does a lack of a starter make the electrical system inoperable? and is the starter on the MEL?

Wouldn't have hurt to tell the pax to put their hand on the mixture and if things go really bad then yank it all the way back.
Wouldn't have hurt to have the parking brake set and the passenger on the toe brakes. Wouldn't have hurt at all.

does a lack of a starter make the electrical system inoperable? and is the starter on the MEL?
I'm pretty sure it had a starter, just not enough juice to spin it. However, once started, it would charge the battery.

I don't need no stinkin battery.

If the starter had been bad, it definitely would have not been airworthy. If the alternator was bad, it would not have been airworthy. If the battery was bad, it wasn't airworthy.
If the battery was merely dead, he might have been able to charge it after start to get it airworthy by takeoff.

I can tell you one thing after jumping the Navion (with cables, not handpropping). You better darn well make sure that the battery contactor will open or you won't charge anything.

It's my understanding that charging a dead battery using the aircraft's alternator is neither good for the battery nor good for the alternator. I was always taught to use a dedicated charger to charge the battery and then attempt to start the aircraft.

The only type of plane I have ever hand propped

MOTORPLANE-1200.jpg

It's my understanding that charging a dead battery using the aircraft's alternator is neither good for the battery nor good for the alternator. I was always taught to use a dedicated charger to charge the battery and then attempt to start the aircraft.
Meh....I wouldn't say that. ;)

It's my understanding that charging a dead battery using the aircraft's alternator is neither good for the battery nor good for the alternator.
Why?

An alternator puts out 14ish volts, a battery charger puts out 14ish volts - how does the battery know the difference? (Yes, an inexpensive charger will not supply as much current as the alternator or a good battery charger - how do you know your A&P doesn't have a good one?).
Charging a purd near dead battery requires more current output from the alternator. Turning on the landing light requires more current output from the alternator. Is turning on the landing light not good for the alternator?

(Yes, I realize that "aircraft" batteries are crap compared to automotive batteries.)

so....the consensus was the battery was dead? :confused:

If you watch the whole video there is a statement from an FBO employee. The upshot is the pilot had a dead battery and wanted to borrow a GPU to get his aircraft started and the FBO employee didn't know where a GPU was and/or if the pilot could borrow it. The accident was on a Saturday and a mechanic wouldn't be available until Monday morning...

At least drained.

And that he is a moron. :D (or at least more focused on impressing his girlfriend than aviation safety)
We can also come to a consensus that he did, in fact, make an impression on her. Mission accomplished.

If you watch the whole video there is a statement from an FBO employee. The upshot is the pilot had a dead battery and wanted to borrow a GPU to get his aircraft started and the FBO employee didn't know where a GPU was and/or if the pilot could borrow it. The accident was on a Saturday and a mechanic wouldn't be available until Monday morning...
Plus it's a 24V battery so you can't put a car battery charger on it.

But at least he saved the $50 or whatever that the FBO might have charged to come over and jump start it. Seems like a frugal pilot.

He tried them. They said he'd have to wait until Monday for a mechanic to do it.

I'm pretty sure it had a starter, just not enough juice to spin it. However, once started, it would charge the battery.

Not necessarily. If the battery is so dead it can't energize the alternator field, the alternator would be useless and would not charge the battery.

He tried them. They said he'd have to wait until Monday for a mechanic to do it.

Not necessarily. If the battery is so dead it can't energize the alternator field, the alternator would be useless and would not charge the battery.
energize the alternator....before disconnecting the jumpers?

can't you get two 12V in series to jump the thing? Cheaper than hand propping into a hangar....

Spectacular failure on so many fronts!

Still can't get over the fact that he ran across the prop as the plan was accelerating forward! He really took the "it's better to be lucky than good" thing to the extreme!

Reactions: Ted
Pretty sure the Cirrus POH says to not to attempt to jump start a Cirrus, rather you should recharge the battery with a charger and fix whatever caused the discharge.

From the 2018 sr 20 POH

• Caution • Do not use external power to start the airplane with a ‘dead’ battery or to charge a dead or weak battery in the airplane. The battery must be removed from the airplane and battery maintenance performed in accordance with the appropriate AMM procedures.

I imagine his buddy won’t be riding with him anymore, nor will he hear the end of it from the wife.

Back