How does the FAA research people's medical history

I've said this so many times is so many strings I'm getting blue in the face...

When you get "investigated" all your certifications get researched. They can quickly find what is in the insurance database. If you are 30, third grade was 20 years ago. There was no database. If you are 18, it was only 8 years ago and there was a database.

Many folks see counselors....and pay cash for this exact reason.

So does the FAA know everything about my history even if it wasnt reported on my form? Do they know I had strep throat in the third grade or do they just go off of what I report. I'm confused

They have droves of researchers doing backgrounds on every applicant, they go check with your school teachers and such like with a security clearance.

Ah ok, so they just go through your medical insurance and see what it payed for? Makes sense.

(If thats not the insurance you are refering too I will feel like an idiot)

Like a school truancy officer?

They aren't 'school' truancy officers, they are the Po-po. Who do you think tracks your sick days during school and checks up with your doctor? They also are the guardians of your "Permanent Record"...:popcorn:

They aren't 'school' truancy officers, they are the Po-po. Who do you think tracks you sick days during school and checks up with your doctor? They also are the guardians of your "Permanent Record"...:popcorn:

my truancy officer, principal, vice principal, and counselor are all the same person. I'm homeschooled :D

my truancy officer, principal, vice principal, and counselor are all the same person. I'm homeschooled :D

No sir, your Truancy officer is still the police, they have have double secret probation papers on troublemakers like you that are tied to the FBI records of your subversive parents....

:D I am master of subversion

Speaking of subs, that reminds me of this little story from Callahans Crosstime Bar by Spider Robinson:

The WWII British spy Harry Lime was on board a US submarine en route to his next assignment, when he unexpectedly began seeing double vision. The sub was off the eastern US coast, and so plans were changed so that Lime could be seen by a doctor at Walter Reed Hospital in Bethesda, Maryland. The sub's captain was suspicious that Lime was actually faking the illness, presumably to go visit a former flame in Annapolis. When the sub pulled into port, he ordered the spy, "You go straight from the sub, Lime, to the Reed oculist!"

Um, sorry, what was this thread about?

So does the FAA know everything about my history even if it wasnt reported on my form? Do they know I had strep throat in the third grade or do they just go off of what I report. I'm confused

Hmmmmmmmmmm

(quietly noting David White had strep throat in third grade, didn't report)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

;)

> that cluster is assigned for acceptance of AME records via pdf files.

That may be the party line, but CAMI bought a MUCH MORE capable system
than what is required to accept PDFs from AMEs.

I believe lying on medical and gives the insurance company a legal way to avoid paying the claim if something happens.

So, if there is an incident and others are injured or there is significant property damage, even though you may not have actually done something to cause the accident, you might end up a pauper for life.

Keep in mind that the big government push toward electronic medical records will alter the equation. Significantly. The goal is to generate lifetime records kept in a data warehouse.

Some medical facilities are already running DNA tests and medical backgrounds to tailor medicine to your particular DNA.

The ability to "pay cash" and avoid the MIB record will be gone in the future. It may not be MIB, but it will be some kind of database. And it will be accessible to the government.

So it looks like those who want to " fly under the radar" will be delegated to running across the border to Tijuana and getting medical help at a "clinic".

Oh don't worry, those medications sold down there are just as good as the real thing.......

Keep in mind that the big government push toward electronic medical records will alter the equation. Significantly. The goal is to generate lifetime records kept in a data warehouse.

Some medical facilities are already running DNA tests and medical backgrounds to tailor medicine to your particular DNA.

The ability to "pay cash" and avoid the MIB record will be gone in the future. It may not be MIB, but it will be some kind of database. And it will be accessible to the government.

So basically they're going to use it to catch people who are taking medecines they shouldnt be taking and flying? I kinda like that idea. I think a month or two ago there was a guy that crashed his R44. They did a report on what medecines he was taking. The verdict? Everything :rofl:

Hmmmmmmmmmm

(quietly noting David White had strep throat in third grade, didn't report)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

;)

Crap did I report my tonsils were removed due to recurring strep throat in HS? That was a SURGERY. If it was on the form I would have for sure. Thank goodness I still have my uvula.

I'm 56 years old. I have had a number of jobs in a number of locations, a large number of medical providers, etc.

In my lifetime I have recieved several, what I consider to be quack diagnoses from people that advertise themself as doctors, medical professionsls etc.

I just walk away from those people as unworthy to file and collect on my insurance policy in the future.

What I have seen of the psychobabble industry just reeks of insurance fraud in my mind. Half of the "diseases" they apparently are allowed to collect on for income is what I would call unexpected behavior. So much expected behavior in our society is illogical financially and otherwise, I wouldn't go to a psychobabble practicioner unless I got a portion of the insurance money as a kickback.

I don't believe those people can cure anything.

I've read that many surgical procedures medical treatments are not scientifically proven to be acccepted, but are routinely performed. Where is the oversite on the medical industry, peer review?

I believe lying on medical and gives the insurance company a legal way to avoid paying the claim if something happens.

So, if there is an incident and others are injured or there is significant property damage, even though you may not have actually done something to cause the accident, you might end up a pauper for life.

Without sending this directly to the spin-zone, I would simply point out that our government, in it's current form, is going to do that to me anyway.

How about a scenario like this......

On the 8500 application it asks, "...have you ever used an illegal substance in the past 2 years.." What if, hypothetically, someone smoked mj early in their college years. So in fact they haven't done any illegal substance in 2 years, but on their patient health history form with their personal physician they had checked "yes" to "have you used marijuana"... Would the FAA be able to view this record? Or if they couldn't view it now what if, said person, violated an FAR and was under investigation? Although I don't see how this person could get in trouble for lying on the application, I wonder if the FAA would request further information about it...

Maybe Dr. Bruce would know the ins and outs of this sort of situation?

How about a scenario like this......

On the 8500 application it asks, "...have you ever used an illegal substance in the past 2 years.." What if, hypothetically, someone smoked mj early in their college years. So in fact they haven't done any illegal substance in 2 years, but on their patient health history form with their personal physician they had checked "yes" to "have you used marijuana"... Would the FAA be able to view this record? Or if they couldn't view it now what if, said person, violated an FAR and was under investigation? Although I don't see how this person could get in trouble for lying on the application, I wonder if the FAA would request further information about it...

Maybe Dr. Bruce would know the ins and outs of this sort of situation?
If there is an investigation, all the diagnosis codes in your medical history will be instantly available to the examiners in OKC. They pull PILOT certificates for that.

Thus my mantra: "is it okay if I lie?"
".....Only until you get caught".

If you are honest you can get a special issuance with a year of "they call you pee" at ~$50 per pop. You'll need a medical AME sponsor to run the program and will need a trip to the substance abuse evaluator (3rd class) or to a psychiatrist (upper classes), and some documentable "recovery-maintainence" activities....

Or you can lie. Then at any time later in your career, if you bust or bend metal, you simply lose your pilot certificates. That's how it goes.

If there is an investigation, all the diagnosis codes in your medical history will be instantly available to the examiners in OKC. They pull PILOT certificates for that.

Thus my mantra: "is it okay if I lie?"
".....Only until you get caught".

If you are honest you can get a special issuance with a year of "they call you pee" at ~$50 per pop. You'll need a medical AME sponsor to run the program and will need a trip to the substance abuse evaluator (3rd class) or to a psychiatrist (upper classes), and some documentable "recovery-maintainence" activities....

Or you can lie. Then at any time later in your career, if you bust or bend metal, you simply lose your pilot certificates. That's how it goes.

Sorry, but I am somewhat confused about your explanation here Dr. Bruce.. Is it considered lying when the application specifically asks for a 2 year history? I understand the ramifications of someone lying on their medical form, but what exactly are "diagnosis codes"? As far as I know this person was not diagnosed with any type of drug abuse or dependence, it was just noted that they had partaken in the activity in the past.. Sorry again, but I am new to all of this..

Sorry, but I am somewhat confused about your explanation here Dr. Bruce.. Is it considered lying when the application specifically asks for a 2 year history? I understand the ramifications of someone lying on their medical form, but what exactly are "diagnosis codes"? As far as I know this person was not diagnosed with any type of drug abuse or dependence, it was just noted that they had partaken in the activity in the past.. Sorry again, but I am new to all of this..
18v: It asks for visits to all health professionals in the last 3 years, also demands to know if you've ever had the license (even pro-forma) suspended or substituted by an educational course.

18n. asks have you "ever in your life had substance dependence, or failed a drug test ever, or substance abuse or USE OF ILLEGAL SUBSTANCE IN THE LAST 2 YEARS." You if you're more than 2 years out, you're going to say, "Yeah I used it but I never abused it or was dependent". Better have some documentation for that. The only way I know how to do that is: Substance evaluation by a state licensed (sometimes they do acquit the airman! :) ) evaluator, DL and state Felony/misdemeanor search, and negative hair test.

I suppose if all the boxes 18v, 18w are negative, and you didn't come to the attention of the law, you can answer 18n "no", as there is no record anyplace.

They're pretty hard on this (mandated by Congress). And they're hard on AMEs, too.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back