How many "things" have you done to your plane?

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
Working on my A&P hours I sat down and just thought of all the stuff I've done to my airplane with replacing this, removing that, overhauling that etc. I've come up with 84 items stem to stern such as replacing the trim barrel in the tail to stripping and painting the spinner in the nose.

Now I just have to come up with the time spent on each and document it along with the various AD/regulations/maintenance manual paragraph etc for each one in my log book.

Have you ever just sat down and listed all the things you've done to your airplane? It may surprise you.

Last edited:
Well, there aren't too many little parts in a 40+ year old plane that are original, inside and out. Pretty much only the original parts are the wings, fuselage, and control surfaces. Anything plastic, interior, or engine related has pretty much been replaced by now. At least once. Kinda like owning a home. Don't really wanna know the cost. Too depressing.

1. Flown.
2. Filled the tanks.
3. Added oil.
4. Parked.

It's in annual now, so no more of that for a while...

Too many to count, and I can count pretty high. My mom said so.

I read the title and mistakenly thought it read:
How many "things" have you done in your plane?

When I started working on my plane a few months ago, I got pretty excited about the possibility of pursuing becoming an A&P while working with a great A&P who became one solely because he wanted to be able to work on his own planes, and now helps the rest of us out. I've since got to know one other A&P very well. The time involved in getting that cert is truly humbling, and they both sort of laughed when I inquired about maybe pursuing mine. 4000 hours.. or full time under an A&P for 30 months for both certs... or 12 to 24 months full time in a part 147 school? Neither the 30 months full time apprentice or a year or more of full time schooling interest me in the least.. I'm retired from my day gig, and the LAST thing I EVER want to do is punch a clock again. The 4000 hours seems pretty much impossible too... except that I've probably got about 80 hours in already on my plane... woohooo... I'm 1/50th of the way there! Who knows...Maybe I should take Tim's advice, jot all down, and log it. Of course, it'd be too depressing... probably should have taken me about 1/4 of that time. Oh well... getting better, eh?

I replaced all the hardware holding my engine together when doing the overhaul, so if you count all the nuts, bolts, and washers it’s several thousand.

I change oil, did assisted Annuals, build a new circuit breaker panel, replaced nav lights, strobes, air filter etc. Everything under supervision of my IA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I replaced all the hardware holding my engine together when doing the overhaul, so if you count all the nuts, bolts, and washers it’s several thousand.

Several thousand? You must have some humongous engine!

Several thousand? You must have some humongous engine!
360 cubic inches. There’s easily a thousand bolts, washers, and nuts on the case, accessory case, and oil pan alone. That’s not counting all the real parts.

There’s more than a hundred parts (101 to be exact) just on the simple oil pan that has no moving parts.

209925DC-674B-4B41-8FE9-E3E793D19F95.png

How much work have I done to my Sport? To much to count. What I have not done is overhaul the engine. Did do a top end on it.

Bought my c140 in November, I have or have had done:

Removal of extra landing light and child’s jump seat
Had hooker harnesses installed
Removed all interior carpet and upholstery (besides seats)
Removed lots of little odds and ends left behind over 73 years, in all have lightened her about 50lbs
Have 3/4 of interior repainted as carpet and upholstery not going back in
Had VGs put on (SIMPLY BEST BANG FOR BUCK IMPROVEMENT I COULD HAVE DONE- UBER HAPPY WITH EM)

Next on list is getting grove solid axles on her... we’re loosing 120s and 140s from axle snaps :(

From day 7, to the present day. I have pretty much disassembled and re assembled everything on my airplane, at least once, painting as I go.

In the 5 years of owning my tiger, besides annuals, I have replaced the brakes, vacuum pump, oil, tires and one fuel drain. Owner assist where applicable.
This year it will hopefully only be adsb, canopy rail inserts, and some LED lights.
I better start knocking on wood, one of these days I’m in for some hurting. Did I mention I am at TBO.

In the 5 years of owning my tiger, besides annuals, I have replaced the brakes, vacuum pump, oil, tires and one fuel drain. Owner assist where applicable.
This year it will hopefully only be adsb, canopy rail inserts, and some LED lights.
I better start knocking on wood, one of these days I’m in for some hurting. Did I mention I am at TBO.

TBO is barely a suggestion...

Correct, but the time is nearer every day. It’s been topped once since 1979.

Oh I know... just giving ya words of encouragement...

I feel the same way about my top... I seem to notice most other Small continentals often seem to like new cylinders half way through, give or take...

I don’t think mine are imminent but likely sooner than later...

And yet it continues...today I'm waiting on UPS to deliver a new aluminum oil fill tube and gasket. Lycoming seems to think a plastic tube is the way to go. The two little safety wire tabs have long since been ripped out and someone drilled a new hole which doesn't really work. I can't get it tight enough to stop seeping (not really a leak as it doesn't end up on the ground, just an annoying wetness around the tube and below on the engine).

I also ordered ADlog which should be coming today as well. I have a friend of a friend who I may be getting a Garmin 430 from for a more than reasonable price (yeah, I know everyone else has moved on to bigger and better) which will take take of the Narco Nav/Comm that needs replaced. That with a new Trig Comm radio and an EI engine monitor...I really don't have anything else to do - but I'm sure that I'll find something.

And yet it continues...today I'm waiting on UPS to deliver a new aluminum oil fill tube and gasket. Lycoming seems to think a plastic tube is the way to go. The two little safety wire tabs have long since been ripped out and someone drilled a new hole which doesn't really work. I can't get it tight enough to stop seeping (not really a leak as it doesn't end up on the ground, just an annoying wetness around the tube and below on the engine).

I also ordered ADlog which should be coming today as well. I have a friend of a friend who I may be getting a Garmin 430 from for a more than reasonable price (yeah, I know everyone else has moved on to bigger and better) which will take take of the Narco Nav/Comm that needs replaced. That with a new Trig Comm radio and an EI engine monitor...I really don't have anything else to do - but I'm sure that I'll find something.

Did you also order a new dipstick so the new one will reach your oil? ;)

Nope. Same length, just made out of aluminum instead of plastic.

It was the old joke about the guy coming into the auto parts store saying he needed a longer dipstick because his couldn’t reach his oil any more. :)

It did cross my mind Nate but its the same part number as the original just a Superior part instead of Lycoming. Got it today and its the same length.

Well FWIW a long piece of machined aluminum with some mass at one end and attached to big 4 banging vibrator sounds like a recipe for metal fatigue. Maybe there is a good place it's clamped to reduce or elimate it but the point stands.

Point taken Brian, however the walls on the new one are pretty thick and there is a lot of mass at the base. If its good enough for a Superior O-320 its good enough for a Lycoming O-320.

That plastic tube is pretty annoying, for sure. Finally got mine to stay put (and not leak) with an application of Loctite 567 on the gasket.

I call the FBO for the fuel truck and sometimes push her back in the hanger... does that count?

I call the FBO for the fuel truck and sometimes push her back in the hanger... does that count?
Don't sell yourself short. Be sure to enter into the log that you changed the air in the cabin. Part 43 requirements and all, you know.

Back