How does the FAA research people's medical history

The question is not "will the FAA find out?" We can't advise you to lie or otherwise cheat on your medical. I can tell you that when they do find out and you're not DEAD in the wreckage of the incident, you're going to be in deep doodoo (i.e., you can expect to lose ALL your certificates).

Now if the question is, I was prescribed an anti-depressant and now what do I do, that is a different question. The answer will depend on:

1. Why you were prescribed it.
2. If you took it and how long a period.
3. How long it's been since you stopped if you did.

If you have an ACTUAL question rather than a vague hypothetical (especially one that would imply you intend to commit a crime just because you don't believe you can be detected), then ask it.

I know of two friends who were pilots who were found post-mortem in air crashes to have been taking substantial amounts of banned substances and for reasons that likely would have been disqualifying as well. Did it cause the crashes that killed them? I would tend to think not, but boy even after death it's caused substantial problems for their surviving family.

It is not me, but I am aware of the activity and it was reported. My question was what is the procedure the FAA follows with a report of this nature. The pilot has been contacted, so I am sure he knows what the procedure is, or is finding out. I emailed with Bruce C, and he provided me with good information

It is not me, but I am aware of the activity and it was reported. My question was what is the procedure the FAA follows with a report of this nature. The pilot has been contacted, so I am sure he knows what the procedure is, or is finding out. I emailed with Bruce C, and he provided me with good information

What I am not clear about is: Did The FAA already find out an now you're trying to walk it back and perhaps get it excluded in an evidentiary hearing? Methinks thou art a lawyer, no?

I am not the pilot! I came here to try and get information about the process. The pilot in question would already be aware of the process, since they have been contacted by the FAA.

Again, Bruce C. was extremely helpful in answering my questions. Thank you also to the people on this site that tried to offer productive answers.

Airman sign away any confidentiality granted under HIPAA specifically to the FAA when completing their application for a medical certificate. I haven't looked into what authority the agency has to pull medical records for sport pilots, but under any circumstance they have authority to subpoena medical records in the course of an accident investigation.

I have heard this before and don't have a problem with it if it is true because I answered the questions honestly, but where does it say that? I just looked thru MedXpress and the only thing I saw was that you were authorizing access to the National Drivers Registry, it didn't say anything about authorizing access to medical records. If you are involved in an accident I believe that they have to subpoena your records to get access.

Of course you are giving them permission to have access to anything that happens at the medical but I don't see anything that authorizes them access to any other records without a specific request and your express consent.

Even though I am not a pilot and getting grief for asking a question on here, I will share what Bruce responded to me. Even though it would take a criminal investigation to subpoena records, your prescription and insurance information ( codes) can be accessed by the FAA, should a suspicion arise. (accident or falsifying reported)

Even though I am not a pilot and getting grief for asking a question on here, I will share what Bruce responded to me. Even though it would take a criminal investigation to subpoena records, your prescription and insurance information ( codes) can be accessed by the FAA, should a suspicion arise. (accident or falsifying reported)

Ok, that makes sense to me, I just didn't see anything on the form where that is authorized. From the purpose of the form I would think that authorization is implied but I thought that in medical matters the authorization had to be explicit.

I recall several years ago, the FAA cross referenced records from their data base with those of the Social Security Administration, Looking for airmen who filed for SSD.

Our only hope as the human race is I.T. Departments world wide, who by incompetence or by design are working hard to keep
Skynet from becoming self aware.:D

Last summer while at the Academy I was talking to one of the attorneys that works at MMAC, specifically CAMI.

I made a joke that must be an easy job, and he told me on average he (his office) does approximately 500 enforcements a year.

So just keep telling yourself "no one is looking". :rolleyes:

500 out of how many airmen?

As someone who doesn't even take Advil for a headache, I don't have a horse in this race.

That said, if it's not in a database with your name etc and outside of someone testing you, no one is ever going to be the wiser.

I recall several years ago, the FAA cross referenced records from their data base with those of the Social Security Administration, Looking for airmen who filed for SSD.

You're probably thinking of FAA v Cooper:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Aviation_Administration_v._Cooper

"The district court held that the Government violated the Privacy Act, but that the Act only allows recovery for pecuniary damages." The case went to the Supreme court, which didn't seem to change the finding of a violation of the privacy act, but "The Supreme Court held that the Privacy Act does not unequivocally authorize an award of damages for mental or emotional distress. Accordingly, the Act does not waive the Federal Government's sovereign immunity from the liability."

So while the Feds may violate the law, they can't be held liable. Makes it almost a useless law, except I suppose that any evidence so obtained shouldn't be allowed in court cases or (presumably) administrative actions.

EDIT: Actually you were probably thinking of "Operation Safe Pilot" not a court case.

Last edited:
The FAA has been violating the privacy act nearly every day for the past twenty years and NOTHING happens.

I am aware that the FAA does cross reference government databases listing people on various forms of disability. Those are all government records.

I'm skeptical that the FAA can just fish in private sector prescription or medical records 'just because'.

Well, look at it this way: With the government-mandated move to electronic medical records, whatever privacy you thought you had with regard to medical records will soon be ancient history anyway; so it's really a moot point.

But on the bright side, at least when your identity is stolen, your medical records can be stolen to go with it. This way the thief will at least be able to properly care for your identity.

Rich

I am aware that the FAA does cross reference government databases listing people on various forms of disability. Those are all government records.

I'm skeptical that the FAA can just fish in private sector prescription or medical records 'just because'.

They'd have to issue a subpoena. And before that they'd have to start an investigation, which they wouldn't do without some cause justifying it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back