How fast on the ILS..?

I would say flying into a smaller airport with more similar speed aircraft is "safer" than flying into a large airport where the vast majority of planes are doing the approach almost twice as fast as Joe Pilot in his 172.

By putting a plane in the mix that is going half the speed of everyone else, you are throwing a BIG wrench in their sequencing, and they must now divert more attention on you than everyone else. Which I would say degrades safety to some degree.
I understand your point, but the accident record tells us that landing faster than appropriate for the aircraft is a much bigger problem than jets running over light singles when both are under IFR control.

Maybe someone who is bored can research the number of small airplanes which have run off the end of the runway at places like JFK because they were going too fast on final.

Maybe someone who is bored can research the number of small airplanes which have run off the end of the runway at places like JFK because they were going too fast on final.

Let's see the long runway is 14,500' so just short of 3 miles. Yeah, maybe someone can quantify the dangers of overrunning a 172 on that runway?

:lol::lol::lol:

I understand your point, but the accident record tells us that landing faster than appropriate for the aircraft is a much bigger problem than jets running over light singles when both are under IFR control.

Why put yourself in a unnecessary position where either are a major factor?

A line from an old movie comes to mind -- the First Rule of Italian Driving: "What's behind me is not important." To me, being a nice guy means something more like not closing the airport by running off the end of the runway. We get way too many accidents due to pilots trying to land too fast, and as an instructor, I'm going to do my best to help damp down that unnecessary carnage.
A competent instrument pilot will know how fast he can SAFELY come down an ILS. You're doing your students a great disservice if they can't manage anything other than a "normal speed" approach.

Last edited:

Let's see the long runway is 14,500' so just short of 3 miles. Yeah, maybe someone can quantify the dangers of overrunning a 172 on that runway?

:lol::lol::lol:

If you have 14,500 ft, you should be able to come in at a 172 over the numbers at Vne and still be stopped by the end.

If you have 14,500 ft, you should be able to come in at a 172 over the numbers at Vne and still be stopped by the end.
'Zactly. When I fly into PHX, I'm typically going 150-160 on final and don't start pulling the power back until I'm approaching the fence. I land with partial flaps and still use less than half the runway.

Beats me. Taking a 172 into JFK, ORD, ATL, etc., doesn't make much sense at all on any level.

Hmm...I don't have a 172, but if I did, it wouldn't have deterred me from going. I've been there a few times now....3 times for a meeting with a client who is based right next to the airport (tried driving once and vowed to not do it again unless absolutely necessary), and once to catch an airline flight.

Does that really make no sense at any level?

Last edited:
A competent instrument pilot will know how fast he can SAFELY come down an ILS. You're doing your students a great disservice if they can't manage anything other than a "normal speed" approach.

Is that how you learned to do it fast? From an instructor?

Is that how you learned to do it fast? From an instructor?

My CFII had me fly approaches at various airspeeds. Does this surprise you?

And there isn't much 'learning' to it. You fly the approach essentially the same, but you need to think ahead and anticipate more the faster you are going.

My CFII had me fly approaches at various airspeeds. Does this surprise you?

And there isn't much 'learning' to it. You fly the approach essentially the same, but you need to think ahead and anticipate more the faster you are going.

Yep. When I was going through my instrument training my instructor had me fly a bunch of different "abnormal" ILSs once I got the procedure basics down. Very useful.

Yep. When I was going through my instrument training my instructor had me fly a bunch of different "abnormal" ILSs once I got the procedure basics down. Very useful.
Mine as well. I think it's a disservice to the student if the CFII sticks to the book and doesn't have you deviate... I hear that pretty often; "There's no need to go faster than normal. Just us the magic "unable."" They seem to fail to realize that shooting a fast approach isn't only for traffic sequencing, but rather emergencies. I feel everyone, both in training and after, should practice and be comfortable shooting an ILS to mins near Vne...

Mine as well. I think it's a disservice to the student if the CFII sticks to the book and doesn't have you deviate... I hear that pretty often; "There's no need to go faster than normal. Just us the magic "unable."" They seem to fail to realize that shooting a fast approach isn't only for traffic sequencing, but rather emergencies. I feel everyone, both in training and after, should practice and be comfortable shooting an ILS to mins near Vne...

So, supposing you break out at 200 AGL at Vne - what's your strategy to slow down given that you are well above gear and flap speeds?

Not necessarily disagreeing with your point, but I'm curious...

So, supposing you break out at 200 AGL at Vne - what's your strategy to slow down given that you are well above gear and flap speeds?

Slip.

I think there is a big difference between flying an approach fast and flying it at Vne.

So after pages and pages, where is the Boogey Man?

Let's say you dive the intrepid 172 at VNE and for whatever reason you can't slow down enough to land on a Class B runway. Do you throw up your hands, auger it in, and create a giant Christmas fireball? No, you simply add power, fly the missed, and set it up again. Big whoop.

Again, this is all situation dependent. In my daily driver Caravan, it's pretty easy to cross the threshold at Vmo and stop within in about 3,500'.

In something like a Skyhawk, the type of situation I have in mind for a Vne approach would be similar to the AOPA Real Pilot Story, posted below. If the plane's on fire, I'm not gonna worry about the gear or flaps. Just gonna belly it on and slide to a stop.

Last edited:
And as Alex said, sure for practice, don't worry about actually touching down if you don't have a nice long runway to practice with. Just go missed.

And by practicing at Vne/Vmo for worst-case, then you're now comfortable to push it up a bit when it's something as simple as helping ATC with sequencing.

Have you guys never been asked to keep your speed up on an approach? That's not what ATC asks you to do, nor is it what they expect. Without exception they will ask you to keep your speed up to a certain fix at which point you can slow down, reconfigure as necessary, and land. The trick is maintaining your profile on the ILS while you're decelerating.

..without exception....

Ok, here's an exception. When I flew into JFK last week, the TOWER (not approach) asked a jet what her speed was, "180", "great, keep that going as long as you can."

This was inside the 5 mile fix. It wasn't a formal speed restriction, but it was a request from ATC to avoid compression.

So you're going to race a plane down a glideslope at redline, pop out (hopefully) 200ft above the runway, then yank back on the yoke and throw the plane sideways while still near structural limit speed and under the very low clouds?:nono:

And who is going to pay the repair bill?:mad2:

I myself normally try to keep speeds out of the yellow arc during all phases of flight, and get in the white arc either at the FAF or shortly thereafter. But with a raging fire onboard (or perhaps a very ill passenger), I'd sure as hell want to get on the ground ASAP, so knowing how to keep the speed up and slow down enough to land on tarmac is an essential skill. And even in an emergency I'd still slip down to (initial) flap extension speed, since I wouldn't want them to jam.

Last edited:
On a tangent here, but how does one determine the upper speed limit for a slip?

Doing that above Va sounds a bit questionable.

This! Plenty of good reasons for knowing how to fly a fast approach.

Part of the training and practice for fast approaches is knowing when you need to start slowing down to land safely. In the 182 "drag-o-matic", I could take it down to about 300 AGL at cruise power and slightly greater than cruise speed (due to the descent) and be at landing speed crossing the threshold. In the Mooney, I need a lot more room than that, even with speed brakes.

Ok, here's an exception. When I flew into JFK last week, the TOWER (not approach) asked a jet what her speed was, "180", "great, keep that going as long as you can."

This was inside the 5 mile fix. It wasn't a formal speed restriction, but it was a request from ATC to avoid compression.
OK, so it was an exception to the rule - that happens and I should have known better to put it the way I did. I fly into John Wayne (SNA) on a very regular basis and those guys are masters at working the conga line. Listen, no one will expect you to fly your light single, twin or even jet at Warp Factor 3 to the runway threshold. I don't care what you fly or whether your IFR or VFR, it's incumbent upon a competent pilot to know how to fly a fast approach and at what point he needs to back off and get things stabilized for the landing. It's called Basic Airmanship - Don't leave home without it. ;)

Last edited:
Another situation calling for a faster than normal approach would be an iced-up airplane.

Another situation calling for a faster than normal approach would be an iced-up airplane.

Yep. The recent ice placard AD for non-FIKI Twin Cessnas recommended something like 13 or 18 MPH faster than normal on approach and landing. I usually do more than that if I have ice.

Only skimmed the thread, but no way would I red line a small airplane over the threshold. That's asking for trouble imo. I know there's a flare and speed bleeds off, but the touchdown still may be over tire speed, especially at high altitude airports. Also, if you land at flying speed a small gust can really throw you.
I appreciate everyone keeping their speed up as to not slow down the final, but sometimes you can't get off the runway because you float 2000 ft and can't stop.

Last airplane I flew was a Citation X. Normally 135 on final and bleed off another 5-10 crossing numbers. We flew a stabilized approach profile for configuration, but would brief that extra 10 kts.

JMHO

Back